Falcons Fan MVP

Any chance Devonta Freeman takes a pay cut next year and stays with the Falcons?

140 posts in this topic

Do you think there is a realistic possibility Devonta Freeman will take a pay cut to stay with the Falcons next year? Even if we draft a running back it will probably take 2-3 years before they are ready. Freeman appears to be the best option for running back next year but too expensive. 

I would rather go with a more dynamic back, and also save some money going forward. Rookie RBs for the most part, can come in and make an impact early on.

If Free still has life in him, I would rather watch him succeed somewhere else. I always preferred Teco when he was here.

ryantlanta, Osiruz and rugger8 like this

So many hate on Free, he’s in the wrong scheme this year.  If Teco was paid and in this scheme and Free went to SF it would be the reverse narrative, but oh well.  I’m willing to wait until we see him in any other scheme other than Dirk’s to make my judgement on him.

3 minutes ago, Rings said:

So many hate on Free, he’s in the wrong scheme this year.  If Teco was paid and in this scheme and Free went to SF it would be the reverse narrative, but oh well.  I’m willing to wait until we see him in any other scheme other than Dirk’s to make my judgement on him.

I hate on Free because his biggest asset used to be his field vision, which seems to be gone.  He doesn't recognize holes in his periphery anymore.  He has also lost a step.  Those injuries have been adding up.

Emmitt likes this

2 minutes ago, robertap said:

I hate on Free because his biggest asset used to be his field vision, which seems to be gone.  He doesn't recognize holes in his periphery anymore.  He has also lost a step.  Those injuries have been adding up.

1) there haven’t been holes, our backs have one of the worst yards before contact in the league. 2) he thrives in and outsize zone scheme, not a power scheme.  3) he looked slow his rookie year under Dirk as well.  I don’t think he is as fast as he was three years ago, but I think it is a lazy narrative people like to use to just chalk it up to injury instead of really looking at root cause.  Go watch video of him in 2014.  He doesn’t look anything like he did in 15/16 from a speed/vision stand point.

I wouldn't, if I was him. Unless there was more years and money over time. Freeman can still run and run hard, this trash offense is Killin him. He's still better than Hill and Ollison. Doesn't matter, there is no where for none of them to run. Only problem with Free, is building injuries, age, and Cap hit. We just can't afford to be paying alot for a RB.

Edited by THEHEADCOACH
Vandy and Nino11 like this

4 hours ago, Rings said:

What's crazy is he was drafted when Dirk was here before so Dirk must have wanted him.

3 minutes ago, Falcons Fan MVP said:

What's crazy is he was drafted when Dirk was here before so Dirk must have wanted him.

Shanahan wanted him in Cleveland as well. Or was that Coleman. It was one of them

*Old Pappy Falcon* likes this

4 hours ago, Rings said:

1) there haven’t been holes, our backs have one of the worst yards before contact in the league. 2) he thrives in and outsize zone scheme, not a power scheme.  3) he looked slow his rookie year under Dirk as well.  I don’t think he is as fast as he was three years ago, but I think it is a lazy narrative people like to use to just chalk it up to injury instead of really looking at root cause.  Go watch video of him in 2014.  He doesn’t look anything like he did in 15/16 from a speed/vision stand point.

This.

Emmitt and Rings like this

Why would he take a pay cut? How does that help the team?

Why would it take a new back 2-3 years to be ready? 

5 hours ago, Rings said:
  1. There haven’t been holes, our backs have one of the worst yards before contact in the league.
  2. He thrives in and outsize zone scheme, not a power scheme. 
  3. He looked slow his rookie year under Dirk as well.  I don’t think he is as fast as he was three years ago, but I think it is a lazy narrative people like to use to just chalk it up to injury instead of really looking at root cause.  Go watch video of him in 2014.  He doesn’t look anything like he did in 15/16 from a speed/vision stand point.

I am hesitant to pass  judgement on any of our backs due to the poor blocking and scheme fits for the talent we have.   For me, my biggest issue with Free is his cap hit.  I get why we paid him but the ROI is not there anymore even if it is not necessarily his fault.  Pretending I am GM, for 2020 I would draft a dynamic back in 3rd or 4th, post June 1 Free, work to make Ollison a Hybrid FB/HB and let Ito, Hill and UDFAs duke it out for RB3.   I would not be opposed to keeping Barner around as a PR who can fill in as he's been pretty good in all roles.

Rings likes this

1 hour ago, lju713 said:

Swift. If we trade down to get picks. Or trade back into the 1st.

What he said. Swift wouldnt take 2 years to get going just like Josh Jacobs didnt. Defumblè can go get paid elsewhere, he is slower and only fits in a zbs. 

lju713 likes this

35 minutes ago, Jesus said:

Why would he take a pay cut? How does that help the team?

Why would it take a new back 2-3 years to be ready? 

This. If they pick the right guy at RB he could make an immediate impact as a rookie. Doesn’t take 2-3 years. 

Boise Falcon Fan likes this

6 hours ago, Rings said:

1) there haven’t been holes, our backs have one of the worst yards before contact in the league. 2) he thrives in and outsize zone scheme, not a power scheme.  3) he looked slow his rookie year under Dirk as well.  I don’t think he is as fast as he was three years ago, but I think it is a lazy narrative people like to use to just chalk it up to injury instead of really looking at root cause.  Go watch video of him in 2014.  He doesn’t look anything like he did in 15/16 from a speed/vision stand point.

I think it's lazy to not see that he just isn't that good anymore...

1 hour ago, Vandy said:

This.

No, it's not. He doesn't run near as hard as he used to, and that is a direct result of the injuries. He doesn't finish runs like he used to.  He dances around like a fool when he doesn't have the quickness to do so. Many times he could get the first down, but he dances around instead of turning up field. The guy is awful...

6 hours ago, Rings said:

I like you more and more with each post.  Post more often

If anyone disagrees, check out our stuffed % and 2nd level yards

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ol/2019

Osiruz and Rings like this