FalconFan1st

How to fix a horrid O line?

69 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, MAD597 said:

Yep TD must be fired. In TDs 12 years here the only two players he drafted or signed as FAs on the OL that were any good over multiple years were Matthew's and Mack. Mack was a no brainer at the time as well.

I love this can’t draft LoS stuff yet 6 playoff appearances in his 12 years yet the previous GMs must have sucked monkeys *** worse because they managed a whole 8 playoff appearances in the previous 42 years.

You know how pathetic this narrative is even with this supposed weakness TD has managed to build a consistent winner and had the chance to win it all probably on 2 or 3 occasions if not for poor coaching among other things.

So again there are many ways to skin a cat then just build through the lines pretending that’s thee only way you can win in this league.

19 minutes ago, Cheap Talk said:

I do not want to replace Ryan, but watched the NO game again and saw some very alarming things out of Ryan. In several of the sacks he held the ball for way too long, and the commentator Dungy even said the same. Ryan and the coaching staff are not helping the OL out this year, while they should be learning how to gel with each other. Hate to say it, but Ryan looked lost without Jones/Hooper! 

The fail of the OL is a team effort.

Ryan's worst two years in sacks per game were in 2013 and 2019, both under Dirk.  He is being sacked 1.5 more times per game this year and his career average.  I posted this in another thread.  Since 2016 it's the least amount of 2 tight ends sets called, most sacks per game, longest time from snap to pass, lowest yards per attempt, lowest QBR.  This is more on scheme and play calling than anything else.

3 hours ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:
  • Cut Mack, Carpenter and Sombrero for $11.8M in cap relief
  • Move Lindstrom to OC
  • Move Jaymon to the left side. Of the bench
  • Move McGary to RG
  • Move Bloodline to RT
  • Draft Thomas for LT
  • Sign a free agent LG
  • Sign a back up swing tackle

I don't agree with you often but I could co-sign this. It's drastic which is exactly what needs to be done to the OLine

3 hours ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:
  • Cut Mack, Carpenter and Sombrero for $11.8M in cap relief
  • Move Lindstrom to OC
  • Move Jaymon to the left side. Of the bench
  • Move McGary to RG
  • Move Bloodline to RT
  • Draft Thomas for LT
  • Sign a free agent LG
  • Sign a back up swing tackle

I don't agree with you often but I could co-sign this. It's drastic which is exactly what needs to be done to the OLine

Just now, Schwarzwald said:

Simple:

Lol and coaching but we have no talent and TD can’t draft oline yet KS gets Falcon hand me downs is still able to run his offense effectively.

When the 2’ in front of the face crowd get there noses off the glass and widen there gaze maybe we might make some head way here.

Schwarzwald, Rings and The Don™ like this

3 hours ago, Falcons Fan MVP said:

I think we probably should taken the money we paid Julio and used it on the offensive line and had Ridley, Hooper and kept Sanu and let Julio walk in 2021 because he will be almost out of prime. Lindstrom and McGrary is a good start though.

It's already the highest paid OL in the league. I doubt that throwing even more money at it would have given better results. 

30 minutes ago, kiwifalcon said:

Lol and coaching but we have no talent and TD can’t draft oline yet KS gets Falcon hand me downs is still able to run his offense effectively.

When the 2’ in front of the face crowd get there noses off the glass and widen there gaze maybe we might make some head way here.

This.  We get a WCO OC next year and suddenly the line looks better, Ryan looks better, WRs will look better being schemed open vs just winning 1on1s and Freeman looks to have found the fountain of youth.

Unleash the best the ol player on the team ……  Gonobeast is ready to destroy.  Highest graded ol in the preseason.  Time to see what he can do anywhere on the line.  Go youth

1 hour ago, kiwifalcon said:

I love this can’t draft LoS stuff yet 6 playoff appearances in his 12 years yet the previous GMs must have sucked monkeys *** worse because they managed a whole 8 playoff appearances in the previous 42 years.

You know how pathetic this narrative is even with this supposed weakness TD has managed to build a consistent winner and had the chance to win it all probably on 2 or 3 occasions if not for poor coaching among other things.

So again there are many ways to skin a cat then just build through the lines pretending that’s thee only way you can win in this league.

Dallas Cowboys should be the prime example of having an "Elite" Oline, that can run the ball, yet no rings.

Yes, poor coaching is involved, but simply building an Oline doesn't guarantee success.

21 minutes ago, ZoneOne01 said:

The Dimitroff defense force is up late tonight. 

I don't care if he stays or goes to be honest, but I think the offensive line looks a lot worse because most of them were brought here for a different scheme than Dirk is running, and as much as I wanted to see Quinn succeed here long term, I think the coaching has been more the issue than the talent.  We have had the best run in franchise history since TD has been here, could it be better?  For sure.  But on the other side the grass isn't always greener.  For years this franchise was void of much talent, now fans complain that we have kept too much and its hamstrung us.  Would much rather have the second problem than the first.

4 hours ago, Flyin' In DC said:

Would you take Thomas in top 5? That seems where our pick will end up. I know this depends on new coach but do you draft solely on the lines? Or at least mostly? 

Hail yeah. Draft for the future. Don’t get caught up in Dimi draft holes.

6 minutes ago, Geaux_Falcons said:

Dallas Cowboys should be the prime example of having an "Elite" Oline, that can run the ball, yet no rings.

Yes, poor coaching is involved, but simply building an Oline doesn't guarantee success.

Browns in 2015 had:

LT: Joe Thomas
LG: Joel Bitonio
C: Alex Mack
RG: John Greco
RT: Mitchell Schwartz

They finished 3-13.  You don't need an elite offensive line, you just can't have it be a liability.  

Geaux_Falcons and Schwarzwald like this

1 minute ago, Rings said:

Browns in 2015 had:

LT: Joe Thomas
LG: Joel Bitonio
C: Alex Mack
RG: John Greco
RT: Mitchell Schwartz

They finished 3-13.

I was going to use them as well, but some never knew how good that Oline was. Most only knew Thomas & Mack.

Rings and ATLSlobberKnockers like this

23 minutes ago, A-TowN.- said:

Fire Koetter & run a new scheme.

For the life of me, I don't get what happened to the Quinn that required Shanny to be his OC before being hired in 2015 to hiring an alcoholic with big question marks and then somebody who has no feel for the modern NFL game. 

I used to admire Quinn for his vision and direction but he was never able to replace Shanny with anybody competent.

Rings and PokerSteve like this