Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Carter

December 2019 Recruiting Thread

1 minute ago, Turkeydawg said:

When you have Simmons and Landers, teams could bring their cb’s down into the box, knowing that those two yahoo’s won’t catch any ball thrown their way.

Agreed.  Last reply on this subject.  Honestly, I bet Landers only catches 1/4 of perfectly thrown balls his way.  Amazing how poorly he catches.   On Simmons one good catch, the replay showed it was a vey awkward catch.

I wonder if maybe Cortez Hankton is a poor coach.    I heard about all the drills LSU receivers did in offseason that were innovative - we need something there.

13 minutes ago, Turkeydawg said:

When you have Simmons and Landers, teams could bring their cb’s down into the box, knowing that those two yahoo’s won’t catch any ball thrown their way.

yep our wr recruiting and evaluation has been pretty bad.. 

10 minutes ago, usmcdirtybird said:

What do you think about Chad Morris as OC or co-OC?

Morris has been on my want list for OC or co-OC or support staff since he got fired. Seems like a no brainer. Coley may be a lights out recruiter but he is not a QB coach and he seems to be a mediocre OC. 

7 minutes ago, Carter said:

Morris has been on my want list for OC or co-OC or support staff since he got fired. Seems like a no brainer. Coley may be a lights out recruiter but he is not a QB coach and he seems to be a mediocre OC. 

Maybe FAU will make us make a move.  I think we need definitely need a QB coach and need to change the regiment of the WRs.  Landers needs to told to seek another college.    

1 hour ago, Carter said:

If Kirby doesn’t make a strong move with more offensive brainpower on staff in next week, it will set the program back a few years.

19 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

If Kirby doesn’t make a strong move with more offensive brainpower on staff in next week, it will set the program back a few years.

I don’t know about that, our team is loaded and got more help coming in soon. Like I’ve said since we lost to Bama in the 2017 title game, UGA will be there every year with a chance at the end of the season. No one in the East is going to beat us for the division in the foreseeable future.

If he doesn’t make some changes I absolutely will not expect to win the SEC again though. 

Very frustrating to think about. Our defense will likely be just as good or better next year. If we could make some key staff improvements and field a dangerous offense, we could be a clear #1 type of team. I have a hard time believing Coley is the guy who will do it as OC and QB coach. Fromm played better as a freshman. 

6 minutes ago, Carter said:

I don’t know about that, our team is loaded and got more help coming in soon. Like I’ve said since we lost to Bama in the 2017 title game, UGA will be there every year with a chance at the end of the season. No one in the East is going to beat us for the division in the foreseeable future.

If he doesn’t make some changes I absolutely will not expect to win the SEC again though. 

Very frustrating to think about. Our defense will likely be just as good or better next year. If we could make some key staff improvements and field a dangerous offense, we could be a clear #1 type of team. I have a hard time believing Coley is the guy who will do it as OC and QB coach. Fromm played better as a freshman. 

But that’s what I am saying.   Winning the SEC East - that’s not moving the needle anymore.  We can probably stay the same for 1-2yrs but eventually you won’t get the recruits anymore.

Kirby thinks he can recruit his way out of it.   I am not so sure - he has got to upgrade his offensive philosophy to actually achieve what he and what we all want.

3 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

But that’s what I am saying.   Winning the SEC East - that’s not moving the needle anymore.  We can probably stay the same for 1-2yrs but eventually you won’t get the recruits anymore.

Kirby thinks he can recruit his way out of it.   I am not so sure - he has got to upgrade his offensive philosophy to actually achieve what he and what we all want.

I don’t know what Kirby thinks. I know everyone with any access says he’s willing to change and almost everyone who doesn’t have access says he’s a control freak who handcuffs the offense. He made what appears to be a poor hire with Coley. I don’t think it would set the program back a few years but he certainly needs to make some improvements to get over the hump. The offense cost this team both losses this year. I don’t think Kirby will get the same type of longevity Richt got if he doesn’t get over that hump.

10 hours ago, Carter said:

I don’t know what Kirby thinks. I know everyone with any access says he’s willing to change and almost everyone who doesn’t have access says he’s a control freak who handcuffs the offense. He made what appears to be a poor hire with Coley. I don’t think it would set the program back a few years but he certainly needs to make some improvements to get over the hump. The offense cost this team both losses this year. I don’t think Kirby will get the same type of longevity Richt got if he doesn’t get over that hump.

I know that behind closed doors, the entire staff has been willing to make excuses that our problems simply stem from poor wide receiver play and Jake Fromm getting into his own head. I don't know whether or not last night has changed that, but I really hope it open the Kirby's eyes to the reality that this offense will not win a championship. You can't play perfect defense, and hold on in hopes of winning in this day's game. Holding is not called, and the system's simply work too well to win a championship scoring under 30 against top opponents.

10 hours ago, Carter said:

So you disagree with @SacFalcFan then?

Sac said  from all he knows Kirby is pretty stubborn right now.   I will let him state it in his words though.

3 hours ago, g-dawg said:

So you disagree with @SacFalcFan then?

Sac said  from all he knows Kirby is pretty stubborn right now.   I will let him state it in his words though.

I’m echoing what folks like Bulldog Bob and cassiegracesdad have said repeatedly about Kirby evaluating every part of the team and being willing to make changes.

I do think he is stubborn though. How stubborn with staff decisions, I have no idea. He just promoted a guy to DC who had never been DC and we had a historically great defense which was much improved over 2018 in every area despite having no standout superstar. Immediate results. Coley took over an offense with a QB going into his 3rd year who may have been the hottest QB in the back half of the 2018 season... and the offense not only got worse in every way but that QB regressed big time. Immediate results.

How will it be addressed? I don’t know. I’m dreading hearing nothing at all about it and then seeing business as usual come spring. If we don’t make any changes my expectations next year will not go beyond winning the East.

13 minutes ago, RxDawg said:

Is it wrong that I've been back are forth from here and 247 hoping that we've made a change at OC 

I’m not expecting to hear anything. Remember we didn’t hear squat about the promotions/hires after last season until like January 10th or 11th. I’m not expecting Kirby to announce anything at all before the bowl game if he announces anything.

11 minutes ago, Carter said:

I’m not expecting to hear anything. Remember we didn’t hear squat about the promotions/hires after last season until like January 10th or 11th. I’m not expecting Kirby to announce anything at all before the bowl game if he announces anything.

Unless he’s hoping to land some late punches before ESD, you are probably right 

1 hour ago, mike teevee said:

Unless he’s hoping to land some late punches before ESD, you are probably right 

Probably hurts recruiting more than helps to subtract Coley now - now if we add a name without subtracting one, that would be better.

2 hours ago, RxDawg said:

Is it wrong that I've been back are forth from here and 247 hoping that we've made a change at OC 

I can’t imagine that there would be a change after 1 year with Coley.  If the offense blows next year, then something could happen.