December 2019 Recruiting Thread

Carter

The first time he got in trouble with the coaches, he was mad over playing time when the coaches intentionally didn't play the #1 RB in the country.

I'm not saying Evans is without fault. He definitely has growing up to do

But it does also come off like this coach is trying to send a clear message about Evans not being special and being no different than any other kid on that team, and, obviously, being below the coaches

Now, that message should be understood, but it's hard to pull off when the kid is easily the best part of that team, coaches included, no matter what the coaches think or want

Once he gets to college however, the talent gap will have shrunk considerably. We'll see what happens then

Also, if the earlier report is true, the parents believe that being around people who do nothing but pump him up and tell him he's the greatest thing ever, on top of being in an environment where he, well, is the best thing there, is not doing him any favors, and that going to a team where he'll be expected to get in, and wait in, line for his playing time, is what is best for him.

If that's really true, then his parents are exactly going to be keen on him transferring at the first sign of trouble either

Some perspective from a Dawg fan that is a Texas high school football coach near where Evans lives. 

texdawg Posts:

Ok.....I'm going to speak out on Zach Evans......I've not shared much and mainly communicated through @SoFL_Dawg .

Everyone claims sources......hopefully I've built enough credibility on here with some of you that I can just say that I have unique sources connected to Evans . All I'll say.

1. Not going to go through it again but I knew the exact facts about the game one incident. Not speculation....but what happened

2. I knew that Georgia was still occasionally communicating with Evans throughout the season.

3. I reached out to soflow a few nights ago about the developing Evans and Georgia situation and 2 days later it all blew up that we may be getting Evans. Not saying I knew something before other people......just a couple of days before news broke

I say all of that to give you my opinion based on what I've heard. (Oh. ..I think he may have signed a LOI but I cannot confirm it......just thought I'd add that)

So......I've heard from a number of people that Zach is a pretty good kid....but maybe a little entitled from all the recruiting stuff....not going to share what I've heard about is support system or how he's grown up.....there is enough speculation all ready out there.

Evans probably needs Georgia more than Georgis needs him. He is a high risk recruit but is probably worth the risk. I believe what support system he has thinks Georgia is the best choice for him.....Baton Rouge is what it is......and TAMU is probably a little too close to home.

Everyone has the freedom to say what they want on here.....but may I suggest being careful what is said or shared about the young man on this forum.

If by chance he does end up at Georgia.....it would be great if he had some what of a chance at a fresh start without facing predetermined opinions from the fan base of the school he chose.

Our coaches can't help every kid that needs the help.....but they are certainly equipped to help a few young men that need a little extra attention.

I hope Zach ends up at Georgia. I hope he finds the help he needs from our coaches and that he becomes a success on the field as well as off the field.

But even if Georgia doesn't work out.....I hope he finds a school that is just as interested in helping him develop as a person as they are as a football player.

Go Dawgs and Merry Christmas

2 minutes ago, Bdawg58 said:

Guys, this is about a cellphone... give me a break. I get rules are rules but this seems a bit extreme to send a kid home for not giving up a cellphone. 

I said it before, but ever since game 1, it's felt to me like the coach has been trying to send a clear message to Evans and to the team through him, that no one is above the coaches. These coaches know full well how great a player he is, and how much more valued he is than the other players and the coaches, by the players, and by those on the outside. If the coach lets Evans get away with anything, that puts him above the coaches, or at least that's how they feel  or at least that's how it comes off to me.

Is Evans still at fault? **** yeah, give up the **** phone. At this point, you know what's going to happen, and by pushing the issue, you're putting yourself above the team.

Having said that however, I'm not really sure the coaches' way of pressing this issue is working out very well, other than to make them feel superior.

The reality is HS football is that there will be times when you have a kid who everyone thinks is more important than anyone else on that team, coaches included, and those kids will often get big heads as a result, from being told by everybody how great they are. It's a complicated issue for sure.

11 minutes ago, Bdawg58 said:

Guys, this is about a cellphone... give me a break. I get rules are rules but this seems a bit extreme to send a kid home for not giving up a cellphone. 

It’s much bigger than “just a cell phone”.  Otherwise, Evans would have committed months ago.  The staff saw enough troubling character issues that they would not let him commit, when he was scheduled to do so.  You don’t do that to the #1 rb in the nation, unless you are very concerned about his behavior.

Edited by Turkeydawg

2 minutes ago, VA F.O. said:

The reality is HS football is that there will be times when you have a kid who everyone thinks is more important than anyone else on that team, coaches included, and those kids will often get big heads as a result, from being told by everybody how great they are. It's a complicated issue for sure.

Sadly, the big head often follows the athlete to college.  You see it all the time.  Couple that, with being away from home and that is a bit worrisome.

4 minutes ago, Turkeydawg said:

It’s much bigger than “just a cell phone”.  Otherwise, Evans would have committed months ago.  The staff saw enough troubling character issues that they would not let him commit, when he was scheduled to do so.  You don’t do that to the #1 rb in the nation, unless you are very concerned about his behavior.

They didn't want him committing while suspended. He had bigger things to take care of before they felt he would be ready.

It wasn't so much that they felt uncomfortable with his character as much as he needed to get his house in order.

There were grade issues there as well apparently.