December 2019 Recruiting Thread

Pickens has trouble controlling his emotions, and I don't think Kirby can handle another guy that may be worse off. I can envision Evans leaving home and absolutely losing sight of the ball. Then again you have more than enough room. 

I think the staff has left themselves with a surplus of spots. Hopefully they just load up on 27-28 for 2021. If Fromm leaves, the dominoes will be falling quickly for a QB transfer.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've got a 2020 new years resolution for Kirby. Take the in state stud before he doesn't want you anymore.

I always imagined Jon Voight in Varsity Blues was an accurate representation of a Texas high school football coach.

SIAP   both Burch and Burton in town close it Kirby 

Posted Images

2 hours ago, Prison Mikey said:

Pickens has trouble controlling his emotions, and I don't think Kirby can handle another guy that may be worse off. I can envision Evans leaving home and absolutely losing sight of the ball. Then again you have more than enough room. 

I think the staff has left themselves with a surplus of spots. Hopefully they just load up on 27-28 for 2021. If Fromm leaves, the dominoes will be falling quickly for a QB transfer.

What? Why?

I mean, have your reservations about Evans all you want, but Kirby can handle these kids just fine

5 hours ago, g-dawg said:

I am not sure why anyone is conflicted with Evans.   If he gets to campus and is a walking/talking cancer - Kirby will invite him to leave.

”Yeah but the scholarship means someone else gets passed over” 

Soooooo what?   We can have 85 guys on scholarship at once and Evans would easily be one of the best 30 players on the roster.

If Kirby & Dell want to invest in the kid and the talent, go for it - the bell can be unrung if need be.

I'm conflicted because I can't remember many recruits like him that live up to the hype. It feels like the crazy gf we just can't stay broken up with.

Yeah but that's very telling that Kirby and the coaches are having conversations that may be that big a get for UGA. At least it tells us they are fighting till the end and still giving it all, plus apparently they are receiving some good vibes in the process. Whether it happens or not, it's still a very good sign.

3 minutes ago, Wardog357 said:

Yeah but that's very telling that Kirby and the coaches are having conversations that may be that big a get for UGA. At least it tells us they are fighting till the end and still giving it all, plus apparently they are receiving some good vibes in the process. Whether it happens or not, it's still a very good sign.

Agreed and also probably says they maybe have one more spot available for BPA and had Burch or Stroud or both committed to the G - Evans wouldn’t have a last minute offer.

Pretty neat trick to pull the #1 RB (warts and all) out of your *** in the 11th hour/last minute.

Shifting focus here, I'd imagine we'll be in the market for another TE grad transfer

Only taking 1 (and assuming that one) we're still really weak depth wise there, and looking at next year's rankings, 2021 is not really an ideal class to be loading up at TE, at least not in terms of star power.

The highest rated TE is barely in the top 100, and he's at 99

14 minutes ago, VA F.O. said:

Shifting focus here, I'd imagine we'll be in the market for another TE grad transfer

Only taking 1 (and assuming that one) we're still really weak depth wise there, and looking at next year's rankings, 2021 is not really an ideal class to be loading up at TE, at least not in terms of star power.

I don’t know. We’ll have FitzPatrick, Goede, Seither and hopefully Washington. I can think of bigger needs than a fifth TE. But now that you mention it the fact that we don’t seem to be pursuing anyone else makes it seem like Washington is a done deal.

18 minutes ago, VA F.O. said:

I would personally take an extra db or look for an sde than a 2nd tight end..  a big reason we took eli wolfe was due to the youth with fitzpatrick, sether, and goede (whow as coming off a big injury).. i think this coming year due to the 3 guys having another season under the belts and washington coming in I don't see a big need for a 5th TE.. JMO. 

25 minutes ago, VA F.O. said:

You know, if we're going to list every top recruit we missed on then we'll be here all day

I only listed the top 2, and I listed them because they're headed to Clemson, who has that current the #1 class

yep.. every team has lost out on players.. if we made a list for every team we would be here all day long.  there is a big reason why bama has come back to the pack some and it's because of guys they have lost out to UGA and Clemson.  

6 hours ago, g-dawg said:

I am not sure why anyone is conflicted with Evans.   If he gets to campus and is a walking/talking cancer - Kirby will invite him to leave.

”Yeah but the scholarship means someone else gets passed over” 

Soooooo what?   We can have 85 guys on scholarship at once and Evans would easily be one of the best 30 players on the roster.

If Kirby & Dell want to invest in the kid and the talent, go for it - the bell can be unrung if need be.

No he would not easily be one of the best 30. He might play in garbage time as a freshman and he’d probably be academically ineligible before his sophomore year. Everyone suddenly enamored again with Evans and making arguments for it is just star gazing.

Although I guess if you’re going to slow play and piss off a top in-state player then you better land the other guy.

I am skeptical this even happens though. 

One thing for sure is Kirby and Co. know how to recruit which should make us very competitive year in and year out if it continues. We just need to address some Offensive issues and we can get back to not having to ride the backs of the defense alone. Just a slightly above  Average offense, if the "D" returns to form, will allow us to be Extremely competitive.

2 minutes ago, Carter said:

No he would not easily be one of the best 30. He might play in garbage time as a freshman and he’d probably be academically ineligible before his sophomore year. Everyone suddenly enamored again with Evans and making arguments for it is just star gazing.

Although I guess if you’re going to slow play and piss off a top in-state player then you better land the other guy.

Wow, lots of butthurt in this response.

Dell was never off the Evans train.  Dell would be his position coach - obviously Dell and Kirby must have had some daylight between them on Evans off-field issues.

Is Zach Evans a bad kid that will be a bad man and never be good?

Or was he immature and too big for his britches but has been humbled and ready to grow up and mature?

I dunno and neither do you.  Maybe no one knows but both Kirby and Dell can make a more educated guess than either of us.

Again, if EVANS gets to campus and he is still shows pinkish behavior and is cancer in locker room and challenges authority - he will be gone faster than you can say “Brenton Cox”.

Kirby is a more experienced head coach now - he can handle this.    If you are upset over Tank - that’s a separate issue.  Obviously Dell was never all in on Tank and once we had Milton, just don’t think Tank was as appealing.

1 minute ago, g-dawg said:

Wow, lots of butthurt in this response.

Dell was never off the Evans train.  Dell would be his position coach - obviously Dell and Kirby must have had some daylight between them on Evans off-field issues.

Is Zach Evans a bad kid that will be a bad man and never be good?

Or was he immature and too big for his britches but has been humbled and ready to grow up and mature?

I dunno and neither do you.  Maybe no one knows but both Kirby and Dell can make a more educated guess than either of us.

Again, if EVANS gets to campus and he is still shows pinkish behavior and is cancer in locker room and challenges authority - he will be gone faster than you can say “Brenton Cox”.

Kirby is a more experienced head coach now - he can handle this.    If you are upset over Tank - that’s a separate issue.  Obviously Dell was never all in on Tank and once we had Milton, just don’t think Tank was as appealing.

Your argument sounds like it's not a loss for us if we kick him off the team. Losing one of your 25 is never good, and compound that with the players we have passed on and are still passing on right now.

8 minutes ago, Carter said:

i have one thing to say to you carter.. shame shame shame.. LOLOL  (did you see my reply to you in the evans thread on ugasports.. lolol)  

seriously if you know anything about me I don't care about stars when it comes to talent.  stars are impt when it comes to selling your recruiting class to kids, but they don't matter once you get on campus.  Evans is the best rb in this class and he ran for his yards against some of the best competition in the nation.  I like gibbs for instance, but he is running against very poor competition and he isn't close to the complete back Evans is.  The issue with evans is can he keep his head on straight?  I think for him moving away from home is the best option to help him with that.  He is able to get away from his "friends" and be able to stand on his own two feet.  I am sure his parents will move out here to be around him, but lots of times (see jarvis jones) it's a positive to get away from home.  Kirby isn't a star gazer and neither is Dell Mcgee.. Kirby has said no to evans on more than 2 occassions right after his incident, but Kirby and Dell see the pure talent and if they feel comfortable in taking him I don't see why anyone would question that.. They know him better and they know his situation more than anyone does. 

2 minutes ago, AutumnEffect said:

Your argument sounds like it's not a loss for us if we kick him off the team. Losing one of your 25 is never good, and compound that with the players we have passed on and are still passing on right now.

I think our fans even discussing kicking him off the team is a bit premature.. First off none of use knows what exactly happened with Evans.  Second if anyone on this board doesn't believe our staff knows what is going on and knows this young man they are not giving our staff any credit.  Evans is by far the best back in this class.. he is a complete back and a reason he has been the #1 back in this class for 4 years now.  Evans is just that good and sometimes it takes a humbling and a mistake for a player who is that talented to wake up sometimes.  the one thing I know is our staff knows evans and if they believe it's worth the risk I say go for it.  Our fans are acting like Evans is out robbing stores and getting into bar fights..  lol  

SoFL_Dawg Posts: 

So I still have nothing confirmed on the signing of Evans; I still believe it happened though. I just don’t think Kirby would’ve spent his recruiting equity, going in home, with a player he had strong concerns about, unless Dell had already mapped out to Evans what was going to be on the table.

That said diving back into #’s. I’m not going to sugar coat it and I don’t consider this ruining moments but I believe strongly SVPG, B. Jones, Ringo, and Washington are Dawgs. This group takes us to 21 commits.

I believe Evans signed with that good guys and took that BPA spot. 22.

I believe we have/and will miss on Burch. Off the table. I believe Manning signed with Oregon, so for this discussion, off the table.

DL remains a priority with only 3 signed. McKinnley Jackson will be the guy we go all in on. Jan. OV, entire staff will be focused on this guy. All early chatter has been positive here. For this discussion I’m “penciling” him in at 23.

Now I’ve heard Rice is believed to have received a day 2 draft grade (3rd round). I think he leaves. So the final spot I think goes to DJ Lundy but we have to recruit him. He’s not pounding on the door right now. This is 24 assuming the BS for Zirkel.

Final class:

1. Ringo
  2. Washington
  3. Evans
  4. Jackson
  5. Lundy

If there’s another spot, considering how we were prioritizing Tae Williams earlier this year. I wonder if he gets the press again.

3 minutes ago, SacFalcFan said:

....but Kirby and Dell see the pure talent and if they feel comfortable in taking him I don't see why anyone would question that.. They know him better and they know his situation more than anyone does. 

This. Every two star guard with a bum shoulder Neil Callaway signed was also a risk. Most of them never played a meaningful snap. The risk/reward with Evans is that you may have to discipline him, or he potentially becomes an All American. The film doesn’t lie. If Kirby’s okay with it I am too.

13 minutes ago, AutumnEffect said:

There are so many players on an 85 man roster that don’t contribute and never will or - at best - are special teams players, etc.   You never want to lose a player but you get the scholarship back the following year.

You guys are being a little melodramatic about this.

Besides Tank, who did we pass on?  

Remember UGA dropped pursuit of Evans in September, right?   

Had DELL wanted another RB he had all the time in the world to try and corral him.