Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Carter

December 2019 Recruiting Thread

Alright, it’s now the money month. Early signing day has changed the whole dynamic of recruiting. Most of the recruits seem to be committing and signing in the early period.

ESD is on Wednesday, December 18th.

For teams playing this weekend, which of course includes our Dawgs, that leaves just 10 days to close on some of our prime targets.

Also, it’s Christmas n stuff so Happy Columbus Day and Merry New Year ya bums. :)

Killer interview with 2021 5 star QB and Athens native Brock Vandagriff...

https://www.si.com/college/georgia/news/brock-vandagriff-talks-recruitment/

This really stood out:

Q: · Obviously you committed to Oklahoma back in June of this year, what is it about the Sooners that drew you in? 

"I would probably say the Lincoln Riley aspect and the offense. I was planning on staying close to home and playing in the SEC, but when they offered it was tough to overlook. They’ve had back to back Heismans and #1 overall draft picks. So, that’s what got the first visit out there and from watching film with him (Riley) I just kind of fell in love with that offense.” 

Q: What happens if Lincoln Riley leaves Oklahoma for the NFL?

“We’d have to see who they hire, but Kirby and Dan Mullen know that they are number two and three back to back if Lincoln Riley leaves. Because that’s probably why I’m going there, Lincoln Riley himself. You can be a product of the system there and be very successful. But when Kirby came to Prince Avenue last month I told him ‘Look if Lincoln Riley leaves, I’ll probably commit to Georgia the next week.” 

Q: How does Georgia miss out on the best player in the state that goes to high school less than 15 miles from Sanford Stadium? 

“Yea, I think throwing at Georgia and with my meetings I was getting close with them, the thing that deterred me from Georgia is just their offense. I gave it the chance they needed to prove themselves. They said it would be different, and it has been different under Coley, but it’s hard to see with Jake Fromm in there how they would use me.” 

Q: What could UGA do offensively for you to consider staying home and playing for the Dawgs? 

“Seeing the quarterback more involved and have the ability to run the ball. You see Jake Fromm back there and he’s got all day because that offensive line is freaking huge. But just kind of the zone-read stuff you see Oklahoma run with Jalen, and just more of the intermediate passing game. You see Georgia and it’s just bombs bombs bombs or screens. I like the intermediate stuff because I think that’s what makes you a next level passer.”  

1 hour ago, Carter said:

Killer interview with 2021 5 star QB and Athens native Brock Vandagriff...

https://www.si.com/college/georgia/news/brock-vandagriff-talks-recruitment/

This really stood out:

Q: · Obviously you committed to Oklahoma back in June of this year, what is it about the Sooners that drew you in? 

"I would probably say the Lincoln Riley aspect and the offense. I was planning on staying close to home and playing in the SEC, but when they offered it was tough to overlook. They’ve had back to back Heismans and #1 overall draft picks. So, that’s what got the first visit out there and from watching film with him (Riley) I just kind of fell in love with that offense.” 

Q: What happens if Lincoln Riley leaves Oklahoma for the NFL?

“We’d have to see who they hire, but Kirby and Dan Mullen know that they are number two and three back to back if Lincoln Riley leaves. Because that’s probably why I’m going there, Lincoln Riley himself. You can be a product of the system there and be very successful. But when Kirby came to Prince Avenue last month I told him ‘Look if Lincoln Riley leaves, I’ll probably commit to Georgia the next week.” 

Q: How does Georgia miss out on the best player in the state that goes to high school less than 15 miles from Sanford Stadium? 

“Yea, I think throwing at Georgia and with my meetings I was getting close with them, the thing that deterred me from Georgia is just their offense. I gave it the chance they needed to prove themselves. They said it would be different, and it has been different under Coley, but it’s hard to see with Jake Fromm in there how they would use me.” 

Q: What could UGA do offensively for you to consider staying home and playing for the Dawgs? 

“Seeing the quarterback more involved and have the ability to run the ball. You see Jake Fromm back there and he’s got all day because that offensive line is freaking huge. But just kind of the zone-read stuff you see Oklahoma run with Jalen, and just more of the intermediate passing game. You see Georgia and it’s just bombs bombs bombs or screens. I like the intermediate stuff because I think that’s what makes you a next level passer.”  

Okkkkkkaaaaaaaaayyyy. That's good and all, but for the fact that Fromm obviously has little to no interest in EVER running....  via RPO, or otherwise. That comparison doesn't work.

13 hours ago, m2Falcons said:

Okkkkkkaaaaaaaaayyyy. That's good and all, but for the fact that Fromm obviously has little to no interest in EVER running....  via RPO, or otherwise. That comparison doesn't work.

Yes and he also alluded to that. He described the type of offense he wanted to play in and thats fair. Also sounds like he was open about it with Kirby and he told him this years O would be more like that. But it wasnt and the kid said basically I cant tell bc Fromm dont run. So I think he is saying what you are. Ultimately the onus is on UGA to convince these QBs how we will play offense. It isnt the end of the world we are a very good team. But I dont think our style of play is trending well with younger QBs overall.

54 minutes ago, Dawggone said:

Yes and he also alluded to that. He described the type of offense he wanted to play in and thats fair. Also sounds like he was open about it with Kirby and he told him this years O would be more like that. But it wasnt and the kid said basically I cant tell bc Fromm dont run. So I think he is saying what you are. Ultimately the onus is on UGA to convince these QBs how we will play offense. It isnt the end of the world we are a very good team. But I dont think our style of play is trending well with younger QBs overall.

Yeah, I get all of that. One factor not mentioned though...  If Jake gets injured due to running more often, then who is the UGA QB?  I think there is, and has been, a directive this season in particular that Jake is NOT to be running very often. Can't prove it, and I don't like it if true, but I certainly understand why it could be true.

I might be wrong, according to my wife I'm always wrong, but, I think they should just let Jake be Jake. I think pocket awareness and seeing a running lane is what he does but he hasn't done that very much as previously pointed out. He should be a threat to run, so if there's no open receiver he has that option. RPO should be his game to me. But maybe it's Jake and not the coaches......really, this is just speculation unless someone has heard different. So who knows? 

14 minutes ago, Wardog357 said:

I might be wrong, according to my wife I'm always wrong, but, I think they should just let Jake be Jake. I think pocket awareness and seeing a running lane is what he does but he hasn't done that very much as previously pointed out. He should be a threat to run, so if there's no open receiver he has that option. RPO should be his game to me. But maybe it's Jake and not the coaches......really, this is just speculation unless someone has heard different. So who knows? 

That's the frustrating part of it all...  if he would just keep on the RPO two to three times a game, preferably early in game, it would drastically alter the defenses ability to focus on the RB as the only real Option. Add in a couple of QB Pull & Go's and the entire offense benefits.

17 hours ago, m2Falcons said:

it doesn't help that Dawgs don't have a QB that they would feel comfortable going to war with should Fromm get hurt.   Don't know how much that factors in - but is a consideration.

If Williams does go to LSU that just gives us more leverage with Stockton. If we can somehow get Stroud this year I think we will be fine until Stockton gets here. I’m not saying I don’t want Williams because I do but just making the best of it

25 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

it doesn't help that Dawgs don't have a QB that they would feel comfortable going to war with should Fromm get hurt.   Don't know how much that factors in - but is a consideration.

Yeah, I addressed that point earlier this morning in a follow posts.  Fromm didn't keep/run often enough last season, when he had a backup; this season it is even less...  so who knows.

Whoa!   At the 1:28 mark of this video, HS Soph., Gunner Stockton throws the ball 60 yards! On one step.

https://www.hudl.com/video/3/9987605/5d64307066567209e02f5687

I had not looked at video of this kid before, because 2022 is still two classes forward in time/ two years to ESD still, but Wow!    Watch this guys footwork, while he is scanning the field, on these clips!  He keeps his base, constantly chopping his feet extremely well (even those that do it are often lazy about it > like Fromm is right now too often), head is on a swivel and he drives his torso, hips, and feet to the area...  again Wow!

He is already really good at looking one way and throwing back to the other side of field; going deep or throwing down the backside seam. Is accurate; so sound mechanically!

He is excellent at slow playing his decision in the pocket...  will step up, then move/run laterally to space while being constantly ready to throw to anyone coming open downfield. Only runs if no one breaks free... reminds me of D. Watson & P. Mahomes. When he does run via scramble or RPO, QB draw, he runs with purpose and power, and a good amount of agility. You can see, even in this video that he has powerful legs, and that becomes even more evident when you watch him run.

24 minutes ago, LawDawg said:

Of course.

Let's just beat their a$$es in the SECCG.

LSU will only be hot with QBs as long as Joe Brady is there.

Very good chance some team goes in on him as a HC/OC somewhere and pays him a ton this offseason.

The brains behind LSU success isn’t the HC - and that makes LSU vulnerable.

2 hours ago, g-dawg said:

Very good chance some team goes in on him as a HC/OC somewhere and pays him a ton this offseason.

Brady is to LSU as Shanahan was to the Falcons I suppose.

WR Arian Smith will be taking his official visit to UGA the weekend before ESD.

For those not familiar with him, he’s a burner. UGA was thought to be leading for him for a long time but Clemson had been building steam. It seems Clemson chose to move on with another target so Smith’s top 3 are now UGA, Bama, Florida. It’s thought to be a UGA/Bama battle, even though he is from Lakeland which is a notorious MSUjr pipeline. Mullen may not get either of the two stud offensive guys coming out of there this year (the other is speedy RB Demarkcus Bowman).

Smith may take his recruitment all the way to February, so it’s huge to get him in right before ESD. Hopefully we show him enough to make him feel comfortable with shutting it down and signing a few days later.

3 hours ago, g-dawg said:

LSU has not struggled to sign highly rated QBs, they’ve struggled to develop them. Burrow is a bit of an aberration for them and they have benefited from LSU now running a scheme that is similar to what Burrow had already worked in with Ryan Day.

Brady is the one primarily behind LSU’s surge this year. The talk of him becoming an OC or even a head coach is totally wild though. The guy was a graduate assistant 3 years ago and spent the past 2 years as a low guy on the totem pole assistant with the Saints. Hardly anyone knew who this guy was a year ago. He had networked and impressed a lot of folks though, Ensminger among them. Ensminger convinced Orgeron to interview him and that was that.

Kirby commented about the wisdom of Oregeron’s experience leading him to hire good people and let them do their jobs.

34 minutes ago, Carter said:

LSU has not struggled to sign highly rated QBs, they’ve struggled to develop them. Burrow is a bit of an aberration for them and they have benefited from LSU now running a scheme that is similar to what Burrow had already worked in with Ryan Day.

Brady is the one primarily behind LSU’s surge this year. The talk of him becoming an OC or even a head coach is totally wild though. The guy was a graduate assistant 3 years ago and spent the past 2 years as a low guy on the totem pole assistant with the Saints. Hardly anyone knew who this guy was a year ago. He had networked and impressed a lot of folks though, Ensminger among them. Ensminger convinced Orgeron to interview him and that was that.

Kirby commented about the wisdom of Oregeron’s experience leading him to hire good people and let them do their jobs.

Everyone knows Joe Brady’s name - was well thought of with Saints.

I disagree with your assessment that Brady won’t be a hot commodity.

6 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

Brady will most likely garner interest but that doesn’t mean he’s ready. He’s still so young and he may have all the football knowledge he needs but he doesn’t have experience from an administrative standpoint to justify it. 

He may be a great coach in the future but I’m not sure he’s ready to be an OC let alone a head coach. 

8 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

That wasn’t my assessment. Just saying it’s wild that he has blown up so much in just a year. Not many people knew of him at the Saints either. He was there 2 years and had only been a graduate assistant prior to that and a LB coach at William & Mary. This dude has only been in coaching at all since 2013. Everyone knows his name now though. He’s tabbed as another one of these young offensive protégés.

LSU’s scheme is not complicated at all if you study it much. There is a certain value in simplifying things to run efficiently though, especially in college football.

3 minutes ago, UAB_DAWG said:

Brady will most likely garner interest but that doesn’t mean he’s ready. He’s still so young and he may have all the football knowledge he needs but he doesn’t have experience from an administrative standpoint to justify it. 

He may be a great coach in the future but I’m not sure he’s ready to be an OC let alone a head coach. 

He is 100% ready to be a coordinator