Thoughts on Greg Roman as Head Coach

Done the defensive HC thing - arguably it wasn’t a complete failure but lets be honest it was the Shanahan factor that carried us. We are clearly an offensive loaded team and we need a great offence / solid defence combo. Greg Roman has run some great offences with sub par or developing QBs (Kap and Lamar). Get a solid vet defensive coach (Rod Marineli type) and we are good to go. 

FTR - I think he’s ready to be a Head Coach. Hadn’t seen this mentioned anywhere (apologies if so). Curious on people’s thoughts. 

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Love Greg Roman. You wanna talk about a guy on the cutting edge and pushing the game forward, that’s him. It’s old school and new school at the same time. Problem is the fit. His offenses have al

Incredible football mind, but I wouldn’t want him anywhere near my football team. The way he hung the Colts out to dry after they had hired a coaching staff and agreed to terms, I can’t recall ever se

Alex Smith was benched for a reason.  He was hamstringing what he and Harbaugh really wanted to do -- which is run the ball with the quarterback having to be accounted for. Kyle actually had a hi

It'd be an interesting hire. He averaged 24 ppg at Buffalo with Tyrod Taylor, which was 12th in the league on offense that pretty talent deficient. He also gave Kaepernick his best season and has developed the **** out of Lamar Jackson.

He's extremely creative and seems to tailor his offenses around the skills of his QB, rather than forcing them to do things they're uncomfortable with. I'm not sure what system he uses, though and how well he'd work in Atlanta. And he has no head coaching experience.

I'm gonna have to do a little more research on him.

1 hour ago, primetime said:

Done the defensive HC thing - arguably it wasn’t a complete failure but lets be honest it was the Shanahan factor that carried us. We are clearly an offensive loaded team and we need a great offence / solid defence combo. Greg Roman has run some great offences with sub par or developing QBs (Kap and Lamar). Get a solid vet defensive coach (Rod Marineli type) and we are good to go. 

FTR - I think he’s ready to be a Head Coach. Hadn’t seen this mentioned anywhere (apologies if so). Curious on people’s thoughts. 

I like the idea. I posted about him here. My Post on Roman

1 hour ago, primetime said:

I could see that - which team would you prefer? 

Honestly don’t have a preference as I’m not as invested in the future coach search as you guys, just looking at what makes more sense for him.  The other team I got in mind is Dallas which would be a better fit than Carolina and Atlanta IMO. 

Love Greg Roman. You wanna talk about a guy on the cutting edge and pushing the game forward, that’s him. It’s old school and new school at the same time.

Problem is the fit. His offenses have always centered around having the quarterback as a running threat.

3 minutes ago, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

Love Greg Roman. You wanna talk about a guy on the cutting edge and pushing the game forward, that’s him. It’s old school and new school at the same time.

Problem is the fit. His offenses have always centered around having the quarterback as a running threat.

Put some turbo boosters on the back of Ryan's cleats.

If they do in fact "can" Dan Quinn, I'd like to see us take a shot at getting Mike McCarthy!  Word has it, he's already planning a comeback, looking at film, talking to potential coaches, etc.  He most certainly has the HCing experience ---- with a SB pedigree, and has worked with a top notch QB, in Aaron Rodgers.  And with a low-key guy like Matt Ryan, who isn't nearly the ego-maniac that Rodgers is, it could potentially be a match made in heaven!  I just think we need an offensive-minded HC right now, since that seems to be our strength.  And I'm pretty sure McCarthy has a great DC in mind for his next team! 

What do ya'll think??? 

Just now, 1989Fan said:

JH is 0-5 against the team MICH hired him to beat. He may be looking for work soon.

You want a guy that gets curb stomped by his biggest rival annually?

Yep. Couldn’t care less about his accomplishments (or lack of) in college football. Especially at Michigan, who has never been anything other than Ohio State’s little brother for their entire existence. 

He’s an NFL coach through and through and I’d love to have him here. 

1 hour ago, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

Herbert would be good fit with Roman!

3 hours ago, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

Not sure i 100% agree with you. Remember he was the OC at 49’s in 2011-12 when they went to the conference final. Basically they lost that with some real unfortunate ST fumbles right near the end that gave the Giants the win. Definitely not the offences fault. Smith is in every sense of the word a poor mans Ryan. He could do wonders here imho.

btw I think as someone else posted he uses the QBs (and overall teams) strengths in the offences he uses. Just because he used tyrod, Kap, Lamar’s strengths doesn’t mean that’s all he can do. Shanahan did the same with RG3 and the Cleveland backup (before he was injured). Basically good OCs can utilise QBs strengths in their offence.