For those who think Arthur Blank is the problem....

marvinthemartian

17 minutes ago, GeorgiaBoyz said:

You sound like a fuvkin idiot . Lol . Just because I don’t agree with a billionaire I should put up my own . Cheap Reply , No substance , etc . 

Internet tough guy. I love it. My original post expressed my thoughts in a detailed, coherent way. I’m sorry you misjudge me. That’s your mistake not mine. Perhaps it is you who sounds more like how you said I sounded. Either way you aren’t worth any more of my time.  

2 hours ago, marvinthemartian said:

Internet tough guy. I love it. My original post expressed my thoughts in a detailed, coherent way. I’m sorry you misjudge me. That’s your mistake not mine. Perhaps it is you who sounds more like how you said I sounded. Either way you aren’t worth any more of my time.  

“Internet tough guy.” Lol . That’s safe space talk . If you think anyone is being a tough guy on the internet you should revaluate your feels .. “on the internet.”  Lmfaooo . 

13 minutes ago, GeorgiaBoyz said:

“Internet tough guy.” Lol . That’s safe space talk . If you think anyone is being a tough guy on the internet you should revaluate your feels .. “on the internet.”  Lmfaooo . 

Whatever you say. You are obviously right about everything and anyone who disagrees is, as you say, “a fvcking idiot.” And for the record, anywhere I go is a safe space and I wouldn’t say anything here that I wouldn’t say to your face or anyone else’s. I have been respectful about this entire discussion. It is you who drug it in the gutter with your “fvcking idiot” comment. I will take the high road and you can think what you choose to think. 

45 minutes ago, marvinthemartian said:

Whatever you say. You are obviously right about everything and anyone who disagrees is, as you say, “a fvcking idiot.” And for the record, anywhere I go is a safe space and I wouldn’t say anything here that I wouldn’t say to your face or anyone else’s. I have been respectful about this entire discussion. It is you who drug it in the gutter with your “fvcking idiot” comment. I will take the high road and you can think what you choose to think. 

Cheers . 

1 hour ago, Doctor Kildare said:

Blank has brought soccer glory to Atlanta, winning world championship of Major League Soccer.

I wish I could get excited about soccer.  No disrespect to those who enjoy it (I have many friends that do) but I’m just not there.  One bit of solace I can take is that NE was a perineal loser before bb/tb.  Someday if I can remain on this side of the dirt long enough I hope to see Falcons be consistent powerhouses.  The kind that can occasionally surprise us even in a down year w a Lombardi eg the 49ers/Gree Bay  8-8 w Lombardi.  

The Smiths were ignorant and stubborn at times, and not suited to build a consistent winning team, but I'll always be grateful to them for creating the Falcons.  

Acquiring a NFL expansion was a huge deal; many people in this country will never know what it's like to have their own team.  

Blank "could" be the problem, thing is you can't fire an owner so complaining about him seems pretty pointless. You have to work around any problem you may think Blank contributes to the failure of the team.

I think he is a slight issue with things although his interests are in the right place. TD, Quinn are much more the actual day to day problem with this franchise.

27 minutes ago, octoslash said:

The Smiths were ignorant and stubborn at times, and not suited to build a consistent winning team, but I'll always be grateful to them for creating the Falcons.  

Acquiring a NFL expansion was a huge deal; many people in this country will never know what it's like to have their own team.  

After the last 53 years they may be better off than what Falcons fans have experienced since the franchise started.

On 11/30/2019 at 9:00 AM, marvinthemartian said:

First and foremost, like any business person, Mr Blank has said and done things involving his ownership that I and other fans have disagreed with. No doubt about that. Let’s get that clearly on the record upfront. Have the Falcons had issues during his tenure?  Yes.  But he has always worked to fix them and money has been an object  He wants to win.  This is the same man who has had a winner owning Atlanta United since year one.  The main difference is he made great hires initially for United leadership and he has missed on the Falcons and then waited, usually one year too long, to correct it due to loyalty  

However, it’s his team and his money at risk so he has the right to run it however he sees fit. When he makes a mistake, we get upset because it has a negative impact on the team we love (and in my case have loved since 1966). But when he makes a mistake it can cost him millions of dollars in addition to the hurt we feel multiplied by a very large number. 

Let’s examine some truly bad ownership of just the local teams in Atlanta:

The group that brought the Braves to Atlanta....basically one good year (1969) from 1966-1976. Horrendous for all the others. Nobody wanted to come play here or go to the games  

Ted Turner 1976-1981; 1983-1990: Ted was a laughingstock  He even tried to manage the team himself before MLB said “Nope”  Finally figures it out when he brings Cox back in about 1987 and Schuerholz about 1990. Had good people and lets them do what they need to do  I hope Mr Blank follows the latter part of the Turner model after the end of this year  

The group that owned the Atlanta Flames  For a number of reasons ended up selling and moving to Canada.  Under new ownership the Flames own a Stanley Cup  

The group that owned the Thrashers and Hawks.  8-10 people with big egos who couldn’t get along  Now the Thrashers are gone too and the Hawks are rebuilding under their new (and I think very good) ownership  

Liberty Media owns the Braves.  The Braves now have a faceless corporate ownership where they are nothing more than a line on a balance sheet  No ownership face to address their mistakes with. Profit is more important than winning.  I doubt anyone on this board, myself included, could pick one of those people out of a lineup.

The Smith Family.  How many free agents did we let get away because they wouldn’t pay?  These guys made the Bengals ownership look generous, efficient and effective.  Rankin almost never addressed the fans and clearly had no clue how to be a NFL owner.

Is Arthur Blank perfect?  No he isn’t.  But would the fan base of many teams in the NFL take him and his passion as an owner over what they have now?  Absolutely.  The one thing I have seen with Mr Blank is that he is loyal and patient, sometimes to a fault, but he does try to fix mistakes and pay for the best product on the field  and game day experience possible. He may not be perfect, but long suffering Atlanta sports fans have endured MUCH worse.

You're making your case that Arthur Blank is not the problem by comparing him to other owners who you are making a valid case for being worse owners?  You could very well compare him to other owners who are doing much better.  Owners of teams like the Patriots, Ravens, Red Sox, Lakers, etc.  You are just setting the bar as low as it can possibly go and saying 'it could be worse'.

Blank is doing a lot of things right. And while I'm a pretty decent negotiator I'm sure he's forgotten more negotiating tactics than I'll ever learn. But you can't go around saying stuff like "he's going to be a Falcon for life," while running an NFL team. You need to be willing to make the hard decisions including trading away popular assets while they are at peak cost & talent.

Like with any negotiation - you need to be able to walk away.

Art Blank turned a C organization into a B organization but his lack of business acumen and inability to hire and fire in his  front office and his inability to stay out of the way will be the reason Atlanta never wins a Super Bowl with him as owner. For all the "great" things he's done, he still only has one trip to the Super Bowl and the Smith family had one trip to the Super Bowl. Instead of us averaging 5 wins a year we now average 8. Blank has made us average were before we were poor, let's dont sugar coat the facts. 

For anyone who thinks AB is a bad owner, please do some research and look up Dan Snyder with the Redskins... Blank is a godsend compared to Snyder.

Case in point, of the ~140 office organizational level people the Redskins employed between the 2018 and 2019 season, ~40 of them quit their jobs during the off season. That is an organization that is in shambles from the top down.

Edited by Leggggggo

18 minutes ago, Leggggggo said:

For anyone who thinks AB is a bad owner, please do some research and look up Dan Snyder with the Redskins... Blank is a godsend compared to Snyder.

Case in point, of the ~140 office organizational level people the Redskins employed between the 2018 and 2019 season, ~40 of them quite their jobs during the off season. That is an organization that is in shambles from the top down.

I believe it! But that franchise has 3 superbowls.....3 different QBs winning it!

Blank is a decent owner but not a great owner. He's hot or cold. Yes there are worse owners, Dan Snyder being one but there sure are a lot of better ones as well. I think Blank is somewhere in the middle, just like our team, a team and their trophy case is a direct reflection of the owner and their ability to run a NFL franchise. We seem to keep the same front office people year in and year out and this why we have to same results of hiring a new coach every four years, not being able to run the football, not having good o-lines, not having top tier defenses. Same people doing same things will equal same results. Blank doesnt change this so I dont see how anyone can consider him to be a "top tier" owner. 

Edited by Refried Beans

2 hours ago, Refried Beans said:

Blank is a decent owner but not a great owner. He's hot or cold. Yes there are worse owners, Dan Snyder being one but there sure are a lot of better ones as well. I think Blank is somewhere in the middle, just like our team, a team and their trophy case is a direct reflection of the owner and their ability to run a NFL franchise. We seem to keep the same front office people year in and year out and this why we have to same results of hiring a new coach every four years, not being able to run the football, not having good o-lines, not having top tier defenses. Same people doing same things will equal same results. Blank doesnt change this so I dont see how anyone can consider him to be a "top tier" owner. 

Beans, I know who you are now.......the future owner.

On 11/30/2019 at 0:13 PM, vafalconfan said:

A lot of younger fans don't remember the Smith family..those were dark days. Hopeless and amateurish bad decisions by people who knew nothing about pro football. Blank is not perfect, but he's a smart dude who will eventually get the right people.

He’s had nearly 20 years to “eventually” get the right people. Guess he needs 20 more. I should be more patient then. 

I think he's part of the problem, but I don't want him gone.  I just want him to learn from his mistakes.

I grant that I base my opinion on his role based solely on circumstance, but circumstantially, through 2 head coaches now we've had the same issue come up.  Things go great when the coach installs his scheme, coaches, players, etc.  Then after some early success, confusion sets in.  The organization begins to do things that don't make sense.  Feeding the offensive side of the ball in 2011 and 2013/2014.  Hiring Koetter to run a WCO/ZBS offense.  Double dipping at OL in the draft after ignoring it for years.  Things that make me think the owner and GM are chasing a ring instead of concentrating on letting the coach build a team.  I think others play a role too, and I don't absolve the coaches at all.  Smith and Quinn have both made mistakes, even if their only mistakes were to capitulate to the owner/GM (they weren't, but even if that's all they did, it's bad).  I do think the GM is past his time here and is demonstrably incapable of stocking this roster for sustained success.

Now, maybe it was Smitty's idea to fire Mularkey and BVG and hire Koetter and Nolan to get more "explosive" and "multiple" respectively.  Maybe it was Quinn's idea to fire Sark and Manuel and hire Koetter to run the offense, but still insist on keeping the same terminology and scheme in place.  But when guys who are known for stability and having a solid, coherent philosophy and scheme come here and all of a sudden can't figure out who they are or what they're trying to do, I have to think that's being imposed more than they just arrive here and flake out for no reason.

There's a reason confusion reigns in the late-period of our last 2 head coaching staffs.  And I don't think it's the coaches.  Maybe I'm wrong.

6 minutes ago, JDaveG said:

I think he's part of the problem, but I don't want him gone.  I just want him to learn from his mistakes.

I grant that I base my opinion on his role based solely on circumstance, but circumstantially, through 2 head coaches now we've had the same issue come up.  Things go great when the coach installs his scheme, coaches, players, etc.  Then after some early success, confusion sets in.  The organization begins to do things that don't make sense.  Feeding the offensive side of the ball in 2011 and 2013/2014.  Hiring Koetter to run a WCO/ZBS offense.  Double dipping at OL in the draft after ignoring it for years.  Things that make me think the owner and GM are chasing a ring instead of concentrating on letting the coach build a team.  I think others play a role too, and I don't absolve the coaches at all.  Smith and Quinn have both made mistakes, even if their only mistakes were to capitulate to the owner/GM (they weren't, but even if that's all they did, it's bad).  I do think the GM is past his time here and is demonstrably incapable of stocking this roster for sustained success.

Now, maybe it was Smitty's idea to fire Mularkey and BVG and hire Koetter and Nolan to get more "explosive" and "multiple" respectively.  Maybe it was Quinn's idea to fire Sark and Manuel and hire Koetter to run the offense, but still insist on keeping the same terminology and scheme in place.  But when guys who are known for stability and having a solid, coherent philosophy and scheme come here and all of a sudden can't figure out who they are or what they're trying to do, I have to think that's being imposed more than they just arrive here and flake out for no reason.

There's a reason confusion reigns in the late-period of our last 2 head coaching staffs.  And I don't think it's the coaches.  Maybe I'm wrong.

It's that Superbowl Dave. I honestly believe between that and 2017 season....we lost ourselves in desire to play great football. But, I don't believe anyone can put a finger on it. That Superbowl cost us in pain, desire to go further and we simply collapsed....even afterwards.

Just now, *Old Pappy Falcon* said:

It's that Superbowl Dave. I honestly believe between that and 2017 season....we lost ourselves in desire to play great football. But, I don't believe anyone can put a finger on it. That Superbowl cost us in pain, desire to go further and we simply collapsed....even afterwards.

Before that it was 2012.

We're always chasing the past.