Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
therawest

Schlenk has to make a move

25 posts in this topic

Trae Young has already established himself as a star in this league. Schlenk needs to move up the time line and trade this year for another superstar to go with Trae. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, No.11 said:

This is a totally reactionary move. As much as it may suck to watch, Schlenk is better off letting this season play out and see what he has before he starts moving assets.

All the way this. I didn't expect much even before Collins got suspended, but him being out does show that we need shooters and bigs. Once Heurter returns healthy, that should help, but we don't have much else in that department besides Trae of course. Our centers are trash. 

We'll have money to spend in the offseason, and we'll have much clearer ideas of who is a long term asset and who isn't. We have a bunch of young guys, and the time to start striking will be this coming offseason and next - and not a moment before. 

blkbigdog35, Mr.11 and GEORGIAfan like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, ATL Fan in the DMV said:

All the way this. I didn't expect much even before Collins got suspended, but him being out does show that we need shooters and bigs. Once Heurter returns healthy, that should help, but we don't have much else in that department besides Trae of course. Our centers are trash. 

We'll have money to spend in the offseason, and we'll have much clearer ideas of who is a long term asset and who isn't. We have a bunch of young guys, and the time to start striking will be this coming offseason and next - and not a moment before. 

Completely agree. 1 of the worst things a team can do is overspend and trade away assets before they are ready. 

Let us not forget that this time last year, Trae was considered a bust. Things can change. We just need to give Hunter and Reddish more time as well as let Collins and Huerter get back. 

At the end of the season, we will have 2 1st round picks and a massive amount of cap space. 

I will say I am open to trading Jabari/Crabbe for a Center on a 2-3 year contract before the deadline. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The core of this team is a fundamentally unsound team.  None of them pass the ball outside of Huerter, Hunter and Reddish...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Spts1 said:

The core of this team is a fundamentally unsound team.  None of them pass the ball outside of Huerter, Hunter and Reddish...

That is 3/5s of our young core. Plus how can you say Trae doesn't pass the ball when he is our leading assister and 3rd in the league in assists. 

JDFIII likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, GEORGIAfan said:

That is 3/5s of our young core. Plus how can you say Trae doesn't pass the ball when he is our leading assister and 3rd in the league in assists. 

Trae dominates the ball at a level to were by default he is gonna have a high number of assists.  Trae's game is built around him shooting first and dominating the ball.  

tactician likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Spts1 said:

Trae dominates the ball at a level to were by default he is gonna have a high number of assists.  Trae's game is built around him shooting first and dominating the ball.  

Trae is our primary ball handler because of his vision and passing abilities. I know he can score, but Schlenk traded for him because of that. And trae has no problem taking a step back to let others shine, but no one else is hitting shots at his level. If guys were hitting shots, he would average even more assists and he is already 3rd.

Our core is not unsound. we just need 2 of them to come back and the other 2 to continue to progress. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I thnk you all are missing my point. My point is we need to speed up the rebuilding process because we have a bonafide star in Trae. Although we have a ton of cash this offseason, its useless because there are no worthwhile free agents. NONE. Schlenk has set the team up perfectly to trade for a star this year without losing out on much. We can still keep our core and develop the Young talent.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, therawest said:

I thnk you all are missing my point. My point is we need to speed up the rebuilding process because we have a bonafide star in Trae. Although we have a ton of cash this offseason, its useless because there are no worthwhile free agents. NONE. Schlenk has set the team up perfectly to trade for a star this year without losing out on much. We can still keep our core and develop the Young talent.  

What trade do you have in mind? What star should we trade for?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, GEORGIAfan said:

What trade do you have in mind? What star should we trade for?

They could gamble and trade some picks and a player for Drummond.  Drummond is unrestricted after this season so the Hawks might prefer to wait that situation out...

Edited by Spts1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Spts1 said:

They could gamble and trade some picks and a player for Drummond.  Drummond is unrestricted after this season so the Hawks might prefer to wait that situation out...

Trading away assets for an expiring contract is exactly what I don't want us to do. It isn't like giving up assets is going to cheapen the price tag of Drummond and Drummond could decide to just leave anyway, so no guarantees either. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We should aim or someone who is in a longterm contract or willing to extend. I like Drummond and he could be on the trading block. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, GEORGIAfan said:

What trade do you have in mind? What star should we trade for?

Drummond for Parsons and 16th pick

or Draymond for Crabbe, Parsons an our 1st this year. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, therawest said:

We should aim or someone who is in a longterm contract or willing to extend. I like Drummond and he could be on the trading block. 

 

14 hours ago, therawest said:

Drummond for Parsons and 16th pick

or Draymond for Crabbe, Parsons an our 1st this year. 

Not a fan of trading for an expiring contract, especially when the player is an UFA. No guarantee Drummond resigns and he is expecting Max Dollars. I just don't want to give up assets AND have to pay him max dollars. 

Draymond has taken many steps back from his peak and is making max dollars as well. He will also be 30 going into next season. Feels like a Chris Paul situation.

I don't disagree that we should make a move for a piece instead of going draft heavy again. The person I currently want is Myles Turner. IND just extended Sabonis and drafted Goga. He is a good defender and a good perimeter shooter(40+% from 3). Also Sabonis is already extended at 18 per year. 

jayu70 likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, GEORGIAfan said:

 

Not a fan of trading for an expiring contract, especially when the player is an UFA. No guarantee Drummond resigns and he is expecting Max Dollars. I just don't want to give up assets AND have to pay him max dollars. 

Draymond has taken many steps back from his peak and is making max dollars as well. He will also be 30 going into next season. Feels like a Chris Paul situation.

I don't disagree that we should make a move for a piece instead of going draft heavy again. The person I currently want is Myles Turner. IND just extended Sabonis and drafted Goga. He is a good defender and a good perimeter shooter(40+% from 3). Also Sabonis is already extended at 18 per year. 

I like the Turner idea, but i am not totally sold on him as a player. Draymond already signed his extension with Golden State. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/1/2019 at 8:05 PM, therawest said:

Drummond for Parsons and 16th pick

or Draymond for Crabbe, Parsons an our 1st this year. 

Lets make it happen!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, therawest said:

Lets make it happen!

This actually seems like it could work (the Drummond one). If they will do it... let’s go!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Schlenk does it again. The Capela move is one i didn't think of because i didn't think Houston would ever part with him.  He is only one notch below drummond in terms of production but a notch above as an individual. He also has a ton of playoff experience. His three years remaining is very reasonable and will be off the books by the time we have to pay Trae and Collins. Also, this doesn't stop us from considering James Wiseman in the draft.  

Mr.11, Drew4719, jayu70 and 2 others like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good to have Dedmon back. We now have a good rotation for the 5 spot. We also have freedom to go with the BPA in the draft. I do love the direction we are heading with our Hawks.

Mr.11 and therawest like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0