m2Falcons

Keepers

61 posts in this topic

Premise = as new GM going into the 2020 NFL Off Season you have to determine which current players you value enough to project having them on your roster after the next two seasons (2020 & 2021) are completed, and moving forward with them at least potentially into 2022 and beyond.

*Everyone can be traded = No Sacred Cows       **Not required to be a Projected Starter to be valued a Keeper.

This isn't about salary, pay-per-position, contracts, dead money, etc.  Over two seasons a motivated GM can retool a roster and manage it monetarily in a manner that at least allows the organization to survive/absorb it.

My Keepers - Defense: 7

Grady Jarrett - DT: foundation player; team leader

Isaiah Oliver - CB: debatable, but with correct scheme/defense his arrow is Up in my estimation

Kendall Sheffield - CB

Jordan Miller - CB: two seasons will prove if retaining him beyond is wise; but for now arrow Up

John Cominsky - DL

Debo Jones - LB: requires serious conversations with Debo to decide; 50/50 keep/trade

Foyesade Oluokun: debatable, but two seasons will prove if retaining him beyond is wise; but for now arrow Up

My Keepers - Offense: 7

Chris Lindstrom - G/C: lost Rookie season, but reasonable to believe he is long term fixture as either G or C; has makings of a Team/OL leader

Kaleb McGary - OL: may turn out alright at RT in long term, but he might be a potential Pro Bowl player at G

Jaaden Graham - TE: looks like a great ROI/depth/"2-personnel" TE

Qadree Ollison - RB: grossly underutilized as Rookie RB ?; two seasons will show if worth retaining once a FA

Russell Gage - WR: two more seasons will show if worth retaining once a FA

Julio Jones - WR: hopefully retires a Falcon

Matt Ryan - QB: projecting as starter for 2 to 3 (max) seasons, but will be scouting all QBs intently in effort to identify QB targets in next three drafts. Absolutely willing to maneuver as necessary to get targeted QB in any of those 3 drafts if opportunity is there.

4 minutes ago, BirdGangATL said:

Calvin Ridley? Still in his rookie contract bro, why wouldn’t you want to keep him?

I'm projecting beyond his rookie deal; his rookie deal ends after 2021 (assuming no 5th year option). I simply am not convinced it is worth the investment to keep him once the rookie deal (and 5th year option activation required) ends

3 minutes ago, ya_boi_j said:

Hooper and Ridley

you can't pay everyone; not every player is worth the investment required to resign as FA/second contract.

when players are allowed to go into FA the losing team gets comp pick (value varies); that extra pick(s) can prove invaluable for refreshing a roster for cheap

2 minutes ago, m2Falcons said:

I'm projecting beyond his rookie deal; his rookie deal ends after 2021 (assuming no 5th year option). I simply am not convinced it is worth the investment to keep him once the rookie deal (and 5th year option activation required) ends

So you would rather pay a 32 year old again instead of a 26 year old who would have another 7-8 years left in the tank? 

Schwarzwald, Geneaut, Borat and 5 others like this

2 minutes ago, WhiskeyBruh said:

O - Ryan, Hooper, Julio, Ridley, Gage, Graham, Ito (if he can go)

D - Grady, Takk, Rico

ST - Barner, Allen

That's it lol.

I also like Barner for the Return duty and extra RB in a pinch. Just that's a position that should be updated with young legs pretty often and the draft/FA is a great resource to do that with.

WhiskeyBruh likes this

So you would rather pay a 32 year old again instead of a 26 year old who would have another 7-8 years left in the tank? 

Julio is better. And will be better (barring debilitating injury) for another 2 to 3 seasons. Ridley is good; would retain for right price if opportunity was there to do so, but bottom line is I'm not convinced he is going to be worth #1 WR money in two years. But I certainly understand the folks that do; you may prove correct. The good thing is in my projection...  could still compete to sign him as FA after year 4 if absolutely makes sense to do so. Or draft a WR, or sign a cheaper FA that perhaps a better ROI.

ya_boi_j likes this

Just now, m2Falcons said:

Julio is better. And will be better (barring debilitating injury) for another 2 to 3 seasons. Ridley is good; would retain for right price if opportunity was there to do so, but bottom line is I'm not convinced he is going to be worth #1 WR money in two years. But I certainly understand the folks that do; you may prove correct. The good thing is in my projection...  could still compete to sign him as FA after year 4 if absolutely makes sense to do so. Or draft a WR, or sign a cheaper FA that perhaps a better ROI.

You don’t have to pay Ridley for another 3 years realistically. But that’s an interesting prospective that you displayed. That’s a very rare opinion around here

21 minutes ago, m2Falcons said:

https://tse1.mm.bing.net/th?id=OGC.8b2029f540c8ca1016b09c3d2a1a2594&pid=Api&rurl=https%3a%2f%2fmedia.giphy.com%2fmedia%2fl0HlKxtv9QklSbju8%2f200.gif&ehk=5o3Tau1NryZJJRo6UpBiOVFxG5zEJjfJ%2bQXM6stg3XQ%3d

You don’t have to pay Ridley for another 3 years realistically. But that’s an interesting prospective that you displayed. That’s a very rare opinion around here

That 3rd year though you do have to pay him. BIG.

The cost of a 2018 '5th Year Option' for Ridley would have been $9,387,000

Ill keep our rookie linemen, Ridley, Hill and Graham and Mathews by default. I’d rather unload Julio and Ryan if we can. 

on D I’ll keep Grady, Deion, Oloukon, and Sheff. 

we’ve got a lot of work to do. I wish I could look forward to Neal coming back from the injury and being productive but I’m just not counting on that happening. 

Flyin' In DC likes this

24 minutes ago, MoFalconsFan56 said:

Ill keep our rookie linemen, Ridley, Hill and Graham and Mathews by default. I’d rather unload Julio and Ryan if we can. 

on D I’ll keep Grady, Deion, Oloukon, and Sheff. 

we’ve got a lot of work to do. I wish I could look forward to Neal coming back from the injury and being productive but I’m just not counting on that happening. 

Also would unload Julio and/or Ryan if a team wanted to make it worth it.  Matthews' play has fallen off so much this year; not one would expect of his bloodline; I assume we can cut him after 2021 if he never recovers his play, or trade for a pick at least to unload him.

Agree on Neal. Cheaper to replace Neal, and likely get far more snaps out of the younger replacement as well.

1 hour ago, ya_boi_j said:

Hooper and Ridley

Ehh gotta say no to Ridley , judging by last night. When julio retires idk if Ridley can be that guy. Roddy White consistently got doubled and still produced. Ridley looks like a product of Julio tbh 

4 hours ago, m2Falcons said:

Premise = as new GM going into the 2020 NFL Off Season you have to determine which current players you value enough to project having them on your roster after the next two seasons (2020 & 2021) are completed, and moving forward with them at least potentially into 2022 and beyond.

*Everyone can be traded = No Sacred Cows       **Not required to be a Projected Starter to be valued a Keeper.

This isn't about salary, pay-per-position, contracts, dead money, etc.  Over two seasons a motivated GM can retool a roster and manage it monetarily in a manner that at least allows the organization to survive/absorb it.

Isaiah Oliver - CB: debatable, but with correct scheme/defense his arrow is Up in my estimation

Kendall Sheffield - CB

Jordan Miller - CB: two seasons will prove if retaining him beyond is wise; but for now arrow Up

John Cominsky - DL

Debo Jones - LB: requires serious conversations with Debo to decide; 50/50 keep/trade

Not sure about Deion Jones...all in on Cominsky. 

This is laughable.

red falcon likes this

14 minutes ago, caponine said:

Ehh gotta say no to Ridley , judging by last night. When julio retires idk if Ridley can be that guy. Roddy White consistently got doubled and still produced. Ridley looks like a product of Julio tbh 

Say what?

Last night Ridley had 8 catches/91 yards...

That equates to a 128 catch/1450 yard season. 

8 minutes ago, Vandy said:

Say what?

Last night Ridley had 8 catches/91 yards...

That equates to a 128 catch/1450 yard season. 

Yeah but he needs to have a bigger impact on the game. Reason why I say that is because when the focus is on him can he consistently draw coverage and still produce. That's the real question that I want to know. 91 yards is good but it's not #1 wr good. I love his route running but idk if he has the physical tools to be that. Defenders keep knocking the ball out of his hands 

kiwifalcon likes this

Just now, caponine said:

Yeah but he needs to have a bigger impact on the game. Reason why I say that is because when the focus is on him can he consistently draw coverage and still produce. That's the real question that I want to know. 91 yards is good but it's not #1 wr good. I love his route running but idk if he has the physical tools to be that. Defenders keep knocking the ball out of his hands 

128 catches/ 1450 yards is most definitely #1 WR good.

2 minutes ago, Bunchy Carter said:

Not sure about Deion Jones...all in on Cominsky. 

This is laughable.

Cominsky costs practically nothing to keep right now. He seems to be a promising and capable Hybrid DL player.

Debo just got paid and has been inconsistent in his play; if he thinks he would be better served with a change of scenery then I would trade him. There is surely a team out there that would love to trade a good pick for him. If he decided to return his play to the level he got paid for then no question he's a keeper; but I'm not overpaying for the play he provided. He's better than he's been playing and everyone, including his teammates, knows it; to keep him in my organization under that circumstance is not an acceptable message to the team.

HouseofEuphoria likes this

4 minutes ago, Vandy said:

128 catches/ 1450 yards is most definitely #1 WR good.

This is the subject I most want to revisit with you after the season ends. When teams game plan for him as #1 consistently. I dont think we will have to worry about for at least 2more years but still. 

Vandy likes this

I been pending on this all season and this is my end point. 

Trade value players between 2021-2022 seasons.

1. Matt Ryan within these next two drafts we should find our Aaron Rodgers and get trade value for Matt once he has a poise season or two.

Keepers not name Matt Ryan

Offense: Matthews Brown Mack Lindstrom Mcgary Jones Ridley Ollison Graham Smith Ito

Defense: Grady Cominsky Davison Senat Debo Foye Oliver Sheffield Miller Kazee(safety only)

ST: Allen

3 hours ago, WhiskeyBruh said:

O - Ryan, Hooper, Julio, Ridley, Gage, Graham, Ito (if he can go)

D - Grady, Takk, Rico

ST - Barner, Allen

That's it lol.

I like barner, I’d like to see him retained and maybe integrated in offense a bit more 

WhiskeyBruh likes this

5 hours ago, m2Falcons said:

Kendall Sheffield - CB

John Cominsky - DL

Foyesade Oluokun: debatable, but two seasons will prove if retaining him beyond is wise; but for now arrow Up

My Keepers - Offense: 7

Chris Lindstrom - G/C: lost Rookie season, but reasonable to believe he is long term fixture as either G or C; has makings of a Team/OL leader

Kaleb McGary - OL: may turn out alright at RT in long term, but he might be a potential Pro Bowl player at G

Jaaden Graham - TE: looks like a great ROI/depth/"2-personnel" TE

Qadree Ollison - RB: grossly underutilized as Rookie RB ?; two seasons will show if worth retaining once a FA

Russell Gage - WR: two more seasons will show if worth retaining once a FA

Julio Jones - WR: hopefully retires a Falcon

Matt Ryan - QB: projecting as starter for 2 to 3 (max) seasons, but will be scouting all QBs intently in effort to identify QB targets in next three drafts. Absolutely willing to maneuver as necessary to get targeted QB in any of those 3 drafts if opportunity is there.

I like this post. I also keep thinking Kaleb May be a G. I’m talking all pro type guard. He’s nasty, has some athleticism, but he’s be better mauling and in less space.

itd be interesting to draft Alaric from Iowa or trey Adams (if healthy) for RT and move Kaleb inside 

m2Falcons likes this