Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Herr Beast

I fear the next two years will be what the Giants were in 2017/18

Basically sitting out the contract of your revered but aging franchise QB, hoping for some kind of miracle despite having a flawed roster with some superstar WR but terrible lines. One or even two new coaches will come and go while trying to get something out of a team build by someone else.

It might be a slow and painful death, that will drag on for some additional years. Also because I believe that AB will not hire anyone as DQs (and TDs) replacement with a concrete plan to transition the team to a new era... but rather someone who promises to salvage the wreck while keeping most pieces on board.

I hope I am wrong though...

Ryan is the same QB who excelled under Shanny. Put him back in a system that focuses on running to set up play action and you will see how terrible a comparison this is. Eli had games that approached Matt Ryan at his best, but never seasons.

And given how this year is going, I think you underestimate how bold Blank is willing to be regarding the future.

The one thing you can never say about Blank is that he doesn't care about winning. He will do what it takes to make us a winner, he knows he doesn't have much time left as it is.

If Blank doesn’t clean house of everyone from McKay down we could see Ryan just getting hammered for the rest of his career while the team sucks due to bad contracts to bad players. 

I am also ready to say purge the whole staff and roster as needed...cut dead weight and eat the cap hits...basically sacrifice a season (financially) to start fresh with talent and cap space.

We all have our favorites, but bring in a new FO, have no sacred cows and clean house as needed. That’s not a Ryan or JJ bash, because despite our little mob of Ryan haters, a new staff would have likely no interest in starting over at QB, unless they can trade him for a haul of high picks.

13 minutes ago, FalconAge said:

Ryan is the same QB who excelled under Shanny. Put him back in a system that focuses on running to set up play action and you will see how terrible a comparison this is. Eli had games that approached Matt Ryan at his best, but never seasons.

And given how this year is going, I think you underestimate how bold Blank is willing to be regarding the future.

The one thing you can never say about Blank is that he doesn't care about winning. He will do what it takes to make us a winner, he knows he doesn't have much time left as it is.

I am not comparing Ryan to Eli, just the situation the Falcons may be stuck in. A flawed and uneven roster with no cap space and going nowhere and an aging franchise QB on a long contract.

What you describe as a potential turnaround is what I described as „hoping for a miracle“. I just don‘t see it because I believe the Falcons HC / OC gig is rather unappealing and we are probably not getting Kyle 2.0... I say this because any new coach has to work with what the former regime has left him, something that all new coaches would hate.

So really, unless this miracle happens, we will be a meddling team of few high paid but declining players... that simply sits out those big contracts and then starts a real rebuild in 2021/22. We might trade Julio somewhere in between, just like the Giants did, to make the rebuild official. 

I fear that is way it is most likely to happen and it will be a drag, a slow and painful death.

And as I said, I hope I am wrong.

4 minutes ago, derttyfalconfan said:

at least we aint the bengals  , cup half full  ,  I drank other half watchin

I wouldn‘t want a 0-16 season either. I think that would break my Falcons fanship for good.

But I could stomach another 2007 if it means house cleaning. But the situation is very different. In 2007 we didn‘t have a franchise QB, so it was always clear that the new coach could install his own QB and run his own schemes. The Falcons in 2019 are not only set at franchise QB but also on multiple other important position (LT, WR1)... though everyone is underperforming their contract. The fact that the only player on offense out performing his contract was Sanu is quite frightening and makes me depressed about the future. 

Because we really need a miracle worker as the HC to get this bunch performing up to their contracts, If that is not the case, we won‘t be able to do a house cleaning because of the cap and basically uncuttable/untradable players because if their contracts. We simply will just sit those contracts out and hope for the best.

5 minutes ago, Refried Beans said:

No the Giants organization knows how to run the football, the Falcons do not. 

Though I believe they probably picked the wrong guy with Daniel Jones. Should have used the best available talent in 2019 and draft a QB in 2020. Eli wasn‘t going to win anything either after the Beckham trade.

5 minutes ago, derttyfalconfan said:

there is honor in being a spoiler  , lets knock other teams off  and get momentum into 2020 , it did hurt watchin ed oliver on the bills  yesterday  when we should have traded up  for him

Well I don‘t think momentum translates if you change HC... that is if you even believe in momentum... some folks did after 2018, we saw how that worked out.

And the reason we don‘t have Ed Oliver on the team is because some people believed in momentum. Those last three wins in 2018 will haunt us for many years. Instead of getting elite help on defense, we reached multiple times on Olineman, giving up on a 3rd rounder for a guy we probably would have gotten with our regular 2nd rounder.

Plus it probably saved DQs job, which is a tragedy in itself. We were in rather decent position for a house clean after 2018, now we wasted another year and invested even more in DQs/TDs failed vision. It is just a mess, **** momentum.

Edited by Herr Beast

5 minutes ago, Herr Beast said:

We will find ways to squeeze out 5-7 wins and knock us away from the true elite draft prospects.

I’m a firm believer that draft position doesn’t mean much, it’s the evaluation of the talent drafted at said spot. You’d be amazed man. Last season, the top 20 sack leaders were all drafted outside of the top 10 except a few. With good scouting you’ll get good results outside of the top 10

Just now, ya_boi_j said:

I’m a firm believer that draft position doesn’t mean much, it’s the evaluation of the talent drafted at said spot. You’d be amazed man. Last season, the top 20 sack leaders were all drafted outside of the top 10 except a few. With good scouting you’ll get good results outside of the top 10

And then there is us, we busted inside the top 10 and outside of the top 10 

1 minute ago, derttyfalconfan said:

still upset we drafted tac over watt  that time  , tac is ok  I guess

I think he can be a valuable rotation DE that adds 5-7 sacks each year but I lost hopes of having a true successor to John Abraham.

Though we have seen dramatic changes in production from pass rushers with a coaching change... or change of scenery, though we wouldn‘t be the one getting the benefit if that... Shaquil Barrett was a fringe player before he came to the Bucs, now he looks like a legit force, I mean he was outstanding against us as well.

1 hour ago, ya_boi_j said:

I'm with you 100%, only if we have a new Gm

I have lost all faith in the current front office

29 minutes ago, falconfansince66 said:

Speaking of the Giants, fans board there want to grab Quinn after he's released/fired from Atlanta this season. 

Dan Quinn would not survive a year in NY. People and media won‘t buy any of this brotherhood BS there.

Just now, falconfansince66 said:

Yeah, but you never know.  The Jets sure wanted him but weren't willing to be patient enough to get him. 

People need to ask themselves what DQ actually brings to a team. Certainly not some magic X & Os stuff, his play calling on defense this was the worst I have ever seen in 30 years of watching the NFL. He knows nothing about offense or special teams and even admitted as much. The bottom line is, he is probably only some sort of motivator but his act has worn off for a long time now. And people in Atlanta are actually too nice to say that to him. In NY they will have no patience once they find out that rah rah is all he brings to the table.

He really should coach in college, I think his skill set is best used there.