Jump to content

Those Onside Kicks


falconfansince66
 Share

Recommended Posts

Despite missing a couple of FG's and an extra point, Koo's onside kicks where we basically got three in a row but had one recalled because of an 'offsides' penalty were awesome to watch near the end of the game last night. Does this make anyone want to keep Koo? 

Personally, he left seven points off the board last night and if the offense had played half as well as the defense did, there would not have been a need for the onside kicks.  I think we roll with Koo the rest of this season but I would like to see us draft the "Hot Rod" from UGA this next year. That kid has a great leg and could be a huge staple here for many seasons. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, Dr Long Shot said:

We saw something yesterday which we will never see again as long as we live. We recovered three onside kicks in a row. The Pats dynasty and the 28-3 SB are more likely. 

No doubt. Everyone's too busy being bashing anyone and nearly everyone on the team (and understandably so).  Was just trying to make a somewhat 'positive' post from last night but not many people are 'positive' on Black Friday! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We were spoiled for a decade by Matt Bryant in his prime. Finding a great kicker w/ both the consistency & range he had is extremely rare.

Granted it's still a pretty small sample size, but even w/ the missed FGs, Koo has been very serviceable for us so far in terms of accuracy (85.7%). Adding the ability to handle kickoff duties (and apparently being an onside kick wizard) bodes well for his chances of sticking with the team IMO. However I do have concerns about how consistent he'll be from long range. He did kick a 53 yarder in college, but he's yet to attempt a FG from 50+ in the NFL. With that kinda low knuckleball trajectory his kick seem to have, I'm a bit concerned he may not be very reliable in critical situations when we need a 50+ yard FG to win a game.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, falconfansince66 said:

Despite missing a couple of FG's and an extra point, Koo's onside kicks where we basically got three in a row but had one recalled because of an 'offsides' penalty were awesome to watch near the end of the game last night. Does this make anyone want to keep Koo? 

Personally, he left seven points off the board last night and if the offense had played half as well as the defense did, there would not have been a need for the onside kicks.  I think we roll with Koo the rest of this season but I would like to see us draft the "Hot Rod" from UGA this next year. That kid has a great leg and could be a huge staple here for many seasons. 

Signing "Hot Rod" Blankenship would be too smart for this franchise. He's a kid that as a kicker would draw a ton of support coming from UGA, and the kid has a strong leg and ice water in his veins. All that means we would never draft him SMH.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, wonderboy09 said:

Signing "Hot Rod" Blankenship would be too smart for this franchise. He's a kid that as a kicker would draw a ton of support coming from UGA, and the kid has a strong leg and ice water in his veins. All that means we would never draft him SMH.

Yeah, as bad as it sounds, this is about par for the course in Atlanta. Missed getting Kevin Butler from back in the day and all he did over ten years was kick for 1,116 points. But yeah, I think Blankenship would be a very smart pick, even if it's in the 5th or 6th round to get that nearby UGA support into the stands on game day. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, falconfansince66 said:

Yeah, as bad as it sounds, this is about par for the course in Atlanta. Missed getting Kevin Butler from back in the day and all he did over ten years was kick for 1,116 points. But yeah, I think Blankenship would be a very smart pick, even if it's in the 5th or 6th round to get that nearby UGA support into the stands on game day. 

Great point about Butler. We are in the middle of a pro football factory, and you'd think we would have a front office that could take advantage of that. But, when you go and get Pac-10 and west coast guys to run your franchise, this is what you get SMH. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It honestly made a lot of the prior frustration and anger go away for me from that game.  Seeing three straight onside kicks recovered is unheard of, especially in today's game.  That offsides call on Gage was BS too...but yeah, what a cool moment.  Shame we couldn't capitalize on them and pull out the W.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, wonderboy09 said:

Great point about Butler. We are in the middle of a pro football factory, and you'd think we would have a front office that could take advantage of that. But, when you go and get Pac-10 and west coast guys to run your franchise, this is what you get SMH. 

With the talent that Kirby Smart is bringing into UGA, you'd think we'd 'grab water from the local well'.  The last time we drafted an UGA player was Akeem Dent back in 2011 (3rd Round).  Overall, in 54 drafts since the inception of this club, we've only picked seven players from there.  I get that scheme fit is a big thing but since when is a very good kicker not a 'scheme fit' for any team? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...