Nobis_Ghost

How many *Mobile* Quarterbacks Have Won Super Bowls?

361 posts in this topic

Aaron Rodgers is considered a "mobile" QB and Matt Ryan is considered a "statue" and yet check out their 2019 rushing stats.

• Rodgers = 30 CAR, 122 YDS (4.1), 1 TD, 6 First Downs
  • Ryan = 22 CAR, 106 YDS (4.8), 1 TD, 8 First Downs

How can one be a "mobile" QB and the other be a "statue?" Anyone that has objectivity watched Matt Ryan's entire college and NFL career can see that he over the course of his football career has made plenty of plays with his legs and that calling him a statue is just so unfair and unjust.

Every QB in the NFL takes bad sacks from time to time when there's times they could have run and made plays with their legs. Every QB has had plays where they get tripped up and look stupid. Matt Ryan is not the exception here but he's treated like such because he is held to a different set of standards. No one puts QBs like Rodgers under the microscope the same way they do Ryan so when Rodgers does stupid things it doesn't get plasted about on here and Rodgers doesn't get made fun of ect, ect, ect.

Oh, I forgot, Rodgers "single handily won a Super Bowl" so nothing else matters. All that matters is which QB's have "carried" their teams to Super Bowl wins. People that think like that are the same people that think QBs like Trent Dilfer and Brad Johnson were better than Dan Marino and Dan Fouts because of those "Super Bowl rings."

Just so you know I'm not making any of this **** up, here's a short video showcasing some of these Aaron Rodgers mistakes that are just as bad as some of the ones Matt Ryan has made. But "sUpEr BoWl WiNz."

knomercy likes this

This guy ^^above me hates Matt Ryan one week then loves him the next. Don’t take this cherry picked delusional post serious. He doesn’t even know what to think.

Rings likes this

Just now, Falconsfan567 said:

Aaron Rodgers is considered a "mobile" QB and Matt Ryan is considered a "statue" and yet check out their 2019 rushing stats.

How can one be a "mobile" QB and the other be a "statue?" Anyone that has objectivity watched Matt Ryan's entire college and NFL career can see that he over the course of his football career has made plenty of plays with his legs and that calling him a statue is just so unfair and unjust.

Every QB in the NFL takes bad sacks from time to time when there's times they could have run and made plays with their legs. Every QB has had plays where they get tripped up and look stupid. Matt Ryan is not the exception here but he's treated like such because he is held to a different set of standards. No one puts QBs like Rodgers under the microscope the same way they do Ryan so when Rodgers does stupid things it doesn't get plasted about on here and Rodgers doesn't get made fun of ect, ect, ect.

Oh, I forgot, Rodgers "single handily won a Super Bowl" so nothing else matters. All that matters is which QB's have "carried" their teams to Super Bowl wins. People that think like that are the same people that think QBs like Trent Dilfer and Brad Johnson were better than Dan Marino and Dan Fouts because of those "Super Bowl rings."

Just so you know I'm not making any of this **** up, here's a short video showcasing some of these Aaron Rodgers mistakes that are just as bad as some of the ones Matt Ryan has made. But "sUpEr BoWl WiNz."

But we didn't win it. I'll admit 8675309 falcon, That Packers team barely escaped from losing it....like the Pats.

Pages and pages...threads and threads about a future HoF QB that can’t get run out of town fast enough.

Who would ever WANT to play QB here?

It’s pathetic.

Oh, and Ryan’s cap hit didn’t hurt you this year or last year. He was middle of the pack.

Let’s continue focusing on a couple players rather than appreciate the ultimate team sport requires coaches and systems that actually feature good play design, execution and timing of the call mattering >>>>> more than simply how talented a roster is.

My theory is: Quinn can motivate. He can’t get the right coordinators? Failure of a HC without that.

We left Sark trying to become a power run Mularkey OL/controlling type offense to protect Dan’s job and defense. It didn’t work and the sacrifice? A far less efficient passing system that can get you yardage, but has its drop offs in scoring and balance.

100% we would be a much more efficient offense:

1) Not leaving OL out to dry 5-7 steps or permanently shotgun without a run game.

2) Having stayed with quick game options and outside ZBS; which almost all our OL are better suited for; minus Carpenter (arguably the worst OL starter).

Dirk is making this offense worse than Sark year 2. I would’ve liked to see what Year 3 Sark with OL resources and staying with a better system fit for the personnel would have looked like. At least his RZ scoring rebounded well despite lacking a run game. Dirk just gets more predictable and it’s more of a burden on the OL and QB. Had the run game changes implemented worked out? Maybe we can hide Dirk’s antiquated concepts that aren’t meshing well in this Frankenstein offense.

And, as mobile QBs have become more the norm that means the better coaches will get the better personnel and adapt. League is about adapting to shut them down.

NFL today still favors teams that can control games with the run because everyone benefits from the rules that benefit pass offense now. The strategists out there know how and when to dial up the right method of attack on a per drive basis; with situations and pulse of the game in mind, and the plays should start coming naturally.

Everything I see from Dirk is forcing what he wants. Even if you produce vs bottom defense, you will never get them vs dominant level. This makes what we did to get out to a lead and not run the ball egregiously bad in SB51. The dumb part is we had the OC that fit us perfectly. And DQ wasted it. He blew it as HC then and hasn’t had the luxury since.

Coaching and systems > these Ryan hate threads.

You’ll only end up running off your next QB.

3 hours ago, Intellectually Honest said:

8 mobile QBs won the Super Bowl. Joe won 4. Ben won 2 and the other 6 won 1 a piece. Now they aren't Randall Cunningham mobile, but they are mobile in the sense they can move around  in the pocket quite well and pick up a few yards running, and be accurate when scrambling.

Ryan can run for a few yards here or there. Problem is with his pocket mobility and throwing on the run.

Dude just stop...Joe Montana is mobile? Ben?...wow lol

knomercy likes this

On 11/29/2019 at 11:20 AM, ya_boi_j said:

Aaron Rodgers and Russell Wilson are 2 mobile qbs that won Super Bowls. This list is only an opinion of the best mobile qbs of all time

And, both did it on the backs of dominant Defense.

To me, mobile means that they're just as likely to run as they are to pass. In my mind, that means people like Kaepernick, Vick, Lamar. Cunningham.

Having said that, no, no mobile QB has ever won a Super Bowl except Russell Wilson.

On 11/30/2019 at 7:51 AM, MSalmon said:

Yup. And Ryan was far more mobile in the shanny system with rollouts and shorter progressions. It’s that dam Air Coryell crapola DK has that you and I hate so badly. We were both biatching as soon as he was hired. That DK model requires elite play at all levels, demands way too much perfection and is frankly archaic as the speed of defenders is way more enhanced than years past.

dump it. Get Kubiak in here, or an EP guy...heck Mularkey is an EP guy, he’d be better

This. And many other valid points.

Matt had a great year personally last season in spite of everything else. This year we made his job harder trying to become power run football; good idea, at the sacrifice of a high end passing game.

This is why we seemingly went in after firing Sark with a Kubiak or bust approach...

How can we target Kubiak and wanting more pure Shanahan rebirth offense...from sark...to DIRK?

Just give us Mularkey back but we all know he peaked before...Dirk most certainly had and at least MM would have had more balance. Maybe gotten the right OL coach to get his run blocking back on point? It’s been bad. Free and Ito have been our best runner so far this year at creating their own yards...both most injury prone the struggle.

Go back to Kubiak chasing now that DEN ain’t gonna block him and that mold at minimum; in any way possible first, but anything other than this Dirk with no run game nonsense.

Offensive minded HC and a legit support system again since 2016...I’m sure we can do a lot better than DQ on defense.

Edited by Schwarzwald
MSalmon likes this

Just now, Schwarzwald said:

This. And many other valid points.

Matt had a great year personally last season in spite of everything else. This year we made his job harder trying to become power run football; good idea, at the sacrifice of a high end passing game.

This is why we seemingly went in after firing Sark with a Kubiak or bust approach...

How can we target Kubiak and wanting more pure Shanahan rebirth offense...from sark...to DIRK?

Just give us Mularkey back but we all know he peaked before...Dirk most certainly had and at least MM would have had more balance. Maybe gotten the right OL coach to get his run blocking back on point? It’s been bad. Free and Ito have been our best runner so far this year at creating their own yards...both most injury prone the struggle.

Go back to Kubiak and that mold in any way possible first or anything but Dirk with no run game.

Well said, my friend. 

Schwarzwald likes this

On 11/29/2019 at 8:01 AM, ChickenBiscuit said:

Here's a better question:

How many has Ryan won?

1 poor coaching decision away from having as many rings as Russ.

What exactly was your point again?

Schwarzwald and Rings like this

2 hours ago, abcranford2 said:

Dude just stop...Joe Montana is mobile? Ben?...wow lol

And he calls himself "Intellectually Honest" 

2 minutes ago, knomercy said:

1 poor coaching decision away from having as many rings as Russ.

What exactly was your point again?

Russ should have two if we’re factoring in poor coaching decisions lol, bad point. 

And the point was that if you’re a Falcons fan, you have no right to talk **** on mobile QBs. Because we have the definition of a pocket passer and we’re ringless. My point that you so badly missed, was that it’s the TEAM not the QB. Pocket passers aren’t better or worse than mobile QBs and historical precedent in the NFL doesn’t mean **** in today’s NFL. 

Look at my other posts before you decide to open up your mouth. I’ve stated time and time again that Ryan isn’t the reason we suck.

*Old Pappy Falcon* likes this

4 hours ago, Jerz #Quinning said:

This guy ^^above me hates Matt Ryan one week then loves him the next. Don’t take this cherry picked delusional post serious. He doesn’t even know what to think.

He was flat-out calling for Matt Ryan’s release in one of the game threads. I think it might’ve been the Philly game? I can’t remember. This was like a day after he was insulting people for suggesting Matt Ryan didn’t have a strong arm. I have zero respect for that dudes opinions, whatsoever. 

Spts1 and Jerz #Quinning like this

5 hours ago, Falconsfan567 said:

Congrats, you just tore down several strawmen and won an argument with yourself.

And I LOVE how you compared their 2019 rushing stats but left out the career rushing yds, it makes you look really genuine and honest.

Jerz #Quinning and Spts1 like this

7 minutes ago, ChickenBiscuit said:

He was flat-out calling for Matt Ryan’s release in one of the game threads. I think it might’ve been the Philly game? I can’t remember. This was like a day after he was insulting people for suggesting Matt Ryan didn’t have a strong arm. I have zero respect for that dudes opinions, whatsoever. 

And he's done it multiple times literally insulting people on both sides. Might be the most fickle poster on this board. His opinions belong right in the trash no matter what perspective he chooses to argue from.

ChickenBiscuit and Spts1 like this

2 hours ago, Schwarzwald said:

And, both did it on the backs of dominant Defense.

Aaron Rodgers didn't have a "Dominant " defense that year. That's a ******* lie. Don't lie to my son!

4 hours ago, Schwarzwald said:

Pages and pages...threads and threads about a future HoF QB that can’t get run out of town fast enough.

Who would ever WANT to play QB here?

It’s pathetic.

Oh, and Ryan’s cap hit didn’t hurt you this year or last year. He was middle of the pack.

Let’s continue focusing on a couple players rather than appreciate the ultimate team sport requires coaches and systems that actually feature good play design, execution and timing of the call mattering >>>>> more than simply how talented a roster is.

My theory is: Quinn can motivate. He can’t get the right coordinators? Failure of a HC without that.

We left Sark trying to become a power run Mularkey OL/controlling type offense to protect Dan’s job and defense. It didn’t work and the sacrifice? A far less efficient passing system that can get you yardage, but has its drop offs in scoring and balance.

100% we would be a much more efficient offense:

1) Not leaving OL out to dry 5-7 steps or permanently shotgun without a run game.

2) Having stayed with quick game options and outside ZBS; which almost all our OL are better suited for; minus Carpenter (arguably the worst OL starter).

Dirk is making this offense worse than Sark year 2. I would’ve liked to see what Year 3 Sark with OL resources and staying with a better system fit for the personnel would have looked like. At least his RZ scoring rebounded well despite lacking a run game. Dirk just gets more predictable and it’s more of a burden on the OL and QB. Had the run game changes implemented worked out? Maybe we can hide Dirk’s antiquated concepts that aren’t meshing well in this Frankenstein offense.

And, as mobile QBs have become more the norm that means the better coaches will get the better personnel and adapt. League is about adapting to shut them down.

NFL today still favors teams that can control games with the run because everyone benefits from the rules that benefit pass offense now. The strategists out there know how and when to dial up the right method of attack on a per drive basis; with situations and pulse of the game in mind, and the plays should start coming naturally.

Everything I see from Dirk is forcing what he wants. Even if you produce vs bottom defense, you will never get them vs dominant level. This makes what we did to get out to a lead and not run the ball egregiously bad in SB51. The dumb part is we had the OC that fit us perfectly. And DQ wasted it. He blew it as HC then and hasn’t had the luxury since.

Coaching and systems > these Ryan hate threads.

You’ll only end up running off your next QB.

Keep drinking that Ryanaid Snapper head

3 hours ago, *Old Pappy Falcon* said:

Aaron Rodgers didn't have a "Dominant " defense that year. That's a ******* lie. Don't lie to my son!

#2 rated Defense in the league in DVOA. #2 in points allowed per drive. #2 in total points allowed per game.

15 points per game defense.

Pass D was great at getting turnovers and their strength.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/gnb/2010.htm

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/teameff/2010

Dominant.

https://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/07/sports/football/07super-bowl-packers-steelers.html

Still, Rodgers bemoaned the throws he missed Sunday. The Packers never trailed, but the victory felt far from dominating because the Steelers roared back from a 21-3 first-half deficit and had the ball trailing by just 6 points at the two-minute warning. That was when the Packers’ defense, the backbone of a season in which none of the team’s six losses came by more than 4 points, finally held off the Steelers.”

Only 1 time did their defense allow 30 in a game all year.

3 hours ago, *Old Pappy Falcon* said:

Keep drinking that Ryanaid Snapper head

They never make the SB without Rodgers getting carried in the NFCCG.

Ryan throws a pick or two and he gets run out of town.

Facts are facts. Even modern GREATS at QB have BASICALLY had to be on teams that were likewise great teams. That isn’t a cap room for QB issue. That’s a coaching and team performance issue.

In fact, Ryan was part of a historic offense and one of only 4 QBs to even make a SB with such a terrible defense.

But his HC can’t run the ball 1st down at their 22 with 4 minutes remaining, get a FG & all their timeouts to go up 11 points with 2 minutes remaining? They tied the game with under a minute left. Falcons only ran the ball...4 times after their TD in the 3rd Q.

I could be wrong on this as I recall Ryan’s cap hit was more that season than this year.

But continue...please. :tiphat:

Rings and Vandy like this

For the most part other than teams where the defense is elite like NYG, BAL, etc, you need an elite QB to win a super bowl unless someone just gets extremely hot and wins one like Flacco or Foles. Since we don't have one, my guess is we need to keep looking till we find one. I haven't been a believer in Ryan since year 3. I know his fanboys don't care but I am so ready to end the Matt Ryan experience. It's like watching paint dry or a guy who sells insurance work for a living. 

I hope we get Tua and once he fully recovers from his injury, Ryan's contract will be finally not toxic. The faster we move on, the better. 

9 hours ago, Jerz #Quinning said:

I think he doesn't like Rodgers might be the issue. I do like Rodgers but he is a shell of what he used to be athletically although the arm is still there. Rodgers was clearly mobile when he won the Super Bowls. I always have seen Big Ben as someone who could extend plays, mobile, not so much but he was a statue like Ryan was and is. Montana wasn't mobile as much as he had excellent feet and can maneuver through the pocket. 

To me, there is nothing wrong with a pocket QB, the most dominant QBs have been pocket ones thus far but they have all had some form of athleticism. Brady with his ballerina's feet. Montana had quick feet that moved like he had ants in his pants. Brees was a freak athlete in the pocket and it's no surprise he was a top tier tennis player rivaling Andy Roddick as a kid. You can see it from how he moves in the pocket laterally like a ******* natural. So you gotta be a good athlete no matter what. Very few statues win super Bowls, the one statue who did was moving his *** off in the playoffs in Flacco.

That's why he did so much better in the playoffs during his run than the season. He started moving like he wasn't a statue. It threw teams schemes off. Eli was another one who raised his athleticism up when it mattered most in the playoffs. Those guys are typically statues but when it mattered most, they were moving like they had some athletic ability when the tape said otherwise. 

If he was just like Bledsoe, he would have never beat the teams he did much less beat that fast *** 49ers team with those speedy linebackers. 

How many athletic quarterbacks going waaaaaay back to the 60s were allowed to even play quarterback or be developed in the NFL as  quarterback?   Lamar Jackson isnt something new. Whats different about Jackson is a team totally revamping its offense for Jackson and  putting him in a position to succeed.  J.C. Watts back in the late 70s was just as good as Jackson but he played in a era when they definitely wasn't gonna groom him as a quarterback...

The NFL is finally hiring offensive coordinators and head coaches who will develop the college quarterbacks in systems they excelled in at the college level...

Edited by Spts1
ChickenBiscuit likes this

3 minutes ago, Spts1 said:

How many athletic quarterbacks going waaaaaay back to the 60s were allowed to even play quarterback or be developed in the NFL as  quarterback?   Lamar Jackson isnt something new. Whats different about Jackson is a team totally revamping its offense for Jackson and  putting him in a position to succeed.  J.C. Watts back in the late 70s was just as good as Jackson but he played in a era when they definitely wasn't gonna groom him as a quarterback...

Exactly, I think it is what a lot of us hoped for when Petrino was brought here.

Top Draft Pick likes this