Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
FalconsIn2012

McGary & Speed Rush

39 minutes ago, Ovie_Lover said:

Ok? He's a rookie. 

Lane Johnson, Peters, Tyron Smith, etc. All have had double digit sacks allowed seasons. Early and middle of their career.

The guys on the other side get paid too, they're professionals too. Stop demanding perfection otherwise you're gonna make yourself to look a fool. You seem to be use to it by now though.

For me yes he is a rookie but some of his technique against multiple different rushers wasn’t good.He didn’t seem to have a handle on what and how Jordan was setting him up.Play calling in the 2nd half didn’t help him.

1 minute ago, kiwifalcon said:

For me yes he is a rookie but some of his technique against multiple different rushers wasn’t good.He didn’t seem to have a handle on what and how Jordan was setting him up.Play calling in the 2nd half didn’t help him.

He is better attacking forward.  Once he gets his hands on you it’s over.  Classic guard qualities.  Is he going to thrive washing an edge rusher out of the pocket?  I don’t see it as a strength for him

3 hours ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

He is better attacking forward.  Once he gets his hands on you it’s over.  Classic guard qualities.  Is he going to thrive washing an edge rusher out of the pocket?  I don’t see it as a strength for him

My only thing I can see with him is he loses the leverage battle going back and having another look.Once Jordan got under him and his hands on him he gets stood up.He is very stiff and didn’t recover.

Your right though for McGary to be successful he has to be first with his hands,stiffness and lack of lateral movement he’ll always have a tough time with faster edge rushers.

At G having to contain in a smaller space will help but if he loses the leverage battle like he is he will struggle there aswell.

36 minutes ago, MSalmon said:

It’s “hear,” not here. Here ya go:

In Internet slang, a troll is a person who starts quarrels or upsets people on the Internet to distract and sow discord by posting inflammatory and digressive, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community (such as a newsgroup, forum, chat room, or blog) with the intent of provoking readers into displaying ...

Hit a few thousand posts before going all COC on me. And, yes, he’s a troll

I "hear" you. By your dictionary you described yourself perfectly. So You are now a post braggart? That's just history. What have you done lately, oh yeah hug MR. OUR qb has been good, not great ie championships. WE;I see him slipping and the time is near to replace him with our next, hopefully great qb.

59 minutes ago, kiwifalcon said:

Funny how we forget he shut Cam down the first time.

2 hours ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

I mean, McGary has allowed the most sacks in the NFL at 11.  He also cost our 3rd round pick

I wasn't a fan of the pick at the time but show me a rookie starting tackle that isn't struggling right now? History shows us that rookie linemen by and large struggle their first year in the league.

Lindstrom and McGary were always picks for the long-term, which is ironic given that they might just contribute to TD and DQ losing their jobs.

I wanted Ed Oliver all the way - see he picked up 2 sacks last night.

He will be fine once we get a capable OL coach... heck what OL has elevated his game since being drafted?? we are not developing them.. Jake has his dad.. but who else has a HOF Dad???

Also Kotter scheme does not help him.. 

Just Relax and wait for the next GM and Coach to develop him.. we will have a good OL next year..

5 hours ago, Flying Falcon said:

Rookie, Snookie.  We spent a 1st on the dude. Now we need to spend something else cause he needs help? Bruh, at this rate, let's just draft OL in every round. Forget about anything else.

we arent spending anything else because he needs help, we already drafted a RG before him in case you guys forgot. The LG spot will be fixed and maybe a developmental LT

26 minutes ago, kiwifalcon said:

Haven’t forgotten that mate all I’ve said is he struggled mightily this time out.Play calling in the 2nd half didn’t help him either.

One game doesnt mean move him to guard. That is my entire argument so unless you disagree idk why you replied to me.

6 hours ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

Because we still don’t have a RT unless it’s Gono

• Cut Mack, Carpenter and Sombrero for $11.8M in cap relief
  • Move Lindstrom to OC
  • Move Jaymon to the left side. Of the bench
  • Move McGary to RG
  • Move Bloodline to RT
  • Draft Thomas for LT
  • Sign a free agent LG
  • Sign a back up swing tackle

6 hours ago, Flying Falcon said:

Pretty sure the baby boomers "WORKED" for that Medicare and Soc. Security and didnt come into this world expecting something to be given to them for nothing.

I’m pretty sure no one comes into the world expecting anything. Most infants are unable to be questioned about such things so I’m not sure where you guys are getting this info. 

47 minutes ago, Ovie_Lover said:

One game doesnt mean move him to guard. That is my entire argument so unless you disagree idk why you replied to me.

It’s not one game.  I quoted a post I made from April saying move him to Guard.  Every single one of his strengths are great at Guard...and his weaknesses aren’t as important at Guard cause he isn’t on an island

37 minutes ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

It’s not one game.  I quoted a post I made from April saying move him to Guard.  Every single one of his strengths are great at Guard...and his weaknesses aren’t as important at Guard cause he isn’t on an island

Go away. 

7 hours ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

This is a very well respected scouting report.  Does it scream OT or OG?  And say what you want, this analysis appears spot on

ANALYST'S REPORTS

Solak

Crabbs

Ledyard

Marino

Pass Sets - Clunky, shows difficulty when trying to hinge and open his hips to greet rushers. Labors significantly in vertical pass sets and gets challenges quickly by speed off the edge. He'll over-set in short sets and provide an inside crease. 

Length/Extension - Has adequate length but his reach and wingspan does show up when trying to block off the edge or when tested with burst in lateral situations. Doesn't play with a lot of grip strength when he's strung out into the numbers. 

Balance - Needs to harness his feet and ensure he doesn't stop foot drive when he's facing first contact. He'll lean into blocks with too much frequency and can be push/pulled out of position. Lets his base narrow with too much frequency and spins off framed blocks. 

Hand Technique - Hands are irregular with their strike timing, placement and ability to sink into a fit. Will miss opportunities to sink in a hook hand and turn out defenders out of gaps for effective wall off. His punch, when hitting flush, is loaded with power thanks to shorter levers. 

Power at POA - When he's encouraged to play forward, look out. Much more natural when firing forward out of his stance and immediately transitioning power through his hips and into the bodies of defensive lineman. Can be a bull in power schemes running off his hip. 

Football IQ - A three and a half year starter who should be much more advanced in the technical portions of his game than he currently is. Sloppy, taking poor angles in space and is pretty high variance with hand timing, placement and accuracy. 

Functional Athleticism - Awkward. Doesn't show a lot of natural foot speed and moves top-heavy when he's on the hoof. He's better when he's moving forward than when he's in his pass sets or looking to pull around the set and get out in front of plays. 

Anchor Ability - His ability to swallow up bull rushes and stacked blocks is great when he's taking guys head on. His natural strength provides him with a good recovery window to slow momentum and stuff up the initial charge. 

Flexibility - He's pretty stiff through the hips and the lower half. Does not show a lot of reach with his pass set to gain ground and instead is forced to fold at the waist and open himself to the sideline. Pad level pops straight up in his sets. 

Competitive Toughness - For all his warts, the guy battles. He does well to make the absolute most of himself as a product right now and plays extremely hard. Like his functional strength to be persistent, even after he slips off of the block. 

PROSPECT COMPARISON - Matt Slauson

BEST TRAIT - Functional Strength

WORST TRAIT - Football IQ

BEST FILM - Utah (2018)

WORST FILM - Auburn (2018)

RED FLAGS - None

Kaleb McGary is a power player who does well despite some leverage issues to dictate play at the line of scrimmage. His projection to the next level is still complicated, however. McGary doesn't show adequate foot speed, struggles with pad level and is inconsistent with how well he frames his blocks in set up situations. McGary will need notable protection in order to be a starting tackle at the NFL level. Rather, McGary will be a work in progress with his technique. 

@thanat0s You pointed this out to me before and I scoffed at it. But I'm starting to think you were right. Maybe he would be better at guard. Get him out of open space, allow him to focus on run blocking without relying on him doing things he's uncomfortable with?

I thought he might've been too lanky, which I think would still probably be true in the ZBS (could be wrong) but you fr might've been right.

This is another issue we don’t know what we are upfront.We want to have nasty players but run a outside zone scheme and have outside zone lead back we are mismatched.

Now wheather this is what the coach wanted to have that mixed identity again for me it’s more poor decision making with regards to scheme vs players.

Then uses the line putting players in there best position to succeed it’s just a mishmash.

Unfortunately this mindset is phased across the whole team hence why we are so inconsistent.