Pro Football Focus: Is Matt Ryan Finally Declining?

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Lol when you only look at stats but don't understand football enough to... Ahh whatever

lol is this a serious reply?  I hope not. Jemarcus Russell could throw it 70 from his knees, how much good did that do him?  Kyle Boller.  Jeff George.  The list goes on and on.  Almost like ther

You know who could throw it a mile? Kyle Boller, Jamarcus Russell, Jay Cutler, and Jeff George. Just to name a few. Arm strength isn’t everything. It isn’t even half of what a QB needs. 

6 minutes ago, MoFalconsFan56 said:

No, put him in SF and he’d slay. It’s almost like we’d be doing Matt a favor by trading him to a contender at this point tho. We’ve treated him so poorly (terrible o lines and new OC’s when the wind blows) and he was never even embraced by like 40% of the fans. 

He deserves better....so trade him and JJ and let’s rebuild this thing

5 hours ago, vel said:

Lol when you only look at stats but don't understand football enough to... Ahh whatever

They call out scheme and say they don't understand why we don't run more quick stuff, they aren't a big fan of Dirk either.  I actually think Steve and Sam do a pretty good job week to week, don't always agree with everything they say but I wouldn't say they don't understand football.  

28 minutes ago, Rings said:

They call out scheme and say they don't understand why we don't run more quick stuff, they aren't a big fan of Dirk either.  I actually think Steve and Sam do a pretty good job week to week, don't always agree with everything they say but I wouldn't say they don't understand football.  

If that is the case it is a very click bait title and dishonest at best. Considering Matt has had great numbers over a number of different schemes. He has had great numbers in bad years. So anyone who watches the game knows that stats dont tell the whole story, so why after a game where he could get no protection are you making this article ? pretty ****** imo.

2 hours ago, athell said:

I think you are really pushing this decline narrative hard, and I'm not entirely sure why.

If this is declining, then I don't even know...

Nearly 70% comp %

Nearly 5,000 yards passing

35TD/7INT

108.1 QBR

Fact is, statistically last year was his second best year of his long career.  Maybe they should stop ******* around and get the running game going and pair him with an actual NFL defense so he doesn't have to play superman and drop back 40 times a game?

It’s natural for QBs to decline with age. Every QB starts to decline sooner or later. This becomes more prominent in their 30’s. Not sure what the controversy is by saying that it’s going to happen and that we need to be prepared for it.  

The issue with this board is that people constantly compare Ryan to NFL legends. When referencing Ryan’s ability to play late in his career, people point to Brady/Brees. When referencing Ryan’s football acumen late in his career, people point to Peyton. I absolutely love Ryan but all those players are the exception to the rule. They are also easily in the top 5 QBs to ever play. They are the outliers. 

Stats only show so much. What they don’t show is the reaction speed, arm strength, ball trajectory, etc. And that’s not even mention game plans based on scores and scheme. If we’re looking purely at stats. As of right now Ryan is projected to have.

4401 yards  

27 TDS

15 Ints 

That’s a significant decline from last year. Compliment that with what a few people are seeing and that is alarming.

No one is saying to get rid of Ryan now. Quite the opposite, we need him. Drafting a successor for Ryan isn’t a bad idea. Schaub is who he is and for the same amount of money we can get someone Ryan can groom to take over when his time comes. I personally don’t see Ryan playing past 37. 

26 minutes ago, SPITFIRE said:

If that is the case it is a very click bait title and dishonest at best. Considering Matt has had great numbers over a number of different schemes. He has had great numbers in bad years. So anyone who watches the game knows that stats dont tell the whole story, so why after a game where he could get no protection are you making this article ? pretty ****** imo.

It's a snippet from their podcast / live feed.  I think it is a very dumb title tbh for what they discuss.  They even say in there that they don't think he is on the decline, but they do discuss that when he does hit that age barrier he may be one that falls off a cliff similar to peyton.

15 minutes ago, Jpg428gggg said:

If pff wrote it, this means Ryan will be mvp next year. That site is always wrong.

They had said that Vic's 2016 was a fluke year and wasn't sustainable while 90% of this fan base thought he was the best pass rusher in the league because of one stat...but then people say they don't know football because they only look at stats...funny how that works.  Their player grades don't mean anything to me, but I like the analytical views myself as I find advanced stats interesting as they normally tell a better story than what basic stats do.  I think PFF get's a bad wrap because people disagree with the grades for one reason or another, but they do a lot of good stuff past that which is why I like them. 

When I look up stats I use a lot of different sources for stuff, PFF Elite Stats, Sharp Football, Pro Football Reference, Football Outsiders, Sportrac, etc.  I get that stats don't tell the entire story, but it keeps me grounded when I watch games instead of where I think a lot of people put the homer glasses on and let emotion and recency bias play into their takes.  I will watch the games, form my own opinion and then see if the stats back it up. ie Dirk's 1st down calls last week driving me crazy, turns out every stat I could find proved my eyes were correct.

20 minutes ago, Rings said:

They had said that Vic's 2016 was a fluke year and wasn't sustainable while 90% of this fan base thought he was the best pass rusher in the league because of one stat...but then people say they don't know football because they only look at stats...funny how that works.  Their player grades don't mean anything to me, but I like the analytical views myself as I find advanced stats interesting as they normally tell a better story than what basic stats do.  I think PFF get's a bad wrap because people disagree with the grades for one reason or another, but they do a lot of good stuff past that which is why I like them. 

When I look up stats I use a lot of different sources for stuff, PFF Elite Stats, Sharp Football, Pro Football Reference, Football Outsiders, Sportrac, etc.  I get that stats don't tell the entire story, but it keeps me grounded when I watch games instead of where I think a lot of people put the homer glasses on and let emotion and recency bias play into their takes.  I will watch the games, form my own opinion and then see if the stats back it up. ie Dirk's 1st down calls last week driving me crazy, turns out every stat I could find proved my eyes were correct.

I hear what you are saying, but this feels like an article begging for clicks. I don’t know how anyone can determine Ryan is declining after watching that debacle. Ryan is playing hurt and was under pressure all game. We had no running game and we kept asking him to take 7 step drops. Even Peyton in his prime would have struggled under those conditions.

It is like what I always say “QB’s get too much credit and too much blame” You can’t win a MVP award without your teammates playing well around you. On the flip side, your teammates can also make you look really bad as well. Add in an offensive coaching staff that is struggling and it is not pretty.

26 minutes ago, Rings said:

I bring this up all the time. The brilliant football minds of TATF dog piled me for suggesting Vic’s play wasn’t sustainable in 2016 and everyone insisted PFF is a farce that doesn’t know ****.

and now look, he’s worthless. Don’t give into the hive mind, ever. Use your eyes and think for yourself. 

43 minutes ago, Sidecar Falcon said:

It’s natural for QBs to decline with age. Every QB starts to decline sooner or later. This becomes more prominent in their 30’s. Not sure what the controversy is by saying that it’s going to happen and that we need to be prepared for it.  

The issue with this board is that people constantly compare Ryan to NFL legends. When referencing Ryan’s ability to play late in his career, people point to Brady/Brees. When referencing Ryan’s football acumen late in his career, people point to Peyton. I absolutely love Ryan but all those players are the exception to the rule. They are also easily in the top 5 QBs to ever play. They are the outliers. 

Stats only show so much. What they don’t show is the reaction speed, arm strength, ball trajectory, etc. And that’s not even mention game plans based on scores and scheme. If we’re looking purely at stats. As of right now Ryan is projected to have.

4401 yards  

27 TDS

15 Ints 

That’s a significant decline from last year. Compliment that with what a few people are seeing and that is alarming.

No one is saying to get rid of Ryan now. Quite the opposite, we need him. Drafting a successor for Ryan isn’t a bad idea. Schaub is who he is and for the same amount of money we can get someone Ryan can groom to take over when his time comes. I personally don’t see Ryan playing past 37. 

I say this all the time: if you’re comparing Ryan to other QBs, it should be Rivers, Romo and Eli. Not Peyton or Brady. Those first three QBs I named are all very good but TATF will jump down your throat for saying they’re equal to Ryan because they too fall victim to ESPN narratives. Romo and Rivers are all very efficient, top-shelf QBs but because they don’t have rings, people **** on them.

Ryan is not Brady. And no, I don’t give a **** about his all-time yardage stats, if this was about yards then Stafford would be a top 5 QB in this league .

2 hours ago, athell said:

The DK pass/run ratio is so jacked...69% Pass vs 31% run lol...insane.

Capture.jpg

It’s so unimaginably bad...it was the concern when they hired him.  But I honestly think half the line is meant for outside zone while the OG’s are strictly inside zone and lack the athleticism to reach second level blocks on outside zone.  Just a mess

The funny part is our last 3 games the ratio drops from 69% to 62%.  We were 2 and 1 in those games.  The one loss we passed 76% of the time.  Coincidence?

15 minutes ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

It’s so unimaginably bad...it was the concern when they hired him.  But I honestly think half the line is meant for outside zone while the OG’s are strictly inside zone and lack the athleticism to reach second level blocks on outside zone.  Just a mess

The funny part is our last 3 games the ratio drops from 69% to 62%.  We were 2 and 1 in those games.  The one loss we passed 76% of the time.  Coincidence?

No more perma shotgun and 5-7 step drop nonsense.

Give me under C dedicated run game/PA looks w/ outside zone again.

We saw enough growth from Sark year 2. Should’ve or could’ve just addressed the OL enough; never signed the miscast Carp, and got better at the details of outside zone like Kyle was a stickler for. Year 3 Sark over this nonsense.

Quinn has to go. Forcing Dirk and Mularkey together has gone terribly wrong. On top of that, what’s even more egregious is the failure of the defense in almost every game sans-Eagles and 1st couple weeks post-Bye.

It really took them 8 games to realize the secondary was that bad? Ulbrich should’ve been groomed to playcall sooner. Dan tried to do too much going 3-4 and moving on from Sark.

34 minutes ago, Ergo Proxy said:

No more perma shotgun and 5-7 step drop nonsense.

Give me under C dedicated run game/PA looks w/ outside zone again.

We saw enough growth from Sark year 2. Should’ve or could’ve just addressed the OL enough; never signed the miscast Carp, and got better at the details of outside zone like Kyle was a stickler for. Year 3 Sark over this nonsense.

Quinn has to go. Forcing Dirk and Mularkey together has gone terribly wrong. On top of that, what’s even more egregious is the failure of the defense in almost every game sans-Eagles and 1st couple weeks post-Bye.

It really took them 8 games to realize the secondary was that bad? Ulbrich should’ve been groomed to playcall sooner. Dan tried to do too much going 3-4 and moving on from Sark.

When Lindstrom returns, I want Wes to start at the other Guard spot.  He is athletic enough for outside zone.

2 hours ago, Sidecar Falcon said:

4401 yards  

27 TDS

15 Ints 

You brought up last year, which is why I brought up last year.  Also his projections for this year will of course be off since he missed time and our schemes have been awful.  Hoop has missed time.  Free has missed time.  OL is again subpar.  Traded Sanu.

Also you don't know Ryan also won't be an exception to the rule other than some supposed drop off you think you are seeing, which again, I do not agree.  There is no need for alarm imo.  Ryan doesn't have to be a top 5 all time QB to continue playing at a high level into his late 30s.

2 hours ago, ChickenBiscuit said:

I say this all the time: if you’re comparing Ryan to other QBs, it should be Rivers, Romo and Eli. Not Peyton or Brady. Those first three QBs I named are all very good but TATF will jump down your throat for saying they’re equal to Ryan because they too fall victim to ESPN narratives. Romo and Rivers are all very efficient, top-shelf QBs but because they don’t have rings, people **** on them.

Ryan is not Brady. And no, I don’t give a **** about his all-time yardage stats, if this was about yards then Stafford would be a top 5 QB in this league .

No one should be comparing Ryan to Brady or Peyton or Brees or any of the all time greats tbf.  I certainly have not.

Though you can't really compare Rivers and Romo to Ryan because Ryan wins in the playoffs.

I feel like most people that dismissed this video simply saw the title and only know PFF for their grades and didn't actually watch it.  I actually liked most the content.  They even think it's mostly bad scheme and too long developing plays behind a bad offensive line and not Ryan, that was just the question/topic they were discussing.