Makaveli96

Pro Football Focus: Is Matt Ryan Finally Declining?

155 posts in this topic

No! Our Coaching is not only declining,, They have fallen off a cliff... I'm sure that the Coaches want to blame it on some player,, But that is hog wash.  If we don't get the right Coaches in here on both sides of the ball,, This team will be trash until then. Thank you very much ...:tiphat:

2 of Winston's touchdowns were literally the ball bouncing their way. That big seam TD to Godwin was just crazy placement. Jones should have had a PD there. Then the play where Kazee drilled him in the endzone would have been incomplete if Kazee didn't hit him. Kazee knocked the ball right to him. 

Halcon-1, Drew4719, Nino11 and 3 others like this

2 hours ago, dodge_birds_fan said:

2 of Winston's touchdowns were literally the ball bouncing their way. That big seam TD to Godwin was just crazy placement. Jones should have had a PD there. Then the play where Kazee drilled him in the endzone would have been incomplete if Kazee didn't hit him. Kazee knocked the ball right to him. 

Yep, and the other being a trick play.

Big_Dog likes this

1 minute ago, Spts1 said:

Patrick Mahomes throws 65 yards on his knees ( true story).  Ryan can't throw 65 yards with a full windup and the wind blowing in the same direction...:(

lol is this a serious reply?  I hope not.

Jemarcus Russell could throw it 70 from his knees, how much good did that do him?  Kyle Boller.  Jeff George.  The list goes on and on.  Almost like there is more to playing QB than arm strength...hrmmm...also when QB's start playing from their knees get back to me.

16 minutes ago, Spts1 said:

Patrick Mahomes throws 65 yards on his knees ( true story).  Ryan can't throw 65 yards with a full windup and the wind blowing in the same direction...:(

You know who could throw it a mile? Kyle Boller, Jamarcus Russell, Jay Cutler, and Jeff George. Just to name a few. Arm strength isn’t everything. It isn’t even half of what a QB needs. 

athell, Schwarzwald, Vandy and 8 others like this

A lot of what they were saying is things instated last year about Ryan. It very subtle declines, and he won’t age well in a few years. He’ll still be good enough to win games for us for the next 2-3 years. Beyond that, only time will tell. I’m hoping for the best but given the age range in which QBs decline, I would be weary of not having a viable successor to Ryan. 

That being said I believe that PFF is understating the effect the offensive line, running game, and coaching have on Ryan. Ryan needs to be protected and that has definitely not happened this season. It’s a miracle that he has made it this long without some sort of bad injury. This is a testament to Ryan’s legacy of being tough as nails. 

Big_Dog, VTCrunkler and PokerSteve like this

16 minutes ago, Sidecar Falcon said:

A lot of what they were saying is things instated last year about Ryan. It very subtle declines, and he won’t age well in a few years. He’ll still be good enough to win games for us for the next 2-3 years. Beyond that, only time will tell. I’m hoping for the best but given the age range in which QBs decline, I would be weary of not having a viable successor to Ryan. 

That being said I believe that PFF is understating the effect the offensive line, running game, and coaching have on Ryan. Ryan needs to be protected and that has definitely not happened this season. It’s a miracle that he has made it this long without some sort of bad injury. This is a testament to Ryan’s legacy of being tough as nails. 

I think you are really pushing this decline narrative hard, and I'm not entirely sure why.

If this is declining, then I don't even know...

Nearly 70% comp %

Nearly 5,000 yards passing

35TD/7INT

108.1 QBR

Fact is, statistically last year was his second best year of his long career.  Maybe they should stop ******* around and get the running game going and pair him with an actual NFL defense so he doesn't have to play superman and drop back 40 times a game?

Matt did not have a great game yesterday.

He was hurried alot but he but some (not all) of that is on him as he did a poor job of identifying the blitzers...especially early in the game he also took a couple sacks that he should not have (where he had time to get rid of the ball).

He also missed a wide wide open Gage on the first drive that should have been a TD and not a FG.....he locked into Julio .

There were several other plays where it looked like he mucked up.

But every player....no matter how good is going to have a few stinkers in the season. .....he is still my QB though!

Flying Falcon and athell like this

47 minutes ago, Spts1 said:

I remember watching prime Montana. As a 14 year old, I threw the ball with more zip! He would seemingly just float it up to an empty place in the field and sure enough one of his guys would flash across the screen and speed off with it. 

Does it help to have a rocket attached to your shoulder? Maybe. Ask Jay Schrader how many of those 70 mph screen passes he completed. Guy was hilarious to watch. Absolutely no touch whatsoever. Balls were bouncing off face masks, helmets, shoulder pads. 

6 minutes ago, Emmitt said:

I remember watching prime Montana. As a 14 year old, I threw the ball with more zip! He would seemingly just float it up to an empty place in the field and sure enough one of his guys would flash across the screen and speed off with it. 

Does it help to have a rocket attached to your shoulder? Maybe. Ask Jay Schrader how many of those 70 mph screen passes he completed. Guy was hilarious to watch. Absolutely no touch whatsoever. Balls were bouncing off face masks, helmets, shoulder pads. 

Must be the name.  Jay Cutler same stuff.  Million dollar arm, 10 cent brain.

Emmitt likes this

1 hour ago, athell said:

lol is this a serious reply?  I hope not.

Jemarcus Russell could throw it 70 from his knees, how much good did that do him?  Kyle Boller.  Jeff George.  The list goes on and on.  Almost like there is more to playing QB than arm strength...hrmmm...also when QB's start playing from their knees get back to me.

He was ‘dead’ serious, LOL.

12 minutes ago, Halcon-1 said:

Ryan aint declining. The offensive scheme or playcalling or whatever is anemic. I think the game has passed DK by. 

I liked the DK hire, but I have to agree with you at this point.

athell and Halcon-1 like this

11 minutes ago, octoslash said:

I liked the DK hire, but I have to agree with you at this point.

Initially, I did, too. I mean, we did get to the NFCCG in 2013 (2012 season) with him as OC and Ryan was top five in MVP voting. We were a step away from the SB that season.

Someone mentioned earlier that Ryan wanted DK. I forgot about this. Funny thing is, when Kyle was hired here and installed his system, it was rumored that Ryan did not like or feel comfortable with the offense. . .  just a rumor I heard off this board.

4 hours ago, vel said:

Lol when you only look at stats but don't understand football enough to... Ahh whatever

I mean, even stats tell a different story.  I agree he hasn’t been on an MVP level, but after the Panthers game here is where our passing game stood:

3hjq7h.jpg

1 minute ago, dodge_birds_fan said:

Dang I forgot about vea. I mean the defense wasn't great, but Tampa had a ton of luck

The defense was sabotaged again with Quinn's Scheme. Winston will run, but he's not fast. When we went into Man Coverage, Arians knee that we kept dropping Debo into coverage. We could have played Man, and had Debo spy Winston. It's not in our best interest to give these big receivers time to get open. Quinn never out coaches anyone. His players outplays their opponents.