Jake Matthews is a LG. We need Andrew Thomas in the 1st

lju713

We need to address both LOS. Based on who is available, I would be willing to draft Andrew Thomas with the 1st pick bit I’m still leaning DL though in the 1st. If we don’t we need to use our 2nd on a OL. This draft looks to be very strong on the OL. Solomon Kindley and Trey Smith are both excellent guard prospects. 

Edited by rbrick28

44 minutes ago, lju713 said:

Over paid Jake to be our LT, but I think he could resurrect his career at G. Andrew Thomas is the best LT in the this class. Matt needs to be protected better and we need to open up lanes for the RB. Thomas can do both.

no, you do realize LG sucks so it makes it more difficult on the left tackle

53 minutes ago, lju713 said:

Over paid Jake to be our LT, but I think he could resurrect his career at G. Andrew Thomas is the best LT in the this class. Matt needs to be protected better and we need to open up lanes for the RB. Thomas can do both.

Yep, been sayin' this all year.

55 minutes ago, lju713 said:

So you want to replace Matthews who prior to today has allowed 18 pressures but your good with McGary who has 25 and Carpenter allowing 27 at left guard?

1 minute ago, Rings said:

So you want to replace Matthews who prior to today has allowed 18 pressures but your good with McGary who has 25 and Carpenter allowing 27 at left guard?

Matthews doesn't need to be all-pro, he just needs to be starting caliber which he totally is..the idea that he isn't just because Shaq Barrett (who is having an all-pro season) worked him is ridiculous. He's the 2nd best guy on our OL and he isn't anywhere near as bad as Carpenter or McGary.

Matthews is not a bad LT by any stretch, so we can certainly go forward with him at his current spot and not suffer like many teams do with their LTs. Having said that, I’m a BPA draft guy, and Thomas is as elite a LT prospect as you’ll find. If he happens to fall to us, I’m all for drafting him and moving Jake to either RT or inside. 

Of course, it’s highly unlikely he gets past 2-3, top five at worst, and we sit at around 7 now. That means a guy like Derrick Brown is much more likely to be our pick. 

2 hours ago, ATLSlobberKnockers said:

I'm tired of.drafting DL in the first.and it being trash.

Agreed. Literally every year we all sit and read, and watch the experts tell us that this guy or that is an elite pass rusher, and within a season, 3/4 of them barely impact a game, much less become stars. 

I’m much more interested in DT prospects who are known for shutting down the running lanes in the gut of the lines. I’ll take that run stopping production and let the other teams have the next great thing. 

50 minutes ago, thanat0s said:

Agreed. Literally every year we all sit and read, and watch the experts tell us that this guy or that is an elite pass rusher, and within a season, 3/4 of them barely impact a game, much less become stars. 

I’m much more interested in DT prospects who are known for shutting down the running lanes in the gut of the lines. I’ll take that run stopping production and let the other teams have the next great thing. 

With all due respect I would hate the idea of taking a 1-Tech in the first round with how high our pick will likely be.

Rushing Defensive DVOA - 11th
Passing Defensive DVOA - 27th

1)  The best part of our defense is against the run, if we have a top ten pick I think it would be a wasted pick with all the holes we have on this team and limited money to spend in free agency. 
2) You shouldn't take a run stuffing, 2 down DT at the beginning of the first round.  You can normally get them cheap in FA or in later rounds of the draft since they are so one dimensional. 

If Gettleman hadn't taken Lawrence last year I could see them taking take Derrick Brown with the second overall pick because he is trying to build a team from 1990.

4 hours ago, JetJones11 said:

No more O line in the first ... at least not now ... we need a MOBILE QB didn’t say scrambling but mobile qbs make average o line play look better 

Or you can just run an offense that can keep pass rush off balance not hard but alas try telling that to our OC.

1 hour ago, Rings said:

With all due respect I would hate the idea of taking a 1-Tech in the first round with how high our pick will likely be.

Rushing Defensive DVOA - 11th
Passing Defensive DVOA - 27th

1)  The best part of our defense is against the run, if we have a top ten pick I think it would be a wasted pick with all the holes we have on this team and limited money to spend in free agency. 
2) You shouldn't take a run stuffing, 2 down DT at the beginning of the first round.  You can normally get them cheap in FA or in later rounds of the draft since they are so one dimensional. 

If Gettleman hadn't taken Lawrence last year I could see them taking take Derrick Brown with the second overall pick because he is trying to build a team from 1990.

Brown’s more than a 2 down guy, but I would much rather go with OT, DE or CB 1st and a big DT with either of the 2nd picks or even early 3. 

Just now, WestGAFalcon said:

Brown’s more than a 2 down guy, but I would much rather go with OT, DE or CB 1st and a big DT with either of the 2nd picks or even early 3. 

Fair, I feel a lot will also depend what defense we are going to be running next year as well and what personnel we will need to make it work if it is that different.  I could deal with a big DT with NE's 2nd or ours in the third.

7 hours ago, lju713 said:

Switching from offensive tackle to offensive guard???

That is difficult my man.