PeytonMannings Forehead

xs and os
Matt Ryan Is Starting To Look Comfortable Again (All-22 Gifs)

25 posts in this topic

Been looking back through some All-22 just trying to glean a little more info on our recent uptick, and this jumped out offensively: Matt is really starting to look comfortable again.  First two quarters of the season he was really pressing, making uncharacteristic errors, forcing passes.  He hasn't completely cleaned up the forced passes, but he's starting to look really comfortable back there again.  I can tell by how smoothly he's working through his progressions.

Here's a play from the second drive of the game.  We're coming off a negative 1st down run, so Dirk dials up something to get a little yardage back.  We motion to a 3x1 set to the field.  Julio to the top of the screen runs a drag with a sight adjust.  If it's man coverage he's gonna keep running, if it's zone, he's gonna find a hole to sit down in. 

To the three receiver side, we've got a 9 route, a flat, and a middle hook by the tight end. The Panthers are in what looks like a Cover-2 with both corners sinking.  Which is what you might call if you think an offense is trying to go over the top instead of getting a little yardage back.  The safety is over the top on the 9 route.  Their flat player can play the flat route if it's thrown and the middle linebacker is in perfect position to take away the hook by the tight end.  He's almost playing it like 3-Read in quarters he's so tight on that route.

But look how fast Matt works from 1, to 2, to 3, all the way back to 5.  This is not a huge play, but this is playing professional quarterback at the highest level.  Quarterbacks do not routinely work from 1-5 in a progression.  Most guys get stuck on 1 or 2, and hold the ball forever.  Here the ball is out in 2.8 seconds.  That's incredible.  And that is an 8 yard gain that sets up a an easy 3rd and 3 conversion.

giphy.gif

Just look at Matt's helmet.  Look how quickly he works from right to left.  At the snap, glances at the 9 route.  Safety over the top, it's not there.  Presnap motion told him it was zone.  The alignment of the corners tipped that it was probably some type of quarters or cover-2.  Movement of the safetys confirm.  

Read #1 - 9 route.  Not there with the safety over the top.  

Read #2 - Flat route is not really part of the progression vs. this coverage.  He wasn't really going there with that flat corner out there.  He probably eliminated that right at the snap with the safety's movement.

Read #3 - middle hook by the tight end.  Kuechly is all over it.  

Read #4 - He doesn't quite like Julio on that little sit route between the two defenders who're waiting to break on it, so all the way back to...

Read #5 -  the back out of the backfield.  The weak backer looking to squeeze Julio on that drag/sit told him the back would have space to that side.  Beautiful stuff.

giphy.gif

This last one I just had to throw in, focusing on the feet.  This is where quarterback is played physically.  The feet are the literal foundation of everything. You gotta have good feet.  You gotta have some nimbleness, even if you’re a pocket QB.  Bill Walsh used to say that he could tell how well a quarterback played a game by only looking at his feet.  He could tell if a throw was accurate, if he was in rhythm, etc.  Everything in his offense was synched up with the quarterback's steps.

Bill Walsh would be salivating.  Balls of the feet.  Short, quick steps through the progression.  Step and throw... REX RYAN stay outta my thread.  Weirdo.    

giphy.gif

To Ryan’s credit, despite overall choppiness from the offense, he was leading the NFL in a bunch of categories before the injury.  I think he threw for over 300 yards every single game.  

But last week he did seem to be quicker in going through his  progressions.  Should be an interesting rest of the year.  We have seen a lot more West Coast offense principles in play the last two weeks… I’ll sign up for more of that please

1 minute ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

To Ryan’s credit, despite overall choppiness from the offense, he was leading the NFL in a bunch of categories before the injury.  I think he threw for over 300 yards every single game.  

But last week he did seem to be quicker in going through his  progressions.  Should be an interesting rest of the year.  We have seen a lot more West Coast offense principles in play the last two weeks… I’ll sign up for more of that please

This.

If we could prove to run the ball and play defense...SB or bust next year. Don’t @ me :ninja: 

Ryan's been a victim of so many OC and scheme changes over his career he's constantly had to get his footing (pun intended) every other season. Nice to see him in his comfort zone again

Edited by likeriver

2 hours ago, Ergo Proxy said:

I love when people say Ryan has so much talent around him he can’t fail.  

• 2008: projected as the worst roster in football

• 2016: offense was considered average with few pieces outside of Julio.  Sanu called over priced.  WTF is a Gabriel

But all of a sudden guys like Jenkins, Douglass, Roddy, Sanu, Hooper, Gage, Ridley & Gabriel become players quickly with Ryan

Does it ever occur to people that Ryan makes those around him better than they otherwise would be?  Coaches included

24 minutes ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

I love when people say Ryan has so much talent around him he can’t fail.  

• 2008: projected as the worst roster in football

• 2016: offense was considered average with few pieces outside of a Julio.  Sandy called over priced.  WTF is a Gabriel

But all of a sudden guys like Jenkins, Douglass, Roddy, Sanu, Hooper, Gage, Ridley & Gabriel become players quickly with Ryan

Does it ever occur to people that Ryan makes those around him better than they otherwise would be?  Coaches included

Exactly.

Comments on the PFN article on Matt being ridiculously good from 2016-2018 on Reddit here-

“Matt Ryan just went for 4,924 yards (more than Rodgers) for 35 TDs (More than Rodgers) and 7 INTs (more than Rodgers, still amazing considering the passing attempts) and 7.71 ANY/A (6th in league) compared to Rodgers 6.96 (10th). Ryan was 4th in rating, Rodgers 13th. 

You have to start looking through a different scope than just stats.

Says the guy that tried proving Rodgers played better than Ryan by posting inferior stats...

But you're right! I always judge a QB by how efficient an offense is, because at the end of the day that's all that matters. I'd rather a guy with 10 TDs all season if they have a top offense.

In 2018 the Falcons ranked 5th in scoring % and 7th in TD% per drive, the best efficiency metric.

Packers ranked 13th and 16th.

So Ryan had better stats AND led a better offense!

But wait, there's more! "Ryan's defense was terrible, he got garbage time stats!" 

In 1 score games in the 4th quarter Ryan led the league in TDs, was 2nd in Y/A, had the highest rating, and an 81.6% (1st) completion percentage.

Rodgers had MORE attempts, less yards, less TDs.

The disrespect Matt Ryan is getting these past few years is absurd. There has been no season since 2014 that Rodgers can say he performed at a top 3 level. Ryan has 2 such seasons.”

^In an argument that people are fighting against Ryan having been more productive than Rodgers since 2016...

PS:

All QBs since 2016-(including first year Sark and first year return of Koetter)

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/play-index/tiny.fcgi?id=bDcJX

oxM0huW.png

Dude is right there with RW and Brees in most metrics despite 3 OCs in 4 years...and far worse OL than Brees; RW at least has his legs and a ground game/defense.

1 hour ago, Ergo Proxy said:

Exactly.

Comments on the PFN article on Matt being ridiculously good from 2016-2018 on Reddit here-

“Matt Ryan just went for 4,924 yards (more than Rodgers) for 35 TDs (More than Rodgers) and 7 INTs (more than Rodgers, still amazing considering the passing attempts) and 7.71 ANY/A (6th in league) compared to Rodgers 6.96 (10th). Ryan was 4th in rating, Rodgers 13th. 

You have to start looking through a different scope than just stats.

Says the guy that tried proving Rodgers played better than Ryan by posting inferior stats...

But you're right! I always judge a QB by how efficient an offense is, because at the end of the day that's all that matters. I'd rather a guy with 10 TDs all season if they have a top offense.

In 2018 the Falcons ranked 5th in scoring % and 7th in TD% per drive, the best efficiency metric.

Packers ranked 13th and 16th.

So Ryan had better stats AND led a better offense!

But wait, there's more! "Ryan's defense was terrible, he got garbage time stats!" 

In 1 score games in the 4th quarter Ryan led the league in TDs, was 2nd in Y/A, had the highest rating, and an 81.6% (1st) completion percentage.

Rodgers had MORE attempts, less yards, less TDs.

The disrespect Matt Ryan is getting these past few years is absurd. There has been no season since 2014 that Rodgers can say he performed at a top 3 level. Ryan has 2 such seasons.”

^In an argument that people are fighting against Ryan having been more productive than Rodgers since 2016...

PS:

All QBs since 2016-(including first year Sark and first year return of Koetter)

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/play-index/tiny.fcgi?id=bDcJX

oxM0huW.png

Dude is right there with RW and Brees in most metrics despite 3 OCs in 4 years...and far worse OL than Brees; RW at least has his legs and a ground game/defense.

He is way ahead of Wilson in every category but TD’s

Lovers and Haters of Ryan just want to see one thing.........Tear up the dam post game conference with bad words, chop the podium up with an axe, and just say.......**** WHAT NEXT???? 

I believe haters would like him more instead of talking like Mr. Rodgers.

I believe Ryan is playing better because the defense is playing better. The defense is balling and we are 3-7. He don’t give a fukc and is just having fun. 

1 hour ago, falconfreak1 said:

I believe Ryan is playing better because the defense is playing better. The defense is balling and we are 3-7. He don’t give a fukc and is just having fun. 

We started running the ball more.   Even though the run game doesn't look great its forcing teams to stay honest and keeps the defense fresh. 

PokerSteve likes this

10 hours ago, *Old Pappy Falcon* said:

Lovers and Haters of Ryan just want to see one thing.........Tear up the dam post game conference with bad words, chop the podium up with an axe, and just say.......**** WHAT NEXT???? 

Yes. If Ryan were more polarizing, fans would call that “swagger.” Pretty lame 

Matt Ryan is a pro.  He is who he is.  He's never thrown anyone under the bus and he never whines about his environment.  Never.  

You can keep your egomaniacs (Rodgers) and your adolescent big mouths who flap their gums to hide their awful talents (Mayfield). 

I'll take Ryan's brain and personality over any of that bullsh*t the media creams their jeans over...any day of the week and twice on Sunday.  

Schwarzwald and KetzlKoatl like this

Ryan deserves way more credit than what is perceived from fans and media. The one play shown... I would break it down differently (especially the fact his feet were nowhere near set) but it was completed and not much to disagree with. I want to know why AB hasn’t laid out the bread in FA and why only Shanahan seems to be able to win with this team, even with improvements. We have quite a few players that are popular with the fans but overrated when you really watch the tape. We’re far from another SB and I hope we can deal up 4-5 spots and get Chase. That’d be a great start. 

7 hours ago, falconfreak1 said:

Ryan played well last week, but the offense has been very average since the bye.

When you score just 22 points despite having 51-61 offensive plays in Panthers territory, that’s bad

10 hours ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

Ryan played well last week, but the offense has been very average since the bye.

When you score just 22 points despite having 51-61 offensive plays in Panthers territory, that’s bad

right

15 hours ago, octoslash said:

Matt Ryan is a pro.  He is who he is.  He's never thrown anyone under the bus and he never whines about his environment.  Never.  

You can keep your egomaniacs (Rodgers) and your adolescent big mouths who flap their gums to hide their awful talents (Mayfield). 

I'll take Ryan's brain and personality over any of that bullsh*t the media creams their jeans over...any day of the week and twice on Sunday.  

Nobody ever said he wasn't a pro.  Well, in the media lol. I personally don't care for Rodgers or that Beastie boy from the sabotage video. Rodgers ain't done nothing I have never seen. It's pretty lame to me they call him the greatest qb in the league. If Marino was playing in this league, with these rules.....He would light up every team he faced......EVERY SUNDAY!

14 hours ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

The comment in the article is hilarious:

”Ryan is like the missionary position: boring but gets the job done”

TRUE

On 11/22/2019 at 3:55 PM, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

Been looking back through some All-22 just trying to glean a little more info on our recent uptick, and this jumped out offensively: Matt is really starting to look comfortable again.  First two quarters of the season he was really pressing, making uncharacteristic errors, forcing passes.  He hasn't completely cleaned up the forced passes, but he's starting to look really comfortable back there again.  I can tell by how smoothly he's working through his progressions.

Here's a play from the second drive of the game.  We're coming off a negative 1st down run, so Dirk dials up something to get a little yardage back.  We motion to a 3x1 set to the field.  Julio to the top of the screen runs a drag with a sight adjust.  If it's man coverage he's gonna keep running, if it's zone, he's gonna find a hole to sit down in. 

To the three receiver side, we've got a 9 route, a flat, and a middle hook by the tight end. The Panthers are in what looks like a Cover-2 with both corners sinking.  Which is what you might call if you think an offense is trying to go over the top instead of getting a little yardage back.  The safety is over the top on the 9 route.  Their flat player can play the flat route if it's thrown and the middle linebacker is in perfect position to take away the hook by the tight end.  He's almost playing it like 3-Read in quarters he's so tight on that route.

But look how fast Matt works from 1, to 2, to 3, all the way back to 5.  This is not a huge play, but this is playing professional quarterback at the highest level.  Quarterbacks do not routinely work from 1-5 in a progression.  Most guys get stuck on 1 or 2, and hold the ball forever.  Here the ball is out in 2.8 seconds.  That's incredible.  And that is an 8 yard gain that sets up a an easy 3rd and 3 conversion.

giphy.gif

Just look at Matt's helmet.  Look how quickly he works from right to left.  At the snap, glances at the 9 route.  Safety over the top, it's not there.  Presnap motion told him it was zone.  The alignment of the corners tipped that it was probably some type of quarters or cover-2.  Movement of the safetys confirm.  

Read #2 - Flat route is not really part of the progression vs. this coverage.  He wasn't really going there with that flat corner out there.  He probably eliminated that right at the snap with the safety's movement.

Read #4 - He doesn't quite like Julio on that little sit route between the two defenders who're waiting to break on it, so all the way back to...

Read #5 -  the back out of the backfield.  The weak backer looking to squeeze Julio on that drag/sit told him the back would have space to that side.  Beautiful stuff.

giphy.gif

This last one I just had to throw in, focusing on the feet.  This is where quarterback is played physically.  The feet are the literal foundation of everything. You gotta have good feet.  You gotta have some nimbleness, even if you’re a pocket QB.  Bill Walsh used to say that he could tell how well a quarterback played a game by only looking at his feet.  He could tell if a throw was accurate, if he was in rhythm, etc.  Everything in his offense was synched up with the quarterback's steps.

Bill Walsh would be salivating.  Balls of the feet.  Short, quick steps through the progression.  Step and throw... REX RYAN stay outta my thread.  Weirdo.    

giphy.gif

You're so technical, PMF!!! Did you used to be a coach or something at the college or professional level?

On 11/23/2019 at 9:27 AM, abcranford2 said:

We started running the ball more.   Even though the run game doesn't look great its forcing teams to stay honest and keeps the defense fresh. 

Yep. Gotta keep that balance even when the running game just barely got a pulse. That run threat keeps the D closer to the LOS so you have some extra space to throw into.

Schwarzwald likes this

On 11/22/2019 at 3:55 PM, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

That's why it would be nice if we could quit changing coaches and coordinators. I kind of wish we would have just kept Sark and Manuel. Matt Ryan said he was getting more comfortable with Sark.

On 11/23/2019 at 0:12 AM, *Old Pappy Falcon* said:

Get F****** set was pretty cool. Lol