robertap

At the end of this season, something has to give

36 posts in this topic

I think it's mostly on the players, especially the defense.

We've got a bunch of guys starting who went to a SB as rookies. The following season they made the playoffs, won a game that most people thought they'd lose, and then had a real chance to win the following week as well. Last year, the struggles could be chalked up to losing several key members of the D for large stretches of the season.

Then at the beginning of this season, it looked like everyone was gonna be back & healthy, and so I think a lot of the players who have been here for the past few seasons (Debo, Vic, Campbell) just expected to be good... because outside of the injury plagued 2018 season, the team found success in each year they had been here. Not to say guys were being lazy, but I do think there was a "we'll be fine" attitude rather than a "we still need to be busting our butts to be as good as possible" attitude.

That mentality combined with a bunch of inexperienced rookies & 2nd year players, along w/ a new FA or two, seems like a recipe for a massive let down... which is precisely what happened.

We were sorely missing leadership on that side of the ball from the players. Seems like Debo isn't that guy. Tru isn't that guy. Obviously Vic isn't that guy. Grady is becoming that guy more & more, but that seems to be something that's grown as the year's gone on. Rico has been that guy, but I think especially at the start of the season he was likely so focused on getting himself back in the swing of things after missing a year, that he wasn't able to really take on as much leadership over the rest of the guys as they needed.

So to me the lack of veteran leadership on the defensive side of the roster is the biggest factor in why we've struggled so much early on this year.

1 hour ago, k-train said:

I think it's mostly on the players, especially the defense.

We've got a bunch of guys starting who went to a SB as rookies. The following season they made the playoffs, won a game that most people thought they'd lose, and then had a real chance to win the following week as well. Last year, the struggles could be chalked up to losing several key members of the D for large stretches of the season.

Then at the beginning of this season, it looked like everyone was gonna be back & healthy, and so I think a lot of the players who have been here for the past few seasons (Debo, Vic, Campbell) just expected to be good... because outside of the injury plagued 2018 season, the team found success in each year they had been here. Not to say guys were being lazy, but I do think there was a "we'll be fine" attitude rather than a "we still need to be busting our butts to be as good as possible" attitude.

That mentality combined with a bunch of inexperienced rookies & 2nd year players, along w/ a new FA or two, seems like a recipe for a massive let down... which is precisely what happened.

We were sorely missing leadership on that side of the ball from the players. Seems like Debo isn't that guy. Tru isn't that guy. Obviously Vic isn't that guy. Grady is becoming that guy more & more, but that seems to be something that's grown as the year's gone on. Rico has been that guy, but I think especially at the start of the season he was likely so focused on getting himself back in the swing of things after missing a year, that he wasn't able to really take on as much leadership over the rest of the guys as they needed.

So to me the lack of veteran leadership on the defensive side of the roster is the biggest factor in why we've struggled so much early on this year.

But do you not think DQ is responsible, at least in part, for the complacency you speak of on defense? 

If nothing else it’s clear Quinn has obviously mishandled the coaching staff. That should be grounds to fire him right there. 

19 hours ago, Falcons Fan MVP said:

I think that good Dan Quinn gives us the best chance to win a championship. I admit bad Dan Quinn is horrible!

So now! Quinn's a two headed monster? Who knew.

7 hours ago, MAD597 said:

Well Blank cant be fired so TD still has to go

No he can't but we and others can push this virally! Maybe it'll reach his ears.

23 hours ago, Falcons Fan MVP said:

If we keep playing well I would just keep things exactly where they are. I'm tempted to say I wouldn't mind Gary Kubiak at offensive coordinator because he is good at running the ball but I don't want to keep having to change coordinators. 

Agree with you, constantly changing coordinators is not the way to go. However, if you don't have a coordinator who is equal to the talent you possess on offense, then you need to move on. Kubiak would be a great guy to move on to.

You need one who has the capability to take an elite offense and  lift an average defense to the Super Bowl. Koetter doesn't have the creativity to be able to take this super-talented offense and destroy other team's defenses. He's like a school bus driver behind the wheel of a Ferrari.

Falcons Fan MVP likes this

23 hours ago, Falcons Fan MVP said:

Maybe Julio's speech about "it's not the coaching it's the players" was correct. Thomas Dimitroff is not the problem because the talent is obviously there. 11 sacks in 2 games. Lindstrom and McGrary are solid picks if they stay healthy. Matthews and Mack are pro bowl caliber, Grady is a beast!  

Who knows what AB is thinking maybe with regards to replacing the FO is he wants a fresher set of eyes I just don’t know at this point in time.I mean I and others echoed it all off season the talents here but for some reason or another it’s just not being utilised or the players are just off.

For me something has been lost in translation and this is what AB TD and the coach have to identify and get fixed.

If the Falcons run the table go 9-7 do you fire anybody is the real question.

Either way I’m hoping the team and anyone playing in it make it as hard as **** to make these decisions.Even though we were 1-7 I was still looking for the team to fight and they seemingly have since the 2nd half of the Seattle game.

Falcons Fan MVP likes this

2 hours ago, Smiler11 said:

But do you not think DQ is responsible, at least in part, for the complacency you speak of on defense? 

Sure, to a degree. But I also know personally from 20+ years of experience managing people that you can provide all the tools they need to be successful, put them in a position to be successful, and try to teach them things they need to know to be successful, but it's ultimately up to them to take advantage of all of those things & do their job to a standard that will actually produce results.

Where I think Quinn messed up a bit was having too much faith in certain guys taking on a leadership role... particularly Debo & Beasley. It really seems like he expected those guys to become leaders & it hasn't panned out like he hoped. That's unfortunate but ok, especially w/ Grady stepping into more of a leadership role. The bigger issue to me is that Quinn didn't seem to really have a backup plan for dealing w/ a lack of leadership if those guys didn't pan out. Those young guys needed someone like Freeney in 2016, and apparently Quinn thought they were beyond it at this stage. Looks like he took off the training wheels a little too early.

I know there's a common thought that Quinn is too nice to the players & should be a hard *** to guys who seem to be under-performing. I feel like there's a very fine line to walk with that. Different people respond to things differently, so you might have someone who simply needs to be yelled at once & that's all it takes. However, you might also have someone who doesn't respond well to a bunch of yelling & is far more likely to become productive with positive reinforcement. So while I do think there are times I understand the frustration by fans of him not making changes sooner, I also understand that he's trying to send a message to these guys that he believes in them & is giving them the opportunity to get it figured out.

On 11/22/2019 at 2:51 PM, robertap said:

I do not know what the inner workings around Flowery Branch are like.  I doubt any of us really know what's going on behind closed doors at Falcons HQ.  But one thing is certain, there were some monumental mistakes made by someone over the past couple of years.  We got to 1-7 before finally figuring out that we weren't, "mysteriously," losing games, but were instead setting ourselves up for failure with poor decisions, and a lack of accountability.

Dan Quinn is the most obvious candidate.  He's the HC.  He's the one who should have had the final say as to which coaches are playing where, and holding players accountable to how they approach their jobs.  But what if his hands had been tied by someone higher up?

Thomas Dimitroff is not an X's and O's guy, he's a talent guy.  Granted, it seems like if he's paired with a coach who knows what they want, TD can get them the players that they want.  Given how he tends to work with HC's to get them what they need, I find it hard to believe that he'd be the one telling Quinn where his assistants should play, or cause problems regarding accountability.

Given Arthur Blank's history, I'm inclined to think that he could be the real issue here.  When you have an owner who likes to get down on the field during the games, who pushes players in wheelchairs onto the field, and who guarantees players a lifetime role at the organization, it's clear that he wants to be involved in every way possible.  That said, would it be a stretch to believe that Blank had some involvement as to where the assistant coaches were going to be.  Is it possible that the players saw how Blank treats his superstars and tried to make superstar plays instead of doing their jobs?

Wherever the problem is, it's about **** time that something be done about it.  If it's Quinn or TD, then we should part ways with one or both of them in the off-season.  If it's Blank, then Quinn and/or TD should call him out on it.  Their jobs are dependent on their performance, and if Blank is causing them to fail at their jobs, then they need to say something to him, or say something publicly.  If no change is made, then this cycle of failure is likely to continue.

it is Quinn and TD are the problem  The only problem with Arthur Blank have it fired these 2 people.