Spts1

1978 Atlanta Falcons trading card

33 posts in this topic

I got a beer bottle signed by Rankin Smith from Maloof's Tavern off of Memorial Drive. Manual Maloof plast from the past. Old Art Blank gotta remember the joint his 1st Home Depot was up the street across from the Dekalb County Jail in an old Tresure Island building. Back when Memorial Drive was the place and Central Dekalb (CD)  football reigned supreme, old Falcons receiver Terrance Mathis played his high school ball for Redan Raiders out of Memorial Stadium off Memorial Drive where Terrnce was the QB. 

Edited by Refried Beans

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Refried Beans said:

I got a beer bottle signed by Rankin Smith from Maloof's Tavern off of Memorial Drive. Manual Maloof plast from the past. Old Art Blank gotta remember the joint his 1st Home Depot was up the street across from the Dekalb County Jail in an old Tresure Island building. Back when Memorial Drive was the place and Central Dekalb (CD)  football reigned supreme, old Falcons receiver Terrance Mathis played his high school ball for Redan Raiders out of Memorial Stadium off Memorial Drive where Terrnce was the QB. 

Wow, never thought I would see anyone remember Central DeKalb.

When I was a kid, we lived on Memorial Drive, I played football for the Central Dekalb Lions,  65 lb league... And I bought the first record I ever bought at that very Treasure Island. It was a 45...Love Train by The O'Jays.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, falconfansince66 said:

Wow.. I used to loved seeing Bartkowski's bombs dropping into Jenkins' hands for a TD.

Or, Alfred Jackson's hands!  Remember the media calling them the two Alfreds??? 
Fun times, back then.....if you weren't really into winning!  LOL!!! 
And when I look at that trading card, those names are a real blast from the past!  Especially, Haskell Stanback!!!   :lol: 




 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, FalconJim said:

Or, Alfred Jackson's hands!  Remember the media calling them the two Alfreds??? 
Fun times, back then.....if you weren't really into winning!  LOL!!! 
And when I look at that trading card, those names are a real blast from the past!  Especially, Haskell Stanback!!!   :lol: 




 

wallace francis was fearless over the middle too

 

FalconJim and Spts1 like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Octo- I played for Central Dekalb Cardinals. Practice fields used to be back behind the Starvin Marin and the games were played over by Clarkston.  We used to play the Sandy Springs Saints and the North Atlanta Colts, Redan Red Raiders and the Stone Mountain Pirates. Great times. Had a Turtles right there on corner of Memorial Drive used to go buy Cassette Tapes. Memorial Drive was the place to be. 

Edited by Refried Beans

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Refried Beans said:

Octo- I played for Central Dekalb Cardinals. Practice fields used to be back behind the Starvin Marin and the games were played over by Clarkston.  We used to play the Sandy Springs Saints and the North Atlanta Colts, Redan Red Raiders and the Stone Mountain Pirates. Great times. Had a Turtles right there on corner of Memorial Drive used to go buy Cassette Tapes. Memorial Drive was the place to be. 

Awesome memories.  To all the other teams the Cardinals were like the big leagues.  I remember y'all had the cool NFL style uniforms, while the rest of the CD teams just pretty much had basic one-color-plus white, with the logo sticker on the helmets.  

I remember a few of our opponents....Midway Packers, Roswell Hornets (whom we thrashed 51-0 and late in the game coach switched me from RB to QB,  and I ran a 60 yard bootleg for a TD lol).  

The 65-lb division was my first ever organized football team.  I was tailback, backup qb, and linebacker on defense.

My parents were divorced, but my dad came through town one weekend when we played a home game.  I scored three TDs that day, went on to get ten total that season. 

It was as much pure glory as a ten year old kid could experience.  

I used to swipe candy at the 7-11 on Memorial, across from the original Godfathers Pizza! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Octo- I forgot all about the Roswell Hornets, I played DE and one of the hardest hits I ever took was when I got ear holed looking right at the RB and the pulling lineman cleared me out and I never even saw him. Loved CD football and just that time frame in general.  Godfathers Pizza was the bomb I wonder if they are still in business. I went to Redan and we had a Straw Hat Pizza off Redan Rd.  that was really good too. 

octoslash likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, octoslash said:

Francis in my opinion was and still is an underappreciated Falcon. 

I hated it when he retired, but he went into the ministry. Some how our Pastor at the time knew somone that knew someone etc etc and he came and preached at our church. I got him to sign the back of my bible. I'm going to see if I can find that one and post up  a picture

 

octoslash, FalconJim, Spts1 and 3 others like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Refried Beans said:

Octo- I forgot all about the Roswell Hornets, I played DE and one of the hardest hits I ever took was when I got ear holed looking right at the RB and the pulling lineman cleared me out and I never even saw him. Loved CD football and just that time frame in general.  Godfathers Pizza was the bomb I wonder if they are still in business. I went to Redan and we had a Straw Hat Pizza off Redan Rd.  that was really good too. 

I remember you could jump on Memorial, hit the Burger King at 6:30, head straight up the road about fifteen minutes and boom...park in the Blue Lot fifty yards from Atl-Fulco, and stroll in to watch the Braves get pounded.  Crowds in those days probably averaged about 8,000 lol.   

 

Refried Beans and Spts1 like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, papachaz said:

wallace francis was fearless over the middle too

 

Oh yeah, he was a good one, too!!!  Atlanta has had some great receivers over the years, and it's continuing with Julio and Calvin Ridley! 



 

papachaz likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, BendFalcon said:

Claude Humphrey had 7 interceptions that year?  And Rolland Lawrence had 7 sacks ?   Remarkable ;-)

That was the first thing that caught my eye as well! Lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/21/2019 at 4:49 PM, falconfansince66 said:

Wow.. I used to loved seeing Bartkowski's bombs dropping into Jenkins' hands for a TD.

When I was a kid...Jenkins was my idol. We used to play street football. My friend was Bart and I was Jenkins. Always going for the bomb. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One of my identical twin Sons ,, Matt , called me yesterday so pumped up.He has always been a huge Barry Sanders fan.. and has collected his cards and signatures . I found a Barry Sanders signed card and got for him a few years ago.. Well, a few months ago I found a signed Helmet by Barry Sanders that he wore in a game,, He paid up but it was still a great deal he thought ,, He called me really stocked up...to have the helmet. They were wanting like 2000. but he came down because most people here in my little town can't afford to put that kind of money in a Helmet.. My son is still single and has a awesome job.. so he was the perfect match for Barry's biggest Fan..It's signed Helmet he wore in a Plastic Box.. with the info on it.

*Old Pappy Falcon* likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/21/2019 at 6:19 PM, octoslash said:

Wow, never thought I would see anyone remember Central DeKalb.

When I was a kid, we lived on Memorial Drive, I played football for the Central Dekalb Lions,  65 lb league... And I bought the first record I ever bought at that very Treasure Island. It was a 45...Love Train by The O'Jays.

Back when the population was somewhere in the 500K range. Loved it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, octoslash said:

I remember you could jump on Memorial, hit the Burger King at 6:30, head straight up the road about fifteen minutes and boom...park in the Blue Lot fifty yards from Atl-Fulco, and stroll in to watch the Braves get pounded.  Crowds in those days probably averaged about 8,000 lol.   

 

If that was the 75-78 era I worked at AFCS then. First as an usher, then in the commissary and eventually on the ground crew. Saw a lot of Braves and Falcons games. Worked Bob Horner's first at bat, Falcons' first playoff berth in 78, many major 70K seat 70s Rock and R&B/Funk concerts. Good times.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Draftnut57 said:

One of my identical twin Sons ,, Matt , called me yesterday so pumped up.He has always been a huge Barry Sanders fan.. and has collected his cards and signatures . I found a Barry Sanders signed card and got for him a few years ago.. Well, a few months ago I found a signed Helmet by Barry Sanders that he wore in a game,, He paid up but it was still a great deal he thought ,, He called me really stocked up...to have the helmet. They were wanting like 2000. but he came down because most people here in my little town can't afford to put that kind of money in a Helmet.. My son is still single and has a awesome job.. so he was the perfect match for Barry's biggest Fan..It's signed Helmet he wore in a Plastic Box.. with the info on it.

H ow old are.your boys?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now