Falcster

Thinking Back on Former Great Falcons RBs

79 posts in this topic

My favorite run ever by a Falcon is probably the one vs KC where Turner gets a few yards & then bulldozes a LB. The LB tries to grab Turner to pull him down, but Turner just drags the 250+ lb man on his knees about 10 yards & seems to somehow accelerate while doing so (It seriously looked like what you'd expect if Turner was playing against a child). Then Turner bulldozes yet another KC defender, spins around flinging multiple defenders off of him, and proceeds to rumble another 20 yards or so.

It was beautiful & hilarious.

*Old Pappy Falcon* likes this

31 minutes ago, putnam6 said:

What 1998 team went to the Super Bowl 1980 Lost in the divisional playoffs Dunn's teams made the playoffs a couple of times. Yea I know no championship but these were decent teams that had other flews than the running game.

Turner is the only one who played on teams where they had a combined winning record over his Falcon career.

The reason for that is #2.

Also loved watching Crazy Legs Norwood. Too bad he just couldn't stay healthy.

Also wild that Antone Smith sat on the bench for something crazy like 4 years, then finally got to play & proceeded to score from like 40+ yards out almost every other time he touched the football.

2 minutes ago, Jesus said:

Turner is the only one who played on teams where they had a combined winning record over his Falcon career.

The reason for that is #2.

I seem to remember there being some stat where we were something crazy like 18-0 in games where Turner had 20 or more carries.

He'd just wear down the opposing D early & then Matt & Roddy, Julio, Gonz, etc. would finish them off.

Osiruz likes this

1 hour ago, k-train said:

I seem to remember there being some stat where we were something crazy like 18-0 in games where Turner had 20 or more carries.

He'd just wear down the opposing D early & then Matt & Roddy, Julio, Gonz, etc. would finish them off.

The best example is their first two drives together v Detroit 2008 Week 1

Drive 1
1st play Turner 9 yards
2nd play Turner 3 yards
3rd play Ryan to Jenkins 62 yards TD

Drive 2
1st play Ryan to Ovie 3 yards
2nd play Ryan to Roddy 8 yards
3rd play Turner 66 yard TD

That's as good as you can get. They worked so well together and that offense was a great place for them both to start in Atlanta. Still hard to believe they couldn't win a ring together. Football is the ultimate team sport. Working as a team always leads to wins.

Osiruz, k-train and Vandy like this

1 hour ago, skullkrusher07 said:

IMO the best was the Cain/Andrews backfield....what an absolute two headed monster that was. 

Dunn/Duckett/Norwood were a handful behind Vick.

*Old Pappy Falcon* likes this

On 11/21/2019 at 2:47 PM, Osiruz said:

Team needs another Mike Turner to carry the team. Hand off to buddy in the redzone and cash in for one of his 60 Tds. thank you for your service Mr. Turner. 

Turner should've tried to leave the Chargers earlier than he did.

Dude was 26 years old when he became the guy in Atlanta. He could've very well been a HOFer if he had became the man somewhere much sooner.

Osiruz and *Old Pappy Falcon* like this

Threads like this makes a person realize "a lot.":rolleyes:  People have their opinions, but Turner WAS NOT the best back the Falcons ever had (That was Andrews), and that 1980 team was the best TEAM the Falcons ever had!  What kept them from advancing was not snapping the ball with Too Tall Jones camping out/BBQ'ing in the backfield (exaggeration, but yeah!!)!!  Typical Falcons!!!  That team would have ripped Philly up and spit out the Raiders! 

****, I'm even biased against Riggs (IMNSHO, the second best back) because when they trot him out on TV up here in DC, his *** doesn't even mention his time in Atlanta!!! :angry:

Edit: let me leave this here:

On 11/21/2019 at 0:47 PM, Jesus said:

Michael Turner was the only one who played on a winning team.

1980 Atlanta Falcons: 12-4, first NFC West divisional title.

5 hours ago, skullkrusher07 said:

IMO the best was the Cain/Andrews backfield....what an absolute two headed monster that was. 

And a great offensive line. Mike Kenn and Jeff Van Note should ABSOLUTELY be in the Hall of Fame.

18 hours ago, Vandy said:

Dunn/Duckett/Norwood were a handful behind Vick.

Norwood & Duckett weren't actually here at the same time. Duckett was gone after the 2005 season & Norwood was drafted in 2006.

Also, Vick's final season in Atlanta was 2006. So the only time he & Norwood were together was during Jerrious's rookie year.

27 minutes ago, Roanoke Falcon said:

1980 Atlanta Falcons: 12-4, first NFC West divisional title.

He means he's the only one who had a winning record over the entire course of his time with the Falcons.

On 11/21/2019 at 0:24 PM, Falcster said:

I was thinking back through past years of the greatest Falcons RBs.   William Andrews (my personal favorite), Michael Turner, Gerald Riggs, Warrick Dunn and Jamal Anderson were all fun and amazing to watch!  Many times the Falcons found themselves on the winning side of NFL gamDon'tes when these RBs ran for about 25 plus times.  In these games, the RB would attain roughly 100 plus yards.  This just popped in my memory after reading about what the current Falcons coaches refer to as having a balanced attack.  Sadly, William Andrews meteoric career was suddenly and far too quickly cut short by a preseason knee injury which spelled the end of his career.  What are your thoughts about a balanced Falcons attack?

Don't forget Lynn Cain!

Anyone out there remember Haskell Standback or Dave Hampton? Thats when I first started following them.

22 minutes ago, jm_falcons said:

Anyone out there remember Haskell Standback or Dave Hampton? Thats when I first started following them.

Yessir!

15 hours ago, Draftnut57 said:

William Andrews  ( Smiley )  :D   He would get up after hard fought yards and look around Smiling from ear to ear, I'll just name my #1 favorite RB who made me a Falcon Fan. I could talk about all of the others and  their individual Quality's ,, But I'll just leave it like this,,, 

Turner was known as smiley too

1 minute ago, ATLSlobberKnockers said:

Jerious Norwood and antone Smith were the most exciting to me. Neither could stay healthy. Just seemed like Antone was getting 6 Everytime he got a touch

Right! Smith was the better of the Smith's at that time lol. Train wreck to let him sit...smdh.

ATLSlobberKnockers likes this

On 11/22/2019 at 3:50 AM, Knight of God said:

Michael Turner and Ovie Mughelli

This thing was a truck that had legs. Those dbs in the way put on their big girl boots and skirts and make a business decision when they saw the closest thing to the Xmen juggernaut headed their way. Had he left San Diego Earlier he would have been a sure fire 10k yard 100 TD guy and a first ballot HOFER. Too bad stupid Kutty didn't know to use him or get him a ring. He was a layup in the RZ, pretty much cash every time we had a series down there. 

We will never see another Turner :(.