Falcster

Thinking Back on Former Great Falcons RBs

79 posts in this topic

I was thinking back through past years of the greatest Falcons RBs.   William Andrews (my personal favorite), Michael Turner, Gerald Riggs, Warrick Dunn and Jamal Anderson were all fun and amazing to watch!  Many times the Falcons found themselves on the winning side of NFL games when these RBs ran for about 25 plus times.  In these games, the RB would attain roughly 100 plus yards.  This just popped in my memory after reading about what the current Falcons coaches refer to as having a balanced attack.  Sadly, William Andrews meteoric career was suddenly and far too quickly cut short by a preseason knee injury which spelled the end of his career.  What are your thoughts about a balanced Falcons attack?

Heres a shocker when this team passes more than it runs. They lose, this team can believe there a passing team if they want. DQ, AB, TD and Ryan can say that the passing attack is their biggest strength but it's not even close. No matter what they do, running the football will always be in this team's DNA. It has been that way since the rebuild in 2008. 

Edited by caponine

Bob Christian though a fullback was a brutal guy.

William Andrews another guy who got me first interested in the Falcons whose career was shortened by injury.

Michael Turner of late a bell cow automatic inside the 10 for 7 for a good 3 year period.He had a few years of really heavy lifting helped Ryan immeasurably early in his career.

19 minutes ago, Francis York Morgan said:

I think the issue of OL is crazy overblown, particularly since I think the majority of issues in our run game can be traced back to coaching and our OL needing to gel. Got plenty of talent on it.

Yea, if everyone is healthy (even Mack who I was not fond of earlier in the year) I think our OL would be just fine.  We have seen our running game get going in spurts, but I think it's more scheme and DK than anything else.  DK is not synonymous with a consistent rushing attack.

Francis York Morgan likes this

36 minutes ago, BendFalcon said:

William Andrews played on a couple of winning teams, including the 1980 team. 

The overall tenure was a losing one. 

The nature of the game has changed. College just doesn't send those kind of players anymore.

42 minutes ago, BendFalcon said:

William Andrews played on a couple of winning teams, including the 1980 team. 

We also had a great OL back then too but he was a BRUISER!  Loved to watch him brutalize DB's when he broke loose.  I met him once and dude had some HUGE thighs.  They had to be at least 30 inches round. Sure hated that his ACL tear took him out. 

3 hours ago, kiwifalcon said:

Bob Christian though a fullback was a brutal guy.

William Andrews another guy who got me first interested in the Falcons whose career was shortened by injury.

Michael Turner of late a bell cow automatic inside the 10 for 7 for a good 3 year period.He had a few years of really heavy lifting helped Ryan immeasurably early in his career.

I got into Falcons year after Andrews got hurt, and was amazed at Riggs. Used to write his stats down per carry. Seems like Andrews came back for a brief stint but he was toast.

1 hour ago, Refried Beans said:

John Settle

Steve Broussard

Gerald Riggs

Falcons have had tons of good running backs thru the years but very seldom have had o-lines to block for them. 

Thnx alot.  That is an hours worth of watching highlight videos of the 80s Falcons I will never get back... 

:D

Refried Beans likes this

14 hours ago, Refried Beans said:

John Settle

Steve Broussard

Gerald Riggs

Falcons have had tons of good running backs thru the years but very seldom have had o-lines to block for them. 

Andrews threw a nice block to help spring him on that run. Many don't realize he was a FB that had 1300 yard 80 catch seasons while blocking for another 1000 yard back. Beast.

Tandy, Lowndesfalc, Vandy and 3 others like this

No matter the personal issues......Jamal Anderson was the next best thang to Barry Sanders. And that was for a few years!

That man was 1 man machine!!!!! Take over a game like Michael Jordan!  Lawd, I wish we could have seen more!!!!

ATLSlobberKnockers likes this

19 hours ago, Falcster said:

I was thinking back through past years of the greatest Falcons RBs.   William Andrews (my personal favorite), Michael Turner, Gerald Riggs, Warrick Dunn and Jamal Anderson were all fun and amazing to watch!  Many times the Falcons found themselves on the winning side of NFL games when these RBs ran for about 25 plus times.  In these games, the RB would attain roughly 100 plus yards.  This just popped in my memory after reading about what the current Falcons coaches refer to as having a balanced attack.  Sadly, William Andrews meteoric career was suddenly and far too quickly cut short by a preseason knee injury which spelled the end of his career.  What are your thoughts about a balanced Falcons attack?

William Andrews  ( Smiley )  :D   He would get up after hard fought yards and look around Smiling from ear to ear, I'll just name my #1 favorite RB who made me a Falcon Fan. I could talk about all of the others and  their individual Quality's ,, But I'll just leave it like this,,, 

I love all of the guys already mentioned, but I’m going to throw out a name of a guy who overachieved and gave us a few good years.

Eric Pegram

22 hours ago, Jesus said:

Michael Turner was the only one who played on a winning team.

What 1998 team went to the Super Bowl 1980 Lost in the divisional playoffs Dunn's teams made the playoffs a couple of times. Yea I know no championship but these were decent teams that had other flews than the running game.

*Old Pappy Falcon* likes this

Fellas I went thru the UPS and downs of Falcons RBs. It's started with Cain,Andrews,and I lost interest in Falcons RB because Craig and Payton we're winning SB. Riggs came along and left us for the Skins. Smith and Broussard were bust.

Pegram was under valued. Iron head bought the hammer and he ushered in Jamal Anderson. Jam took us to the Bowl and got the media looking again for the 1st time since Prime left. The post injury JAM years were BRUTAL (99-01) because he wasn't the same. Dunn brought balance and stability.

The Burner was the best back in Falcon history. We won and had an identity. Free played for a hot OC and a scheme(zone block) that is RB friendly. He got his money and has been hurt ever since.

Honorable mention: Coleman,Norwood,Snelling,Duckett

What if award: Hanspard,or drafting LT in 01

Preseason hype: Marlin Jackson,Thomas Brown,Ken Oxendine,

Edited by lju713