*Old Pappy Falcon*

Not Knockin our Current QB

127 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, FalconJim said:

Yeah, the injury to Bo Jackson pretty much did him in after a few years, and really, he never did look like the same RB to me after having the hip replacement. 
But like you say, technology has come a long way since back then, and hopefully Tua's prognosis will be a lot better, and he won't have to go through anything like that! 
I wish him the best, though, because he seems like a great kid, with an awesome talent!!! 

I like him a lot. He seems tough and determined to win. I’m hoping he makes a full recovery. Hate seeing kids like that go down. Especially when they are so close to living their dream. 

6 hours ago, Vandy said:

lol, thanks! Just looking out for us!!!! I'm sorry I wasn't around the last 4 years to see a million of them lol.

On 11/21/2019 at 3:23 AM, FalconAge said:

Neither the Patriots, Chargers, Packers nor potentially even Saints have their QBs of the future currently on their team.

Matt has more quality years ahead of him than all of those QBs.

Well 3 of the 4 teams you named have won a Super Bowl with their QB my biggest fear is that we end up like chargers and we look back 7 years later and we still don’t have a ring 

On 11/21/2019 at 0:23 AM, FalconAge said:

Neither the Patriots, Chargers, Packers nor potentially even Saints have their QBs of the future currently on their team.

Nothing trumps sound logic. Agreed. 

On 11/21/2019 at 10:29 AM, athell said:

Here's my thing...

1)  Matt is not the problem with this team.  He is still performing at a level that is more than enough to win a SB.  Is he Mahomes or Lamar?  No...but he doesn't need to be.  Even Mahomes is proving defense is important...

2)  We have no potential out on Matt's contract until 2022 so at minimum we have a guy sitting on the bench for 3 years.

3)  The whole magic surrounding rookie qb's is the rookie qb contract, specifically 1st rounders because you get that 5th year option.  Why would we spend a 1st rounder on a QB when Matt A ) is still great and B ) is not showing any signs of slowing down anytime soon?

4)  Based off 3, if they do have some future stud QB prospect that shines in spot duty and preseason, by the time he does play he is going to want to be paid so we wasted the years of potential cheap output for what?

I'm all for throwing late round darts at QB prospects, but it's not time yet for Matt's predecessor.  It's just not.  For several reasons, not the least of which being that he is still really really good and should have several years of this level of play ahead of him.  One draft pick can play a large part in a team dynamic, I would much rather use that pick on areas we actually have needs and not try to force the issue because eventually Matt will be gone.

Yea....you’re right. Lol

athell likes this

1 hour ago, JetJones11 said:

Well 3 of the 4 teams you named have won a Super Bowl with their QB my biggest fear is that we end up like chargers and we look back 7 years later and we still don’t have a ring 

Matt was good enough to take us to a Superbowl and dominate for half of it.

Coaching lost it, not him.

Only one of the teams you listed has won a championship more than once, and that team invest heavily in backups because their QB is one of the oldest starters in NFL history. Additionally, the Patriots Mystique means if they can't retain them, they will at least recoup their investment.

I'm fine with getting a decent back-up for Matt, but not at the expense of a draft pick that can make this team good enough to return to the Superbowl.

Schwarzwald and Geneaut like this

On 11/21/2019 at 8:30 AM, Sidecar Falcon said:

Problem with that is that Lawrence will go #1 overall in his respective draft. As bad as we have been, I don’t see us being THAT bad unless Ryan sustains some sort of season ending injury. 

Honestly I love Ryan but his talent has always been his football acumen and not necessarily his physical tools. I think Ryan has a good 2-3 years left at his current play, with minimal decline. After that point I think we’ll see a noticeable regression. 

That being said, I think that we should draft a QB successor sooner rather than later. This year may be the perfect opportunity to strike. If we somehow manage to finish 7-9, we should be picking in the middle of the draft. At that point it may be the best opportunity to go BPA. If Tua is still there, draft him. If we lose out the remainder of this season, wait until the 2nd round and see if he’s still there. 

The reasoning for this is that Tua will not have to start right away. This will allow him to actually heal his body correctly and fully. Tua will have the opportunity to absorb the playbook, speed, and learn from Ryan for the next 2-3 years before he is called upon.

At that point he should be able to come in with minimal learning curve ahead of him. Not to mention he already has a built in rapport with Ridley. This should allow our offense to keep ticking as we continue to rebuild our defense. 

i disagree. I think Ryan hasa solid 5 prime seasons lef t before any decline. Brady wasnt much of an athlete coming out eithdr and hes aged like triple malt. We reall y need to find that next great Falcon rb and bring in another interior OL to solidify a run game. We have to find a way to keep Matt off the grass now that hes firmly in his 30s. 

On 11/22/2019 at 10:41 PM, *Old Pappy Falcon* said:

lol, thanks! Just looking out for us!!!! I'm sorry I wasn't around the last 4 years to see a million of them lol.

I think Swifty started a cult and sent his acolytes here. People would rathar have a QB that makes highlights rathar than be consistently efficient.

On 23/11/2019 at 4:56 AM, treboyplay said:

The reason the Packers are still in a good position now is because they didn’t wait for their hall of fame QB to retire before they found his replacement. 

Favre was 36 when they drafted Rodgers, and they had a huge slice of luck a top 10 QB prospect dropping to them in the 20's. Even then, it created issues because Rodger's was soon unhappy warming the bench for Favre and Brett didn't want to retire. 

Geneaut likes this

3 hours ago, ukfalc said:

Favre was 36 when they drafted Rodgers, and they had a huge slice of luck a top 10 QB prospect dropping to them in the 20's. Even then, it created issues because Rodger's was soon unhappy warming the bench for Favre and Brett didn't want to retire. 

What does any of this mean? They still took the opportunity to draft another QB before Brett retired. That’s what this whole thread is about. Should the Falcons draft a replacement for Ryan. I say if the right QB and opportunity presents itself then yes they should. Matt is 34 and has nowhere near the physical skills that Brett had and probably won’t be able to play at a high level as long as he did. So IMO, they should look to replace Matt sooner than the Packers tried to replace Brett. 

32 minutes ago, ChickenBiscuit said:

Patriots burned a 2nd rounder on a QB and I like to think Brady is a pretty good QB too.

Patriots can afford to waste picks like that, we can't, we can't even build a functional team.

7 minutes ago, THEHEADCOACH said:

Patriots can afford to waste picks like that, we can't, we can't even build a functional team.

Not a "wasted" pick, it was an investment. 

14 hours ago, ATLSlobberKnockers said:

i disagree. I think Ryan hasa solid 5 prime seasons lef t before any decline. Brady wasnt much of an athlete coming out eithdr and hes aged like triple malt. We reall y need to find that next great Falcon rb and bring in another interior OL to solidify a run game. We have to find a way to keep Matt off the grass now that hes firmly in his 30s. 

I doubt he has that many seasons left as he is now. Most most modern NFL QBs careers are over by age 37. The two outliers being Brady/Brees. Both of which have a system specifically designed around them, and have two of the best coaches in the NFL. 

I wouldn’t bank on Ryan being upright a lot. Our oline is only going to get worse when Mack retires. The line calls are going to be an issue when he leaves. 

1 minute ago, Vandy said:

So?

Having a good QB shouldn't stop you from investing in good backup prospect. Schaub is old.

It doesn't have to be a 1st or even a second. It could be a 3rd, but it's not a bad investment. If the guy pans out, congrats, now you have some trade capital. There's never been a team with two quality QBs on their roster that regretted it.

Vandy likes this

2 hours ago, ChickenBiscuit said:

Having a good QB shouldn't stop you from investing in good backup prospect. Schaub is old.

It doesn't have to be a 1st or even a second. It could be a 3rd, but it's not a bad investment. If the guy pans out, congrats, now you have some trade capital. There's never been a team with two quality QBs on their roster that regretted it.

Just as I thought CB...I think you’ve greatly misconstrued my point. 

I’m on record...maybe even in this thread, I’m too lazy to look it up....that I would love to see us draft a Jake Fromm in 3rd round (if he’s there). 

1 minute ago, Vandy said:

Just as I thought...I think you’ve greatly misconstrued my point. 

I’m on record...maybe even in this thread, I’m too lazy to look....that I would love  to see us draft a Jake Fromm in 3rd round (if he’s there). 

Fromm seems like a hard worker and a good leader. He's not a dynamic talent but he could be good learning behind Matt, especially if the OL and coaching improve. I wouldn't be opposed to it at all. He seems very coachable and has the right temperament. 

Vandy likes this

On 11/21/2019 at 2:23 AM, FalconAge said:

and less super bowls we should think for the future