*Old Pappy Falcon*

Not Knockin our Current QB

127 posts in this topic

Should we draft our Future QB in 2 years? This is just a marker to see where we're at on the Boards.

Can we afford to do so? What names could wee see as potential Candidates in two years?

I repeat....not a Matt Ryan bash thread.

I like the Clemson Kid!!!

Edited by *Old Pappy Falcon*
missed something

57 minutes ago, FalconAge said:

Neither the Patriots, Chargers, Packers nor potentially even Saints have their QBs of the future currently on their team.

Matt has more quality years ahead of him than all of those QBs.

The Patriots have traded at least two of their future QBs and both are starters now. I would go for it. What’s the worst that could happen?

2 hours ago, FalconAge said:

Neither the Patriots, Chargers, Packers nor potentially even Saints have their QBs of the future currently on their team.

I agree with half of what you said, but shouldn't we consider it if the current or future coaches make this defense a lot better?

As far as durable...Yes without a doubt he his! But that doesn't mean something can't happen to him. I say we at least get that guy ready to pass the torch when needed .

Edited by *Old Pappy Falcon*
PokerSteve likes this

I wouldnt mind grabbing rosen if he makes it to free agency and letting him learn behind Ryan. As bad as our oline has been over the years it hasnt been as bad as what Rosen has had to deal with in his short career. Of course he could be completely ruined by then too... hmm

3 hours ago, FalconAge said:

Actually the Saints probably do have their QB of the future currently on their roster.

Teddy Bridgewater is still undefeated as the Saints starting QB this season.

The Saints 2 loses this season came in games where Brees was officially the starter.

papachaz and Ovie_Lover like this

58 minutes ago, Knight of God said:

I’m a proactive type. I’d rather have a Ryan and Fromm than a Ryan and Doug Johnson type. 

I hear ya knight. If we get another QB for our franchise .......I want a tall, rocket arm and maybe even a heavier bodied type of Qb. Bounce off that man when hit lol.

Knight of God and PokerSteve like this

5 hours ago, FalconAge said:

We'll truly see how many quality years Ryan has left 

5 hours ago, *Old Pappy Falcon* said:

Should we draft our Future QB in 2 years? This is just a marker to see where we're at on the Boards.

Can we afford to do so? What names could wee see as potential Candidates in two years?

Problem with that is that Lawrence will go #1 overall in his respective draft. As bad as we have been, I don’t see us being THAT bad unless Ryan sustains some sort of season ending injury. 

Honestly I love Ryan but his talent has always been his football acumen and not necessarily his physical tools. I think Ryan has a good 2-3 years left at his current play, with minimal decline. After that point I think we’ll see a noticeable regression. 

That being said, I think that we should draft a QB successor sooner rather than later. This year may be the perfect opportunity to strike. If we somehow manage to finish 7-9, we should be picking in the middle of the draft. At that point it may be the best opportunity to go BPA. If Tua is still there, draft him. If we lose out the remainder of this season, wait until the 2nd round and see if he’s still there. 

The reasoning for this is that Tua will not have to start right away. This will allow him to actually heal his body correctly and fully. Tua will have the opportunity to absorb the playbook, speed, and learn from Ryan for the next 2-3 years before he is called upon.

At that point he should be able to come in with minimal learning curve ahead of him. Not to mention he already has a built in rapport with Ridley. This should allow our offense to keep ticking as we continue to rebuild our defense. 

*Old Pappy Falcon* likes this

4 hours ago, Knight of God said:

The Patriots have traded at least two of their future QBs and both are starters now. I would go for it. What’s the worst that could happen?

Remember when we had Schaub and Vick? Sometimes those 2nd or 3rd round picks DO provide insurance and returns. I’m with you, if the right pick is there, do it. 

15 minutes ago, Sidecar Falcon said:

Problem with that is that Lawrence will go #1 overall in his respective draft. As bad as we have been, I don’t see us being THAT bad unless Ryan sustains some sort of season ending injury. 

Honestly I love Ryan but his talent has always been his football acumen and not necessarily his physical tools. I think Ryan has a good 2-3 years left at his current play, with minimal decline. After that point I think we’ll see a noticeable regression. 

That being said, I think that we should draft a QB successor sooner rather than later. This year may be the perfect opportunity to strike. If we somehow manage to finish 7-9, we should be picking in the middle of the draft. At that point it may be the best opportunity to go BPA. If Tua is still there, draft him. If we lose out the remainder of this season, wait until the 2nd round and see if he’s still there. 

The reasoning for this is that Tua will not have to start right away. This will allow him to actually heal his body correctly and fully. Tua will have the opportunity to absorb the playbook, speed, and learn from Ryan for the next 2-3 years before he is called upon.

At that point he should be able to come in with minimal learning curve ahead of him. Not to mention he already has a built in rapport with Ridley. This should allow our offense to keep ticking as we continue to rebuild our defense. 

Spot on Sidekick! Great stuff!!! 100 percent agree!

Sidecar Falcon likes this

I love Trevor Lawrence and think he's going to be a very good pro, but Matt Ryan has a good few seasons left in him where we could challenge for a Championship and spending a top 5 pick on a QB might not be the best use of our resources.

Lawrence is someone you could build around for the next 10 years though and someone will get a good one.

PokerSteve likes this

57 minutes ago, Sidecar Falcon said:

What have you seen to suggest Lawrence is worthy of the overall 1? 

6 hours ago, *Old Pappy Falcon* said:

At one time I wanted Trevor Lawrence.  Not anymore.  He looks exactly like Jay Cutler 2.0...  He gonna put up a ton of yardage... and a TON of interceptions.   Justin Fields is who they should pick if they have a top pick next season.  The question about whether the Falcons should draft Ryan's replacement is yes.  The rest of the NFL is moving to mobile quarterbacks who have very good arms...

ATLSlobberKnockers likes this