Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Carter

Better Call Saul season 5

Recommended Posts

5 minutes ago, Gritzblitz 2.0 said:

Kim was way nicer to her dumb client that didn't want to take the deal than most defense lawyers I know. 

Ok, I only really know one but he would have told him "Morons like you are why prisons are always full!" or something like that. 

Sometimes you have to be hard with your client, but honestly, it really is his decision.  If it's court appointed, she doesn't even have the leverage of a trial kicker.

Having said that, pretending the guy in the blue and yellow canary outfit was from the DA's office was super dumb.  He's already filming his new TV spots.  He's super recognizable.  Everybody in the city is going to know who he is.  The Gene scene showed us exactly how much -- some doosh cab driver spotted him in another state even with the bald head and mustache.  But Kim told her client, who she is strong-arming to take a deal, that he's from the DA's office?  

That's going to bite her.  If it doesn't it's a huge plot hole, and Gilligan and Gould are not known for plot holes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Something bugging me about the Gene clip — why did he change his mind? People seem to be saying he’s tired of running. 

I think it’s Kim. I think him being exposed and running might somehow endanger her. What would Saul Goodman do to protect the one person he still loves?

Thats probably just me wanting Kim Wexler to live. But still — it makes more sense to me than him just being content with being caught or being blackmailed by that turd cab driver. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JDaveG said:

Something bugging me about the Gene clip — why did he change his mind? People seem to be saying he’s tired of running. 

I think it’s Kim. I think him being exposed and running might somehow endanger her. What would Saul Goodman do you protect the one person he still loves?

Thats probably just me wanting Kim Wexler to live. But still — it makes more sense to me than him just being content with being caught or being blackmailed by that turd cab driver. 

I didn’t like that scene at the mall where he got noticed and “forced” to do the line from his commercials at all. The whole scene was forced, unrealistic and lame imo. Like who the **** is going to approach a fugitive eating a sandwich in the mall and try to intimidate them and pressure them to admit who they really are? I enjoyed the rest of the episode but that part irked me.

However, taken at face value, I don’t think he changed his mind about disappearing again because he’s tired of running. Jimmy’s fight or flight response is strong. To this point, he knows when to run and when to push it. I don’t know what will happen with the Gene storyline but to me this is right up Jimmy’s alley... when he sees an angle he goes all in for it.

Also, the more I think about it the more Kim dying would feel like bad writing. In Breaking Bad, Saul doesn’t ever even reference her if I’m not mistaken. Kim has become one of the most important people to ever be in Jimmy’s life... her dying would not add anything to the Breaking Bad story or Saul’s development from the guy we see now in BCS compared to in BB. He never acts like she died in BB. Something big obviously happens with her but it does feel like it will have to ultimately be somehow connected to the Gene storyline I think.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Carter said:

I didn’t like that scene at the mall where he got noticed and “forced” to do the line from his commercials at all. The whole scene was forced, unrealistic and lame imo. Like who the **** is going to approach a fugitive eating a sandwich in the mall and try to intimidate them and pressure them to admit who they really are? I enjoyed the rest of the episode but that part irked me.

However, taken at face value, I don’t think he changed his mind about disappearing again because he’s tired of running. Jimmy’s fight or flight response is strong. To this point, he knows when to run and when to push it. I don’t know what will happen with the Gene storyline but to me this is right up Jimmy’s alley... when he sees an angle he goes all in for it.

Also, the more I think about it the more Kim dying would feel like bad writing. In Breaking Bad, Saul doesn’t ever even reference her if I’m not mistaken. Kim has become one of the most important people to ever be in Jimmy’s life... her dying would not add anything to the Breaking Bad story or Saul’s development from the guy we see now in BCS compared to in BB. He never acts like she died in BB. Something big obviously happens with her but it does feel like it will have to ultimately be somehow connected to the Gene storyline I think.

I didn't love that scene either, and it's frustrating that we only get present day scenes once or twice a season.  It looks sinister with the "friend" being there, vs a guy that just happened to live in Abq recognizing him. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Carter said:

I didn’t like that scene at the mall where he got noticed and “forced” to do the line from his commercials at all. The whole scene was forced, unrealistic and lame imo. Like who the **** is going to approach a fugitive eating a sandwich in the mall and try to intimidate them and pressure them to admit who they really are? I enjoyed the rest of the episode but that part irked me.

However, taken at face value, I don’t think he changed his mind about disappearing again because he’s tired of running. Jimmy’s fight or flight response is strong. To this point, he knows when to run and when to push it. I don’t know what will happen with the Gene storyline but to me this is right up Jimmy’s alley... when he sees an angle he goes all in for it.

Also, the more I think about it the more Kim dying would feel like bad writing. In Breaking Bad, Saul doesn’t ever even reference her if I’m not mistaken. Kim has become one of the most important people to ever be in Jimmy’s life... her dying would not add anything to the Breaking Bad story or Saul’s development from the guy we see now in BCS compared to in BB. He never acts like she died in BB. Something big obviously happens with her but it does feel like it will have to ultimately be somehow connected to the Gene storyline I think.

I think that scene is a setup to a shakedown, and I think a guy like Jimmy/Saul/Gene is smart enough to have picked up on that.  So I think whatever happens from here involves him turning the tables on this guy, or maybe even just having him bumped off or whatever.

I agree about Kim, but honestly, it would not be out of sorts for this universe for her to get killed in some drug deal gone bad or whatever.  Remember Jesse's girlfriend, for example.  These guys don't play games.  Granted, that was Todd and his crew, and they seem to lack some morality that Gus's crew still maintained, but it was also Gus that killed her other son.  Point being, these people do not **** around and they have no issue going after family to get what they want.  Kim is basically family, or as close to it as Jimmy will ever get.

Still, I can't think of a good reason for him to refuse to run unless there is someone else he's worried about.  And he literally has nobody else at this point other than Kim and Francesca.  I think he's protecting someone by taking care of this guy himself instead of running away.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kim leaving him and shutting off all contact with him would probably be more devastating for Jimmy than her dying.  Now that he's finally on the path to practicing in the strip mall with Francesca, I can still envision Kim reaching a breaking point once he gets involved with Gus and Mike.  I wonder if Kim herself doesn't find herself facing the New Mexico State Bar eventually. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, mdrake34 said:

Kim leaving him and shutting off all contact with him would probably be more devastating for Jimmy than her dying.  Now that he's finally on the path to practicing in the strip mall with Francesca, I can still envision Kim reaching a breaking point once he gets involved with Gus and Mike.  I wonder if Kim herself doesn't find herself facing the New Mexico State Bar eventually. 

Episode 5 is entitled "Wexler vs. Goodman."  Episode 6 is "JMM." 

Episode 10 is "Something Unforgivable," though that could be something involving parties other than Kim (and maybe even Saul).  

It certainly looks like there is going to be significant conflict at least between the two of them just based on the episode titles.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Mr.11 said:

Just finished watching Breaking Bad like a month ago, and I was wondering about this show. How is it?

I think it's better than Breaking Bad personally.  It starts slow, but part of that is the setup to who Jimmy McGill (Saul Goodman) is.  They have to build the character up before they can tear him down.

It's phenomenal, even if you only think it's almost as good as BB.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Better Call Saul is definitely a slow burn and the storytelling is pretty different early on. Different type of show but as it goes on it becomes more and more like Breaking Bad as the timeline gets closer.

One of my favorite things about BCS is how it reveals backstory for what we already experienced in Breaking Bad. For instance, Lalo revealing that Hector and the Salamancas suspected the truth about Gus all along was pretty cool to me. Subtle dialog and nothing that really affects the immediate story, but considering how utterly rooted the Salamancas were through the events in BB and the cartel party... them suspecting all along and still falling victim to Gus, while Hector ultimately gets revenge... well, I thought that subtle dialog added some cool depth. Better Call Saul does that a lot.

Don’t forget there’s another new episode tonight!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

BCS is the better show IMO. Gilligan and Gould have gotten better at their craft, from dialogues to character development to cinematography, BCS is just better. I’m a little biased because I like the legal aspect of it, and it’s been fairly accurate on that front. Kim is a better and more compelling character than any female on BB. 

Perhaps the biggest, and best, difference is the shows within the show on BCS with Nacho and Mike. Yes, we saw Mike in BB but it was always with Walt and/or Jesse. Seeing that character develop has been great. And Nacho, a similarly sympathetic figure, gives us the Salamanca side of the Cartel. A show just about Jimmy and Kim wouldn’t be nearly as good. 

The pacing is a little too slow, but the payoffs are generally worth it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The character exploration is something I'll probably compare to every other show I ever really love, and probably all fiction in general. It isn't just the level of nuance; it's how the nuance is applied. Last season they projected what would happen at the end of the season with Mike at about the halfway point, but you'd only pick up on it by realizing that the relationship he had with with a recently introduced character reminds him of both his relationship with his son and with his father, and that that relationship is what he's reminded of when he deals with Walt in BB.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
  • Create New...