FalconsIn2012

Blank on Koetter Hire: LOL

92 posts in this topic

12 hours ago, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

Here it is.  14:50 if it doesn't start on that spot automatically.  It wasn't really anything that caught my ear when I first heard it.  He just talked about how they didn't really know each other and just came up and sat after the season to see if it would work.  Nothing too big, but now looking back at that quote from AB, then DQ recounting the process which seemed kinda impersonal -- it makes the choice of Koetter all the more odd considering who was out there at the time.  

Maybe if Koetter had a similar scheme it wouldn't seem so suspicious.

I mean, granted, it's all speculation.  But it's reasonable speculation and it makes more sense to me than "Dan Quinn doesn't know what he's doing."

Everyone mad that we lost Kyle Shanahan forgets that everyone here was mad when Quinn insisted on Shanahan as his OC.  The dude knows football.  He knows football coaches.  So when the team starts doing stuff that makes very little sense, I have to think first and foremost "it's not him."

At least, it's not just him.

14 hours ago, rings639 said:

Posted this in another thread.

Dirk's last decade of Rushing DVOA ranks:

Jacksonville

2010: 4th
2011: 21st

Atlanta

2012: 30th
2013: 21st
2014: 22nd
2015: 25th

Tampa Bay

2016: 30th
2017: 25th
2018: 24th

Atlanta

2019: 25th

Dirk Koetter’s poor running stats over the years are undeniable. Bad news Falcons fans, and we know this, all Super Bowl winning teams or even conference champions (contenders) have a dominant run game. I don’t care how great your passing game is. A great run game helps time of possession to wear down an opposing defense and keep your defense off the field. A one dimensional offense that can only pass but hardly run, will give you a great chance of blowing leads instead of running clock, and your defense hardly gets any rest. The 1998 Falcons had a dominant run game with Jamaal Anderson. The 2016 Falcons had a dominant run game with the Freeman & Coleman duo. We won’t be getting anywhere anytime soon if Koetter can’t fix his run game. Oh wait, it’s been a decade now. 

9 hours ago, rings639 said:

Outside of Shanny's first year, since Ryan has been here we have had a really strong passing attack regardless of who the coordinator was, 8/12 years in the top ten, 11/12 top half.  Prior to Ryan arriving you have to go back to 1998 to find a year we finished top half in the league in passing DVOA, a full decade, and Ryan has done it in all but one season...which he followed up by winning the MVP the following year.

However Ryan has only had a top 10 rushing attack once and 10/12 have been 16th or worse.

Even more scary is the defense...one top ten...9/12 bottom half...haven't had a good one since 2012 when they went to the NFC Championship.  Most terrifying thing is that Ryan's best DC in his career was BVG...let that sink in.

EJ3v_dkXYAAqn-V.jpg:large

The last good defense the Falcons had according to DVOA could have easily been 18-1 if Koetter’s run game was better and if Abraham doesn’t play week 17. That was a complete Falcons team defensively and offensively (passing game wise). Only team in Falcons history to beat every opponent on their regular season schedule, not win every game but beat every opponent. 

Rings likes this

@rings639 Also, it’s amazing how the 2017 Falcons were top 10 in scoring D, but in total D, pass D, and run D they were still bottom half in the league. I knew they weren’t as good as what people thought. That was the same D who lost to Tyrod Taylor and let Jay Cutler score 20 unanswered on them late in the game. 

Rings likes this

49 minutes ago, mqg96 said:

@rings639 Also, it’s amazing how the 2017 Falcons were top 10 in scoring D, but in total D, pass D, and run D they were still bottom half in the league. I knew they weren’t as good as what people thought. That was the same D who lost to Tyrod Taylor and let Jay Cutler score 20 unanswered on them late in the game. 

I don’t care what any DVOA metric says, that was a solid and fundamentally sound defensive unit.  Only twice did they allow over 23 points.

A little luck catching INT’s or recovering a fumble and y’all would think differently.

2017 Defensive Numbers:

• Total Defense: 320 yards - 8th

• Scoring Defense: 19.0 ppg - 6th

• Run Defense: 104 ypg - 9th

• Pass Defense: 216 ypg - 12th

21 minutes ago, fan72 said:

He should have just kept Mike Smith .

Naw Smitty was out of gas. You could see it. He lost that fire he had early on. DQ still has it. I wouldn't be surprised if he survived the season. 7-9 is the floor. 

1 hour ago, trubirdfan4life said:

Dirk koetter has no RBs, here nor in Tampa 

Nothing to do with the backs, Freeman was bad his rookie year and took off under two other OCs.  It’s also where he runs the ball and it seems the less successful he is running at a certain gap, he just keeps doing it thinking it’s going to break through eventually vs adjusting.  There are stat after stat, player grades from pff are career lows for players in run and pass game under him, he doesn’t put his players in the best situation to succeed.

Francis York Morgan likes this

21 hours ago, k-train said:

This.

Sooooooooooo much being taken out of context with the thought process expressed by a lot of folks in this thread.

First off, the NFL has been becoming more pass heavy for years, so it should be a no brainer that we pass more than we run.

Second, we have a top 5 QB w/ the best WR in the game, plus a top 5 TE and a very solid #2 WR. We don't have giant Earthmovers on the o-line, our top 2 RBs can't stay healthy & their backups have proven to be nothing special thus far. So again, should be a no-brainer that we'd lean toward passing given the make up of the team.

Third, it's silly to just look at the number of rush plays vs pass plays without considering that the defense was horrible until two weeks ago, so we were often playing catch up & forced to mostly abandon the run.

Yeah sometimes you got to roll with what you got ... Stupid trying to fit a round peg into a square hole 

2 hours ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

I don’t care what any DVOA metric says, that was a solid and fundamentally sound defensive unit.  Only twice did they allow over 23 points.

A little luck catching INT’s or recovering a fumble and y’all would think differently.

2017 Defensive Numbers:

• Total Defense: 320 yards - 8th

• Scoring Defense: 19.0 ppg - 6th

• Run Defense: 104 ypg - 9th

• Pass Defense: 216 ypg - 12th

I don’t look at basic stats anymore to judge things because that’s what gave fans false hope that Beasley was better than he actually is because of his sack numbers, but anyone who looked at pressure rate, hurries, qb hits, knockdowns knew that that performance wasn’t sustainable unless all the other metrics moved up as well.  I personally thought their defense was meh in 17, always had better stats than what the eyes told me.  But that’s just me.  People are entitled to their opinion and I get why people would favor that defense.  I didn’t hate it, but it never felt as good as their scoring numbers stated.  That’s why I personally like dvoa.

21 hours ago, k-train said:

This.

Sooooooooooo much being taken out of context with the thought process expressed by a lot of folks in this thread.

First off, the NFL has been becoming more pass heavy for years, so it should be a no brainer that we pass more than we run.

Second, we have a top 5 QB w/ the best WR in the game, plus a top 5 TE and a very solid #2 WR. We don't have giant Earthmovers on the o-line, our top 2 RBs can't stay healthy & their backups have proven to be nothing special thus far. So again, should be a no-brainer that we'd lean toward passing given the make up of the team.

Third, it's silly to just look at the number of rush plays vs pass plays without considering that the defense was horrible until two weeks ago, so we were often playing catch up & forced to mostly abandon the run.

Just to play devils advocate:

• The fact it’s a passing league is irrelevant since we are comparing our balance  to the other 31 teams

• The fact we have incredible pieces in the passing game should make it easier to run the ball.  And those weapons become even more dangerous in play action once the running game is established.  Our two best seasons under this regime saw a 42-58 run-pass ratio.  

• Trailing by 10 to 14 points should not alter your game plan until the fourth quarter.  Patriots still ran the football  when down 28-3

As long as Freeman is not the rb, our offense is balanced. hill looks like the real deal and is a threat on every play.  Hill can actually block too.  He took on 2 linebackers one play vs panthers.

2 minutes ago, R_The_Great said:

As long as Freeman is not the rb, our offense is balanced. hill looks like the real deal and is a threat on every play.  Hill can actually block too.  He took on 2 linebackers one play vs panthers.

We still need a #1 RB for next year.  Hill is solid #2

Michael Turner can very well in 2012 until the very end when I guess he ran out of gas. Quizz had some good runs. I remember in the Saints and Giants game they pretty much run the the ball the whole drive and got a TD.

I agree with CHEAP TALK "Now the question is where does the problem lie, which does not involve how many times we run the ball, but rather why are those 25-attempts such a fail? ".