FalconsIn2012

Blank on Koetter Hire: LOL

92 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

I never quite bought the notion that AB was a mettlesome owner but :lol: yeah. This quote and the answer DQ gave the other day in the presser about bringing Keotter makes it absolutely seem like a decision made over his head.

I’m almost 100% sure now that DQ is coming back next year if the defense keeps balling. 

I'd love to watch that, if you have a link.

17 minutes ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

I mean, their QB broke his back...before that, their offense was on a nice little roll.   Bevell has done more with far less than Koetter this year

Lions Scoring With Stanford:

- 27, 13, 27, 30, 22, 30, 31, 24

Stafford is one of the most overrated QBs  I’ve ever seen.  

58 minutes ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

It’s how I see things as well...

Meanwhile, back to some balance.  I’m not saying 50-50 ratio is needed, but a run-pass ratio of 40-60 seems prudent.  But 28-72 isn’t where it’s at

I heard an interview with a coach, and I forget what team it was from, but it sounds like "balance" isn't just run vs pass anymore in a lot of peoples eyes.  It's runs vs short pass vs intermediate vs deep (obviously the lowest %), but a lot teams treat screens like a run, even though it will track as a pass.  The whole point of balance is keeping the defense off balance and guessing, and I think it is becoming more and more pass heavy with that line of thinking in a passing league. 

The old idea of "running the ball there is only one bad thing that can happen, passing the ball 2/3 are bad" is being changed as QB play continues to improve and the rules favor the passing game, especially short, safer underneath throws.  Right now on a per yard basis, you are less likely to throw an int than fumble the ball, now obviously not all fumbles result in a turnover, but you get the point.  League wide, every 303 passing yards results in an INT, every 286 rushing yards results in a fumble, and that's with players like Winston, Fitzmagic and Rivers skewing it by throwing picks to everyone.  When you throw in holding penalties, which there are significantly more while rushing the ball vs passing every year, throw in their emphasis on backside holding penalties on runs this year, I'm sure the number is even more lopsided.

Point is, as rules continue to favor the offense, running backs become more and more replaceable in the run game with more of an emphasis on their ability to catch, you can't hit the QB, more emphasis on defensive pass interference...this number is going to get more and more skewed as time goes on.  Over the last 30 years completion % has gone from 57% to 64% league average, climbing some every few years, int rate has gone down while TD rate has gone up, yards per game way up.  Split has gone from 47%/53% run/pass to 42%/58% over that same time.  Just my thoughts on where the league is headed, it will only get more unbalanced by standard terms as time goes on.

FalconsIn2012 and kiwifalcon like this

During his first stint, there were thoughts that the mister bubble screen thing was a manifestation of an OL that couldn't pass block. Then, we have injuries on the OL this year I was thinking maybe he was forced to pass more again. I just think, overall, he wants to throw the ball too much. He has moments where he looks brilliant, but by and large his philosophy is both stubborn and stagnant.

28 minutes ago, falconsd56 said:

We have had a revolving door on the oline due to injuries.

We were down to 3rd string running back and our probowl TE was out.

If he gets an injury pass then so does DK

The problem is Dirk doesn't adjust.  He keeps running the ball as if he had pro bowlers in at guards.  Out of all of our run plays, the most by far have come running between the guards, 94 of them.

A Gap: (Between Guards): 94 runs, 2.8 YPC, 37% success rate
B Gap (Between Guards and Tackles): 53 runs, 3.9 YPC, 47% success rate
C: Gap (Outside Tackles): 35 runs, 5.05 YPC, 57% success rate

Our running calls this year are so backwards based on our talent and where we actually do well.  Last year was A Gap: 107 carries, B Gap 83 carries, C Gap 136 carries.  It's so frustrating to watch our backs this year run up the middle for one yard all day long.

4 minutes ago, rings639 said:

The problem is Dirk doesn't adjust.  He keeps running the ball as if he had pro bowlers in at guards.  Out of all of our run plays, the most by far have come running between the guards, 94 of them.

A Gap: (Between Guards): 94 runs, 2.8 YPC, 37% success rate
B Gap (Between Guards and Tackles): 53 runs, 3.9 YPC, 47% success rate
C: Gap (Outside Tackles): 35 runs, 5.05 YPC, 57% success rate

Our running calls this year are so backwards based on our talent and where we actually do well.  Last year was A Gap: 107 carries, B Gap 83 carries, C Gap 136 carries.  It's so frustrating to watch our backs this year run up the middle for one yard all day long.

And that’s indictment on DK you can see where we get the majority of those yards but when I see them pounding it between the Gs I’m like :doh:.

Fans say Frees washed up yet you get him running outside and matched on LBers in the short pass game he’s still got plenty to offer.

FalconsIn2012 and Rings like this

36 minutes ago, falconsd56 said:

We have had a revolving door on the oline due to injuries.

We were down to 3rd string running back and our probowl TE was out.

If he gets an injury pass then so does DK

Our OL is more than fine, it's the fact that we dont run the ball at all which is hamstringing our offense. Shanny has a back up LT, Backup RT, backup G and has them leading the league in run blocking. 

Just now, kiwifalcon said:

And that’s indictment on DK you can see where we get the majority of those yards but when I see them pounding it between the Gs I’m like :doh:.

Fans say Frees washed up yet you get him running outside and matched on LBers in the short pass game he’s still got plenty to offer.

He was great in an outside zone at Florida State, looked slow his rookie year under Dirk, looked great in an outsize zone under shanny and sark prior to injury, looks slow again under Dirk.  People want to chalk his lack of production on age/injuries, I am of the belief it is him being in a scheme that doesn't play to his strengths, it was my number one concern bringing Dirk back in the first place was how bad he looked his rookie year under him.

kiwifalcon likes this

1 hour ago, falconsd56 said:

Meanwhile Bevells lions have exactly the same number of wins as the falcons.

And he single handily cost them the cards game.

And lion fans are as annoyed by him as some falcon fans are annoyed by DK

Put up 27 points with a backup QB, and running game is still doing fine with a backup RB. Yeah buddy is doing his Job. 

4 hours ago, falconsd56 said:

Not really.

Fact of the matter is that your post is largely untrue.  Every stint Koetter has had with him calling the plays for this team has found us at the bottom of the league, if not dead last, in run percentages.  I guess defenses load up against the run every game we play.

1 minute ago, KRUNKuno said:

Fact of the matter is that your post is largely untrue.  Every stint Koetter has had with him calling the plays for this team has found us at the bottom of the league, if not dead last, in run percentages.  I guess defenses load up against the run every game we play.

Posted this in another thread.

Dirk's last decade of Rushing DVOA ranks:

Jacksonville

2010: 4th
2011: 21st

Atlanta

2012: 30th
2013: 21st
2014: 22nd
2015: 25th

Tampa Bay

2016: 30th
2017: 25th
2018: 24th

Atlanta

2019: 25th

2 hours ago, Godzilla1985 said:

Kind of disheartening to me. Was hoping he wasn’t a meddling owner.  Not good news.

2 hours ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

It’s how I see things as well...

Now to be fair to AB, I could totally be misreading. Could be like you said in the OP and Arthur is going senile and don’t know what’s going on.:lol:

31 minutes ago, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

Now to be fair to AB, I could totally be misreading. Could be like you said in the OP and Arthur is going senile and don’t know what’s going on.:lol:

I’m telling you, he’s gone full on Jerry Jones since the divorce.  200 million dollar yachts, hookers, blow & now arm chair GM.  

I won’t even pretend to lie, I would do the exact same thing if I was a billionaire who owns an NFL franchise. 

Posted a thread the other week about our o-line and in it, it showed Atlanta was LAST in Rushing attempts in the NFL so............................................................ DK is a retread garbage hire, no way DQ hired this dinosaur has been, he's another McKay special. Stuff like THIS is why we dont have a Lombardi. Seems to me like we have a owner and front office getting in the way of coaches they hire and not letting them do their jobs and lying to them about what authority they will and wont have. In the NFL trophy cases are a direct result of your OWNER and their ability to run a franchise. Doing what we always do and getting what we always get.

7 hours ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

Sometimes I wonder if Blank is senile or just talking to hear his own voice...

“The Falcons are counting on new/returning offensive coordinator Dirk Koetter to re-establishing the rushing attack. 

Koetter was the Falcons’ offensive coordinator under Smith from 2012-14. He helped the Falcons reach the NFC title game after the 2012 season. 

The advantage of bringing back Dirk Koetter is that he had good balance when he was with the Falcons,” Blank said. “In Tampa he had a great balance as well. He respects the running game really deeply.”

The Falcons felt they lost their way on offense under offensive coordinator Steve Sarkisian the past two seasons after going to the Super Bowl under Kyle Shanahan.

“So, coach Quinn feels strongly that he wants to get back to that brand of football, as well,” Blank said. “It doesn’t mean that Matt won’t be throwing for 5,000 yards again. It does mean that we’ll have more balance. So, we have the personnel to do that, but we need some help on the offensive line.”

Ab should just assign himself as Gm/HC. I believe he has the right to do this as he OWNs the team. Should he tho, or should he shut the f---- up and quit micromanaging. Yes that would be best imo. 

1 hour ago, Francis York Morgan said:

I'd love to watch that, if you have a link.

Here it is.  14:50 if it doesn't start on that spot automatically.  It wasn't really anything that caught my ear when I first heard it.  He just talked about how they didn't really know each other and just came up and sat after the season to see if it would work.  Nothing too big, but now looking back at that quote from AB, then DQ recounting the process which seemed kinda impersonal -- it makes the choice of Koetter all the more odd considering who was out there at the time.  

Maybe if Koetter had a similar scheme it wouldn't seem so suspicious.

13 minutes ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

I’m telling you, he’s gone full on Jerry Jones since the divorce.  200 million dollar yachts, hookers, blow & now arm chair GM.  

I won’t even pretend to lie, I would do the exact same thing if I was a billionaire who owns an NFL franchise. 

:lol: I might too.  Arthur's knocking on 80.  What he got to lose now?

Hopefully the run game gets more work with the defense showing up. It’s tough to commit to the run when the defense is looser than my ex on prom night. 

34 minutes ago, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

Here it is.  14:50 if it doesn't start on that spot automatically.  It wasn't really anything that caught my ear when I first heard it.  He just talked about how they didn't really know each other and just came up and sat after the season to see if it would work.  Nothing too big, but now looking back at that quote from AB, then DQ recounting the process which seemed kinda impersonal -- it makes the choice of Koetter all the more odd considering who was out there at the time.  

Yeah. That's weird. Bad. If that's the case, hopefully this means next season is all Quinn.

1 hour ago, Francis York Morgan said:

Yeah. That's weird. Bad. If that's the case, hopefully this means next season is all Quinn.

2 hours ago, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

I think the original plan was probably Kubiak but when that didn't work Koetter and Malarkey were plan B. I would imagine Matt Ryan said he was comfortable working with them again.

Rings likes this

1 hour ago, NWFALCON said:

Hopefully the run game gets more work with the defense showing up. It’s tough to commit to the run when the defense is looser than my ex on prom night. 

We had a 45% success rate (3.70 ypc) running the ball Weeks 1-8, 35% success rate (3.28 ypc) running in weeks 10 & 11, we just ran it more often.

1 hour ago, Falcons Fan MVP said:

I think the original plan was probably Kubiak but when that didn't work Koetter and Malarkey were plan B. I would imagine Matt Ryan said he was comfortable working with them again.

Outside of Shanny's first year, since Ryan has been here we have had a really strong passing attack regardless of who the coordinator was, 8/12 years in the top ten, 11/12 top half.  Prior to Ryan arriving you have to go back to 1998 to find a year we finished top half in the league in passing DVOA, a full decade, and Ryan has done it in all but one season...which he followed up by winning the MVP the following year.

However Ryan has only had a top 10 rushing attack once and 10/12 have been 16th or worse.

Even more scary is the defense...one top ten...9/12 bottom half...haven't had a good one since 2012 when they went to the NFC Championship.  Most terrifying thing is that Ryan's best DC in his career was BVG...let that sink in.

EJ3v_dkXYAAqn-V.jpg:large

mqg96 likes this

We need fresh ideas, but old school toughness......new fresh uniforms also. Give us old fans and young fans alike, A reason to be happy....not speculate who's getting the Hammer.

No matter what.....Finish strong with authority! Don't take that dang foot off the pedal next season.

2 hours ago, rings639 said:

Outside of Shanny's first year, since Ryan has been here we have had a really strong passing attack regardless of who the coordinator was, 8/12 years in the top ten, 11/12 top half.  Prior to Ryan arriving you have to go back to 1998 to find a year we finished top half in the league in passing DVOA, a full decade, and Ryan has done it in all but one season...which he followed up by winning the MVP the following year.

However Ryan has only had a top 10 rushing attack once and 10/12 have been 16th or worse.

Even more scary is the defense...one top ten...9/12 bottom half...haven't had a good one since 2012 when they went to the NFC Championship.  Most terrifying thing is that Ryan's best DC in his career was BVG...let that sink in.

EJ3v_dkXYAAqn-V.jpg:large

Thanks for the chart. I know the stats may not show it but I think the 2017 defense was the best and 2016 defense in the playoffs was good. I am more concerned about the running game moving forward than the defense.