FalconsIn2012

Blank on Koetter Hire: LOL

92 posts in this topic

Sometimes I wonder if Blank is senile or just talking to hear his own voice...

“The Falcons are counting on new/returning offensive coordinator Dirk Koetter to re-establishing the rushing attack. 

Koetter was the Falcons’ offensive coordinator under Smith from 2012-14. He helped the Falcons reach the NFC title game after the 2012 season. 

The advantage of bringing back Dirk Koetter is that he had good balance when he was with the Falcons,” Blank said. “In Tampa he had a great balance as well. He respects the running game really deeply.”

The Falcons felt they lost their way on offense under offensive coordinator Steve Sarkisian the past two seasons after going to the Super Bowl under Kyle Shanahan.

“So, coach Quinn feels strongly that he wants to get back to that brand of football, as well,” Blank said. “It doesn’t mean that Matt won’t be throwing for 5,000 yards again. It does mean that we’ll have more balance. So, we have the personnel to do that, but we need some help on the offensive line.”

32 minutes ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

Sometimes I wonder if Blank is senile or just talking to hear his own voice...

“The Falcons are counting on new/returning offensive coordinator Dirk Koetter to re-establishing the rushing attack. 

Koetter was the Falcons’ offensive coordinator under Smith from 2012-14. He helped the Falcons reach the NFC title game after the 2012 season. 

The advantage of bringing back Dirk Koetter is that he had good balance when he was with the Falcons,” Blank said. “In Tampa he had a great balance as well. He respects the running game really deeply.”

The Falcons felt they lost their way on offense under offensive coordinator Steve Sarkisian the past two seasons after going to the Super Bowl under Kyle Shanahan.

“So, coach Quinn feels strongly that he wants to get back to that brand of football, as well,” Blank said. “It doesn’t mean that Matt won’t be throwing for 5,000 yards again. It does mean that we’ll have more balance. So, we have the personnel to do that, but we need some help on the offensive line.”

Chasing the past...

Sounds more of believing DK will attempt to run the ball at least. Even its predictable. It's not a 50/50 gameplan, and DK throws the ball more than he will run, but "balance" in DK system is more like running 20-25 times a game. 

FalconsIn2012 likes this

Uh...so it was Blank's idea to bring Koetter back!  Now I know why this team seems to not be able to get past mediocrity.  Koetter hardly runs the ball. Blank should know that. Maybe he's confused and thinking of Mularkey when we had Turner the Burner?

10 minutes ago, Geaux_Falcons said:

Sounds more of believing DK will attempt to run the ball at least. Even its predictable. It's not a 50/50 gameplan, and DK throws the ball more than he will run, but "balance" in DK system is more like running 20-25 times a game. 

You make a great point, that is what is considered a balance attack or your personnel. It does not necessarily imply 50/50. The Falcons are set-up to move the ball through the air. Our OL is much better at pass-blocking than run-blocking. If the Falcons could effectively run the 25 times a game that would be awesome, but so far nothing has worked on the ground. Now the question is where does the problem lie, which does not involve how many times we run the ball, but rather why are those 25-attempts such a fail?

falconsd56 and PokerSteve like this

40 minutes ago, Geaux_Falcons said:

Which isn’t balance at all...lol

19 minutes ago, hashmark61 said:

hes the best owner we have ever had stop *****ing just to *****! ****

I love Blank.  But he deserves **** for doing the Dirty Bird in the 3rd quarter of SB 51...and when he says stupid things like this...lol

Chaz and Halcon-1 like this

Balance is not having a 50/50 split every game.

Balance is being able to attack teams both on the ground and in the air. 

If teams are going to give up runs...Dk has proven that he will run it at them.

If teams are going to sell out vs the runs...DK will call plays to try and counter that in the air.

These last 2 weeks is a perfect example of this.

Atl Falcon likes this

7 minutes ago, falconsd56 said:

If teams are going to sell out vs the runs...DK will call plays to try and counter that in the air.

We have gone over 105 yards rushing once this year despite teams never focusing on stopping our run game.  Teams gameplan for Ryan, Julio, Hooper & Co

40 minutes ago, Francis York Morgan said:

Lmaoooo

Yeah, Koetter wasn't Quinn's guy. Full stop.

I like Koetter.  But there is nothing about that hire that makes sense.

And I tried to make sense of it.  It's been nothing like I expected.  No identity.  And that is, if not by design, at least systemic.

Regarding "balance," I'm coming to hate that word.  What I think an offense should be is well rounded.  Able to attack in a multitude of ways.  And what the job of the coordinator and play caller would be is to determine where the opposing defense is weakest and attack it.

I DO think you have to commit to the run and commit to it even when it isn't working, to keep linebackers and safeties honest.  And I've long said that is Koetter's worst flaw.  He has no problem showing run or pass and doing just that.  But the truth is, you can throw 70% of the time as long as you can run when you should run.  You can control clock on the ground or through the air.  That's balance.  And moreover, it's keeping the other team off balance.

falconsd56 and vitaman like this

I agree with Arthur Blank. I don’t think Koetter has been bad as people have said he is here. Our defense was atrocious the first half of the year and our run game was non-existent. Should Koetter have been the right replacement for Sark? Probably not, and that is once again on Quinn, but, we’ve seen this same show before, first year of Shanahan, first year of Sark, and now first year of Koetter back. People complain. Gonna have to keep Koetter another year rather people like it or not, but IMO of all 3, Sark was the worst in his first year compared to Shanny in ‘15 and Koetter this year.

Shanahan in his first year had no Alex Mack, no Sanu, and no Gabriel, and still showed promise in that 5-0 start. Koetter in his first year has a reshuffled O-line with 2 rookies, no more Coleman, no more Sanu, and a Freeman past his prime. Sark in his first year had nearly all returning players from that Super Bowl offense and the best defense of Dan Quinn’s tenure, and was bad. Sark was awful against teams with winning records in 2018 (outside of the Saints game at home). Sark was the worst period and I still stand by that.

Sark was never good given the talent Shanahan left for him to utilize with. Look at Sark’s PPG against teams with winning records throughout 2017 and especially 2018 and you’ll see who the real Sark was. After Sark left we shuffled our offensive line and drafted two rookies. We got rid of Coleman, and Freeman has been a shell of his former self. 

falconsd56 and FalconsIn2012 like this

22 minutes ago, falconsd56 said:

You tried really hard with this post.

23 minutes ago, JDaveG said:

Always.  It's to the point that if we ever get back I sure hope we win it because once Blank finds a formula that almost works, he repeats the living **** out of it.

The mind behind the formula resides in SF, so every year chasing ends up diluting the formula more and more. 

Shanny wouldn’t recognize this offense and sure af wouldn’t claim it.  Even his current offense is much different than 2016.  

Evolve or die.  Unfortunately we are not evolving 

14 minutes ago, mqg96 said:

I agree with Arthur Blank. I don’t think Koetter has been bad as people have said he is here. Our defense was atrocious the first half of the year and our run game was non-existent. Should Koetter have been the right replacement for Sark? Probably not, and that is once again on Quinn, but, we’ve seen this same show before, first year of Shanahan, first year of Sark, and now first year of Koetter back. People complain. Gonna have to keep Koetter another year rather people like it or not, but IMO of all 3, Sark was the worst in his first year compared to Shanny in ‘15 and Koetter this year.

Shanahan in his first year had no Alex Mack, no Sanu, and no Gabriel, and still showed promise in that 5-0 start. Koetter in his first year has a reshuffled O-line with 2 rookies, no more Coleman, no more Sanu, and a Freeman past his prime. Sark in his first year had nearly all returning players from that Super Bowl offense and the best defense of Dan Quinn’s tenure, and was bad. Sark was awful against teams with winning records in 2018 (outside of the Saints game at home). Sark was the worst period and I still stand by that.

Sark was never good given the talent Shanahan left for him to utilize with. Look at Sark’s PPG against teams with winning records throughout 2017 and especially 2018 and you’ll see who the real Sark was. After Sark left we shuffled our offensive line and drafted two rookies. We got rid of Coleman, and Freeman has been a shell of his former self. 

Was Ryan better year 2 or even year 3 under Koetter last time around?