freefall

Falcons 3rd down allowed since Ryan been here

38 posts in this topic

12 hours ago, freefall said:

Geez I remember Brooking got fooled on that 3rd and long late in the game.  It was like 3rd and 15 or something.

It was a coverage mismatch. You can’t blame  a LB if he’s asked to cover a 4.4 RB in pass coverage on a crossing route. 

It amazes me people  blame Brooking on that. It would be like having Vic Beasley  covering DJ Moore on a crossing route and blaming Beasley for giving up a 3rd and 15.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, gazoo said:

It was a coverage mismatch. You can’t blame  a LB if he’s asked to cover a 4.4 RB in pass coverage on a crossing route. 

It amazes me people  blame Brooking on that. It would be like having Vic Beasley  covering DJ Moore on a crossing route and blaming Beasley for giving up a 3rd and 15.

It wasn't that he couldn't guard the guy that annoyed people.

It's lack of situational awareness.  It was 3rd and 16 and he bit on a play action and a short route and let the ball be thrown over his head.  The whole point on 3rd and long is let them have that run or that short completion and make sure the ball doesn't go over your head.  He did the exact opposite.

Just a dumb play at a bad time.  But even smart players make them sometimes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, gazoo said:

It was a coverage mismatch. You can’t blame  a LB if he’s asked to cover a 4.4 RB in pass coverage on a crossing route. 

It amazes me people  blame Brooking on that. It would be like having Vic Beasley  covering DJ Moore on a crossing route and blaming Beasley for giving up a 3rd and 15.

Didn't he get fooled and that was why the ball got over his head?  I remember he took a step toward the LOS then realize it was a pass and couldn't recover in time to make a play on the ball.  I mean it wasn't like he got beat by pure speed.  He wasn't aware of the situation and reacted poorly.

gazoo likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, freefall said:

Didn't he get fooled and that was why the ball got over his head?  I remember he took a step toward the LOS then realize it was a pass and couldn't recover in time to make a play on the ball.  I mean it wasn't like he got beat by pure speed.  He wasn't aware of the situation and reacted poorly.

That was the take by many, and sure Brooking may have bit on PA, but Brooking had absolutely no business being put in single coverage on a receiving  RB who runs a sub 4.4 40 on 3rd and long.  It was a horrible coverage mismatch, a coaching whiff and as soon as the QB saw it, of course he exploited it.  

My issue is that fans refused to acknowledge the absurd mismatch in coverage that was designed for failure from the start. QB saw it immediately. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, takeitdown said:

Just a dumb play at a bad time

So you see no issues with sticking an old school MLB on a sub 4.4 40 RB running a crossing route who is an excellent receiver in single coverage on a 3rd and 16?  

QB was licking  his chops presnap when he saw that that mismatch.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/20/2019 at 8:34 PM, dodge_birds_fan said:

Remember that horrible 3rd and long that Jameis picked up... By running... Carrying the defense on his back

I remember at that point thinking “man, this guy is going to be a pain in our *** for years to come”...I was very wrong.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, rings639 said:

I remember at that point thinking “man, this guy is going to be a pain in our *** for years to come”...I was very wrong.

Agreed on both counts. Flip side that was the most disgusted I've been with our defense at that point. 

Rings likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/22/2019 at 9:41 PM, gazoo said:

So you see no issues with sticking an old school MLB on a sub 4.4 40 RB running a crossing route who is an excellent receiver in single coverage on a 3rd and 16?  

QB was licking  his chops presnap when he saw that that mismatch.

Again, it wasn't that he got beat in coverage.  He got beat by sucking up on play action and a short route on 3rd and 16.  He forgot that you should let them run it in that situation and complete a 4 yard pass.

So straight up coverage?  No, a MLB can't cover a RB.  But when just trying to drop back and give him an 8 yard cushion, yeah he should be able to handle that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/22/2019 at 9:29 AM, gazoo said:

That was the take by many, and sure Brooking may have bit on PA, but Brooking had absolutely no business being put in single coverage on a receiving  RB who runs a sub 4.4 40 on 3rd and long.  It was a horrible coverage mismatch, a coaching whiff and as soon as the QB saw it, of course he exploited it.  

My issue is that fans refused to acknowledge the absurd mismatch in coverage that was designed for failure from the start. QB saw it immediately. 

It wasn’t a take, it’s the facts. He bit on a PA, and the TE, not the RB, got behind his hook curl coverage. The issue is biting on a PA on 3rd and 16, if he doesn’t bite that window isn’t there and their TE Spach doesn’t win the game for them.

Lol @ mismatch 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, takeitdown said:

Again, it wasn't that he got beat in coverage.  He got beat by sucking up on play action and a short route on 3rd and 16.  He forgot that you should let them run it in that situation and complete a 4 yard pass.

So straight up coverage?  No, a MLB can't cover a RB.  But when just trying to drop back and give him an 8 yard cushion, yeah he should be able to handle that.

@gazoo tripping here anyways. Spach caught the ball on that 3rd and 16, the TE. He caught it on a deep in due to Brooking stepping up to fill a run lane on a 3rd and 16 pa. There was no mismatch, just a brain dead play

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, Wjcorner said:

@gazoo tripping here anyways. Spach caught the ball on that 3rd and 16, the TE. He caught it on a deep in due to Brooking stepping up to fill a run lane on a 3rd and 16 pa. There was no mismatch, just a brain dead play

I couldn't remember who caught it.  I just remember when watching it, seeing Brooking step forward on a 3rd and 16 was an immediate NOOOOOO.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, takeitdown said:

I couldn't remember who caught it.  I just remember when watching it, seeing Brooking step forward on a 3rd and 16 was an immediate NOOOOOO.

I might be thinking of a different play, because the one I’m thinking about was Brooking getting beat by a sub 4.40 RB on a crossing route.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now