freefall

Falcons 3rd down allowed since Ryan been here

38 posts in this topic

https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/opponent-third-down-conversion-pct?date=2019-11-21

So yesterday I shared how awesome Ryan was at converting 3rd down for the Falcons since he been here.  Well today let see how the Falcons did in term of getting the ball back for Ryan(i.e. stopping other team from converting 3rd down).  Since Ryan been here the Falcons have ranked: 

2008 - 14

2009 - 32

2010 - 24

2011 - 30

2012 - 26(14-2 season?)

2013 - 32

2014 - 32(end of Smith era.  I can see why he was let go now)

2015 - 26

2016 - 25 (SB year)

2017 - 18(2017 Quinn best year)

2018 -  31

2019 -  29(lol even with the awesome last 2 games they are still horrible at getting off the field)

Ok I have to admit I did not know the Falcons have been this bad at getting off the field.  This is with the offense helping them out by converting 3rd down at a extremely consistent rate of 6 top 5, 10 top 10, and never below 11.  Yet what did the defense do?  Never once reach top 10 let alone top 5.  They have been 26 or worse 10 out of 12 years?  At first I just started looking up these stats because I was curious, but after seeing these two stats(converting and allowing 3rd down) I have become angry at what could happened under Ryan if the Falcons could have just an average to good defense.  I used to think fondly of the Smith era, but ranking last in the league 3 times in 7 years along with another 30th rank?  That is atrocious!  No wonder they keep getting bounced early in the playoff.  You can't win against good teams when your defense consistently not getting off the field.  

BTW, I did take a glance at how NE has been doing on allowing 3rd down conversion and to my surprise they had not been doing as well as I would expected from a BB defense team.  Granted they are #1 this season, and there are like 2 top 10 or so since 2008, but other than that they had been mediocre or flat out bad, which is rather surprising.

1 minute ago, 408Falcon said:

Over the years I've witnessed so many painful 3 and 15+ get converted by opponents.... At this point on 3rd down I kind of just expect other teams to pick it up and get juiced when we actually do stop something.

Exactly, I'd be curious to see what the average yardage to go on those converted 3rd downs were, has to be at a high this year.

408Falcon likes this

This is what I've been saying and why I don't want Quinn back even if we right the ship.  The defenses Matt has had to be paired with over the years should be a crime.  Give this man even an above average defense and we would be instant and serious contenders year after year.

mqg96, Schwarzwald and falcons007 like this

18 hours ago, Nino11 said:

Stats don’t surprise me at all. Going all the way back to Keith Brooking vs Arizona this teams always seems bad on Third down and especially when it matters most 

Geez I remember Brooking got fooled on that 3rd and long late in the game.  It was like 3rd and 15 or something.

11 hours ago, Dirtybird56 said:

26th or worse in 10 of 12 seasons is unbelievably bad wow

I know.  It was shocking for me when I saw that.

ratesforless likes this

1 minute ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

Not gonna lie, I just threw up a little bit in my mouth reading those stats

Lol.  I have seen other commented that elite QB don't let their team goes 1-7 or 4-12...well I don't care how elite you are as long as you are standing on the sideline you aren't going to matter much.  Ryan can only do so much when he is on the field, and he is one of the best if not the best at keeping drives alive by converting 3rd down, but as we can see that is still not enough to compensate for his team defense. 

ratesforless likes this

9 minutes ago, falcons007 said:

Smitty ran a true bend but don’t break Defenses. Turnovers and forcing teams to FG helped win some games. In 2012, they went 13-3 and D won at least two games that year.

That's true.  Some of the characteristics of Smith team were discipline, don't beat themselves, and opportunistic at time.  Maybe that's why it never occurs to me that they were so bad at allowing 3rd down conversion.

23 minutes ago, falcons007 said:

Smitty ran a true bend but don’t break Defenses. Turnovers and forcing teams to FG helped win some games. In 2012, they went 13-3 and D won at least two games that year.

Our defense won the Broncos and especially Raiders games in 2012, I know for sure. The last time the Falcons were 2-0 at home vs the AFC to this day. Our defense played a huge roll in home victories vs the Cowboys and Saints too.

18 hours ago, Nino11 said:

Stats don’t surprise me at all. Going all the way back to Keith Brooking vs Arizona this teams always seems bad on Third down and especially when it matters most 

Don't remind me of that game. I lost a lot of $$$ on that game...

The 4th and forever that Philly got late in the game earlier this year. How in the blazing blue h3ll does a receiver get so wide open in such an obvious passing situation is beyond words...

23 hours ago, 408Falcon said:

Over the years I've witnessed so many painful 3 and 15+ get converted by opponents.... At this point on 3rd down I kind of just expect other teams to pick it up and get juiced when we actually do stop something.

Basically this. After a while you just expect a third down conversion and are surprised when we actually get the stop.

KamiKazee27 likes this

Then again, the fact that BVG is one of our former DCs really says it all. Here in Louisville one of the local radio personalities calls it the "BVG fade" betting Bowling Green can't cover the spread any given week.