2019 SEC Championship: #4 Georgia vs #2 LSU

1 hour ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

Solid response.

By predictable I am going by our run-pass ratio and refusal to test opposing teams CB’s.  Our entire OL and most of the backups, along with Swift & Fromm will play on Sundays.  We rush for 200 ypg.  Why can’t we exploit the seams with PA?  The easiest throws are between the numbers yet Fromm never exploits it.  Makes his job so much more difficult.  Almost a complete 180 from LSU who throw/exploit the middle all game.  

We are also incredibly conservative.  We run on 59% of the plays.  This might impact Fromm’s ability to get in rhythm.   Against Auburn, if you take away the one long TD, Fromm was 12-28 for 53 yards.  Everything was a checkdown or a five yard out. Predictability.  The last 3 games we’ve run on 1st down 28 times and pass 14 times.  Predictability

And in the run game, we don’t really put our playmakers in space to use their athleticism as often as we should..  More outside zone and screens.  This is what Swift resonated mid-season when he was frustrated with the play-calling:  

“Swift, the leader of the Bulldogs’ running attack, would like to see the offense be less predictable in Saturday night’s game against Kentucky. He didn’t mince words when asked if he’d like to see more creative play-calling as a way to help the Bulldogs’ running backs create big plays.

“Most definitely,” Swift said Monday. “I think we need to do a better job of getting the ball to the playmakers in space and getting the ball outside a little more.”

There's nothing here for me to really disagree with lol

This is where a lot of the arguments seem to kinda hinge though I guess... blaming the WRs or blaming the QB or blaming the OC. Throughout the season it has really been a combination of it all. Playcalling has been noticeably improving, even if execution has been dragging. At this point in the season though I feel like QB play should be at the highest level it can be. We're not working with inexperienced WRs anymore, those boys are all battle tested and been through countless hours of drills and repetitions with Fromm... yet Fromm hasn't even hit 50% of his throws the past month. The WRs certainly are not playing perfect though.

Seems like it has gotten to a point where even Kirby and Fromm have acknowledged this with some of their comments.

I know we can't take much from the Tech game because it was a major mismatch and blowout, but it seemed like the run got worked a lot more to the outside. Saw some of that increasing against Auburn and A&M as well. We will definitely need to continue that. And I *hope* Coley finally figures out how to use James Cook.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hopefully this will be the pre-game speech Ed Ogeron delivers to the LSU players prior to kickoff.

8-0. Since 2000, that's the record in the SECCG of the team with the number 1 rated defense in the SEC.   I like this!

I hardly ever watch ESPN at all unless it's to watch a game. Their "analysts" have been a joke for years. Remember how they used to set up a mock court room skit with Mark May and Lou Holtz to talk ab

Posted Images

14 minutes ago, Carter said:

There's nothing here for me to really disagree with lol

This is where a lot of the arguments seem to kinda hinge though I guess... blaming the WRs or blaming the QB or blaming the OC. Throughout the season it has really been a combination of it all. Playcalling has been noticeably improving, even if execution has been dragging. At this point in the season though I feel like QB play should be at the highest level it can be. We're not working with inexperienced WRs anymore, those boys are all battle tested and been through countless hours of drills and repetitions with Fromm... yet Fromm hasn't even hit 50% of his throws the past month. The WRs certainly are not playing perfect though.

Seems like it has gotten to a point where even Kirby and Fromm have acknowledged this with some of their comments.

I know we can't take much from the Tech game because it was a major mismatch and blowout, but it seemed like the run got worked a lot more to the outside. Saw some of that increasing against Auburn and A&M as well. We will definitely need to continue that. And I *hope* Coley finally figures out how to use James Cook.

And make no mistake, we have the talent to win.  We have the defense & ST’s to win.  But does the offense have the confidence to put it all together?  We will find out soon enough.

But watching Burrow vs Bama & Auburn, he was throwing dimes and usually there were more than one open receiver.  Their crossers and natural picks are a problem.  It’s why I think to win, we need to buck conventional wisdom and drop 8 into coverage.  Luckily we have the athlete at LB to effectively spy Burrow.  Press man coverage, no zone...should be fun.

We are the only defense with the tools to matchup with LSU.  

1 hour ago, g-dawg said:

College Football Live in ESPNU just had a whole segment about SECCG and barely mentioned the name Georgia.    Guess it will be this way all week from sports media.

ESPN always talks up the teams with big offense. Burrow being the Heisman frontrunner and Joe Brady being one of the hottest names in coaching right now is only going to add to how much they all agree in their production meetings that they need to talk about how great LSU is.

Rat poison.

3 hours ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

And make no mistake, we have the talent to win.  We have the defense & ST’s to win.  But does the offense have the confidence to put it all together?  We will find out soon enough.

But watching Burrow vs Bama & Auburn, he was throwing dimes and usually there were more than one open receiver.  Their crossers and natural picks are a problem.  It’s why I think to win, we need to buck conventional wisdom and drop 8 into coverage.  Luckily we have the athlete at LB to effectively spy Burrow.  Press man coverage, no zone...should be fun.

We are the only defense with the tools to matchup with LSU.  

The problem with running man coverage is there are no eyes on the QB.   Marcus Spears broke down tape of man coverage vs Burrow - when he scrambles with no throw, fairly easy for him to take off for 20yds in a scramble.   Joe is really good moving in pocket eluding rush and scrambling for first downs.

Put three in the box and they can run.   This won’t be easy no matter what the defensive strategy - LSU has a counter for whatever you try to do to them.

24 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

The problem with running man coverage is there are no eyes on the QB.   Marcus Spears broke down rape of man coverage vs Burrow - when he scrambles with no throw, fairly easy for him to take off for 20yds in a scramble.   Joe is really good moving in pocket eluding rush and scrambling for first downs.

Put three in the box and they can run.   This won’t be easy no matter what the defensive strategy - LSU has a counter for whatever you try to do to them.

I think we need to force 2-3 turnovers and possibly a non-offensive TD to win.  

On 12/3/2019 at 10:19 AM, BamaBirdLady said:

I have to disagree. Winning the SEC is a big deal! It has been a minute since they won it last and they really want the perfect season,  I think it means a lot to them.

GA will have to WIN it! I believe they can, just can't make the mistakes we did.

I disagree, LSU has nothing to prove by winning the sec, they already in playoffs, therefore they have nothing to lose. 

8 minutes ago, SacFalcFan said:

I have this feeling of doom. 

Honestly I ha e gone back and forth. While I do feel we can win the game, I’m also not naive enough to not realize it could get ugly if we don’t maintain something on offense. The defense can’t be on the field too much against an offense like this. 

4 minutes ago, SacFalcFan said:

Not me lol, I feel fine about the game.

Saw a dude wearing an LSU hoodie at Target earlier as we were waiting in the checkout line. He walked right up to us with I guess his wife or gf and I gave him a respectable "Go Dawgs" ^_^ We chatted briefly, he said he can't wait and thinks it will be a close game.

A friend of mine from Baton Rouge, lifelong Saints and LSU fan, told me he thinks UGA will pull an offensive rabbit out of their *** and win. :lol: He has been complaining all season long about their defense though.

10 hours ago, SacFalcFan said:

I might have a fever but I'm feeling inexplicably confident.  Not confident that we will win it but confident that we are competitive in this game (somehow).  Its unfortunate that LSU is probably the best team in the country and playing their best right now but I think we have a shot. 

34 minutes ago, frankly88 said:

I might have a fever but I'm feeling inexplicably confident.  Not confident that we will win it but confident that we are competitive in this game (somehow).  Its unfortunate that LSU is probably the best team in the country and playing their best right now but I think we have a shot. 

i wish i had your belief that we could compete.. i could deal with it if we were competitive and lost.. i am just worried lsu makes a statement against us in the game.. i have rewatched the lsu/auburn game a few times and the key IMO is pressure up the middle.. then today i saw a real good twitter breakdown on what i saw with auburn getting pressure up the middle. lsu is not as strong inside on that oline and we can get pressure right up in burrow's face we have a great chance to slow them down.. pressure on the edge won't be as effective since burrow can step up and still get into his throws and see the field, but if we can do what auburn did and get in his face up the middle we have a fighting chance.

3 minutes ago, SacFalcFan said:

i wish i had your belief that we could compete.. i could deal with it if we were competitive and lost.. i am just worried lsu makes a statement against us in the game.. i have rewatched the lsu/auburn game a few times and the key IMO is pressure up the middle.. then today i saw a real good twitter breakdown on what i saw with auburn getting pressure up the middle. lsu is not as strong inside on that oline and we can get pressure right up in burrow's face we have a great chance to slow them down.. pressure on the edge won't be as effective since burrow can step up and still get into his throws and see the field, but if we can do what auburn did and get in his face up the middle we have a fighting chance.

We need Tyler and Jordan to really get a great push up the middle

1 minute ago, 007dawg said:

We need Tyler and Jordan to really get a great push up the middle

i think ed O continually pointing out how great out dline is was a message he was sending to his players.. he called out both clark and davis.. he really loves how clark plays.. if both guys stand out and we get pressure up the middle we can hold them to the 20 to 30 point range.. 

3 hours ago, SacFalcFan said:
Since 2000, no team has made more appearances in the SEC Championship Game than Georgia, which is making its third consecutive trip to Atlanta and eighth total since the turn of the century. Alabama has been seven times, Florida & LSU six, Auburn five and Tennessee three.

Being completely objective here, GA has no problem getting to the championship game, they just have trouble winning the game. They have been 8 times and only won the title 3 times in 02, 05, and 17.

Alabama has been 7 times since 2000 and have won it 6 times, 09, 12, 14, 15, 16, 18.

I hope GA can win it, but how many times you get there isn't really important if you don't win it.

2 hours ago, SacFalcFan said:

I just hope if we do bring our "A game" to start that Kirby doesn't make the same mistakes he did in the Natty and SECCG against Bama with two score lead in 2nd half.  When playing a prolific offense(like LSU now or Bama) - you cannot sit on the ball and hope to run the clock out.    You press on the gas - hard!

22 minutes ago, BamaBirdLady said:

Being completely objective here, GA has no problem getting to the championship game, they just have trouble winning the game. They have been 8 times and only won the title 3 times in 02, 05, and 17.

Alabama has been 7 times since 2000 and have won it 6 times, 09, 12, 14, 15, 16, 18.

I hope GA can win it, but how many times you get there isn't really important if you don't win it.

That's not just a UGA problem.

There's something in the water in GA as all GA sports have that same issue.

You're exactly right. We need to press up the middle. And Burrows makes throws while moving as good as any QB I've seen in a very long time. He will be running and looking down field and his throws are extremely accurate. So the DB's will have to stay close to their receivers even when they see him moving. I think DB's have a tendency to slow down a step when they think the QB is running for their life. With Burrows, you just can't do that.

so you taking me to the game?  

LOL, I'm still holding out for hopefully some comp tix to the game, so keep your phone handy!   I've been lucky 3 times that way, so hoping for number 4 this year!  Regardless, tix may come down so cheap by game day, that I may not be able to resist and buy some.