2019 SEC Championship: #4 Georgia vs #2 LSU

Carter

1 hour ago, g-dawg said:

Besides being great for Dawg fans, this would be great for college football.

Utah, Oklahoma or Baylor is blech!

Not sure I agree that they are blech. I just don't believe those 3 teams are at the level of the current Top 4.

I've watched Utah play UCLA and Colorado; the Utes are good (UCLA was a Junior High team level) but they aren't better than a mid-Tier SEC team. Pretty much same for OU and Baylor.  Any of those 3 can beat anyone "on a given day"..   just not the best teams at a 50/50 rate. But all each needs is a chance.

6 hours ago, g-dawg said:

I am just saying Baylor is weak enough and their resume’/schedule is weak enough that it would warrant legitimate discussion in the committee room.

I don't think ANY team, including GA, that has lost 2 games, would get in over a conference champ with 1 loss.

GA would need all the things to happen that Bama needed to get into CFP if they lose SECCG. 

It's kinda funny ya'll were laughing at us playing out that scenario and ya'll were bashing on Bama for sliding in the back door over other conference champs! It's a different story when it is your team trying to get in!

I'm still hoping GA can shut up those nasty swamp things!

GO DAWGS, SIC EM!

6 hours ago, putnam6 said:

Dawgs ain't getting in with another loss, unless something flukey happens or TPTB want to see a Buckeyes and Bulldogs match. Which has way more appeal than Baylor against anyone. 

yep no way.. we win we are in..we lose in a close game we get the sugar.. we get boatraced who knows what we get.. 

The Orange Bowl presents problems for UGA. The probable opponent is Virginia. That would have UGA playing Virginia in back to back games. Takes some excitement away from Week 1 next year. UGA is pretty much a lock to be the SEC team in the Sugar if they lose IMO. Especially if Oklahoma loses. Sugar would be wanting the Rose Bowl rematch. 

19 hours ago, Nereek said:

This game is useless for LSU... they already in the playoffs regardless of the sec championship game.

I have to disagree. Winning the SEC is a big deal! It has been a minute since they won it last and they really want the perfect season,  I think it means a lot to them.

GA will have to WIN it! I believe they can, just can't make the mistakes we did.

8 hours ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

Unfortunately, “our” kind of offense is still unknown.  We have no identity outside of running on 1st & 2nd down and throwing outside the numbers.  That kind of predictability is not how you beat teams with same/similar talent.

Predictability is how great teams become just really good teams.  That’s us. We rely on having better players.  Our offense doesn’t scheme players open.  We simply think our 4 or 5 star is better than your 3 or 4 star.  Most Saturdays that works.  But against Bama or LSU or Clemson, scheme and coaching tilts the field one way or the other

LSU isn’t the team you want to try and find your identity playing.  Their defense is better than most think.  Their games are blowouts at halftime and they go into soft zone.  But when games are still important, their defense is stout.  

On the season, LSU’s “poor” defense has allowed just 52% completion rate vs a tougher opponents while our elite defense has allowed 56%.  Out run defense is a full yard better allowing just 2.7 ypc.  

Can we win?  Of course.  But to expect a leopard to change its spots this late in the game seems a bit much.  Between Week 6 & Week 11 we averaged just 21 ppg.  Sure we played better in the 2nd half yesterday, but GT is so bad.  

The creativity of Brady & Burrow in the passing game will likely overwhelm our defense.  We have not seen this before.  It’s like the Saints circa 2008-2016. 

IMO, the first team to score 27 wins.  The smart money is on LSU,  Fingers crosses its us

Sorry for the delay on this, I've had to work and my dad has been staying with us visiting for the past week or so.

I think we have a well established identity on offense. We have just had a lot of inconsistency with our execution, which is not the same thing as not knowing what we want to do. We feed the ball to a deep stable of RBs, we use the run and screens or shallow passes to set up shots downfield in the passing game.

Our style of game offensively is wearing down defenses and playing keep away. That's absolutely what we need to do against LSU. We need to keep their offense off the field and get their offense off the field as soon as possible. That's entirely possible.

LSU's scheme is not complicated, but it has proven to be hard to defend. Auburn limited their scoring but gave up a lot of yards. I feel like that may be something we will see again. UGA will probably try to avoid giving up the explosive plays and then clamp down tighter on the shorter field.

We don't do anything close to run run pass every possession though, I see that said a lot and it seems based on what happens more often than not when we go 3 and out. That does happen more than half the time we go 3 and out. I've gone over those numbers in detail, gone over play by play analysis for myself and counted for myself. Our offense is a lot more balanced and multiple than people seem to give it credit for. We also throw quite a bit on early downs.

Your second paragraph is a scramble to me. We have an identity and I think "predictability" is a very general but small part of the issue. LSU's offense is predictable, Kirby even let that slip about how they run a lot of the same stuff over and over. We've also already seen a lot of tape on LSU by scouting Auburn and Florida before playing them. We don't rely on just having better players. Our coaching and preparation is top notch. Scheme has been an issue imo with the personnel we have, but execution has been a bigger and more consistent issue. A big reason for our struggles has been a combination of inexperience at WR, lack of a threat at TE and poor play at QB. Plays have been there all year long though, we've all seen it. 

Pressuring Burrow will be huge in this game and I don't think anyone except Ohio State and maybe Clemson can do that like we can. Our defense is really a different animal though, we do so many different things on defense. LSU's defense is not "bad." I'm guilty of emphasizing their poor play by calling them bad. The fact of the matter is they are extremely talented but have not played like it. Their defense has gotten better though and will likely come into this game motivated to try and make a statement. 

Gonna be a fun one imo. Nobody seems to be giving the Dawgs a chance but I think it will be a very tight game.

3 hours ago, Carter said:

Sorry for the delay on this, I've had to work and my dad has been staying with us visiting for the past week or so.

I think we have a well established identity on offense. We have just had a lot of inconsistency with our execution, which is not the same thing as not knowing what we want to do. We feed the ball to a deep stable of RBs, we use the run and screens or shallow passes to set up shots downfield in the passing game.

Our style of game offensively is wearing down defenses and playing keep away. That's absolutely what we need to do against LSU. We need to keep their offense off the field and get their offense off the field as soon as possible. That's entirely possible.

LSU's scheme is not complicated, but it has proven to be hard to defend. Auburn limited their scoring but gave up a lot of yards. I feel like that may be something we will see again. UGA will probably try to avoid giving up the explosive plays and then clamp down tighter on the shorter field.

We don't do anything close to run run pass every possession though, I see that said a lot and it seems based on what happens more often than not when we go 3 and out. That does happen more than half the time we go 3 and out. I've gone over those numbers in detail, gone over play by play analysis for myself and counted for myself. Our offense is a lot more balanced and multiple than people seem to give it credit for. We also throw quite a bit on early downs.

Your second paragraph is a scramble to me. We have an identity and I think "predictability" is a very general but small part of the issue. LSU's offense is predictable, Kirby even let that slip about how they run a lot of the same stuff over and over. We've also already seen a lot of tape on LSU by scouting Auburn and Florida before playing them. We don't rely on just having better players. Our coaching and preparation is top notch. Scheme has been an issue imo with the personnel we have, but execution has been a bigger and more consistent issue. A big reason for our struggles has been a combination of inexperience at WR, lack of a threat at TE and poor play at QB. Plays have been there all year long though, we've all seen it. 

Pressuring Burrow will be huge in this game and I don't think anyone except Ohio State and maybe Clemson can do that like we can. Our defense is really a different animal though, we do so many different things on defense. LSU's defense is not "bad." I'm guilty of emphasizing their poor play by calling them bad. The fact of the matter is they are extremely talented but have not played like it. Their defense has gotten better though and will likely come into this game motivated to try and make a statement. 

Gonna be a fun one imo. Nobody seems to be giving the Dawgs a chance but I think it will be a very tight game.

Solid response.

By predictable I am going by our run-pass ratio and refusal to test opposing teams CB’s.  Our entire OL and most of the backups, along with Swift & Fromm will play on Sundays.  We rush for 200 ypg.  Why can’t we exploit the seams with PA?  The easiest throws are between the numbers yet Fromm never exploits it.  Makes his job so much more difficult.  Almost a complete 180 from LSU who throw/exploit the middle all game.  

We are also incredibly conservative.  We run on 59% of the plays.  This might impact Fromm’s ability to get in rhythm.   Against Auburn, if you take away the one long TD, Fromm was 12-28 for 53 yards.  Everything was a checkdown or a five yard out. Predictability.  The last 3 games we’ve run on 1st down 28 times and pass 14 times.  Predictability

And in the run game, we don’t really put our playmakers in space to use their athleticism as often as we should..  More outside zone and screens.  This is what Swift resonated mid-season when he was frustrated with the play-calling:  

“Swift, the leader of the Bulldogs’ running attack, would like to see the offense be less predictable in Saturday night’s game against Kentucky. He didn’t mince words when asked if he’d like to see more creative play-calling as a way to help the Bulldogs’ running backs create big plays.

“Most definitely,” Swift said Monday. “I think we need to do a better job of getting the ball to the playmakers in space and getting the ball outside a little more.”