FalconsIn2012

Maxx Crosby: The Case For Not Trading Away Draft Capital

200 posts in this topic

13 minutes ago, MSalmon said:

Good post. I know we all liked Maxx...but I think the OL picks will pay off long term

They will.  I like Lindstrom & Kaleb.  

But Elkins & McCoy will be just as solid and could have been had in the 2nd and 3rd.  But it’s a hindsight perspective so unfair

1 hour ago, FalconFanSince1969 said:

Pretty sure 6 of 9 isn't close to accurate. 

We've had our 1st thru 3rd 4 times since 2014 so yea, not close to accurate. 

My mistake, it was 5 times in 9 years.  It was 6 in 10 years if you include 2010

2 hours ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

Kaleb will be a very good RT, but you don’t have to trade up to get a player you like. You just don’t.  Kaleb possibly could have fallen to us in the 2nd.  

Look at Justin Skule on the 49ers.  Taken in the 6th round in 2019 draft and has been better than any rookie tackle since taking over for Joe Staley this year

You don’t have to use a 1st round draft pick to get a quality starting NFL  QB  either (Brady was 6th round pick)

But if you really, really, really need a starting QB, it’s best you don’t wait until round 6 to pick one. 

1 minute ago, gazoo said:

You don’t have to use a 1st round draft pick to get a quality starting NFL  QB  either (Brady was 6th round pick)

But if you really, really, really need a starting QB, it’s best you don’t wait until round 6 to pick one. 

Too much of an outlier to use as an example.  You find quality starting tackles in rounds 2-4 every year

6 minutes ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

Too much of an outlier to use as an example.  You find quality starting tackles in rounds 2-4 every year

Quality is subjective and based on where he is now, but he has not peaked.   Jake Mathews took 3 seasons to start playing at his peak level.

How many All Pro RTs come out of rounds 2-4 each year? 

ATLSlobberKnockers likes this

42 minutes ago, athell said:

Agreed.  And we kinda got him in the later rounds in Cominsky anyways, didn't we?

Yeah, you could say that.

i meant to ask you what your thoughts were in Cominsky and Sheffield?  I know you dug both 

Vandy, Schwarzwald and athell like this

10 minutes ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

Just not Ty, who was a 2nd rnd pick. You get far more busts than booms at RT after rnd 1. 

gazoo likes this

42 minutes ago, gazoo said:

Quality is subjective and based on where he is now, but he has not peaked.   Jake Mathews took 3 seasons to start playing at his peak level.

How many All Pro RTs come out of rounds 2-4 each year? 

All Pro is a bit too much to expect.  Are we projecting Kaleb as an All Pro?

There are only 3 each year...and they are usually the same guys.  Pro Bowl is a better measure.  I’d guess 1 a year.  2-3 quality starters

Schwarzwald likes this

51 minutes ago, ATLSlobberKnockers said:

Just not Ty, who was a 2nd rnd pick. You get far more busts than booms at RT after rnd 1. 

Of the top 10 tackles, 5 were drafted in the 1st round.

Bhakitari, Schwartz, Whitworth, Armstead & Peters were not 1st round picks

So yes, your chances are better in round 1, but if your scouts and scheme are in sync, you can find elite tackles in the 2nd, 3rd & 4th

Schwarzwald likes this

4 minutes ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

So yes, your chances are better in round 1, but if your scouts and scheme are in sync, you can find elite tackles in the 2nd, 3rd & 4t

Of course they CAN be found but the hit% is MUCH lower after rnd 1 and gets worse every round thereafter.

gazoo likes this

2 hours ago, Falcons_Frenzy said:

If the Falcons had drafted Crosby he would likely be sitting on the bench behind Takk and Vic and nobody would know what the Falcons have, including the Falcons. 

Sad but true.

2 hours ago, Falcons_Frenzy said:

If the Falcons had drafted Crosby he would likely be sitting on the bench behind Takk and Vic and nobody would know what the Falcons have, including the Falcons. 

Even if we had started him from day one he probably wouldnt have gotten any sacks until a couple of weeks back when we started using our guys in the secondary the right way.

Falcons_Frenzy likes this

3 hours ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

Taylor and Ford are having identical seasons to Kaleb.  Could have drafted either and kept our 3rd

Um, Taylor and Ford were both drafted before what our 2nd round pick would have been.

3 hours ago, Summerhill said:

Yes the Falcons would probably have a terrible record if they had Ty at RT all season. 

The terrible record has to do with the defense, not RT. And McGary has been a huge upgrade overTynstyle Sombrero

1 hour ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

All Pro is a bit too much to expect.  Are we projecting Kaleb as an All Pro?

There are only 3 each year...and they are usually the same guys.  Pro Bowl is a better measure.  I’d guess 1 a year.  2-3 quality starters

McGary has a rare blend of size, strength, power, athleticism and mobility. Very rare.  His arrow is straight up.

4 minutes ago, quotemokc said:

Um, Taylor and Ford were both drafted before what our 2nd round pick would have been.

That’s not really what I was saying..lol.  I was saying if you like all 3, let it play out and if you decide to move up, do so at pick 38 rather than 31.  Would have only cost our 4th round comp pick

46 minutes ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

So yes, your chances are better in round 1, but if your scouts and scheme are in sync, you can find elite tackles in the 2nd, 3rd & 4th

If any teams knew just how good  Bhakitari, Schwartz, Whitworth, Armstead & Peters were, they would have moved up in round 1 to get them if all they had was a second round pick and needed a tackle.

The issue here is need versus hope. We needed a starting RT, unless, of course, you were cool with Ty starting at RT for the rest of Ryans career which seems to be the case.

8 minutes ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

That’s not really what I was saying..lol.  I was saying if you like all 3, let it play out and if you decide to move up, do so at pick 38 rather than 31.  Would have only cost our 4th round comp pick

That's the most captain hindsight post of all time. So we should have just "hoped" ONE of the RT would still be around for us to HAVE to move up for anyway? Lol. Ok

quotemokc, Romfal and gazoo like this

18 minutes ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

So that you could make a Kendell.Sheffield and the case for not...post?

42 minutes ago, ATLSlobberKnockers said:

That's the most captain hindsight post of all time. So we should have just "hoped" ONE of the RT would still be around for us to HAVE to move up for anyway? Lol. Ok

No..but there were three people tackles and we liked still available in the 2nd round.  No need to move up until 2 are gone.  

40 minutes ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

No..but there were three people tackles and we liked still available in the 2nd round.  No need to move up until 2 are gone.  

Except A)we liked McGary best and he was going 32nd.

B: even if we settled for less you cant force someone to trade with you for what you want to pay!

C) even if we could have used just a 4th to take Ford you would still have made this thread with Kendall.Sheffields name

Romfal likes this

9 minutes ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

And if another team has that exact same plan then you just got yourself into a bidding war. 

ATLSlobberKnockers likes this