JDaveG

Culture, part 2.....

87 posts in this topic

@FalconsIn2012, I think, first noted this line from an ESPN article about Quinn's coaching changes:

"Quinn had to sell Blank on altering some aspect of his program in hopes of triggering a spark."

I wrote a while back about team culture, and how it looked to me like there were some commonalities from a top-down perspective between what we saw in 2013/2014 and what we're seeing in 2018/2019.  After the coaching changes, I'm seeing more, and in light of that line above, I thought I'd throw them in for discussion.

So first, the above quote could be innocuous, or it could be in another context, such as Quinn needing to convince Mr. Blank to let him have a chance to alter the program rather than being fired mid-season.  I don't think so, mainly because Quinn has said he has not discussed his future or where the bar is with Mr. Blank, and I believe him.  But granted, it could be that I'm reading it wrong.  Still, here's how I'm reading it.  Mr. Blank is more involved in the day-to-day operations of the team than he likes to let on.  Here is why I think that, and what I think it means.

Remember back to 2013/2014.  Look at the defense specifically.  We brought in Nolan, a 3-4 specialist who like to attack up front and use a blitzing, attacking style from that 3-4 front to create chaos.  As we saw against Denver in 2012 or 2013 (I forget which), it can work pretty well.  But in 2014 in particular, we heard a lot about the Falcons defense being "multiple."  It was a buzzword.  Like "embrace the suck" or "process" or "empty the bucket."  It didn't mean anything.  Because we weren't "multiple," and we weren't really trying to be.  We had the DC and the head coach saying different things about what type of defense we were running.  We went out and got the pieces up front to run a 3-4 (Jackson, Soliai), but we never really ran one.  It was like there was a disconnect between what some folks wanted to do and others.  At the time, I assumed it was Mike Smith and Nolan.  Now, I'm not so sure it wasn't more top-down.

I already discussed the Julio trade at a time when we needed defense.  @JOEinPHX pointed out the offensive staff did not support the trade, and he would know better than most.  So that was a top-down imposition too.  And if you look at the offense in 2013/2014, we sold out to get Gonzalez back in 2013, went out and got Steven Jackson, etc.  The whole world could see the o-line was in chaos (granted, Mike Tice did a better job than should have been expected with that group of scrubs), and we drafted Jake in 2014, but it was too little, too late.  We were still chasing 2012.

Now look at this team today.  It's specifically built to run a particular scheme, on offense and on defense.  Yet we had this whole "are we a 5-2, are we running nickel, are we a 3-4, are we a 4-3" thing going on the first half of the season.  We had players out of position.  We had all sorts of crap going on, and I said very early in the season "this is not the type of defense Quinn likes to run."  Now, after the bye, we're back to a 4-3 base predominately, they moved a few puzzle pieces around, and all of a sudden the defense is playing out of their minds.  Some people are assuming this is because Quinn was doing too much and needed better coaches to save his job for him.  To them, I say:

"Quinn had to sell Blank on altering some aspect of his program in hopes of triggering a spark."

Why is Quinn having to sell Blank on jack **** pertaining to football operations?  Why does Mr. Blank have any say at all in who does what on this coaching staff, or how it's done?  It doesn't make any sense.

Look at the offense.  Quinn said VERY early on, we're going to run outside zone and the same basic offense we've always run.

Then they go hire Koetter.  Does anyone at all think Dan Quinn thought Dirk Koetter was the guy to come in and run that already-installed offense?  If not, who do you think did think that?

 

 

I want to add, I'm not saying it's Mr. Blank trying to micromanage the team based on his own thoughts.  It very well could be Mr. Blank having someone in his ear.  I have my thoughts about that, but since I generically don't like the guy I think is the main suspect, I'll leave it to myself.  Suffice it to say, there are a lot of people who might fit that role.  But the truth is, we played 8 games as a team with no identity and in utter chaos, just like 2013 and 2014.  Now we've played 2 games with a particular identity and a lot less chaos, and we see a drastic difference.

If I'm right, I hope Mr. Blank is taking notes and learning lessons.  And if I'm wrong, I'd love to hear a better explanation that doesn't include "Dan Quinn doesn't know how to coach football" or "Quinn's system is outdated."  Because we've seen Dan Quinn coach football at multiple levels, and we are seeing his system work right now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I dont think everything has to be a conspiracy man. I believe that DQ saw last season that his scheme was getting shredded and thought he needed to change and if he didnt, the NFL would have him figured out. So he took on the DC role, hired Sutton for some reason to be his "clock management" guy, and turned the defense into a mishmash of ****. That, is what I believe, led to us having no identity. I highly doubt that Blank came in and said to DQ that he has to run some "multiple" defense that had everyone confused. I think it was just DQ going way over the top with it. DQ also had an idiot running the DB's up until the bye so that was an issue as well. I also think after the bye DQ realized his mistake of doing too much and running some dumb **** and went back to what worked before while making coaching changes that have paid off. 

Maybe the quote you are referencing is DQ telling Blank that he can turn this thing around which he did by going back to what worked. I think this is a valuable lesson for DQ that, hopefully, he never forgets. But I disagree with Blank being involved in the day-to-day stuff, maybe Blank got really worried when the stadium started being 90% empty on Sundays and demanded DQ do some **** to fix this. That is my view of this. 

PokerSteve, Kaptain Krazy and Vandy like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, FalconBlood23 said:

I dont think everything has to be a conspiracy man. I believe that DQ saw last season that his scheme was getting shredded and thought he needed to change and if he didnt, the NFL would have him figured out. So he took on the DC role, hired Sutton for some reason to be his "clock management" guy, and turned the defense into a mishmash of ****. That, is what I believe, led to us having no identity. I highly doubt that Blank came in and said to DQ that he has to run some "multiple" defense that had everyone confused. I think it was just DQ going way over the top with it. DQ also had an idiot running the DB's up until the bye so that was an issue as well. I also think after the bye DQ realized his mistake of doing too much and running some dumb **** and went back to what worked before while making coaching changes that have paid off. 

Maybe the quote you are referencing is DQ telling Blank that he can turn this thing around which he did by going back to what worked. I think this is a valuable lesson for DQ that, hopefully, he never forgets. But I disagree with Blank being involved in the day-to-day stuff, maybe Blank got really worried when the stadium started being 90% empty on Sundays and demanded DQ do some **** to fix this. That is my view of this. 

I don't think anything about this is a conspiracy.  I'm commenting on a line in an ESPN article that makes no sense at all:

"Quinn had to sell Blank on altering some aspect of his program in hopes of triggering a spark."

And I'm looking at it in light of the same chaotic stuff we saw in 2014, when the coaching staff seemed to be at odds to even describe, much less implement, what we were trying to do on defense.  

I'm not saying you aren't right -- it absolutely could be that DQ is behind all this.  But I think there are reasons to think he isn't -- Koetter's hiring in particular.  Too much about this doesn't make sense.  If it didn't look familiar, I'd chalk it up to a weird coach.  But I'll say again, it seems to me there is a reason every single coach Mr. Blank has hired, save Petrino who wasn't here long enough, has some immediate, short term success, and then falls off.  It could be he's hiring the wrong coaches.  But I think there is good reason to believe it's because he has too many fingers in the pie.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, JDaveG said:

I don't think anything about this is a conspiracy.  I'm commenting on a line in an ESPN article that makes no sense at all:

"Quinn had to sell Blank on altering some aspect of his program in hopes of triggering a spark."

And I'm looking at it in light of the same chaotic stuff we saw in 2014, when the coaching staff seemed to be at odds to even describe, much less implement, what we were trying to do on defense.  

I'm not saying you aren't right -- it absolutely could be that DQ is behind all this.  But I think there are reasons to think he isn't -- Koetter's hiring in particular.  Too much about this doesn't make sense.  If it didn't look familiar, I'd chalk it up to a weird coach.  But I'll say again, it seems to me there is a reason every single coach Mr. Blank has hired, save Petrino who wasn't here long enough, has some immediate, short term success, and then falls off.  It could be he's hiring the wrong coaches.  But I think there is good reason to believe it's because he has too many fingers in the pie.

Nah man, I think you are connecting dots that are not there for Blank. I believe when DQ announced he will be DC in the offseason, he went out and got DK and Mularkey to cover the offense because they were former head coaches, I bet his thought process was that he will handle the defense and they will handle the offense. This, however, did not work. You also saw DQ hire Sark, an unproven commodity, do you think that was Blank as well? I highly doubt it, man. I think DQ completely misjudged everything from how hard it will be to be DC and HC and changing his defense up so much. Just those 2 things, threw us off the rails. 

The pattern of coaches having success then failing is NFL wide, we ain't the only team with this issue. The lifetime of an NFL head coach is about 5 years which falls in line with our trends. 

dardan and Vandy like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think this is a conspiracy at all. I think you're dead on. And the guy who I think is largely responsible - same guy I think you're talking about - should've been fired a long time ago. Instead he got promoted. That worm needs to go, but since he's such an influential dude, I feel like AB is afraid to cut ties. Screw the competition committee. Get that poison out of Flowery Branch.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, JDaveG said:

I don't think anything about this is a conspiracy.  I'm commenting on a line in an ESPN article that makes no sense at all:

"Quinn had to sell Blank on altering some aspect of his program in hopes of triggering a spark."

And I'm looking at it in light of the same chaotic stuff we saw in 2014, when the coaching staff seemed to be at odds to even describe, much less implement, what we were trying to do on defense.  

I'm not saying you aren't right -- it absolutely could be that DQ is behind all this.  But I think there are reasons to think he isn't -- Koetter's hiring in particular.  Too much about this doesn't make sense.  If it didn't look familiar, I'd chalk it up to a weird coach.  But I'll say again, it seems to me there is a reason every single coach Mr. Blank has hired, save Petrino who wasn't here long enough, has some immediate, short term success, and then falls off.  It could be he's hiring the wrong coaches.  But I think there is good reason to believe it's because he has too many fingers in the pie.

The offseason was so bizarre that I have no doubt there is truth to what you’re saying.  I’ve said similar things as well.  Doesn’t mean it’s 100% true by any means… In fact, I’m sure it isn’t. But this is a classic case of where there’s smoke, there’s fire.

Blank told the media after last season protecting Ryan was our main priority.  So TD & Co. spend most of our FA money and our first 3 rounds of draft capital on OL, despite a defense that clearly needed attention. 
 

Quinn says commitment to outline zone and Shanny/Falcons offense will play a role in who we hire as OC.  So instead of Bevell, Kubiak or Scangarello, we hire two guys Ryan & Blank ate familiar with but who have no WCO pedigree.

 

in 28 games with Manuel/Quinn working together running the defense, we allowed a team to score over 23 points just 4 times.  Then a series of fluke injuries ruins the  defense and Manual is fired With no opportunity with a healthy defense in 2019.  A football guy understands the problems in 2018.  No way Quinn fired Manual.  Blank did.  I also think he told Quinn to act as defensive coordinator or he would be fired.

 I simply can’t see Quinn wanting to take on all those added responsibilities… That is a complete nightmare being both head coach and defensive coordinator and playcaller.  It’s too much to ask.
 

 I call this the season of Blank

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll play devil's advocate and argue the other side.  Perhaps it is the case that Quinn had specific thoughts about a defense where Keanu Neal was healthy, and perhaps Neal's injury was seen as something that could be overcome, hence us sticking with what was not working.  My suspicion that this is wrong is based largely in the fact that the defense wasn't really doing anything when Neal was healthy.  But it's certainly possible.  And perhaps it's the case that Quinn had eyes on Koetter the whole time and the whole "we're still running the same scheme" was just smoke, but obviously, we had to make Koetter conform to our terminology, and we lacked identity on offense for a long part of the season, and arguably we are still not playing up to our potential offensively.  So it seems more of a square peg/round hole issue than anything to me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, JDaveG said:

I don't think anything about this is a conspiracy.  I'm commenting on a line in an ESPN article that makes no sense at all:

"Quinn had to sell Blank on altering some aspect of his program in hopes of triggering a spark."

And I'm looking at it in light of the same chaotic stuff we saw in 2014, when the coaching staff seemed to be at odds to even describe, much less implement, what we were trying to do on defense.  

I'm not saying you aren't right -- it absolutely could be that DQ is behind all this.  But I think there are reasons to think he isn't -- Koetter's hiring in particular.  Too much about this doesn't make sense.  If it didn't look familiar, I'd chalk it up to a weird coach.  But I'll say again, it seems to me there is a reason every single coach Mr. Blank has hired, save Petrino who wasn't here long enough, has some immediate, short term success, and then falls off.  It could be he's hiring the wrong coaches.  But I think there is good reason to believe it's because he has too many fingers in the pie.

First I want to say the original post was great. It got me thinking and I enjoy reading stuff like that. Great job.

In the one above I think you hit the nail on the head. Too many fingers in the pie. How many former GM's are in the front office? 5? 6? Plus Blank was evaluating Quinn with 3 of these guys and not one of them is Dimitroff. So does that mean he has 3 other guys evaluating Dimitroff? In my opinion, Blank is drowning in yes men who are only looking out for themselves.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@JDaveG

Here's my opinion.

It's been stated from day 1 that Quinn reports directly to Blank where I think with Smitty reported to TD and then to Blank.

I don't think Blank is micromanaging Quinn and approving every scheme and position change he's thinking about.

This is more crisis management.  When it went from 1-5 to 1-6 the Falcons were in crisis mode.  I know in my profession when I'm managing something that goes into the red, so to speak, I want to know what the plan is to address it.   I'll have weekly, sometimes daily depending on the severity, progress checks to see things how are going to make sure progress is being made and if things begin to slip I want to know about it immediately.

This sounds like what is happening with Quinn and Blank.  Quinn's plan was run by Blank.  Not so much for approval but to show that Quinn, finally :),  had a plan and this was how he was going to address it.

When you think about it every job wants the person that can handle adversity, even if it they created.  Don't give me the person that digs a hole and can't get out of it.  Give me the person that can dig their way out.

That's when I see the significant progress these last 2 games I've put the fire Quinn talk on hold.  I want to see what happens the rest of the season.  Now I still have my reservations about how a defensive head coach can't run the defense but there is precedent of successful teams where the head coach didn't have an offensive or defensive background.

Blank has always seemed smart enough to realize he doesn't know enough about football to say 'run a 3-4' or run a vertical offense.

Now I will freely admit I do  see Blank being the type to say 'I want you to figure this **** out' and will put pressure on you to perform.  I do see him being a very demanding boss.

putnam6, BendFalcon, dardan and 2 others like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know nothing about Blank's involvement, but...

I think the front office put together a pretty talented group of players on defense, and figured the best thing to do with it was to design a fancy-dan (pun intended), complex method of using them.  We were going to build LOB II...unfortunately, it sucked.

When they saw it was too complex, they put the pieces, like a chessboard, back in their starting spots, sh*t-canned the fancy-dan stuff, and started over with basics and fundamentals, and are now just letting them play football.  

Just look at the tackling.  The first half of the season, not only were guys constantly out of position, but on those rare occasions when they were getting to the ball carrier, they were whiffing on the tackles, all the time every game.  Often it took four and five defenders to bring a runner down.  It was disgusting.  It made all that 'talent' look like crap.  

But now, the past couple games, we're seeing basic lineups and scheme, guys are doing their jobs, and voila!....tackles, hits, and turnovers coming out their ears.   

Let this continue...screw the future drafts...this is fun to watch.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

@JDaveG

Here's my opinion.

It's been stated from day 1 that Quinn reports directly to Blank where I think with Smitty reported to TD and then to Blank.

I don't think Blank is micromanaging Quinn and approving every scheme and position change he's thinking about.

This is more crisis management.  When it went from 1-5 to 1-6 the Falcons were in crisis mode.  I know in my profession when I'm managing something that goes into the red, so to speak, I want to know what the plan is to address it.   I'll have weekly, sometimes daily depending on the severity, progress checks to see things how are going to make sure progress is being made and if things begin to slip I want to know about it immediately.

This sounds like what is happening with Quinn and Blank.  Quinn's plan was run by Blank.  Not so much for approval but to show that Quinn, finally :),  had a plan and this was how he was going to address it.

When you think about it every job wants the person that can handle adversity, even if it they created.  Don't give me the person that digs a hole and can't get out of it.  Give me the person that can dig their way out.

That's when I see the significant progress these last 2 games I've put the fire Quinn talk on hold.  I want to see what happens the rest of the season.  Now I still have my reservations about how a defensive head coach can't run the defense but there is precedent of successful teams where the head coach didn't have an offensive or defensive background.

Blank has always seemed smart enough to realize he doesn't know enough about football to say 'run a 3-4' or run a vertical offense.

Now I will freely admit I do  see Blank being the type to say 'I want you to figure this **** out' and will put pressure on you to perform.  I do see him being a very demanding boss.

The only thing -- and I mean the ONLY thing -- that gives me pause is the ESPN article said Quinn had to "sell" Blank on the changes.

Your post makes a lot of sense, and I think in the main simpler explanations are usually the most likely.  My issue here is why is Quinn having to sell Blank on personnel changes?  Why is Blank involved in that equation at all beyond "tell me what you are doing?"

Because if he's saying "I'm not sure I want you moving Morris back to defense," that is a huge problem IMHO.

It's possible that's not what that means, or that ESPN overstated it.  Granted.

dardan and papachaz like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, octoslash said:

I know nothing about Blank's involvement, but...

I think the front office put together a pretty talented group of players on defense, and figured the best thing to do with it was to design a fancy-dan (pun intended), complex method of using them.  We were going to build LOB II...unfortunately, it sucked.

When they saw it was too complex, they put the pieces, like a chessboard, back in their starting spots, sh*t-canned the fancy-dan stuff, and started over with basics and fundamentals, and are now just letting them play football.  

Just look at the tackling.  The first half of the season, not only were guys constantly out of position, but on those rare occasions when they were getting to the ball carrier, they were whiffing on the tackles, all the time every game.  Often it took four and five defenders to bring a runner down.  It was disgusting.  It made all that 'talent' look like crap.  

But now, the past couple games, we're seeing basic lineups and scheme, guys are doing their jobs, and voila!....tackles, hits, and turnovers coming out their ears.   

Let this continue...screw the future drafts...this is fun to watch.  

Thing is, he's always coached a simple defense.  His philosophy is put his players in position to make plays and let them use their athleticism to make plays.

So why would HE be the one to change that?  The LOB wasn't complex.  It was the opposite of that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, JDaveG said:

The only thing -- and I mean the ONLY thing -- that gives me pause is the ESPN article said Quinn had to "sell" Blank on the changes.

Your post makes a lot of sense, and I think in the main simpler explanations are usually the most likely.  My issue here is why is Quinn having to sell Blank on personnel changes?  Why is Blank involved in that equation at all beyond "tell me what you are doing?"

Because if he's saying "I'm not sure I want you moving Morris back to defense," that is a huge problem IMHO.

It's possible that's not what that means, or that ESPN overstated it.  Granted.

Let's look at it this way.

We all heard before  the Saints game Morris was moving back over to the secondary.  I said it was like throwing deck chairs off the Titanic.

Now imagine pitching that knowing full and well your job is on the line.  'I'm going to fix everything with this horrible defense by moving a couple of coaches around.'

We were skeptic as fans.  Imagine if you're the guy writing the million dollar checks.

By 1-7 Blank may have been skeptical of Quinn's decision making progress when it came to the defense.

JDaveG, dardan, falconsd56 and 1 other like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, JDaveG said:

The only thing -- and I mean the ONLY thing -- that gives me pause is the ESPN article said Quinn had to "sell" Blank on the changes.

Your post makes a lot of sense, and I think in the main simpler explanations are usually the most likely.  My issue here is why is Quinn having to sell Blank on personnel changes?  Why is Blank involved in that equation at all beyond "tell me what you are doing?"

Because if he's saying "I'm not sure I want you moving Morris back to defense," that is a huge problem IMHO.

It's possible that's not what that means, or that ESPN overstated it.  Granted.

Selling Blank on the changes could have meant "Don't fire me yet, let me make some tweaks and if it still goes in the toilet then I've done all I could do." Remember, at 1-7 everyone had leaks since the season was toast Dan would get the boot after the Saints game OR his faith would be sealed at that point till black Monday. Since Dan reports directly to Blank he has to say something when Blank says "You got any last options before we (I mean I) start looking at alternatives?"  

JDaveG, FalconBlood23 and MSalmon like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, raumin said:

Selling Blank on the changes could have meant "Don't fire me yet, let me make some tweaks and if it still goes in the toilet then I've done all I could do." Remember, at 1-7 everyone had leaks since the season was toast Dan would get the boot after the Saints game OR his faith would be sealed at that point till black Monday. Since Dan reports directly to Blank he has to say something when Blank says "You got any last options before we (I mean I) start looking at alternatives?"  

I mentioned that above, and it is absolutely true that this could be the case.

But again, Quinn said in multiple public statements that he and Blank have not discussed his future with the organization, so either he's lying or that wasn't the context.  And I don't see why he'd out and out lie about that.  I can see him saying "I'm not going to discuss what Mr. Blank and I talk about," but why lie?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll also say this -- if I'm right and someone is in Mr. Blank's ear about staffing, scheme, etc., whoever that someone is will likely be in for a rude awakening after the season.  Because if I'm right about that, it's clear Mr. Blank was getting horrible advice from that person.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My .02 is we wanted Kubiak and once Denver blocked us we sort of had a bad Plan B with Dirk or OCs familiar with Matt.

Dan tried to have security with a guy that knows how to run the ball with his past offenses in Mularkey.

The lack of the run game has been rather troubling but consistently forcing it on first down is also not helping. IMO you only do that if you are actually good at it otherwise it’s wasting downs to burn time. Ryan called those dirty runs but if the game is out of hand you can’t do that. The defense has stepped up and allowed us to try to run the ball more basically.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Blank is a hand's on owner.  Everyone has seen it.  Some think that's good, and others think that's bad.  I happen to be in the camp that thinks that it's bad.  Whatever the case, if you want to point fingers, Blank should be at the top of the list.

FalconsIn2012 likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree with a lot of this and said as much earlier in the season that Blank is an issue. He got caught chasing 2012 with Smitty and was chasing 2016 with DQ. Bringing Koetter and Mularkey in was a "Hey these guys worked here before, they should work again" move, despite Bevell being the better fit. I also think DQ's hesitation with Koetter was his lack of running game history, which is how Mularkey came about. The problem has been Koetter's lack of creativity, which has actually improved the last two games. 

Blank gets impatient. I get it. But he hires HC's for a reason. Let them do their job and stop meddling. If he keeps the staff, let them do things their way. Koetter can draw up some nice passing games. Mularkey can draw up some nice rushing attacks. Let them do it how they see fit. Stop trying to force people to run Kyle's offense. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, FalconBlood23 said:

Nah man, I think you are connecting dots that are not there for Blank. I believe when DQ announced he will be DC in the offseason, he went out and got DK and Mularkey to cover the offense because they were former head coaches, I bet his thought process was that he will handle the defense and they will handle the offense. This, however, did not work. You also saw DQ hire Sark, an unproven commodity, do you think that was Blank as well? I highly doubt it, man. I think DQ completely misjudged everything from how hard it will be to be DC and HC and changing his defense up so much. Just those 2 things, threw us off the rails. 

The pattern of coaches having success then failing is NFL wide, we ain't the only team with this issue. The lifetime of an NFL head coach is about 5 years which falls in line with our trends. 

A lot of people including the OP thought this move was bizarre, even for DQ. He insisted that we were going to continue running the outside zone scheme that had worked so well for us and, specifically, a scheme that Ryan thrived in. Anybody with an iota of knowledge about schemes and the coaches than run them, at the very least, had doubts about the Koetter hire. Sark may have been new to the NFL, but his offense was based on WCO concepts, which is almost entirely different from DK.

If he wanted former head NFL coaches, why not wait for Kubiak? There would have been no learning curve and he's a Super Bowl winning HC. If he wanted experience and familiarity, why not go with Bevell, another WCO coach?

OP makes a lot of sense.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Who knows what's really going on. It's all speculation at this point. That being said, @JDaveG, you've been onto something for a while now. I agree with you that Blank is definitely part of the problem. 

Frankly for me, I'd like to know who actually made the decision to hire Koetter...because THAT is the biggest mistake of the offseason IMO. And I'm torn at this point, because if Quinn stays, Koetter stays. And even if the team is better next year, the offense will be very "meh" with no running game and poor pass protection as a result. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JDaveG said:

I'll also say this -- if I'm right and someone is in Mr. Blank's ear about staffing, scheme, etc., whoever that someone is will likely be in for a rude awakening after the season.  Because if I'm right about that, it's clear Mr. Blank was getting horrible advice from that person.

Who is it you think it is JDave don’t hold back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ergo Proxy said:

My .02 is we wanted Kubiak and once Denver blocked us we sort of had a bad Plan B with Dirk or OCs familiar with Matt.

Dan tried to have security with a guy that knows how to run the ball with his past offenses in Mularkey.

The lack of the run game has been rather troubling but consistently forcing it on first down is also not helping. IMO you only do that if you are actually good at it otherwise it’s wasting downs to burn time. Ryan called those dirty runs but if the game is out of hand you can’t do that. The defense has stepped up and allowed us to try to run the ball more basically.

The last couple of weeks have shown a few WCO wrinkles into Koetter's scheme: Ryan rollouts, receivers running crossing patterns, a few zone blocking runs to the outside (though not enough even though they are successful!) Maybe Koetter is finally seeing what works....after 8 weeks.

Schwarzwald and dardan like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Jesus said:

The last couple of weeks have shown a few WCO wrinkles into Koetter's scheme: Ryan rollouts, receivers running crossing patterns, a few zone blocking runs to the outside (though not enough even though they are successful!) Maybe Koetter is finally seeing what works....after 8 weeks.

Either that or someone else is possibly calling offensive plays right now

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, JD dirtybird21 said:

Either that or someone else is possibly calling offensive plays right now

That's possible too. Is it Mularkey or Knapp? Who knows? It wouldn't be a surprise to see Koetter get a college gig in January.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now