Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Schwarzwald

Lindstrom Update

29 posts in this topic

So, maybe Chris heals in time to play the final 4 games?

Man, what a bummer for his rookie year. If he can get any game reps this year it’d be something to build with forward.

Kaleb needed more work as a rookie, but we’ve also missed the potential stabilizing force Chris was projecting to be.

I’m rather confident in the OL moving forward if Kaleb keeps trending well and Chris gets his feet back under him. Only real question becomes Mack’s remaining years vs the price.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Ergo Proxy said:

So, maybe Chris heals in time to play the final 4 games?

Man, what a bummer for his rookie year. If he can get any game reps this year it’d be something to build with forward.

Kaleb needed more work as a rookie, but we’ve also missed the potential stabilizing force Chris was projecting to be.

I’m rather confident in the OL moving forward if Kaleb keeps trending well and Chris gets his feet back under him. Only real question becomes Mack’s remaining years vs the price.

Jury is still out on the entire Oline. Don't be shocked if we've been Troffed again.

Flying Falcon likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

Jury is still out on the entire Oline. Don't be shocked if we've been Troffed again.

Rookies were gonna be rookies. If you merely move on from Carpenter, you immediately can run outside zone again with Lindstrom.

We just saw what difference coaching can make on defense. Right scheme for your personnel and correct playcalling, etc.

Falcons need to strongly consider and look into what it would take to get a legit WCO OC back in here that utilizes outside zone again. Kubiak anyone?

Jury out? I like their chances. Good unit play is lacking. Individually, McGary has taken his lumps and shown improvement. Lindstrom is gonna be better than either OG we rolled out with this year. Shame we haven’t been able to evaluate the future outlook on the line but I like it much better with him back in the trenches.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, JUST SOME GUY said:

I feel like brown and McGary are starting to work better together... do we put Lindstrom at left guard?

Brown should just move over. Stash your worst OG between your 2 best linemen. Chris took every rep at RG and he needs to get back to what he was doing before the injury week 1. I don’t see him coming back and being asked to play LG just to keep the right side consistent. That’s a short-sighted type decision during a lost season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Ergo Proxy said:

Rookies were gonna be rookies. If you merely move on from Carpenter, you immediately can run outside zone again with Lindstrom.

We just saw what difference coaching can make on defense. Right scheme for your personnel and correct playcalling, etc.

Falcons need to strongly consider and look into what it would take to get a legit WCO OC back in here that utilizes outside zone again. Kubiak anyone?

Jury out? I like their chances. Good unit play is lacking. Individually, McGary has taken his lumps and shown improvement. Lindstrom is gonna be better than either OG we rolled out with this year. Shame we haven’t been able to evaluate the future outlook on the line but I like it much better with him back in the trenches.

The oline as a whole has been solid the last few games.....minus the rams game.

 

They have not been perfect but they have not been a liability for the last several games....Rams game not withstanding

Schwarzwald and PokerSteve like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, falconsd56 said:

The oline as a whole has been solid the last few games.....minus the rams game.

 

They have not been perfect but they have not been a liability for the last several games....Rams game not withstanding

They were putrid st run blocking last week and nearly every other game this year

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Ergo Proxy said:

Rookies were gonna be rookies. If you merely move on from Carpenter, you immediately can run outside zone again with Lindstrom.

We just saw what difference coaching can make on defense. Right scheme for your personnel and correct playcalling, etc.

Falcons need to strongly consider and look into what it would take to get a legit WCO OC back in here that utilizes outside zone again. Kubiak anyone?

Jury out? I like their chances. Good unit play is lacking. Individually, McGary has taken his lumps and shown improvement. Lindstrom is gonna be better than either OG we rolled out with this year. Shame we haven’t been able to evaluate the future outlook on the line but I like it much better with him back in the trenches.

I think Kubiak legitimately does not want to be a HC again in the NFL. That could change, but the guy has had to had offers through the roof but just hasn’t taken the jump. It may not be as easy as offering him a deal “he can’t refuse”.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Ergo Proxy said:

So, maybe Chris heals in time to play the final 4 games?

Man, what a bummer for his rookie year. If he can get any game reps this year it’d be something to build with forward.

Kaleb needed more work as a rookie, but we’ve also missed the potential stabilizing force Chris was projecting to be.

I’m rather confident in the OL moving forward if Kaleb keeps trending well and Chris gets his feet back under him. Only real question becomes Mack’s remaining years vs the price.

Pretty much what I was saying

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, ChickenBiscuit said:

I think Kubiak legitimately does not want to be a HC again in the NFL. That could change, but the guy has had to had offers through the roof but just hasn’t taken the jump. It may not be as easy as offering him a deal “he can’t refuse”.

C.B. Ergo was saying OC 

PokerSteve and Schwarzwald like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Had my fingers crossed that we could get him back FOR the Thanksgiving game, but having him in to finish the last qtr of the season is good too.

Saints are gonna be looking for blood and back pay on national television and I have a feeling they are going to draw it from the right side of our Oline.

Schwarzwald and PokerSteve like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

They were putrid st run blocking last week and nearly every other game this year

I’ll agree with his comments regarding the pass blocking at least. That has picked up since Rams.

However, the run game just hasn’t been there and that’s exactly why I think the shift back to West Coast and zone blocking; especially in the outside zone that we don’t run now, is the way to best utilize the lineman we have (sans Carp).

Cole World and PokerSteve like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, ChickenBiscuit said:

I think Kubiak legitimately does not want to be a HC again in the NFL. That could change, but the guy has had to had offers through the roof but just hasn’t taken the jump. It may not be as easy as offering him a deal “he can’t refuse”.

See below & remember he bailed from the Broncos after being blocked from interviewing with the Falcons.  He is not the OC for Minnesota right now so we can offer him the job; unless for some reason they can block him too?

7 hours ago, Cole World said:

C.B. Ergo was saying OC 

 

4 hours ago, ya_boi_j said:

His play before injury showed how good he can be. He’s only going to get better and will be a key asset going forward

^ that’s my gut on it as well. I think he allowed either just one or no pressures versus the Vikings. Small sample size but it matched his pass blocking prowess from college at least.  

And really, that’s been the main issue with our RG play. You can make the outside zone work but you can’t have wimps in pass protection & try to throw at 40+ times without any run threat.

We don’t have to go back to exclusive outside zone, but having that ability and being able to play some power run football too is a good flexibility. There are several teams that run a hybrid style of Ron blocking. To me that would fit the “rbbc” shift.

I still think the call on Brown was lame on Hill’s touchdown run.

Edited by Ergo Proxy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Ergo Proxy said:

Brown should just move over. Stash your worst OG between your 2 best linemen. Chris took every rep at RG and he needs to get back to what he was doing before the injury week 1. I don’t see him coming back and being asked to play LG just to keep the right side consistent. That’s a short-sighted type decision during a lost season.

Ehh... I disagree to a point. Brown has only played good football at RG in his career. He's playing good football right now. Why shake up two positions to bring back Lindstrom? Potentially three with McGary having to adjust as well. OL play is more about stability than pure talent. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, vel said:

Ehh... I disagree to a point. Brown has only played good football at RG in his career. He's playing good football right now. Why shake up two positions to bring back Lindstrom? Potentially three with McGary having to adjust as well. OL play is more about stability than pure talent. 

The point about Brown having more good film at right guard is why I thought Lindstrom would be groomed to play left. :shrug:

PokerSteve and vel like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Ergo Proxy said:

The point about Brown having more good film at right guard is why I thought Lindstrom would be groomed to play left. :shrug:

Agreed. I think Carpenter beat Brown out for the LG spot because.... Carpenter is a LG and Brown is a RG. It's almost like they didn't think it mattered. Lindstrom hasn't played much NFL ball to be a limited position player like those guys. I think Lindstrom can make the move to LG before Brown can. If not, then we all know Carpenter sucks at LG and if Brown couldn't beat him out there, I'm not convinced we have a solution. Gono? 

Schwarzwald and PokerSteve like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, vel said:

Agreed. I think Carpenter beat Brown out for the LG spot because.... Carpenter is a LG and Brown is a RG. It's almost like they didn't think it mattered. Lindstrom hasn't played much NFL ball to be a limited position player like those guys. I think Lindstrom can make the move to LG before Brown can. If not, then we all know Carpenter sucks at LG and if Brown couldn't beat him out there, I'm not convinced we have a solution. Gono? 

Gono for LG if he bulks up just a little to handle bull rush/power of DTs. He seems like a diamond in the rough and could play almost anywhere on the LOS.

vel and PokerSteve like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Ergo Proxy said:

Gono for LG if he bulks up just a little to handle bull rush/power of DTs. He seems like a diamond in the rough and could play almost anywhere on the LOS.

Don't understand why he doesn't get any looks. Even if just on punt team initially. He showed very well in PS. He's got solid enough size. But I ask the same question as to why they don't play Neasman...

PokerSteve likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All for seeing Lindstrom, even if it's just a few reps to end the season.  As for McGary, dude's had an 'advanced course' in Blocking 101 this year.  He has had to defend against some elite Defensive Linemen this season.  Sure he's gotten burned a few times but look at who's been 'schooling' him: Danielle Hunter (Vikings), Fletcher Cox (Eagles), JJ Watt (Texans), Aaron Donald (Rams), Cameron Jordan (Saints). 

Hopefully we get to see the tandem at the Niners with Lindstrom/McGary playing and I'm sure they will likely get to see Bosa a few times. Not sure if they move Brown to left for Lindstrom or what. I know some people mentioned that Lindstrom would play guard and then move to Center when Mack finishes here. 

Edited by falconfansince66
PokerSteve and Schwarzwald like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Even though Lindstrom has not had the chance to play most of the season, we at least know in the small sample he has shown that it's very promising to see him along this line and as soon as he is fully healthy he should come back to solidify his spot.  

The bonus that I see is that with so many naysayers complaining about the trade back into the 1st for Kaleb, he has shown to have exceeded those fears of failure and held his own, in what a typical first round pick should be expected of.

If we decide to keep Lindstrom at RG, IMO that would allow us to only have to hold a competition at LG to figure out who is best suited to secure the spots and make Oline no longer an issue.  Brown could be a stopgap, if we choose to draft someone else this in 2020, but maybe we keep him and spend a higher pick for Mack's replacement instead?

PokerSteve and Schwarzwald like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Ergo Proxy said:

Gono for LG if he bulks up just a little to handle bull rush/power of DTs. He seems like a diamond in the rough and could play almost anywhere on the LOS.

I didn't even think about that, but that might be a killer idea.  Being able to plug him in there along with Mack and Matthews would limit his learning curve, and be able to allocate monies and picks at other needed places.  Honestly the way this team is playing NOW, it's looking like we might not have many places to find new faces by next year.

Finding a better backup TE would be an issue I feel we need to address immediately next year though.  The fear of losing Hooper in any case has become a huge worry IMO

Schwarzwald likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0