Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
OrthoPTSD

When everything is going good

20 posts in this topic

I'm curious as to where we go from here with player personnel. I've been stewing all year with a longing to get it over and dive into the draft. The last 2 weeks have been perplexing to say the least and makes me question my ability to gauge a football team. I am certainly enjoying it though. Surprises are so good no matter where you find them in life and when you get one in a hobby???

That being said, where are our holes if this team is going well?   Talent wise the biggest weakness Ive seen( regardless of inability to gauge football) the last 2 WEEKS are

(1) RB. Is it safe to say that Ollison may be the only guy back on depth chart? Free (gone) Ito (who knows but zero confidance gone) Hill (gonna have to earn it gone). Im glad to have had this depth this year, but they have produced nothing to hang a hat on. The Koetter  running game calling is a  negative variable here but I see nothing but upgradeable.

(2) OG. Correct me if wrong but I believe Carpenter has an out in his contract that would not be prohibitive if cut. Looking forward to Lindstrom return. I could see us taking top guard left with our highest 2nd rounder. Id be OK with Brown being weak link. He will finish a block and is decent getting to second level, with youth to grow.

(3) Really start reaching for straws here, TE  Graham, UDFA developmental score, better than wasting a 5 rounder on. BTW Im hoping he develops  the way NE would use a guy with his size speed hands. Hope he catches one in the clear.

Its clicking offensively.

DEFENSE:

,(1) DE Vic is gone with hopefully a fat contract for a supplemental pick which 2 weeks ago I would have questioned. How many more sacks can he get? What would procure us a pick? 3 more?Would the Iowa guy at pick 10-12 be there?

(2) Campbell is gone. Once again hopefully with a fat contract. Another pick the way he is paying. Tackle leader and impressive last 2 weeks. Keep piling the stats up bro. Id be tempted to go first round here. Clemson LB?

(3) DT needs infusion of young talent. And when I say infusion I mean one top draft pick. Like this year. But is there anyone in mid first or late second that will make a difference?

(4) CB I'm bullish on Oliver and Sheffield. Continue pilling on high pick DB.

Color me blind? Surprises are great...

Very simply, you continue to add talent.  BPA, favoring the lines is probably the best course.  We are going to lose people because we can't afford to pay them.  Not much that we can do about that at this point.  I would have traded Julio for draft picks in the offseason, but that's not possible anymore.

3 minutes ago, Malachore said:

Most obvious holes to me are G, RB, TE, DT and possibly Safety. 

Biggest hole to me is the cap. In the red next year with 42 players under contract. 12 of em scrubs.

Malachore likes this

I would love Jonathan Taylor in a falcons uniform. Young, strong, great runner. Be cheap for 4-5 years 

Biggest hole is still coaching and consistency on game day.

Theres enough talent here we just need a coach who can use it consistently.If anything bares that out its the last 2 weeks.

Vandy likes this

We need an OC/G with our 2nd,which starting to.look like it will fall at or near 50, with our first rnd being somewhere in the teens. I want.to have the guy on.roster that will replace Mack,and if he can play LG for a year than great. Would love to pick up Swift at the back of 2nd too but would prob have to use a 4-5 to move up ten spots or so. 

17 minutes ago, Malachore said:

Most obvious holes to me are G, RB, TE, DT and possibly Safety. 

We are fine at RB, the rotation should be Ito, Ollison and Hill, for TE we just need a decent blocking TE to back up Hooper, DT we need to big fatties on the line 330 LBS +

3 minutes ago, ATLSlobberKnockers said:

Said.every team he's played for

Carpenter had a few decent years long ago. Getting killed right now.

Jamon has never had a good year. He's a weak link too. Can't be cut though. Troffed.

Vandy likes this

4 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

Carpenter had a few decent years long ago. Getting killed right now.

Jamon has never had a good year. He's a weak link too. Can't be cut though. Troffed.

Brown has been good as.of late. Clearly better than Carp

I think our weakest link are as follow.. DT, S and LB.. on offense we are fine just need to get a running game but we have a lot of talent in the OL.. 

OG and RB on offense, and scheme.

The defense is the bigger question mark.  Looked like everyone up until the last 2 weeks so we'll have to see.

We're almost certainly going to need a DE and DT, 1 LB, and either a legit corner or a rangy playmaking safety.

22 minutes ago, MAD597 said:

We are fine at RB, the rotation should be Ito, Ollison and Hill, for TE we just need a decent blocking TE to back up Hooper, DT we need to big fatties on the line 330 LBS +

Far from fine with that rotation especially if Ito is number one

SirCzah, Malachore and quotemokc like this

2 hours ago, MAD597 said:

I don't believe we are fine with no RB even worthy of being a proven RB2.

I said TE because Hooper isn't under contract for next year yet.

2 hours ago, ATLSlobberKnockers said:

Brown has been good as.of late. Clearly better than Carp

Not saying much, they’ve both been awful. Biggest reason our running game stinks has been our guard and RT play.