Nino11

How Are Guys Rushing The Passer All of a Sudden?

101 posts in this topic

I haven’t rewatched either game vs NO or Carolina but man did the light just come on or was it some new stunts and schemes? Guys are actually flashing when it used to just be Grady

*Old Pappy Falcon* likes this

9 minutes ago, FalconsFanSince194eva said:

I don’t know about NO. But Car line is cheeks. Hopefully they can keep it up. Maybe the law of averages finally caught up?

Man Brees was shook a couple times. I’m so used to him doin that little shuffle in the pocket and hittin a wide open receiver for 25 yards a pop. Plus 6 sacks in back to back games man 

3 minutes ago, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

Coverage is night and day better.

It was Coverage sacks for sure. But is it chicken or egg as far as Better pressure leading to better coverage or vice versa?

dirtybird2k5 and Da_Truth like this

14 minutes ago, Nino11 said:

I haven’t rewatched either game vs NO or Carolina but man did the light just come on or was it some new stunts and schemes? Guys are actually flashing when it used to just be Grady

Right on Nino!

Nino11 likes this

1 minute ago, vel said:

Coverage. Me and @FalconsIn2012 have pointed out the team's pass rush win rate all season. It made no sense. Then the coverage tightens up on the back end and you see that win rate come alive. 

Don't leave me out of this too. I've said for years on this board that the pass rush never stood a chance because there were guys running open right from the snap so QBs weren't forced to hold the ball and give the pass rush a chance. Everyone kept talking about how terrible our line was but I kept looking at it and saying we had talent there that wasn't being given a chance because of the coverage. Now we've got tight coverage and QBs are being forced to hold onto the ball and all of a sudden we're getting sacks.

Cole World, mqg96, CTann and 9 others like this

Quality of the teams, look at who Carolina and New Orleans have played? For the most part nobody. Plus a rookie QB is going to hold the ball longer and with Saints if starting RB is not playing then QB has to pass more which allows team to pin their ears back. 

Edited by Refried Beans

4 minutes ago, vel said:

Coverage. Me and @FalconsIn2012 have pointed out the team's pass rush win rate all season. It made no sense. Then the coverage tightens up on the back end and you see that win rate come alive. 

Definitely... all season QB's had been releasing the ball quickly with our soft coverage. We're not giving them that soft coverage any longer and those quick patterns they brought with their gameplan are not there.

Plus specifically with Brees it seemed we did some things to get pressure up the middle taking away his patented step up in the pocket.

Nino11, NeonDeion, JDaveG and 1 other like this

9 minutes ago, Nino11 said:

It was Coverage sacks for sure. But is it chicken or egg as far as Better pressure leading to better coverage or vice versa?

We had corners playing off, guys not passing off properly in zones, Q’s play calling was exposing the back end — QB’s didn’t have to hold the ball against us at all. Linemen didn’t have the opportunity to get any kind of rush on.

There’a of course more to it. Clay is seeing the field more; there’s more creativity in the personnel packages — but the difference in coverage is setting everything else off.

12 minutes ago, Nino11 said:

At the beginning of the season Quinn was overly focused on the run and stayed in more soft zone coverage.

Towards the end of the Eagles game they figured out Quinn was giving up the automatic 7 yard pass.  The Colts saw this and created a game plan around it and then teams followed suit.

After 2 games of the defense getting killed with this players started overreacting and coverage issues got much worse.

I think starting with the Cards game the defense started getting back to more man coverage which stopped the bleeding.  Then over the bye Morris went over to the secondary and the coverage has been much better.

Now that a QB can't get rid of the ball in 3 seconds the pass rush has been able to get home.

papachaz, Chaz, falconsd56 and 2 others like this

As @PeytonMannings Forehead @vel @Falconsfan567 all said: coverage. The line itself wasn’t as bad as some made it out to be. QBs almost always had an easy outlet on every play even as soon as a play started. The coverage is much tighter, better communication & understanding of what’s supposed to be execute, and now QBs no longer have the easy way out. Sure, guys on the line are also playing better and more motivated, but I believe the tweaks with coverage is what’s making the difference.

I’m in a minority here, but now that Chase Young to ATL is out of the realm of possibility, Jeff Okudah is my #1 target (or whoever the best CB comes to be) even over the board’s favorite, Derrick Brown. Give me a lockdown corner unless a true stud DE can be had. 

Guys in the secondary are finally being allowed to play to their strengths which is giving the guys on the DLine more time to get to the QB

Nino11 likes this

21 hours ago, vel said:

Yep...it’s why I prioritize my defense back to front.  Great pass rush is rendered irrelevant if the pass is out in under 2 seconds.  

Belichick pays his secondary around 45 million, tops in the league.  His DL near the bottom.  You can scheme pressure if the back end is on point

MSalmon likes this

1 hour ago, Nino11 said:

Man Brees was shook a couple times. I’m so used to him doin that little shuffle in the pocket and hittin a wide open receiver for 25 yards a pop. Plus 6 sacks in back to back games man 

It also helps that Brees can't seem to throw the ball beyond 15 yards anymore.

Rings and Nino11 like this

1 hour ago, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

Kamara played when we faced the Saints.

Not to mention in the two games before playing us, Latavius Murray was coming off of this:

@ CHI
27 carries - 119 rush yards - 4.41 ypc - 2 rush TD
5 rec - 31 rec yards

vs. ARI
21 carries - 102 rush yards - 4.86 ypc - 1 rush TD
9 rec - 55 rec yards - 1 red TD

So it ain't like they were devoid of a capable running game just because Kamara wasn't back to full strength yet or whatever he was trying to imply.

2 hours ago, Nino11 said:

Well we had guys close to the top in pass rush win rate(Takk was top 10). I would assume having an extra second or 2 is allowing the pass rush to get home.

I've seen Campbell blitzing a bit as well, and maybe that's freeing up a 1v1.

Nino11 likes this

2 hours ago, Nino11 said:

If I may wax philosophical for a moment... What I have learned in 47 years of watching this game is that the difference between success and failure is often microscopic. Anyone who thought the Falcons, with their roster and recent history, were as bad as they looked the first half of the season really doesn't understand team sports. Look back over the first half with a microscope and you'll find individual players who were inches from making sacks, timing that just didn't swing their way, drops and slightly missed tackles and delayed communication... and yes, some really badly blown assignments and coaching. But most of those things are easily correctable with the right coach in your ear, or an "ah ha' moment of realizing what you were doing wrong, or one more game of playing together. It can just come together like that and then suddenly... the team is firing on all cylinders again. It requires a delicate balance of communication, timing, and skill... coaching, confidence, and some luck. Such is pro football. 

Nino11 likes this

1 hour ago, Refried Beans said:

Kamara ran the ball 4 times all game. 

Noted, but if I recall the Saints didn't run the ball much... I bet Murray didn't have many more carries either.  

Saint's were playing from behind.  They had to pass.  Kamara had to have at least 7-10 catches I would think.