2_legit_2_legit_2_quit

Quinn and the bigger picture

36 posts in this topic

I don't think we as fans are looking at Quinn's performance and whether or not he should keep his job the right way. Instead of taking a microscopic view and changing opinions on a game by game basis, we should look at overall performance. Since his historic loss in the SB, do you think Quinn's record and performance warrants him getting another season? I do not. I think he will forever have the stink of that SB loss on him and the team as a whole over the past 3 season is regressing instead of making progress.

Overall he went 8-8, went to the Super Bowl, won a wild card game away and went back to the Divisional round, had a season ruined by injuries, and right now is 3-7.

Overall I would say he deserves another season. Sure if this season just continues to suck maybe not but you can’t disregard how dominant his team has been the last two weeks and really that last two and a half weeks.

JDaveG, Nino11 and FalconsIn2012 like this

4 minutes ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

I think all you need to put things in perspective is ask yourself what if Quinn stays but Ulbrich and Morris leave?

I am pretty sure Ulbrich and Morris are earning themselves promotions right now. 

I don’t think anybody should be fired. We obviously have the talent. So TD should be safe. If we didn’t, these guys wouldn’t have been able to turn it around midseason. We obviously have the right coaches. If we didn’t, this team would’ve fallen apart.

It’s a lost season, but everybody learned a lot about themselves. If I was Blank, I wouldn’t fire a single person. They’ll right the ship.

In his 5 seasons with the Falcons DQ's teams have had too many extended losing streaks.  Time to go. (Edit - fixed 2019 stats)

2015 - 7-9.  6 game losing streak, and 7 losses in 8 games

2016 - 11-5. Superbowl season.  2 game losing streak

2017 - 10-6. 3 game losing streak, and 4 losses in 5 games

2018 - 7-9.  5 game and 3 game losing streaks.

2019 - To Date:  3-7 with 6 game losing streak.

Edited by brewman

2 minutes ago, brewman said:

In his 5 seasons with the Falcons DQ's teams have had too many extended losing streaks.  Time to go.

2019 - To Date:  2-7 with 7 game losing streak.

We are 3-7.

roguebeaver likes this

2 minutes ago, brewman said:

In his 5 seasons with the Falcons DQ's teams have had too many extended losing streaks.  Time to go.

2019 - To Date:  2-7 with 7 game losing streak.

2019 was only a 6 game losing streak. 

roguebeaver likes this

I think he was "over coaching" players and confusing them and instead of simplifying what he was trying to do , he was hard headed and continued to believe players would "get it" at the expense of several unwarranted loses. I dont understand how Seattle players could understand the terminology and the Atlanta players could not, but the Atlanta players were clearly confused. I am glad they are all on the same page now but it appears to be too late. Unless they run the table and dominate throughout I just dont see Quinn coming back. Falcons still struggled to run the football yesterday, so again still say some front office peeps and scouts gotta kick the bricks too.  

vitaman likes this

Just now, PHALCONABERNATHY said:

Do we suck or not? Quinn is the most inconsistent coach ever. Only the Falcons can go from the worst NFL team to the best when it’s too late. Are we cursed or is it Quinn?

We are what our record says we are. We are 3-7, so we suck. That being said, we are getting much better. The guys that got thrown into the fire are playing much better. 

20 minutes ago, 32wood84white said:

Overall he went 8-8, went to the Super Bowl, won a wild card game away and went back to the Divisional round, had a season ruined by injuries, and right now is 3-7.

Overall I would say he deserves another season. Sure if this season just continues to suck maybe not but you can’t disregard how dominant his team has been the last two weeks and really that last two and a half weeks.

I notice you don't provide the reason/rationale for why THIS season started 1-7.  Care to spin that into a "reality" that makes it seem more like 7-1 than the real 1-7 ?

26 minutes ago, 2_legit_2_legit_2_quit said:

I don't think we as fans are looking at Quinn's performance and whether or not he should keep his job the right way. Instead of taking a microscopic view and changing opinions on a game by game basis, we should look at overall performance. Since his historic loss in the SB, do you think Quinn's record and performance warrants him getting another season? I do not. I think he will forever have the stink of that SB loss on him and the team as a whole over the past 3 season is regressing instead of making progress.

I agree that we have to take a look at the whole picture, with the only real outlier is 2018 due to injuries.  I am a believer that consistency at the top of an NFL franchise is the best way to garner success, and am glad Blank didn't jump off the boat due to the first half of the season, as painful as it was.  There is still some time to see how the end of the year shakes out, but the team isn't just playing competitive football right now, they are playing at an extremely high level.  I would say if we continue on with this level of play, Quinn stays, which I would be okay with.

1 hour ago, pzummo said:

I am pretty sure Ulbrich and Morris are earning themselves promotions right now. 

I don’t think anybody should be fired. We obviously have the talent. So TD should be safe. If we didn’t, these guys wouldn’t have been able to turn it around midseason. We obviously have the right coaches. If we didn’t, this team would’ve fallen apart.

It’s a lost season, but everybody learned a lot about themselves. If I was Blank, I wouldn’t fire a single person. They’ll right the ship.

Ulbrich and Morris aren't getting fired.

People are going to notice this defensive Renaissance the Falcons have had the more they keep it up.  The Falcons were one of the worst defenses in the league. It gets handed over to Ulbrich and Morris and now it's one of the best?  Same players.  Incredibly better results.  100% coaching.

As I mentioned.  If the defense keeps this up people will notice and it's only a matter of time before someone comes to poach them. 

roguebeaver, FalconJim and vitaman like this

1 hour ago, m2Falcons said:

I notice you don't provide the reason/rationale for why THIS season started 1-7.  Care to spin that into a "reality" that makes it seem more like 7-1 than the real 1-7 ?

There is a ton of things that made this season start 1-7. DQ spoke in the off-season of reevaluating his defense because the league is catching up, his changes didn’t work, why did it not work? Was it all scheme? Was it the players who have admitted to trying to do to much? Was it a combo of both? I would say it’s a combo of both. Then you have games like Arizona. Free fumbles at the goal line, we miss the game tying EP. sure the defense was horrible but as we now know Ulbrich was calling the plays that game and we still performed terribly and the offense fell just short. 

There are tons and tons of reasons for the 1-7 start. As the head coach that falls on you ultimately. But as the head coach when you stomp two teams out that also falls on you ultimately. I’m glad we have a head coach that knows how to fix it. We can all complain about how long it took but his job is to get the best out of this team and from the looks of it, that may start to happen.

Its a shame we couldn’t figure out a way to pull off the Cardinals and Colts game and honestly the titans game. Heck we play only half pathetic in that game we may have won. 5-5 or 6-4 we are right there looking like a dangerous team after the last two weeks. 3-7 our playoff hopes are hanging by a thread.

2 hours ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

I think all you need to put things in perspective is ask yourself what if Quinn stays but Ulbrich and Morris leave?

That's a fair point but it's not like Ulbrich and Morris were hot commodities before Quinn hired them. If they were to leave, theoretically Quinn could hire new guys to do a credible job at DC. It's not like Manuel did a bad job, either. The most important thing is Quinn never ever try to be DC again. 

I've been one who wanted Quinn fired. I'm still not sure if he is the right guy. However, I'm impressed with the recent turnaround. When faced with adversity and harsh criticism, Quinn has responded. Maybe he has learned from the inconsistency. Replacing Quinn with someone new is as big a gamble as keeping him for one more season. I also think that it is becoming more apparent that the players have played a big role in playing well either. The team mentality seems to of changed recently, so maybe they keep up the good work this time around. 

12 minutes ago, Summerhill said:

That's a fair point but it's not like Ulbrich and Morris were hot commodities before Quinn hired them. If they were to leave, theoretically Quinn could hire new guys to do a credible job at DC. It's not like Manuel did a bad job, either. The most important thing is Quinn never ever try to be DC again. 

And that's the rub, right?

Your defensive HC can never run the defense again.  You don't have that stability on his side of the ball so the coordinators become almost as important of a hire as the HC.

Now I'm not saying it can't be done.  Look at Baltimore.  Harbaugh had a special teams background and they've been good for a long time.

I just worry if the Falcons stick with Quinn and the team starts out 1-3 next season.  EVERY year with Quinn the defense always starts slow with this season being the extreme example.

Even if they don't lose another game this season Quinn has lost the benefit of the doubt.  If the defense struggles next year Quinn can't step in and take over.  

Summerhill likes this

4 hours ago, brewman said:

In his 5 seasons with the Falcons DQ's teams have had too many extended losing streaks.  Time to go. (Edit - fixed 2019 stats)

2019 - To Date:  3-7 with 6 game losing streak.

8-8 in 2015.

1 hour ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

And that's the rub, right?

Your defensive HC can never run the defense again.  You don't have that stability on his side of the ball so the coordinators become almost as important of a hire as the HC.

Now I'm not saying it can't be done.  Look at Baltimore.  Harbaugh had a special teams background and they've been good for a long time.

I just worry if the Falcons stick with Quinn and the team starts out 1-3 next season.  EVERY year with Quinn the defense always starts slow with this season being the extreme example.

Even if they don't lose another game this season Quinn has lost the benefit of the doubt.  If the defense struggles next year Quinn can't step in and take over.  

If Quinn stays and starts slow next year, get rid of him, if he doesn't make the playoffs. But I think this should be his last year of keeping his job with while not making the playoffs. 

4 hours ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

This,

I rather keep Morris and Ulbrich rather than DQ. 5 years and he has failed to do what he was brought in to do. We gotta get rid of Koetter too, he has been corrosive to the running game. 

vitaman likes this

9 hours ago, JDaveG said:

Wouldn’t “overall” include the Super Bowl season too?

I credit that more to Kyle but the key phrase was “since the historic loss in the SB”.

Because we could also include the terrible season before the SB run.

Edited by 2_legit_2_legit_2_quit