jlrfalcon

Could the Saints go 1-5 while we go 6-0 and give us the division?

65 posts in this topic

If the Falcons beat the Colts and Cardinals then it's a lot more realistic. Because of those losses, Falcons are not making the playoffs even if they finish 6-0. Saints are going to have at least 10 wins and the 2 wild card teams (Vikings/Seahawks) have the h2h tiebreakers and will also likely finish with at least 10 wins.

WhenFalconsWin likes this

It's a weird league. The Saints are hardly a Super Bowl team, but, they aren't going to go 1-5 down the stretch. 

A loss to Tampa after the teeth-kicking we gave them last week would have likely tightened some booty holes in stank town, but, the team just got far too big of a jump on us. 

I'd like to see these Falcons go 9-7. Whatever happens as a result of that, I'm O.K. with. Unless you (a) need a QB or (b) are within earshot of a player like Chase Young... it's just not hoping for a loss. 

If we go 9-7, I wouldn't consider this season a loss. It's technically a 2-game improvement over last year. The Falcons still have a HOF QB in his prime under center, and is flanked with weapons at the XYZ (Julio, Rid, Hoop) playing at high levels the next 3 years. 

The Panthers are about to enter a re-build, the Bucs can't seem to understand the point of playing football, and while still dangerous, the Drew Brees era is quickly coming to a close. The Falcons have a great window to make a run at the Lombardi this coming decade. It's also Matt's last window in his prime. Rooting for this team to pick top-5 would be borderline disastrous, unless you wanted to blow the operation up. 

Saints will capture the crown this year, but I expect the taxman to be coming for them very soon. With Tampa and Carolina in the dumps, if we can hold the rope and do the right things, we'll be alright. Let's not forget: prior to this mini-run by the Saints, they went 7-9 3 consecutive years. Sometimes, it just happens in the NFL. 

17 hours ago, jlrfalcon said:

For us to win the division, the Saints would need to go 1-5 (or 0-6) to finish 2019 while we go 6-0.

Their remaining schedule:

vs Carolina - could Kyle Allen have a rebound game?

at Atlanta - under our control and would have the tiebreaker if both of us finish 9-7

vs. San Francisco - certainly a hard game and maybe Shanahan owes us one?

vs. Indianapolis - they beat us and they are actually at the top of the AFC South

at Tennessee - a road game but might be their easiest one remaining

at Carolina - I really fear us wishing this week that Carolina is not playing 2nd string

Carolina also has to not go 6-0 during their remaining games but we would give them 1 loss in a few weeks when we beat them and they could still go 4-1 in their other 5 games and still lose the division to us on tiebreakers.  They still have Seattle and Indianapolis to possibly provide the one loss (or lose one to New Orleans as long as New Orleans loses its other 5).

What would really be great is if the NFC South finishes as a 3-way tie at 9-7 between Carolina, New Orleans and us but only us actually getting to the playoffs (NFC West runner up-Seattle/San Francisco and NFC North runner-up-Green Bay/Minnesota would be wild cards)

Tampa bay let us down big time

3 hours ago, MilleniumFalcon said:

If the Falcons beat the Colts and Cardinals then it's a lot more realistic. Because of those losses, Falcons are not making the playoffs even if they finish 6-0. Saints are going to have at least 10 wins and the 2 wild card teams (Vikings/Seahawks) have the h2h tiebreakers and will also likely finish with at least 10 wins.

And this is why I want this team to only beat the Saints the rest of the year. There is basically no avenue to secure a playoff spot. Finishing 8-8 would bring no changes and essentially a year would be wasted. Get as a high a pick you can.

MilleniumFalcon likes this

8 hours ago, Faithful Falcon said:

Don't forget the Cardinals. We should have beat them, the Seahawks, and the Colts. We actually started playing good the second half of the Seahawks game.

Yeah, the dang cardinals......another bad loss.   We just dug a hole crawled in it and somehow buried ourselves all on our own

Faithful Falcon likes this

8 hours ago, 4dabirds said:

If this team was 4-6, then I'd have a glimmer of hope, but 9-7 is not going to do it. Maybe the silver lining is that the players and coaches gain a lot of confidence and learn a valuable lesson going into next season. Maybe this team will be hungry and not complacent at the start of the 2020 season. Maybe this defense can play even better than it currently is going into next season. I myself think that the team will play better next year provided they can build off of what is happening now. I'm not sure that radical changes need to happen in order for this team to reach the top, they just need to learn from this season, and not repeat the same mistakes, and maybe find a way to add some complementary pieces.

I’ve called for all kinds of changes in various fits of rage but truthfully I don’t know that a wholesale rebuild is gonna be the answer.  You may be right, build off it, learn from it, add a piece or 2 and never let yourself fall in this hole again

I mean they went undefeated with Teddy ******* Bridgewater. I don't think the Saints are an underdog against any of their remaining opponents. We may have caught them sleeping after the bye because of our record but I expect the Thanksgiving game to be a lot closer

5 hours ago, MilleniumFalcon said:

I agree w your statement but just think.....if we ran table and saints stumbled to 9-7.....that would be hilarious to watch that meltdown!!

4 hours ago, Falcons Fan MVP said:

Tampa bay let us down big time

Yes they did.....Denver hurt too but I really thought Tampa might kickem while they were down

TXAintsHater likes this

3 hours ago, BUBBASBEANS said:

Yes they did.....Denver hurt too but I really thought Tampa might kickem while they were down

I seriously doubt we run the table anyways. 7-9 or 8-8 seems much more likely if we bring our A game.

19 hours ago, TheFalcoholic said:

We are not going to make the playoffs. It would take a miracle. Is it possible? Sure. Mathematically there is a small chance. But we all know this season was lost in the first half.

I am just enjoying seeing us play good football. I am taking it all in and if we can keep this up for the remainder of the year, I think you keep this staff, improve the roster in the offseason and give them one more year to turn it around and make the playoffs next year. No playoffs and DQ is gone.

If that miracle was to happen, and we make it in, y'all quote this post and make me out to be a fool. I will love it.

it is time to lose a game so we don't have a winning season time.  

this is one of the weirdest seasons I have seen in a long time.. I mean it is up there with the MV7 debacle .....  <_< 

18 hours ago, MilleniumFalcon said:

Yup. Playoff talk is not even a pipe dream at this point. 

Glad the boys are playing well, but it's a little bit to late now.