freefall

Let me get this straight...

74 posts in this topic

In 2016 the defense got better when Quinn took over plays calling(they still ended up 27th in scoring defense so it didn’t take much to improve I guess).  Quinn got credit for that so be it.  2019 first 8 games the defense was a disaster.  Some claimed it was too much responsibility for a HC to be calling plays at the same time.  Ok so that wasn’t an issue in 2016 but it was in 2019.  Whatever.  Now past 2 games Quinn gave up plays calling and the defense played light out.  Some wants Quinn to get credit for that too.  So Quinn gets credit when he calls plays and the defense play well, and he also gets credit for giving up calling plays and the defense plays well?  I guess it doesn’t matter what Quinn does as long as the defense plays well the credit goes to him.  I suppose being a HC that kind of perks go to him...except his defense for the most part has been lackluster since he got here.  Yet somehow it’s the other coaches faults and he had to fire them/let them go or that the players failed him.  So credits go to Quinn and blames go to other coaches and players.  Make sense.

Faithful Falcon and Osiruz like this

16 minutes ago, freefall said:

In 2016 the defense got better when Quinn took over plays calling(they still ended up 27th in scoring defense so it didn’t take much to improve I guess).  Quinn got credit for that so be it.  2019 first 8 games the defense was a disaster.  Some claimed it was too much responsibility for a HC to be calling plays at the same time.  Ok so that wasn’t an issue in 2016 but it was in 2019.  Whatever.  Now past 2 games Quinn gave up plays calling and the defense played light out.  Some wants Quinn to get credit for that too.  So Quinn gets credit when he calls plays and the defense play well, and he also gets credit for giving up calling plays and the defense plays well?  I guess it doesn’t matter what Quinn does as long as the defense plays well the credit goes to him.  I suppose being a HC that kind of perks go to him...except his defense for the most part has been lackluster since he got here.  Yet somehow it’s the other coaches faults and he had to fire them/let them go or that the players failed him.  So credits go to Quinn and blames go to other coaches and players.  Make sense.

Ummm....what???

I'll be honest I didn't read anything u said after I saw everybody who read it was lost...

I will say this... Quinn was **** if u don't ****ed if u don't if we didn't have a winning season because this is proving something I knew.

This team is talented as **** and if we wasn't winning... Its on coaching for whatever reason...

IDC if we win out... Its noooo way in the world we should have been 1-7 ... No one can explain that to me.

As much as I like quinn... I think a new start from him and TD is needed.... A team this talented should not have these lapse

I really don't know or care what exactly the difference is, seems like it's a lot of things. That said, as the HC, DQ will get blame when things are going poorly and get credit when they're going well.  If nothing else give him credit for making the needed changes.

Personally, the changes and the wins are too little too late.  I still want to see him gone.

athell likes this

5 minutes ago, ⚡Slumerican⚡ said:

Quinn went in way over his head trying to be dc and hc.. Several of us feared this before the season, its only become fact the last 2 games 

You're right!  As a HC, Quinn needs to be focused on game/time management as well as the discipline of his players.  Being the DC and HC I believe took his focus off of those prime duties and the past two games show it very much. Look at the discipline the Falcons had today in just getting penalized three times!  (One was a 'bogus' holding call on the OL).  It's great to see that almost every time when the offense makes a great play, it's not being called back because of holding. Also, no defensive holding or P.I. calls being made to go along with their great play.  To me this is showing great discipline that this team has needed almost since its' inception as a team back in '66.

⚡Slumerican⚡ likes this

It's not all coaching. Yes, the coaching adjustments have been major, but I think the bye week allowed the locker room to reset and start over. By that I mean, anyone that has played sports knows that one of the hardest thing to do as a player and a team is to change the momentum of a game and season. Once that snowball of bad starts happening it's extremely difficult to take a deep breathe and reset. It's human nature to start trying to do too much that just compounds the mistakes and makes things worse instead of better and I think that is what we saw during the losing streak. During the bye week the coaches were able to implement the changes they wanted and the players were able to catch their breath and start over with the season like it was game 1 of the season again. I think that is truth to the turnaround.

Guys like @Knight of God, @Vandy, @vel and @TheFatboi can hopefully elaborate on this point.

TheFatboi and Vandy like this

1 minute ago, Falconsfan567 said:

It's not all coaching. Yes, the coaching adjustments have been major, but I think the bye week allowed the locker room to reset and start over. By that I mean, anyone that has played sports knows that one of the hardest thing to do as a player and a team is to change the momentum of a game and season. Once that snowball of bad starts happening it's extremely difficult to take a deep breathe and reset. It's human nature to start trying to do too much that just compounds the mistakes and makes things worse instead of better and I think that is what we saw during the losing streak. During the bye week the coaches were able to implement the changes they wanted and the players were able to catch their breath and start over with the season like it was game 1 of the season again. I think that is truth to the turnaround.

Guys like @Knight of God, @Vandy, @vel and @TheFatboi can hopefully elaborate on this point.

Naw it's coaching too. They aren't playing super soft coverages. Jerome Henderson was terrible, which was the primary issue with the back end of the defense. That's no longer an issue and they are playing more man, which their secondary is suited for. But the reset is also probably true. Getting on the other side of the trade deadline too. Freeman and Vic looked like different players (Free before he got hurt). Confident play because they are not being miscast. 

Vandy, No.11, Falconsfan567 and 2 others like this

2 minutes ago, vel said:

Naw it's coaching too. They aren't playing super soft coverages. Jerome Henderson was terrible, which was the primary issue with the back end of the defense. That's no longer an issue and they are playing more man, which their secondary is suited for. But the reset is also probably true. Getting on the other side of the trade deadline too. Freeman and Vic looked like different players (Free before he got hurt). Confident play because they are not being miscast. 

Yes, the coaching has been major, but we see a different attitude out there too. Guys are playing with an intensity that was lacking.

1 minute ago, Falconsfan567 said:

Yes, the coaching has been major, but we see a different attitude out there too. Guys are playing with an intensity that was lacking.

Why do you think that is?  Vel hit on it with the last sentence in his post...

Falconsfan567 likes this

Just now, athell said:

Why do you think that is?  Vel hit on it with the last sentence in his post...

I agree with what vel said in his last sentence about the guys playing with confidence because they're not being misused. But he also agreed that the bye week reset helped things too like I mentioned. It allowed the players to catch their breathe and reset mentality. They're playing loose and fast and attacking. It's a combination of the coaching putting them in a better position for success but also them being relaxed knowing that they've got nothing to lose. We've even seen that in Dan Quinn's decisions to go for it. He's not being conservative anymore, he's being aggressive and going for it. When was the last time the Falcons were up 26-3 in the 4th quarter and still airing it out? Even in the middle of the 4th quarter down at the goal line we were throwing for the end zone trying to get a touchdown instead of just playing for the field goal. Everyone's mindset has changed for the better and that's bodes well moving forward. If the Falcons keep playing like this you don't fire Quinn. You keep him and the defensive side of the ball in tact.

athell and Vandy like this

4 minutes ago, Falconsfan567 said:

I agree with what vel said in his last sentence about the guys playing with confidence because they're not being misused. But he also agreed that the bye week reset helped things too like I mentioned. It allowed the players to catch their breathe and reset mentality. They're playing loose and fast and attacking. It's a combination of the coaching putting them in a better position for success but also them being relaxed knowing that they've got nothing to lose. We've even seen that in Dan Quinn's decisions to go for it. He's not being conservative anymore, he's being aggressive and going for it. When was the last time the Falcons were up 26-3 in the 4th quarter and still airing it out? Even in the middle of the 4th quarter down at the goal line we were throwing for the end zone trying to get a touchdown instead of just playing for the field goal. Everyone's mindset has changed for the better and that's bodes well moving forward. If the Falcons keep playing like this you don't fire Quinn. You keep him and the defensive side of the ball in tact.

I cannot dispute that the BYE week helped, but I would follow up with why it helped?  There is a path that Quinn surrendered the duties during the BYE week and allowed his assistants to have a much bigger role in the game plan, schemes, and preparation thus resulting in the better results.

I just find it extremely odd that Quinn relinquishes control and all of a sudden we look like a completely different team.  It's night and day.  WHY?!  That's what I can't get past...and if it was these swaps, WHY DID IT TAKE HIM SO LONG?!  WHY WAS HE PLAYING PLAYERS OUT OF POSITION WHEN EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEVERYONE SAW IT BUT HIM?!?!

I hear you, I do, I am just 100% over Dan Quinn.  I want him gone after this season.  He can't deliver on his defensive promises.  He can't.  If a defensive guru can't deliver a defense, what is his point of being here?  People bring up Peyton and the Saints...but the Saints offense during that time (which Peyton has always had control of) was always prolific.  He at least upheld his end...what has Dan upheld?

mqg96, Vandy, HASHBROWN3 and 4 others like this

37 minutes ago, vel said:

This. 

mqg96, HASHBROWN3 and athell like this

45 minutes ago, Falconsfan567 said:

Like you said 567, the reset helped alot. Football is a game of Confidence and momentum. The week off allowed a new perspective to set in. 

26 minutes ago, athell said:

I hear you, I do, I am just 100% over Dan Quinn.  I want him gone after this season.  He can't deliver on his defensive promises.  He can't.  If a defensive guru can't deliver a defense, what is his point of being here?  People bring up Peyton and the Saints...but the Saints offense during that time (which Peyton has always had control of) was always prolific.  He at least upheld his end...what has Dan upheld?

I’m impressed with what I’m been hearing & seeing Raheem Morris doing, Athell.

Quinn better watch his back!

55 minutes ago, Jesus said:

Are you inferring that my ***** is bent?

Please don’t bring your personal physiological problems to this board.