Jump to content

Falcons did not Play a Complete Game Today.


Recommended Posts

Looks like the Falcons will have to spend one of those 2nd Rounders on a RB come April. Cannot go into 2020 without a running game, or it will be more of the same. Hill had his chance to shine today and certainly did not! 

If the OL is the problem, then we need a shifty type RB like Freeman in his prime, not someone who is a cut-and-run type RB. We now officially have no answers currently on the the team at RB for 2020. 

We dominated in this game because the OL is decent at pass block, and we have a elite duo of WRs with Jones/Ridley. We would not have even won this game today against a better team, that could have focused on the passing attack once the they had shut down the run.

This team has relied too long on what was the ghost of Devonta Freeman's elite play, hoping it was some how going to come back to life. The coaching staff and FO really did not have the right to expect that it would. More than anything else I think that is what cost us the 2019 season. There was no back-up plan, did not bring in a veteran through FA or with a trade (Barner not withstanding).

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Run game went to San Francisco.  I'm a little surprised we haven't been able to get more out of the ground attack with all the talk in the offseason about emphasizing it, and the return of Mularkey.  

We dominated this game because of defense. 

They’re running with 3 guys that have barely gotten touches all season. They may be fresh but they haven’t had a single chance to get in a real rhythm week to week. I have zero issue going into next s

5 minutes ago, Cheap Talk said:

Looks like the Falcons will have to spend one of those 2nd Rounders on a RB come April. Cannot go into 2020 without a running game, or it will be more of the same. Hill had his chance to shine today and certainly did not! 

If the OL is the problem, then we need a shifty type RB like Freeman in his prime, not someone who is a cut-and-run type RB. We now officially have no answers currently on the the team at RB for 2020. 

We dominated in this game because the OL is decent at pass block, and we have a elite duo of WRs with Jones/Ridley. We would not have even won this game today against a better team, that could have focused on the passing attack once the they had shut down the run.

This team has relied too long on what was the ghost of Devonta Freeman's elite play, hoping it was some how going to come back to life. The coaching staff and FO really did not have the right to expect that it would. More than anything else I think that is what cost us the 2019 season. There was no back-up plan, did not bring in a veteran through FA or with a trade (Barner not withstanding).

We dominated this game because of defense. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

They’re running with 3 guys that have barely gotten touches all season. They may be fresh but they haven’t had a single chance to get in a real rhythm week to week. I have zero issue going into next season with Ito, Hill and Ollison as a 3 headed rbbc. There’s absolutely no reason to blow another draft pick on a running back

Link to post
Share on other sites

It's so funny how when a running game is ineffective the reason always has to be the running back to people on this board lol "CHANGE THE BACK! THAT WILL FIX IT"

Koetter can't run the ball. His scheme is cheeks. The only times since Matt Ryan has been with this franchise where our running game has been COMPLETELY NONEXISTENT..... Dirk Koetter was our OC

Link to post
Share on other sites

Run game went to San Francisco.  I'm a little surprised we haven't been able to get more out of the ground attack with all the talk in the offseason about emphasizing it, and the return of Mularkey.  I'm not sure the answer is just drafting another back, though.

It's not just the lack of volume from the playcalling, but the lack of variety.  We don't stress defenses enough with formations, we don't try to get to the perimeter and test edges like we used to.  We're out here running into brick walls 15 times a game.  Dives, power, and a little inside zone is all Dirk calls.

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, dominatethesouth said:

We dominated this game because of defense. 

 

3 minutes ago, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

Run game went to San Francisco.  I'm a little surprised we haven't been able to get more out of the ground attack with all the talk in the offseason about emphasizing it, and the return of Mularkey.  I'm not sure the answer is just drafting another back, though.

It's not just the lack of volume from the playcalling, but the lack of variety.  We don't stress defenses enough with formations, we don't try to get to the perimeter and test edges like we used to.  We're out here running into brick walls 15 times a game.  Dives, power, and a little inside zone is all Dirk calls.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

Run game went to San Francisco.  I'm a little surprised we haven't been able to get more out of the ground attack with all the talk in the offseason about emphasizing it, and the return of Mularkey.  I'm not sure the answer is just drafting another back, though.

It's not just the lack of volume from the playcalling, but the lack of variety.  We don't stress defenses enough with formations, we don't try to get to the perimeter and test edges like we used to.  We're out here running into brick walls 15 times a game.  Dives, power, and a little inside zone is all Dirk calls.

So you think Koetter is the problem?

Think you are right to a degree, but also feel we do not have the right kind of backs. Thought Ito was going to be that right RB, but has gone out on IR 2/2 years having played a ton fewer snaps than Freeman, before he started getting hurt. 

If we are both right, then we are in really bad shape in that we need to fire the OC and invest a high draft pick in a RB.

Edited by Cheap Talk
Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, ya_boi_j said:

They’re running with 3 guys that have barely gotten touches all season. They may be fresh but they haven’t had a single chance to get in a real rhythm week to week. I have zero issue going into next season with Ito, Hill and Ollison as a 3 headed rbbc. There’s absolutely no reason to blow another draft pick on a running back

Wish you were right, unfortunately do not believe it to be. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Cheap Talk said:

Looks like the Falcons will have to spend one of those 2nd Rounders on a RB come April. Cannot go into 2020 without a running game, or it will be more of the same. Hill had his chance to shine today and certainly did not! 

If the OL is the problem, then we need a shifty type RB like Freeman in his prime, not someone who is a cut-and-run type RB. We now officially have no answers currently on the the team at RB for 2020. 

We dominated in this game because the OL is decent at pass block, and we have a elite duo of WRs with Jones/Ridley. We would not have even won this game today against a better team, that could have focused on the passing attack once the they had shut down the run.

This team has relied too long on what was the ghost of Devonta Freeman's elite play, hoping it was some how going to come back to life. The coaching staff and FO really did not have the right to expect that it would. More than anything else I think that is what cost us the 2019 season. There was no back-up plan, did not bring in a veteran through FA or with a trade (Barner not withstanding).

Oh gee, why don't you go to your "Cry Room"! We won, only the third game this season but second in a row where we were supposed to lose! Not only did we win but did so convincingly. Some folks cannot be happy no matter what and always find things to complain about!

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

Run game went to San Francisco.  I'm a little surprised we haven't been able to get more out of the ground attack with all the talk in the offseason about emphasizing it, and the return of Mularkey.  I'm not sure the answer is just drafting another back, though.

It's not just the lack of volume from the playcalling, but the lack of variety.  We don't stress defenses enough with formations, we don't try to get to the perimeter and test edges like we used to.  We're out here running into brick walls 15 times a game.  Dives, power, and a little inside zone is all Dirk calls.

And bottom line, we suck at run blocking.  It’s hard to tell if the running backs are  the issue.  Hill was hit in the backfield nearly every single carry.  Do we even practice it??

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

And bottom line, we suck at run blocking.  It’s hard to tell if the running backs are  the issue.  Hill was hit in the backfield nearly every single carry.  Do we even practice it??

Last week the run blocking looked the best it had all season.  Today it was just ok...but ATL ran enough to where the THREAT of the run allowed some great play-action.

However, down the stretch I don't think other teams will take it as seriously.  If we still had Freeman or Ito Smith, I'd say they're ok...not great...but ok with the run game.  The run game is definitely the Achilles Heel.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, GreggT said:

Oh gee, why don't you go to your "Cry Room"! We won, only the third game this season but second in a row where we were supposed to lose! Not only did we win but did so convincingly. Some folks cannot be happy no matter what and always find things to complain about!

Would not even be having this discussion if I did not believe the Falcons were a super talented team team. Maybe should have brought this topic up tomorrow, and at least given you 24-hours to savor the moment?

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Cheap Talk said:

That may true, but beside the point. Depends on whether you find the talent to fit your scheme, or what happens more often than not, you try to find the scheme to fit your talent. Either way it is not working.  

It’s not beside the point. Dirk isn’t the OC for the talent provided. That’s the main thing. End of the day they did a poor job replacing Shanahan, especially in hiring Dirk

Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Cheap Talk said:

So you think Koetter is the problem?

Think you are right to a degree, but also feel we do not have the right kind of backs. Thought Ito was going to be that right RB, but has gone out on IR 2/2 years having played a ton fewer snaps than Freeman, before he started getting hurt. 

If we are both right, then we are in really bad shape in that we need to fire the OC and invest a high draft pick in a RB.

Koetter is part of the problem, but the problem is there is a deeper disconnect going on with regards to philosophy... we don't have one.  When Mularkey was OC, we were a power run team: gap schemes, power-0, variations of pin and pull type stuff.  When Shanny was here; wide zone all the way.  

I really can't tell you what kind of running game we have now which is why I can't really point to the backs as a problem.  I can't tell you if they fit or not, if I can't tell what scheme we have.  In the offseason, I heard Mularkey talk about getting away from the wide zone and back to more gap scheme stuff.  Well we for sure got away from the wide zone.  Beyond that, what?  We seem to run more as a cursory now.  We don't hang our hat on anything.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...