Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
FalconsIn2012

Why Quinn May Get A Pass:

14 posts in this topic

I have said all along that the offseason was odd.  I did not think Manuel deserved to be fired with all the injuries suffered the year prior .  In the 20 games where Manuel had a healthy Deion Jones, his defense allowed a team to score over 23 points just once (Seahawks).  The injuries derailed 2018 and Quinn knows this.

I no way do I think Quinn wanted to fire Manuel and assume the added burden of being a full time DC.  That is a very tough responsibility to take on.  I always thought firing Manuel was a directive from Blank.  If so, Quinn deserves a pass on this year, especially if we finish 8-8 or better.

This article hints that what I’m saying is true.  Quinn had to sell Blank on changing things up and letting Morris move back to defense and take over some of the playcalling.

“Change was inevitable, particularly after team owner Arthur Blank held an impromptu news conference following a loss to the Seattle Seahawksin Week 8 and said every aspect of the coaching staff would be evaluated, including Quinn. Blank also said at the time he had no immediate plans to cut ties with Quinn despite a thunderous outcry from disgruntled fans.

Quinn had to sell Blank on altering some aspect of his program in hopes of triggering a spark. Quinn moved Morris back to defense, moved running backs coach Dave Brock to wide receivers in place of Morris and moved assistant Bernie Parmalee to running backs coach. There were no notable personnel changes among the players during practice.

When asked Wednesday how Blank received the news of Morris being reassigned, Quinn didn't answer directly.

"[Blank] said it well: 'You've got a lot of smart people there, and utilize every resource that you have,'” Quinn said. "Raheem and I obviously have been talking about that and the fact that this was the best thing to do for the team.”

Quinn revealed how Morris essentially expected the move, knowing how close the two are, dating to when Quinn coached the defensive line at Hofstra University when Morris was a safety.

"It doesn't affect just him,” Quinn said of Morris' switch. "There's a lot of moving parts that go into it. ... But having his energy to bring over to the defensive side -- we're just a few days into it -- but I thought the players did a good job of adapting to that, and the coaches as well. So it's been a good start.”

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.espn.com/blog/atlanta-falcons/post/_/id/34757/falcons-have-nothing-to-lose-in-coaching-staff-shakeup%3fplatform=amp

Francis York Morgan likes this

Quinn was close with Manuel. I definitely don't think it was his choice to fire him. But AB built a new stadium and he's gotten impatient...

All I want is what's best for the team. Some continuity might be it. @FalconFanSince1970 mentioned 1997 with the 1-7 start that wound up finishing 6-2, and how the next season went...if it leads to a Superbowl, I'm all for sticking through the pain. Fans just want blood

Manuel was never fired!! his contract was not renewed/extended. Quinn said he felt like MM deserved to call his own plays/defense and he wasnt gonna be allowed to do that if he had been extended. thus the parting of the ways. now this is 'one' explanation i think Quinn is being straight-up about...

Yeah, Manuel was Quinn's guy and I don't think he wanted to let him go. He was pressured into it. Quinn even said that he was taking over the defense and Manual deserved to be a DC somewhere. It wasn't because he thought Manuel wasn't doing a good job, it was just because he would be taking over it full time. Blank probably wanting him to take over. You can't expect Manuel to step down to a position coach and stay. Probably figured he would get a job as a DC. 

Im good with giving more time to Quinn and letting him try to get it going long term. Up and down times in the NFL are normal. If Quinn does settle in and improve. It could be alot more rewarding than anything we can hire.

Halcon-1 likes this

1 hour ago, sanfranfalcon said:

Manuel was never fired!! his contract was not renewed/extended. Quinn said he felt like MM deserved to call his own plays/defense and he wasnt gonna be allowed to do that if he had been extended. thus the parting of the ways. now this is 'one' explanation i think Quinn is being straight-up about...

You're dead on. Forgot that also, he wasn't extended.

Edited by THEHEADCOACH
sanfranfalcon likes this

32 minutes ago, Francis York Morgan said:

Quinn was close with Manuel. I definitely don't think it was his choice to fire him. But AB built a new stadium and he's gotten impatient...

All I want is what's best for the team. Some continuity might be it. @FalconFanSince1970 mentioned 1997 with the 1-7 start that wound up finishing 6-2, and how the next season went...if it leads to a Superbowl, I'm all for sticking through the pain. Fans just want blood

Continuity can’t be overstated.  Look at the Patriots.  How many coaches have the Steelers had in the past two decades.  Constant turnover at the coaching level is never a good thing.  But if the message has gone stale you have to make a change.

50 minutes ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

Continuity can’t be overstated.  Look at the Patriots.  How many coaches have the Steelers had in the past two decades.  Constant turnover at the coaching level is never a good thing.  But if the message has gone stale you have to make a change.

Longer than that. Steelers had Knoll, cowher, and Tomlin since the 70s

I looked it up, Chuck Noll coached from 69 to 91

Edited by dodge_birds_fan
me4falcons and FalconsIn2012 like this

14 hours ago, sanfranfalcon said:

“NFL Network's Tom Pelissero reported Monday that the Falcons fired offensive coordinator Steve Sarkisian, defensive coordinator Marquand Manuel and special teams coordinator Keith Armstrong, per a source informed of the decision”

17 hours ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

“NFL Network's Tom Pelissero reported Monday that the Falcons fired offensive coordinator Steve Sarkisian, defensive coordinator Marquand Manuel and special teams coordinator Keith Armstrong, per a source informed of the decision”

not accurate per Quinn's statement regarding MM...

from Rotoworld...(wording could be better)

Falcons fired DC Marquand Manuel.

Atlanta also fired OC Steve Sarkisian and ST coordinator Keith Armstrong. Manuel's firing appears to be a case of coach Dan Quinn wanting to take on a bigger role on defense. "I believe [Manuel] should have the opportunity to call plays for a defense," Quinn said, "so we have decided to allow his contract to expire so he can explore those opportunities." Atlanta's defense was a bottom-five unit in 2018, but injuries played a big role in their struggles. Manuel should land on his feet.

Edited by sanfranfalcon