FalconsIn2012

76-15 - Morris, Ulbrich & Rico

62 posts in this topic

52 minutes ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

You do if he didn’t cause the fire.  I’ve said this before, in no way do I think Quinn fired Manuel. I don’t think he wanted the task of being full time HC & DC.  It’s a huge burden:  I have always thought that move was a directive from Arthur Blank. And if that is true, I will give a special shout out to Dan Quinn.

He did cause the fire. He put Morris on offense to bolster his friends HC resume, not because he though Morris would help the WRs more than the DBs. Quinn call. His fault. He has to own that and extra two years of the DBs, as a unit, performing below their talent level. 

athell likes this

5 minutes ago, athell said:

Some of you are gluttons for punishment...Dan Quinn defensive DVOA rankings since he has arrived:

2018 - 31st
2017 - 22nd
2016 - 26th
2015 - 22nd

He still needs to go.  A defensive mind that can't deliver defensive games has zero purpose.  Some are so quick to forget how bad this team looked the first half of the season, (we are 30th this year btw), because of these last two showings.  Don't get me wrong, I love smacking down divisional opponents, but let's not be so delusional in our wins that we overlook how poorly he has performed.

In 2015 we went from allowing 27 ppg to just 21.5 ppg.  Solid effort

In 2016 we went to  the SB, much of the late run due to Quinn and the defense

In 2017 we allowed just 19 ppg (top 8)

In 2018 the middle of the defense went on IR

In 2019: let’s see how we finish

1 minute ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

In 2015 we went from allowing 27 ppg to just 21.5 ppg.  Solid effort

In 2016 we went to  the SB, much of the late run due to Quinn and the defense

In 2017 we allowed just 19 ppg (top 8)

In 2018 the middle of the defense went on IR

In 2019: let’s see how we finish

2019 - 30th
2018 - 31st
2017 - 22nd
2016 - 26th
2015 - 22nd

Also you and I have spoken on 2017 and you even admitted it was smoke and mirrors.  Come on...

13 minutes ago, NWFALCON said:

Yes. DQ mentioned this in the press conference after the Saints game.  He is working almost exclusively with the D-line.

Well he has the d-line playing lights out and Raheem Morris has the secondary playing 100% better.  The coaching changes have done wonders for our defense.

FalconsIn2012 likes this

1 minute ago, falcndave said:

He did cause the fire. He put Morris on offense to bolster his friends HC resume, not because he though Morris would help the WRs more than the DBs. Quinn call. His fault. He has to own that and extra two years of the DBs, as a unit, performing below their talent level. 

We had Manuel, a great DB coach, handling the secondary.  And Morris gets no love for his impact as passing game coordinator the last 3 years

1 minute ago, ATL_666 said:

Well he has the d-line playing lights out and Raheem Morris has the secondary playing 100% better.  The coaching changes have done wonders for our defense.

So keep DQ as the dline coach next season...he doesn't belong as a HC...

Just now, athell said:

So keep DQ as the dline coach next season...he doesn't belong as a HC...

If our D continues to play at this rate for the remainder of the season I think it's a no brainer to keep Quinn.  A lot of people might disagree with that, but that is my opinion.  

FalconsIn2012 likes this

1 minute ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

We had Manuel, a great DB coach, handling the secondary.  And Morris gets no love for his impact as passing game coordinator the last 3 years

Morris was in a no fail situation. I would have been a **** of a passing game coordinator...all I would have to do is stay the heck out of Ryan and Julio's way.

2 minutes ago, ATL_666 said:

I think having three coaches that have worked together running all three levels has made communication and the defensive expectations/responsibilities super clear.  Its easy to then pass down that information to the players.

8 minutes ago, kiwifalcon said:

Tankers will be fuming hard about now lol

I feel like there are different levels of “tankers”.  I, for one, was fine if we lost out.  That said, I was never actively rooting against the team, I had just mentally prepared myself that they may lose out, and the positive side of that was a higher draft pick and potential better player moving forward.  I was always rooting for them, cheering for them, even traveled from Ohio to go to the Rams game.  I’m very excited we are winning again, and in the way we are.  I love the draft, it’s my favorite time of year, so I had started looking at prospects already and that type of thing.  But I would much rather us win out than have a top 5 pick.

Francis York Morgan likes this

Just now, NWFALCON said:

I think having three coaches that have worked together running all three levels has made communication and the defensive expectations/responsibilities super clear.  Its easy to then pass down that information to the players.

Agreed.  I wish we could have gotten all of this cleaned up say...3 or 4 games ago though. Then we could seriously be considering playoffs.

The good news is that it was the coaching. The bad news is it was the coaching.

Quinn has shown to be stubborn and slow to learn. There are still lots of problems with this team, but at least there’s light at the end of the tunnel. If Quinn stays I’d like to see DK go. The lack of a run game has really hurt this team and there’s no long term formula for success that involves a league record low rush attempts. 

Rings likes this

1 minute ago, athell said:

2019 - 30th
2018 - 31st
2017 - 22nd
2016 - 26th
2015 - 22nd

Quinn has his warts, but every coach not named Belichick does.  But his time in Atlanta has been more good than bad.  This season is the only one I lay completely on him.  Even still, Blank forced him to be the DC

2019: 3-7 
2018: Derailed by injuries

2017: 11-7.  Should have beat the SB Champions.  
2016: 13-6.  Should have won a SB

2015: 8-8.  Not bad for a rebuild.  

Lol...all excuses and what ifs.  You are insane.

Keep your excuses and what ifs, I want production.  An actual defense.  

2 minutes ago, EpicBird said:

The good news is that it was the coaching. The bad news is it was the coaching.

Quinn has shown to be stubborn and slow to learn. There are still lots of problems with this team, but at least there’s light at the end of the tunnel. If Quinn stays I’d like to see DK go. The lack of a run game has really hurt this team and there’s no long term formula for success that involves a league record low rush attempts. 

Koetter sucks. I can't stand the guy and how he calls the offense. I like continuity, but I'd rather have new blood if the offense keeps being called this way.

3 minutes ago, ATL_666 said:

Agreed.  I wish we could have gotten all of this cleaned up say...3 or 4 games ago though. Then we could seriously be considering playoffs.

It's a shame. Had several winnable games. Easily could be 5-5 or 6-4 rn.

5 minutes ago, NWFALCON said:

Agreed. He was taking on too much. I think him focusing on DL and overall defensive gameplan but leaving playcalling to Ulbrich and Morris has been working great.

NWFALCON and FalconsIn2012 like this

3 minutes ago, rings639 said:

I feel like there are different levels of “tankers”.  I, for one, was fine if we lost out.  That said, I was never actively rooting against the team, I had just mentally prepared myself that they may lose out, and the positive side of that was a higher draft pick and potential better player moving forward.  I was always rooting for them, cheering for them, even traveled from Ohio to go to the Rams game.  I’m very excited we are winning again, and in the way we are.  I love the draft, it’s my favorite time of year, so I had started looking at prospects already and that type of thing.  But I would much rather us win out than have a top 5 pick.

Fair enough for me Draft is for the off season.For me over the down first half I look for little improvements every week.

For me the last 2 weeks have been somewhat of a revelation and I’m hoping the team can ride this momentum.I just want this team to ride its talent like it should have earlier.Its always been here just needs to put its best foot foward ever week and see what happens.

Rings likes this

2 minutes ago, kiwifalcon said:

Fair enough for me Draft is for the off season.For me over the down first half I look for little improvements every week.

For me the last 2 weeks have been somewhat of a revelation and I’m hoping the team can ride this momentum.I just want this team to ride its talent like it should have earlier.Its always been here just needs to put its best foot foward ever week and see what happens.

I agree, I guess what I meant was “if they are going to lose out and be this bad, here is the silver lining...so I’m going to latch on to that so I’m not let down week after week the rest of the year.”

kiwifalcon likes this

35 minutes ago, athell said:

Some of you are gluttons for punishment...Dan Quinn defensive DVOA rankings since he has arrived:

2018 - 31st
2017 - 22nd
2016 - 26th
2015 - 22nd

He still needs to go.  A defensive mind that can't deliver defensive games has zero purpose.  Some are so quick to forget how bad this team looked the first half of the season, (we are 30th this year btw), because of these last two showings.  Don't get me wrong, I love smacking down divisional opponents, but let's not be so delusional in our wins that we overlook how poorly he has performed.

I'd just hate for Quinn to learn from all the mistakes he has made just to go to another team and apply what he has learned there.

18 minutes ago, athell said:

Lol...all excuses and what ifs.  You are insane.

Keep your excuses and what ifs, I want production.  An actual defense.  

If what you’ve seen the last 10 quarters continues the rest of the year, isn’t that production?  Do we still fire everyone then?

vel likes this

22 minutes ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

Quinn has his warts, but every coach not named Belichick does.  But his time in Atlanta has been more good than bad.  This season is the only one I lay completely on him.  Even still, Blank forced him to be the DC

2019: 3-7 
2018: Derailed by injuries

2017: 11-7.  Should have beat the SB Champions.  
2016: 13-6.  Should have won a SB

2015: 8-8.  Not bad for a rebuild.  

Belichick has his warts too.  He was terrible in Cleveland but he learned from it.  Unfortunately for Cleveland they didn't get to benefit from those lessons. 

23 minutes ago, Francis York Morgan said:

Koetter sucks. I can't stand the guy and how he calls the offense. I like continuity, but I'd rather have new blood if the offense keeps being called this way.

It's a shame. Had several winnable games. Easily could be 5-5 or 6-4 rn.

Agreed. He was taking on too much. I think him focusing on DL and overall defensive gameplan but leaving playcalling to Ulbrich and Morris has been working great.

Great post

4 minutes ago, abcranford2 said:

Belichick has his warts too.  He was terrible in Cleveland but he learned from it.  Unfortunately for Cleveland they didn't get to benefit from those lessons. 

They did.  Baltimore won a SB because of the seeds Belichick laid.  People forget the trade back in the draft Belichick made that a year later resulted in Ray Lewis.  

Also, the 1994 Browns were one of the best defenses of All Time.  Belichick & Saban were almost an unfair combination.  They invented the Pattern Match zone together in Cleveland

27 minutes ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

If what you’ve seen the last 10 quarters continues the rest of the year, isn’t that production?  Do we still fire everyone then?

5 years or 10 quarters?