FalconsIn2012

76-15 - Morris, Ulbrich & Rico

62 posts in this topic

76-15.  That is the score of our last 10 quarters against very good competition (Saints, Seahawks & Panthers had a combined 7 losses).  The offense is still a bit out of sync, but this is what happens when you play complementary football in all three phases of the game.

• Shout-out #1: Dan Quinn -  It’s not easy to admit your limitations.  But he is still the DC.  Still creates the Gameplan.  Still coaches the DL who have been beasts the last 3 games.  Honestly, I am just glad to see his energy and infectious smile again on the sidelines.

• Shout-out #2: Raheem Morris - While Jeff Ulbrich will get most of the glory, and deservedly so, moving Morris back to DB’s mid-season was risky.    It was unprecedented in recent NFL history.  And it may have been the move that saved a regime.

• Shout-our #3: Ricardo Allen - he doesn’t have the body to hold up in the box or be a full time SS.  But dude has filled in admirably, which allowed Kazee to move from nickel where he was a liability to FS where he can have a positive impact 

1 minute ago, falcndave said:

I'll shout at Quinn, not out to him. You don't get the credit for extinguishing a fire after the house has already collapsed and, oh by the way, you poured on the gasoline and lit the match in the first place.

I like the OP's post because that is a silver lining, but this has tons of merit, too. It's like many have said: May be too little too late when the players/talent has been there all along and it was just a matter of coaching.

FalconsIn2012 likes this

22 minutes ago, falcndave said:

I'll shout at Quinn, not out to him. You don't get the credit for extinguishing a fire after the house has already collapsed and, oh by the way, you poured on the gasoline and lit the match in the first place.

You do if he didn’t cause the fire.  I’ve said this before, in no way do I think Quinn fired Manuel. I don’t think he wanted the task of being full time HC & DC.  It’s a huge burden:  I have always thought that move was a directive from Arthur Blank. And if that is true, I will give a special shout out to Dan Quinn.

7 minutes ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

76-15 is the score of our last 10 quarters against very good competition (Saints, Seahawks & Panthers had a combined 7 losses).  The offense is still a bit out of sync, but this is what happens when you play complementary football in all three phases of the game.

Shout out to Dan Quinn.  It’s not easy to admit your limitations.  But he is still the DC.  Still does the Gameplan.  Still coaches the DL who have been beasts the last 3 games.  Honestly, I am just glad to see his energy and smile again on the sidelines.

2nd Shout Out: Raheem Morris: Jeff Ulbrich will get a lot of love, and deservedly so, but moving Morris back to DB’s mid-season was risky.    It was unprecedented in recent NFL history.  And it may have been the move that saved a regime.

Raheem Morris is the sole reason for the defensive makeover. His single greatest change in this shocking turn the Falcons have made is moving Kazee to FS and shifting Rico to strong. It’s night and day. These guys are communicating well again, also, because Ulbrich and Morris are having them play to their strengths. It’s magic to watch. 

4 minutes ago, Halcon-1 said:

I like the OP's post because that is a silver lining, but this has tons of merit, too. It's like many have said: May be too little too late when the players/talent has been there all along and it was just a matter of coaching.

And scheme...the move to odd man front really was a head scratcher and we were not built to play it.

As we’ve seen, this is a one gap attacking defense that is built to play with a lead

13 minutes ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

76-15 is the score of our last 10 quarters against very good competition (Saints, Seahawks & Panthers had a combined 7 losses).  The offense is still a bit out of sync, but this is what happens when you play complementary football in all three phases of the game.

Shout out to Dan Quinn.  It’s not easy to admit your limitations.  But he is still the DC.  Still does the Gameplan.  Still coaches the DL who have been beasts the last 3 games.  Honestly, I am just glad to see his energy and smile again on the sidelines.

2nd Shout Out: Raheem Morris: Jeff Ulbrich will get a lot of love, and deservedly so, but moving Morris back to DB’s mid-season was risky.    It was unprecedented in recent NFL history.  And it may have been the move that saved a regime.

I second this legitimately put a smile on my face to see the boys and coach actually having fun again..quinn deserves these last two week so kudos to him and this team for the turn around let's keep it going

ATLskinjob, Rings, Halcon-1 and 6 others like this

7 minutes ago, SoCalFalconFan said:

Raheem Morris is the sole reason for the defensive makeover. His single greatest change in this shocking turn the Falcons have made is moving Kazee to FS and shifting Rico to strong. It’s night and day. These guys are communicating well again, also, because Ulbrich and Morris are having them play to their strengths. It’s magic to watch. 

That safety shift has done so much good. Allows Kazee to make his plays and Ricardo can still call the secondary and erase the big plays. And he honestly can lay some wood as a strong safety. Not as good and Neal, but still good. 

Halcon-1 likes this

4 minutes ago, RoddyWhite84 said:

I second this legitimately put a smile on my face to see the boys and coach actually having fun again..quinn deserves these last two week so kudos to him and this team for the turn around let's keep it going

It rubs off on the players, too.  I have not seen Quinn like this since we beat the Rams in the 2017 playoffs

Morris said it last week forget the tablets and just play what you see use your instincts.I believe he was talking to Rico and it’s seemingly rubbed off in the defense.

Whats that like 10 sacks in 2 weeks fark me.

I’ve always known the talents always been there.It just hasn’t been deployed correctly.I think Morris hasn’t done anything too much but let his players play more instinctively which makes them more relaxed.Thats what it feels like to me.

Let’s not pretend Quinn was locked in a room tied to a chair the 1st half of the season and some how escaped to turn things around. 

its really nice to win the past two weeks. Makes me happy. But this has been an outlier if the **** show this team was the 1st half of the season. Has to run the table against 3 teams that are gonna bar a bear to beat(Saints, Pack and 9ers) to even have a prayer at the playoffs. Too little too late.

16 minutes ago, SoCalFalconFan said:

I’ll say this.  Kazee isn’t a better FS than Rico.  But Sheffield is a much, much better nickel than Kazee, who has honestly been a serious liability all year.

3 minutes ago, kiwifalcon said:

Morris said it last week forget the tablets and just play what you see use your instincts.I believe he was talking to Rico and it’s seemingly rubbed off in the defense.

Whats that like 10 sacks in 2 weeks fark me.

I’ve always known the talents always been there.It just hasn’t been deployed correctly.I think Morris hasn’t done anything too much but let his players play more instinctively which makes them more relaxed.Thats what it feels like to me.

He is improving the communication on the back end

kiwifalcon and Geaux_Falcons like this

3 minutes ago, Godzilla1985 said:

Let’s not pretend Quinn was locked in a room tied to a chair the 1st half of the season and some how escaped to turn things around. 

its really nice to win the past two weeks. Makes me happy. But this has been an outlier if the **** show this team was the 1st half of the season. Has to run the table against 3 teams that are gonna bar a bear to beat(Saints, Pack and 9ers) to even have a prayer at the playoffs. Too little too late.

Pack?

30 minutes ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

Shout out to Dan Quinn.  It’s not easy to admit your limitations.  But he is still the DC.  Still creates the Gameplan.  Still coaches the DL who have been beasts the last 3 games.  Honestly, I am just glad to see his energy and infectious smile again on the sidelines.

2nd Shout Out: Raheem Morris. While Jeff Ulbrich will get most of the glory, and deservedly so, moving Morris back to DB’s mid-season was risky.    It was unprecedented in recent NFL history.  And it may have been the move that saved a regime.

I hope it saves them. I like this coaching staff and i believe in continuity. I just also hope DQ learned his lesson about too much responsibility and how crucial it is have great positional coaches. The only change that wouldnt bother me either way is the OC but DK has been calling better games as of late.

FalconsIn2012, SPITFIRE and vel like this

2 minutes ago, dodge_birds_fan said:

Pack?

Apologies. For some reasons I thought we played the Packers this year.  Looked that the schedule I was wrong. 

Edited by Godzilla1985

2 minutes ago, Godzilla1985 said:

Apologies. For some reasons I thought we played the Packers this year.  Looked that the schedule I was wrong. 

No worries. We usually do play them lol. I think we can go 4-2 to finish this year out. 9ers should beat us, and I'm giving up on jags only because we can't seem to beat AFC teams. 

I like our odds vs saints only because home team wins Thursday games.

Godzilla1985 likes this

4 minutes ago, bertrain7 said:

I hope it saves them. I like this coaching staff and i believe in continuity. I just also hope DQ learned his lesson about too much responsibility and how crucial it is have great positional coaches. The only change that wouldnt bother me either way is the OC but DK has been calling better games as of late.

I agree about Koetter.  We will know more about him based on the final 2 months.

40 minutes ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

Shout out to Dan Quinn.  It’s not easy to admit your limitations.  But he is still the DC.  Still creates the Gameplan.  Still coaches the DL who have been beasts the last 3 games.  Honestly, I am just glad to see his energy and infectious smile again on the sidelines.

2nd Shout Out: Raheem Morris. While Jeff Ulbrich will get most of the glory, and deservedly so, moving Morris back to DB’s mid-season was risky.    It was unprecedented in recent NFL history.  And it may have been the move that saved a regime.

Is DQ the d-line coach?  Do you think since he has handed off play calling duties that has given him more time to focus on the d-line?  I am trying to figure out what has caused the sudden emergence of our entire d-line?  They are playing like absolute beasts.  I know everyone is including the secondary and linebackers, but it amazes me how we could absolutely not get any pressure 7 games, but now our line is unstoppable.

FalconsIn2012 likes this

4 minutes ago, ATL_666 said:

Is DQ the d-line coach?  Do you think since he has handed off play calling duties that has given him more time to focus on the d-line?  I am trying to figure out what has caused the sudden emergence of our entire d-line?  They are playing like absolute beasts.  I know everyone is including the secondary and linebackers, but it amazes me how we could absolutely not get any pressure 7 games, but now our line is unstoppable.

That’s a fact.  He has been spending most of his time with the DL

5 minutes ago, ATL_666 said:

Yes. DQ mentioned this in the press conference after the Saints game.  He is working almost exclusively with the D-line.

FalconsIn2012 likes this

Some of you are gluttons for punishment...Dan Quinn defensive DVOA rankings since he has arrived:

2018 - 31st
2017 - 22nd
2016 - 26th
2015 - 22nd

He still needs to go.  A defensive mind that can't deliver defensive games has zero purpose.  Some are so quick to forget how bad this team looked the first half of the season, (we are 30th this year btw), because of these last two showings.  Don't get me wrong, I love smacking down divisional opponents, but let's not be so delusional in our wins that we overlook how poorly he has performed.