Halcon-1

Keanu Neal

61 posts in this topic

Thoughts?

In the hullabaloo over the past several weeks, I forgot all about Keanu Neal. I forgot the guy even existed. With the way we have dominated on defense in two consecutive weeks without him and with two catastrophic, season-ending injuries in twelve months, how should we handle him? If we continue on defense on this upward trajectory, what do we do with him moving forward once this season is finished? Keanu Neal is/was our enforcer in the secondary. Is coaching good enough to let Neal go and replace him with ???? If I am not mistaken, this season was the last year of his rookie deal. 

If the defense continues this performance, it's quite the quandary concerning Neal.

Tim Mazetti likes this

51 minutes ago, Halcon-1 said:

Thoughts?

If I am not mistaken, this season was the last year of his rookie deal. 

3 minutes ago, The Smart One said:

Either put him at LB or cut him. Problem solved. 

Again the Falcons picked up Neal 5th year option and he got injured, so unless he passes his physical before the start of the league year his salary for 2020 is guaranteed.

13 minutes ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

For 6 million he isn’t expensive.  And while Rico has filled in admirably at SS, his body won’t hold up there long term.  If you like Kazee at FS and keep Neal, it likely means Rico is gone

His body has held up better than Neal's. 6M is way too much for a guy who is just a thumper and can't create turnovers. 

papachaz, Flying Falcon and Chaz like this

Just now, stizz said:

His body has held up better than Neal's. 6M is way too much for a guy who is just a thumper and can't create turnovers. 

He’s never been an INTs guy, but I’m pretty sure he lead or was near the top of the league in FFs from 2016-17. 

rugger8, red falcon, Vandy and 2 others like this

Just now, Atlantafan21 said:

He’s never been an INTs guy, but I’m pretty sure he lead or was near the top of the league in FFs from 2016-17. 

So 3 years ago when he was healthy. He's not the guy anyone and for a defense starving for turnovers, we need playmakers anywhere we can.

Flying Falcon likes this

26 minutes ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

For 6 million he isn’t expensive.  And while Rico has filled in admirably at SS, his body won’t hold up there long term.  If you like Kazee at FS and keep Neal, it likely means Rico is gone

So far I have more faith in Allen’s body holding up then Neals.

just cause Rico is short, doesn’t mean he is frail.

It's a tough decision in either direction, whether they decide to move on or keep him. If they move on, is Rico a viable long-term option? Like Falconsin2012 stated, can Rico's body hold up as a SS? So far, it certainly has. Is Kazee a viable long-term option at FS? Place Kazee back on bench as back-up if Neal returns, but what if someone then yanks him (Kazee) up to start on their team? 

Contractually, the team is in a great position and have leverage. . . . 

On 18/11/2019 at 0:11 AM, Atlantafan21 said:

Unpopular opinion, but I want him on the team next year. But he’s also possibly my favorite player so there’s that lol. 

Jeeees if that's an unpopular opinion I don't know what to think. Keke is a beast who gives it his all for this team.

Yes, the injury is bad, but he will be back. 100%

On 11/17/2019 at 5:56 PM, FalconsIn2012 said:

Why not make Rico a nickel CB? That was his original spot anyway and I remember he played some corner recently and looked great doing it, I just don't see a straight-up reason to cut Rico. The guy is smart and plays like his hair is on fire and is a leader of our D. I would do everything possible to keep him..

Malachore likes this

On 11/17/2019 at 6:10 PM, stizz said:

1 int and 8 FF in his first 2 years when he didnt have freak injuries.

But yeah he doesnt create turnovers.

Vandy, poutlipper, Stryka and 3 others like this

On 11/17/2019 at 5:56 PM, FalconsIn2012 said:

With how fragile Neal is we need a starting caliber safety option in case he blows out a hamstring tieing his shoes.

Rico or Kazee back to Nickle unless they cut Trufant IMO.

Keanu Neal is going to do what Mark Barron did for the Rams... and flourish. Move him into a versatile LB role. 

Having a guy with SS instincts as your flex linebacker that isn't a liability when you decide to keep him in for a hybrid nickel defense could prove to be invaluable. 

Geaux_Falcons and poutlipper like this

1 minute ago, Malachore said:

With how fragile Neal is we need a starting caliber safety option in case he blows out a hamstring tieing his shoes.

Rico or Kazee back to Nickle unless they cut Trufant IMO.

Sheffield is the nickel unless he takes Tru’s spot next year.  Kazee should never see the slot again.  He was awful

40 minutes ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

Sheffield is the nickel unless he takes Tru’s spot next year.  Kazee should never see the slot again.  He was awful

I'd rather Allen there, still you need another safety because you can't trust Neal. The guy has almost as many knee surgeries than games played the past 2 years. If anything I try him at LB.

ATLSlobberKnockers likes this

1 hour ago, Ovie_Lover said:

Forced fumbles aren't turnovers unless the Falcons recover them. Even then, it's luck of the bounce. 

2 hours ago, Ovie_Lover said:

Absolutely back no brainer, he makes alligator arms out of receivers, and lets remember, we have had Kemal playing starter snaps.

poutlipper, Atl Falcon and Stryka like this