Disco

Maybe we should eat a crow about DQ

67 posts in this topic

For three weeks ago i was all into firing Dan Quinn. Not only because the team was losing all the time, but i thought that he might had lost the locker room. However, after the Saints and Panthers game he has really stepped up and created something unique. Not only can Falcons play defense now, but Falcons are also shutting down some of the better offenses in the league down field. I don´t know. 3-7 is still bad, but again DQ also seems to be likeable by the players. I think it could be a mistake if Blank sacks him. 

What do you think? Is this just an outlier? We will see in the next couple of games. 

Dan Quinn is the same guy that managed to direct the Falcons to a 1-7 record ?  Also, same guy that had multiple players on HIS defense not playing their assignments or using basic fundamentals, on several plays during first few Vikings' possessions in game #1 this season ?

THAT guy ?

I don't think eating crow is in order. The criticism and complaints were valid and warranted. DQ seemingly turning it around does not change the first half of the season. 

Serving crow, in my mind, is only valid when fans jump the gun. After 1-7, heck, after going down 1-3, the criticism was, not only valid, but necessary.

No no and no.

BUT for the minute DQ has found a formula that is working and deserves accolades for it.

Much like the warranted criticism early.

In those 3 wins you are seeing the Fast & Physical mantra DQ preached.

The real question is can the Falcons ride this momentum to the playoffs.Do we dare to dream.

I don't think it's quite time for y'all tankers to eat crow, but if this keeps up y'all got like 3 more games before it's time. This team is looking nasty and it's because Quinn made a bunch of changes that we all initially scoffed at.

2 games doesn't prove that the curse is broken, but 3 or 4 does. Especially since they're all versus some tough divisional opponents. 

16 minutes ago, kiwifalcon said:

No no and no.

BUT for the minute DQ has found a formula that is working and deserves accolades for it.

Much like the warranted criticism early.

In those 3 wins you are seeing the Fast & Physical mantra DQ preached.

The real question is can the Falcons ride this momentum to the playoffs.Do we dare to dream.

People forget that this guy hasn't been a HC before this. Dude is still young. I'm not excusing the first half of the season, but this defense is nothing new...it's how Quinn's defense played in the 2016 run. In Seattle. It's how they played before he tried to take on too much responsibility.

He's got a good thing going now. If it keeps going, I think blowing it up now would be a massive mistake. He's still learning, but I think what's happening now says a lot. Remember when Reeves was fired? Losing Quinn could be like that but worse. Take what you're doing now and hone it. Get some continuity for once.

2 minutes ago, Francis York Morgan said:

People forget that this guy hasn't been a HC before this. Dude is still young. I'm not excusing the first half of the season, but this defense is nothing new...it's how Quinn's defense played in the 2016 run. In Seattle. It's how they played before he tried to take on too much responsibility.

He's got a good thing going now. If it keeps going, I think blowing it up now would be a massive mistake. He's still learning, but I think what's happening now says a lot. Remember when Reeves was fired? Losing Quinn could be like that but worse. Take what you're doing now and hone it. Get some continuity for once.

I still want DK gone though.I know it’s OC x for Ryan but ultimately I don’t see it with DK there.

dodge_birds_fan, Jen and Halcon-1 like this

You are missing the point. I am also very disappointed about the team´s performance this season. However, i am concerned about starting from scratch again. DQ and FO made some changes before this season and obviously there has been some struggle, but maybe this could be the turning point for the team. It´s not about making play off, but about capitalizing on the changes made in the staff and the talent that was drafted by DQ and TD. 

The team looked like a mess, but hey they stepped up. Doesen´t that mean something? If DQ lost the locker room, he should be fired, but he hasn´t. The guys still trust him. The fans don´t, because all we care about is the play off and the super bowl. Chemestry and stability are things that are undervalued in this sport. Throw it away and it would be a  setback for this team. Can people live with that? At least DQ has proven that he can get us results and make it to the play offs. 

Quinn gave up plays calling, the defense plays better, and people want to give Quinn credits for being less involves with the defense.  Geez thanks Quinn for staying away from the defense and didn’t confuse the players with your plays calling.

3 minutes ago, Disco said:

You are missing the point. I am also very disappointed about the team´s performance this season. However, i am concerned about starting from scratch again. DQ and FO made some changes before this season and obviously there has been some struggle, but maybe this could be the turning point for the team. It´s not about making play off, but about capitalizing on the changes made in the staff and the talent that was drafted by DQ and TD. 

The team looked like a mess, but hey they stepped up. Doesen´t that mean something? If DQ lost the locker room, he should be fired, but he hasn´t. The guys still trust him. The fans don´t, because all we care about is the play off and the super bowl. Chemestry and stability are things that are undervalued in this sport. Throw it away and it would be a  setback for this team. Can people live with that? At least DQ has proven that he can get us results and make it to the play offs. 

DQs biggest issue in my eyes is trust.He has gone against what he wants his Defense to look like and allowed coaches to grow at his expense.

He needs to live and die by his vision not someone else’s.

dodge_birds_fan and Halcon-1 like this

Just now, freefall said:

Quinn gave up plays calling, the defense plays better, and people want to give Quinn credits for being less involves with the defense.  Geez thanks Quinn for staying away from the defense and didn’t confuse the players with your plays calling.

The defense played better when he took over in 2016. I don't know what was going on. I guess he had too much on his plate.

8 minutes ago, kiwifalcon said:

I still want DK gone though.I know it’s OC x for Ryan but ultimately I don’t see it with DK there.

DK deserves another year at least. Year 2 is usually better than year 1

fan72 likes this

But it´s still DQ´s team. It´s not like he dosen´t do any coaching at all. It´s his players, coordinators and philosophy, It´s not like Morris and Ulbrich started a revolution. 

5 minutes ago, Disco said:

Quinn has proven that if he has the right coordinators then he can win...if he doesn’t screw things up himself.  

3 minutes ago, Falcons Fan MVP said:

The defense played better when he took over in 2016. I don't know what was going on. I guess he had too much on his plate.

I looked at those games in 2016 that Quinn took over.  Most of those teams were offensively challenged.  Against NO the defense still gave up like 29 pts I think.