g-dawg

G-Dawg 2020 Falcons Mock Draft - 11/13/2019

85 posts in this topic

14 minutes ago, UGABOZ said:

we just are revolving door at those spots and keep picking there while other spots keep getting even worse

We have drafted more corners than DTackles in last 6 years

Vandy likes this

17 hours ago, g-dawg said:

OK, clear now after the Falcons beatdown of the Saints that they are going to win at least 1-2 more games down the stretch - probably looking at a 4-12 to 5-11 season so right now we are in 6th draft position and will likely stay between #6-10.    With that in mind, we can kiss Chase Young goodbye.    That's fine, I see another target in that range that would be a great fit for Falcons and be part of the solution of the defense.    I don't address Center in this draft although certainly a future need.   Generally with Centers, you have to take good ones early.   Wanted to address the defense in a meaningful way.    Falcons have too many needs to address all in this draft - would like to have taken a linebacker early as well but not a lot of good ones in this draft.

#2-006)  Derrick Brown, DT-Auburn (6'5", 318lbs)

G-Dawg take:   Derrick Brown is just a bully.   Very hard to move in the run game and a very good passrusher.   While he won't rack up gaudy sack numbers, he can absolutely pile-drive the interior offensive line protection into the lap of the QB - has the ability to average 7sack/yr in NFL and will make a lot of TFLs like Grady.  

Pros - Has that Chris Jones/Fletcher Cox body composition. Long, athletic and powerful. Terrific ability to play with extension and control the line of scrimmage. He is devastating as a penetration-style player, often completely overwhelming SEC interior offensive linemen. Despite being on the taller side, Brown plays with excellent leverage and does well to convert speed to power. Easily flows laterally in pursuit and attacks the football as if he’s on a warpath. Has outstanding short area quickness and he easily redirects. No question that he could defend multiple gaps. Love how quickly he sheds after finding the football. Processing skills are strong - recognizes quick game and gets his hands up while quickly ID’ing screens. 

Cons - Want to see him play with more control after resetting the line of scrimmage or gaining a step as a pass rusher. He is incredibly disruptive and it's time for that to turn into production as a senior, particularly as a pass rusher. 

#2-038) Yetur Gross-Matos (6'5", 242lbs)

G-Dawg take:  I am guessing many will hate this pick because it's another undersized DE-type.  However, Matos plays bigger and should easily be able to fill out his frame upwards of 260lbs.   Matos isn't like Beasley as he has a non-stop motor and makes plays in the run game as well as being a good passrusher that either bullrush or move around the edge.

PROS: Long levers and he knows how to use them. Fairly effective at winning with first contact, using his length and playing with extension. For a taller, longer defender he’s generally committed to keeping his pad level down. Absolutely love his motor - relentless pursuer of the football and he makes his share of plays based on effort alone and chasing down from distance. Eats up turf with his initial steps as a pass rusher. Has the ability to turn, flatten and win around the outside hip of the offensive tackle. Has rushed from a variety of alignments, including on the interior. Showcases good hand combating skills to keep his pads clear. Deploys a variety of swipes, counters and combinations to clear contact. Has enough power the point of attack to set a firm edge, fight pressure with pressure and squeeze gaps. Features a massive wingspan and it shows up when tackling. Routinely makes tackles outside his frame and he has excellent range. 

CONS: Want to see him play faster and process quicker in 2019. There is some calculation to his execution and once the switch flips, he has the physical tools to really emerge as an impact playmaker. Can afford to add play strength and get more stout at the point of attack, particularly when attacking as a power-style rusher. 

#2-063)  Jaylon Johnson, CB-Utah (6'0", 190lbs)

G-Dawg take:   While he is a little "handsey" which will make some think of Rocky Alford, he really doesn't have to be - very good speed and size and just needs to tweak his game.   Has potential to be a #1 corner.

PROS: Everything you could want in a cornerback prospect. Long, strong, physical, and obsessed with the football. Highly competitive through the contact window, through vertical stems downfield, and when the ball arrives. Makes PBU and INT plays on the football that other corners fail to make given competitiveness and length profile. Effective at squeezing receivers off the red line and working with sideline and with safeties to collapse receiver space and discouraging quarterback throws. Nobody gave JJ Arcega-Whiteside issues like he did given his physical profile. Quick in transition and when closing from off coverage as well. Flexible and silky in transition, surprising for a player with his stride length. 

CONS: Needs a bit of a bridle in terms of his aggressive play style and ball-hunting mentality. Willing to drop coverage responsibilities in zone and jump breaks in man when he thinks he has a bead on the play and can get exposed by double-moves and pumps fakes. Has some false step and grabby issues but nothing that will discourage NFL teams from selecting and developing him.

#3-69)  Antoine Winfield, Jr-S - Minnesota (5'10", 205lbs)

G-Dawg take:    Has NFL bloodlines and his father was a 1st round pick out of Ohio State and a heckuva corner.   Winfield has a nose for the ball/very instinctual.    Could also play slot corner and has punt-return ability.    Very likely to outperform his draft position.

Scouting Report: 

Has missed considerable time with numerous injuries, but if healthy, could show enough to enter the NFL draft. A bit undersized, but so was his father who had a long and illustrious career in the NFL. Has lined up all over the secondary, and has shined wherever he has played. A student of the game who understands how to watch film and prepare. Gets to the play quickly, and along with read and react skills brought upon by preparation, has the acceleration and sound tackling skills to get to the play. Is adept all deep coverage, short area coverage, run defense and blitzing.

4th rd)  Clyde Edwards-Helaire (5'9", 215lbs) 

G-Dawg take:   Clyde reminds me a lot of a Devonta Freeman coming out of college - and I love Devonta but unfortunately he is closer to the end of his career than the beginning.    Helaire has elite receiving skill and nice wiggle and power in the run game.   Would pair nicely w/ Falcons current roster of RBs and could be a tandem back.

5th rd)  Jordyn Brooks, LB Texas Tech (6'1", 240lbs)  

G-Dawg take:  very twitchy athlete that could develop.  Tackling machine

7th rd) Josh Jones, OT-Houston (6'7", 310lbs)

G-Dawg take:    very raw offensive lineman that could play inside or outside.   Has been injury prone or would go much higher.

Image result for josh jones houston

PROS: Enticing project caliber prospect -- he's got a lot of intriguing physical traits. Most notable among them is desirable length to play on the edge, as well as an athletic build and some tenacity in the trenches to

I love this mock my brother. I’ve been on the Winfield train for weeks now. Brown is a beast. Love the picks man 

3 hours ago, KRUNKuno said:

I just don’t see Jaylon Johnson falling that far.  His size:skills:production ratio is far too high.  I think he goes early to mid 2nd.

I don't either. I believe we can get maybe Arnette, Adebo, or even Igbinoghene. But I do like a CB at that spot. On another note, I'm starting to like Greenard over Weaver at the first 2nd rd pick.

7 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

I figured you were gonna crush me for taking a DT in top 10 and not wanting Dex last year.  :lol:

LOL...I like Brown even more than I did Lawrence, G. And if we could also get Gross-Matos too? Oh my, all would be forgiven on my end for last year’s OL overkill.  

MSalmon, g-dawg and FalconsIn2012 like this

8 hours ago, youngbloodz said:

Now I love the fact about Okudah. But you can never invest in the d line too much. Impossible 

Agreed, and HAVE we invested to much in the D line? Not even close. Brown please

g-dawg and youngbloodz like this

7 hours ago, g-dawg said:

I want good corners but would much rather build an ELITE unit along the DLine and pairing Derrick Brown with Grady Jarrett would be just that - elite!

We have some pieces on the backend that can continue to be developed in Sheffield, Oliver and Kazee and we can add at least one more corner and safety to the mix on Day 2 of the draft.

Licking my chops at thought of Brown with Grady. Hope Miller becomes a decent piece next year

g-dawg and youngbloodz like this

Nice mock. But his organization will probably do a Jeff Okudah in the 1st and Curtis Weaver in the 2nd rd type combo

4 hours ago, ike barn87987 said:

I don't either. I believe we can get maybe Arnette, Adebo, or even Igbinoghene. But I do like a CB at that spot. On another note, I'm starting to like Greenard over Weaver at the first 2nd rd pick.

NFL Draft – Week 6 Risers

Jonathan Greenard/Edge/Florida: Greenard started the season hot and there’s been no let-up since the first game.  He was omnipresent against the Auburn Tigers and a disruptive force that was impossible to stop.  He finished the game with 6 tackles and 3 quarterback hits, which might as well have been recorded as sacks. 

Greenard beat blockers off the snap while showing terrific quickness and explosion in his game. He’s fast up the field, shows great balance rushing the edge, and easily changes direction to make plays in backside pursuit. There was some concern about how Greenard would return off the wrist injury which prematurely ended his season in 2018, but he looks stronger and more disruptive than ever. 

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/nfl-draft-greenard-and-farley-lead-week-6-risers-and-sliders/?amp&__twitter_impression=true

22 hours ago, g-dawg said:

OK, clear now after the Falcons beatdown of the Saints that they are going to win at least 1-2 more games down the stretch - probably looking at a 4-12 to 5-11 season so right now we are in 6th draft position and will likely stay between #6-10.    With that in mind, we can kiss Chase Young goodbye.    That's fine, I see another target in that range that would be a great fit for Falcons and be part of the solution of the defense.    I don't address Center in this draft although certainly a future need.   Generally with Centers, you have to take good ones early.   Wanted to address the defense in a meaningful way.    Falcons have too many needs to address all in this draft - would like to have taken a linebacker early as well but not a lot of good ones in this draft.

G-Dawg take:   Derrick Brown is just a bully.   Very hard to move in the run game and a very good passrusher.   While he won't rack up gaudy sack numbers, he can absolutely pile-drive the interior offensive line protection into the lap of the QB - has the ability to average 7sack/yr in NFL and will make a lot of TFLs like Grady.  

Pros - Has that Chris Jones/Fletcher Cox body composition. Long, athletic and powerful. Terrific ability to play with extension and control the line of scrimmage. He is devastating as a penetration-style player, often completely overwhelming SEC interior offensive linemen. Despite being on the taller side, Brown plays with excellent leverage and does well to convert speed to power. Easily flows laterally in pursuit and attacks the football as if he’s on a warpath. Has outstanding short area quickness and he easily redirects. No question that he could defend multiple gaps. Love how quickly he sheds after finding the football. Processing skills are strong - recognizes quick game and gets his hands up while quickly ID’ing screens. 

Cons - Want to see him play with more control after resetting the line of scrimmage or gaining a step as a pass rusher. He is incredibly disruptive and it's time for that to turn into production as a senior, particularly as a pass rusher. 

G-Dawg take:  I am guessing many will hate this pick because it's another undersized DE-type.  However, Matos plays bigger and should easily be able to fill out his frame upwards of 260lbs.   Matos isn't like Beasley as he has a non-stop motor and makes plays in the run game as well as being a good passrusher that either bullrush or move around the edge.

PROS: Long levers and he knows how to use them. Fairly effective at winning with first contact, using his length and playing with extension. For a taller, longer defender he’s generally committed to keeping his pad level down. Absolutely love his motor - relentless pursuer of the football and he makes his share of plays based on effort alone and chasing down from distance. Eats up turf with his initial steps as a pass rusher. Has the ability to turn, flatten and win around the outside hip of the offensive tackle. Has rushed from a variety of alignments, including on the interior. Showcases good hand combating skills to keep his pads clear. Deploys a variety of swipes, counters and combinations to clear contact. Has enough power the point of attack to set a firm edge, fight pressure with pressure and squeeze gaps. Features a massive wingspan and it shows up when tackling. Routinely makes tackles outside his frame and he has excellent range. 

CONS: Want to see him play faster and process quicker in 2019. There is some calculation to his execution and once the switch flips, he has the physical tools to really emerge as an impact playmaker. Can afford to add play strength and get more stout at the point of attack, particularly when attacking as a power-style rusher. 

G-Dawg take:   While he is a little "handsey" which will make some think of Rocky Alford, he really doesn't have to be - very good speed and size and just needs to tweak his game.   Has potential to be a #1 corner.

PROS: Everything you could want in a cornerback prospect. Long, strong, physical, and obsessed with the football. Highly competitive through the contact window, through vertical stems downfield, and when the ball arrives. Makes PBU and INT plays on the football that other corners fail to make given competitiveness and length profile. Effective at squeezing receivers off the red line and working with sideline and with safeties to collapse receiver space and discouraging quarterback throws. Nobody gave JJ Arcega-Whiteside issues like he did given his physical profile. Quick in transition and when closing from off coverage as well. Flexible and silky in transition, surprising for a player with his stride length. 

CONS: Needs a bit of a bridle in terms of his aggressive play style and ball-hunting mentality. Willing to drop coverage responsibilities in zone and jump breaks in man when he thinks he has a bead on the play and can get exposed by double-moves and pumps fakes. Has some false step and grabby issues but nothing that will discourage NFL teams from selecting and developing him.

G-Dawg take:    Has NFL bloodlines and his father was a 1st round pick out of Ohio State and a heckuva corner.   Winfield has a nose for the ball/very instinctual.    Could also play slot corner and has punt-return ability.    Very likely to outperform his draft position.

Scouting Report: 

Has missed considerable time with numerous injuries, but if healthy, could show enough to enter the NFL draft. A bit undersized, but so was his father who had a long and illustrious career in the NFL. Has lined up all over the secondary, and has shined wherever he has played. A student of the game who understands how to watch film and prepare. Gets to the play quickly, and along with read and react skills brought upon by preparation, has the acceleration and sound tackling skills to get to the play. Is adept all deep coverage, short area coverage, run defense and blitzing.

G-Dawg take:   Clyde reminds me a lot of a Devonta Freeman coming out of college - and I love Devonta but unfortunately he is closer to the end of his career than the beginning.    Helaire has elite receiving skill and nice wiggle and power in the run game.   Would pair nicely w/ Falcons current roster of RBs and could be a tandem back.

G-Dawg take:    very raw offensive lineman that could play inside or outside.   Has been injury prone or would go much higher.

PROS: Enticing project caliber prospect -- he's got a lot of intriguing physical traits. Most notable among them is desirable length to play on the edge, as well as an athletic build and some tenacity in the trenches to

A @g-dawg Mock.... Hmmmmmm

g-dawg likes this

On 11/13/2019 at 8:40 PM, g-dawg said:

Scouting Report: 

PROS: Enticing project cG dawg!!!!!aliber prospect -- he's got a lot of intriguing physical traits. Most notable among them is desirable length to play on the edge, as well as an athletic build and some tenacity in the trenches to

Gdawg! Good to see you brother! I swear on my life.....you should take T.DEEZ biking job next year! lol, you are the best at drafts! But I don't want to see you up for 48 hrs straight with our pick on the line lol. hey man!!!!

g-dawg likes this

Nice. I've liked Derrick Brown for a while. He's a stud on the interior. Plain and simple. Him and Grady would wreck shop for years. Would help whatever edge rushers we have get home and keep your athletic LBs clean consistently. Easy pick if Young is gone. Grady, Brown, and Takk is a good trio to build around. 

I'm iffy on Gross-Matos, more out of ignorance than dislike. Just don't know anything about to be sold out the gate. I'd be inclined to add another LB there like Kenneth Murray if he's there. If not, I won't complain about adding a pass rusher with potential there. 

I like Jaylon Johnson. Easy projection. I'll give you another name to consider. AJ Terrell. Westlake product, hometown kid, but championship pedigree at Clemson and balls. 

Nice mock overall though.

g-dawg and *Old Pappy Falcon* like this

15 hours ago, lju713 said:

Nice mock. But his organization will probably do a Jeff Okudah in the 1st and Curtis Weaver in the 2nd rd type combo

Okundah or Delpit in the 1st & Weaver in 2nd would be solid as well...we will have to see how Oliver & Sheffield finish the year at boundary

15 hours ago, Unintentional Grounding said:

A @g-dawg Mock.... Hmmmmmm

7 hours ago, *Old Pappy Falcon* said:

Gdawg! Good to see you brother! I swear on my life.....you should take T.DEEZ biking job next year! lol, you are the best at drafts! But I don't want to see you up for 48 hrs straight with our pick on the line lol. hey man!!!!

Plesse dont quote the entire OP. 

*Old Pappy Falcon* likes this

2 hours ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

Okundah or Delpit in the 1st & Weaver in 2nd would be solid as well...we will have to see how Oliver & Sheffield finish the year at boundary

Safety in 1st is just a bad investment.   The only safeties over last 20yrs that were really difference makers you can count on one hand and all except Eric Berry were selected out of the top 10.

Delpit is good - but he isn’t Top 10 pick good - even if he was, I don’t like the position value there.

16 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

Safety in 1st is just a bad investment.   The only safeties over last 20yrs that were really difference makers you can count on one hand and all except Eric Berry were selected out of the top 10.

Delpit is good - but he isn’t Top 10 pick good - even if he was, I don’t like the position value there.

Watch how Belichick talks about Ed Reed in a footballl life.  Look how much the patriots pay their safeties.  It’s an essential position in today’s NFL

2 hours ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

Watch how Belichick talks about Ed Reed in a footballl life.  Look how much the patriots pay their safeties.  It’s an essential position in today’s NFL

Belicheck is paying Devin McCourty(FS) $9mm/yr.  Patrick Chung makes about $4mm/yr

Eagles paying Fletcher Cox(DT)  $17mm/yr.

The positional values are what they are and prove worth.   Delpit vs Brown isn't even a close call.   Also, Delpit cannot carry Ed Reed, Earl Thomas nor Eric Berry's jock.

2 hours ago, g-dawg said:

Belicheck is paying Devin McCourty(FS) $9mm/yr.  Patrick Chung makes about $4mm/yr

Eagles paying Fletcher Cox(DT)  $17mm/yr.

The positional values are what they are and prove worth.   Delpit vs Brown isn't even a close call.   Also, Delpit cannot carry Ed Reed, Earl Thomas nor Eric Berry's jock.

Patriots are #1 in the NFL, spending nearly 30 million on just their safeties. McCourty is at 14 mill.

7 hours ago, vel said:

Nice. I've liked Derrick Brown for a while. He's a stud on the interior. Plain and simple. Him and Grady would wreck shop for years. Would help whatever edge rushers we have get home and keep your athletic LBs clean consistently. Easy pick if Young is gone. Grady, Brown, and Takk is a good trio to build around. 

I'm iffy on Gross-Matos, more out of ignorance than dislike. Just don't know anything about to be sold out the gate. I'd be inclined to add another LB there like Kenneth Murray if he's there. If not, I won't complain about adding a pass rusher with potential there. 

I like Jaylon Johnson. Easy projection. I'll give you another name to consider. AJ Terrell. Westlake product, hometown kid, but championship pedigree at Clemson and balls. 

Nice mock overall though.

Terrell was in my mock.  Has the length, speed and IQ you like on the outside.

Outside of OSU’s Okundah, many experts see Terrell as the best CB prospect in this cycle

29 minutes ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

Patriots are #1 in the NFL, spending nearly 30 million on just their safeties. McCourty is at 14 mill.

I looked it up on Sportstrac - those were figures for this year i quoted.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-england-patriots/devin-mccourty-6536/

5yr, $48mm contract for McCourty.

Give me Belicheck as coach and I will spend the money however he wants.    But we ain't getting him.

Falcons need a dominant DLine - they do.   I am tired of building back to front and outside in (unless Chase Young).

No way - not a chance I would take Delpit in the top 10 - much less over Derrick Brown.

2 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

I looked it up on Sportstrac - those were figures for this year i quoted.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-england-patriots/devin-mccourty-6536/

5yr, $48mm contract for McCourty.

Give me Belicheck as coach and I will spend the money however he wants.    But we ain't getting him.

Falcons need a dominant DLine - they do.   I am tired of building back to front and outside in (unless Chase Young).

No way - not a chance I would take Delpit in the top 10 - much less over Derrick Brown.

I mean, we have an All Pro at DT and two 1st round investments on the edge.  I love Brown and would like the pick...but we have tried quite hard to build the DL.  Just had not worked as we hoped.

20 minutes ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

I mean, we have an All Pro at DT and two 1st round investments on the edge.  I love Brown and would like the pick...but we have tried quite hard to build the DL.  Just had not worked as we hoped.

we have made NO SERIOUS investment in DT in the draft - we took Hageman in the 2014 draft in 2nd round.   That was the biggest draft investment ever made.     We drafted a safety in the 1st round in 2016.    Senat was an end of 3rd round selection so almost 90 players had been picked before him.

So I disagree w/ your characterization.   Falcons have also invested more in Corners as well. We still need another corner and probably another safety if we are moving on from Keanu - but we likely are moving on from Beasley as well - no certain future w/ Takk.

Take the best player at a position of need/impact on defense.   Best way to go.  Draft the talent.