g-dawg

G-Dawg 2020 Falcons Mock Draft - 11/13/2019

85 posts in this topic

I would love D Brown barring injury he is a future All Pro. He spoke so mature last night on TV. I watched Winfield last weekend, dad was a baller, I think he'll do well. Alabama's A. Jennings, Big LB/De, Terrell Lewis, a sacks type guy and big RB N. Harris could help us. Depending on what round I like some UGA guys too J R Reed and LeConte can help our DB situation, Cager is a long receiver and they have a few people on their OL besides Thomas that we may be able to steal rounds 5-7. But if TD stays we know he is not going to draft a Dawg.

FalconsIn2012, D.B.N. and g-dawg like this

40 minutes ago, youngbloodz said:

Now I love the fact about Okudah. But you can never invest in the d line too much. Impossible 

Agreed. Even if it ever gets to a point of elite, I would continue to devote at least one top 3 pick every year to DL. 

Instead, this team Historically has always done it backwards. Skill positions first, DL as an ignored afterthought until we find ourselves in crisis mode.

same mindset as US government.

4 minutes ago, Vandy said:

Agreed. Even if it ever gets to a point of elite, I would continue to devote at least one top 3 pick every year to DL. 

Instead, this team Historically has always done it backwards. Skill positions first, DL as an ignored as an afterthought until in crisis mode.

same mindset as US government.

Hit the nail on the head about the government brother lol. 

Vandy likes this

I just don’t see Jaylon Johnson falling that far.  His size:skills:production ratio is far too high.  I think he goes early to mid 2nd.

Unfortunately this mock has defensive players on it, so it will not be close. :shrug:

I expect whatever GM we have to go Offense line, TE, RB, and then P/K. And defensive help will come in the 5th-7th rounds.

35 minutes ago, youngbloodz said:

True. But if you cant get to the QB eventually the WR will get open. It all works together. No corner can cover for 6 seconds. Just won't happen 

Correct.   In the 53yrs the Falcons have been a franchise - same number of years I have been born - we have had just a handful of really good defensive lines.   Maybe 1-2yrs in the 1970’s,  1yr in the 1990’s and 1yr in early 2000’s. So less than 8% of our history as a franchise.   

Eagles won the SuperBowl two years ago with a MEH secondary. You cannot cover your way out of bad passrush or run stoppage.

I want good corners but would much rather build an ELITE unit along the DLine and pairing Derrick Brown with Grady Jarrett would be just that - elite!

We have some pieces on the backend that can continue to be developed in Sheffield, Oliver and Kazee and we can add at least one more corner and safety to the mix on Day 2 of the draft.

7 minutes ago, Fernando C. said:

I know this will not be a popular opinion, but the WR draft class looks LOADED, how about get a 3 round WR... there is value there.. 

Probably is value but I just don’t see it in the cards for Falcons taking a Receiver in this draft.   Justin Gage is already a budding player on the rise and will likely work into the #3 option.

Also the UDFA rook last year out of Virginia(Olamide Zacheus) turned a lot of heads and will likely make the 53 man roster and there are high hopes for him.

55 minutes ago, youngbloodz said:

True. But if you cant get to the QB eventually the WR will get open. It all works together. No corner can cover for 6 seconds. Just won't happen 

Last week proved you need to be solid and incest in both the DL & Secondary.  The beauty of having 6-7 quality guys in the secondary is you can adjust your scheme to match your opponent on a weekly basis

We can't go wrong with either selecting Derrick Brown or someone in the secondary such as Grant Delpit or Jeff Okudah at our current projected draft spot. Chase Young is a pipe dream and if we pick at 6 and first two picks end up being qbs I think we look to trading up for him. We have not had someone of his caliber since ol man Abraham. If we can keep a 2nd id look for a corner or a defensive tackle later if we can get our hands on chase.

g-dawg and youngbloodz like this

2 hours ago, youngbloodz said:

No offensive line can keep out a defensive line for that long either.  

3 hours ago, SpongeDad said:

I want to see a trade up for Young mock draft.

I would legit be happy with this. I am so, SO tired of missing out on the best DE prospects. I just want Takk to be able to thrive as a role player with Young and Grady getting double teams. I like Derrick Brown as well, but..Chase Young, man. We're so close.

I BELIEVE we can still lose out. We're still in this man, I have FAITH this team is still terrible and last week was a fluke.

SpongeDad likes this

1 hour ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

Last week proved you need to be solid and incest in both the DL & Secondary.  The beauty of having 6-7 quality guys in the secondary is you can adjust your scheme to match your opponent on a weekly basis

Exactly. It all works together. But ask any coach where your foundation in football starts and all of them will say the line of scrimmage. 

Vandy likes this

2 hours ago, g-dawg said:

Correct.   In the 53yrs the Falcons have been a franchise - same number of years I have been born - we have had just a handful of really good defensive lines.   Maybe 1-2yrs in the 1970’s,  1yr in the 1990’s and 1yr in early 2000’s. So less than 8% of our history as a franchise.   

Eagles won the SuperBowl two years ago with a MEH secondary. You cannot cover your way out of bad passrush or run stoppage.

I want good corners but would much rather build an ELITE unit along the DLine and pairing Derrick Brown with Grady Jarrett would be just that - elite!

We have some pieces on the backend that can continue to be developed in Sheffield, Oliver and Kazee and we can add at least one more corner and safety to the mix on Day 2 of the draft.

I agree 100%. And I played DB throughout my years playing football. I know how important the d line is for everyone. A dominant d line makes everyone's job so much easier

Vandy and g-dawg like this

38 minutes ago, youngbloodz said:

True. That is true

The numbers I found from 2017 support YOUR position that you need a defensive line.  I'm saying that your defense can win the sack game from the secondary.  I feel its easier to build a secondary than it is to build a defensive line. I had a whole speech backing my position that I erased after I found these numbers...:lol:

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/extra-points/2018/which-defenses-depended-non-pressure-sacks-2017

Edited by Spts1
youngbloodz likes this

2 hours ago, Refried Beans said:

Cam Akers is by far the best RB in the draft, he is doing damage with no offensive line at all. 

Repeat the lie enough and maybe others will start doubting.

not me though.

youngbloodz and Ovie_Lover like this

16 minutes ago, Spts1 said:

The numbers I found from 2017 support YOUR position that you need a defensive line.  I'm saying that your defense can win the sack game from the secondary.  I feel its easier to build a secondary than it is to build a defensive line. I had a whole speech backing my position that I erased after I found these numbers...:lol:

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/extra-points/2018/which-defenses-depended-non-pressure-sacks-2017

You're not wrong in what your saying. Sacks can come from the secondary in a sense. Just easier to get to the qb with a dominant d line compared to covering for 4 or 5 seconds 

Spts1 likes this

16 hours ago, g-dawg said:

I do.    I believe Vic Beasley and Jack Crawford will be gone next year.    Also not sure if Tyler Davison will be re-signed  - hope he is.  Gross-Matos is somewhat raw but looks like one of those guys that will keep developing and getting bigger - high motor.

Derrick Brown is a grown man and he and Grady will anchor that DLine for  5-6 years together.    

Desmond Trufant and Keanu Neal could also be on the move and we need to start building up the depth in the secondary.   We also need linebackers but just didn't have enough picks - might have to pick up some cheap guys in free agency and make do for a year.   Eventually will need a Center as well.

we just are revolving door at those spots and keep picking there while other spots keep getting even worse

Spts1 likes this