g-dawg

G-Dawg 2020 Falcons Mock Draft - 11/13/2019

85 posts in this topic

OK, clear now after the Falcons beatdown of the Saints that they are going to win at least 1-2 more games down the stretch - probably looking at a 4-12 to 5-11 season so right now we are in 6th draft position and will likely stay between #6-10.    With that in mind, we can kiss Chase Young goodbye.    That's fine, I see another target in that range that would be a great fit for Falcons and be part of the solution of the defense.    I don't address Center in this draft although certainly a future need.   Generally with Centers, you have to take good ones early.   Wanted to address the defense in a meaningful way.    Falcons have too many needs to address all in this draft - would like to have taken a linebacker early as well but not a lot of good ones in this draft.

#2-006)  Derrick Brown, DT-Auburn (6'5", 318lbs)

G-Dawg take:   Derrick Brown is just a bully.   Very hard to move in the run game and a very good passrusher.   While he won't rack up gaudy sack numbers, he can absolutely pile-drive the interior offensive line protection into the lap of the QB - has the ability to average 7sack/yr in NFL and will make a lot of TFLs like Grady.  

Pros - Has that Chris Jones/Fletcher Cox body composition. Long, athletic and powerful. Terrific ability to play with extension and control the line of scrimmage. He is devastating as a penetration-style player, often completely overwhelming SEC interior offensive linemen. Despite being on the taller side, Brown plays with excellent leverage and does well to convert speed to power. Easily flows laterally in pursuit and attacks the football as if he’s on a warpath. Has outstanding short area quickness and he easily redirects. No question that he could defend multiple gaps. Love how quickly he sheds after finding the football. Processing skills are strong - recognizes quick game and gets his hands up while quickly ID’ing screens. 

Cons - Want to see him play with more control after resetting the line of scrimmage or gaining a step as a pass rusher. He is incredibly disruptive and it's time for that to turn into production as a senior, particularly as a pass rusher. 

#2-038) Yetur Gross-Matos (6'5", 265lbs)

G-Dawg take:  .  Matos has good size and very athletic.  He should be able to  fill out his frame upwards of 270+lbs.   Matos isn't like Beasley as he has a non-stop motor and makes plays in the run game as well as being a good passrusher that either bullrush or move around the edge.

PROS: Long levers and he knows how to use them. Fairly effective at winning with first contact, using his length and playing with extension. For a taller, longer defender he’s generally committed to keeping his pad level down. Absolutely love his motor - relentless pursuer of the football and he makes his share of plays based on effort alone and chasing down from distance. Eats up turf with his initial steps as a pass rusher. Has the ability to turn, flatten and win around the outside hip of the offensive tackle. Has rushed from a variety of alignments, including on the interior. Showcases good hand combating skills to keep his pads clear. Deploys a variety of swipes, counters and combinations to clear contact. Has enough power the point of attack to set a firm edge, fight pressure with pressure and squeeze gaps. Features a massive wingspan and it shows up when tackling. Routinely makes tackles outside his frame and he has excellent range. 

CONS: Want to see him play faster and process quicker in 2019. There is some calculation to his execution and once the switch flips, he has the physical tools to really emerge as an impact playmaker. Can afford to add play strength and get more stout at the point of attack, particularly when attacking as a power-style rusher. 

#2-063)  Jaylon Johnson, CB-Utah (6'0", 190lbs)

G-Dawg take:   While he is a little "handsey" which will make some think of Rocky Alford, he really doesn't have to be - very good speed and size and just needs to tweak his game.   Has potential to be a #1 corner.

PROS: Everything you could want in a cornerback prospect. Long, strong, physical, and obsessed with the football. Highly competitive through the contact window, through vertical stems downfield, and when the ball arrives. Makes PBU and INT plays on the football that other corners fail to make given competitiveness and length profile. Effective at squeezing receivers off the red line and working with sideline and with safeties to collapse receiver space and discouraging quarterback throws. Nobody gave JJ Arcega-Whiteside issues like he did given his physical profile. Quick in transition and when closing from off coverage as well. Flexible and silky in transition, surprising for a player with his stride length. 

CONS: Needs a bit of a bridle in terms of his aggressive play style and ball-hunting mentality. Willing to drop coverage responsibilities in zone and jump breaks in man when he thinks he has a bead on the play and can get exposed by double-moves and pumps fakes. Has some false step and grabby issues but nothing that will discourage NFL teams from selecting and developing him.

#3-69)  Antoine Winfield, Jr-S - Minnesota (5'10", 205lbs)

G-Dawg take:    Has NFL bloodlines and his father was a 1st round pick out of Ohio State and a heckuva corner.   Winfield has a nose for the ball/very instinctual.    Could also play slot corner and has punt-return ability.    Very likely to outperform his draft position.

Scouting Report: 

Has missed considerable time with numerous injuries, but if healthy, could show enough to enter the NFL draft. A bit undersized, but so was his father who had a long and illustrious career in the NFL. Has lined up all over the secondary, and has shined wherever he has played. A student of the game who understands how to watch film and prepare. Gets to the play quickly, and along with read and react skills brought upon by preparation, has the acceleration and sound tackling skills to get to the play. Is adept all deep coverage, short area coverage, run defense and blitzing.

4th rd)  Clyde Edwards-Helaire (5'9", 215lbs) 

G-Dawg take:   Clyde reminds me a lot of a Devonta Freeman coming out of college - and I love Devonta but unfortunately he is closer to the end of his career than the beginning.    Helaire has elite receiving skill and nice wiggle and power in the run game.   Would pair nicely w/ Falcons current roster of RBs and could be a tandem back.

5th rd)  Jordyn Brooks, LB Texas Tech (6'1", 240lbs)  

G-Dawg take:  very twitchy athlete that could develop.  Tackling machine

7th rd) Josh Jones, OT-Houston (6'7", 310lbs)

G-Dawg take:    very raw offensive lineman that could play inside or outside.   Has been injury prone or would go much higher.

Image result for josh jones houston

PROS: Enticing project caliber prospect -- he's got a lot of intriguing physical traits. Most notable among them is desirable length to play on the edge, as well as an athletic build and some tenacity in the trenches to

10 minutes ago, UGABOZ said:

you think we go dline again? Great stuff thanks

I do.    I believe Vic Beasley and Jack Crawford will be gone next year.    Also not sure if Tyler Davison will be re-signed  - hope he is.  Gross-Matos is somewhat raw but looks like one of those guys that will keep developing and getting bigger - high motor.

Derrick Brown is a grown man and he and Grady will anchor that DLine for  5-6 years together.    

Desmond Trufant and Keanu Neal could also be on the move and we need to start building up the depth in the secondary.   We also need linebackers but just didn't have enough picks - might have to pick up some cheap guys in free agency and make do for a year.   Eventually will need a Center as well.

vel likes this

I like Brown. I do. But we absolutely need playmakers on defense. These guys have no idea how to cause a turnover. 

Grant Delpit is exactly that recipe. A safety tandem of Delpit and Kazee with Rico in the slot would be ideal.

23 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

I do.    I believe Vic Beasley and Jack Crawford will be gone next year.    Also not sure if Tyler Davison will be re-signed  - hope he is.  Gross-Matos is somewhat raw but looks like one of those guys that will keep developing and getting bigger - high motor.

Derrick Brown is a grown man and he and Grady will anchor that DLine for  5-6 years together.    

Desmond Trufant and Keanu Neal could also be on the move and we need to start building up the depth in the secondary.   We also need linebackers but just didn't have enough picks - might have to pick up some cheap guys in free agency and make do for a year.   Eventually will need a Center as well.

Brown would make Davison expendable, no?

Derek Brown will be there when we pick. Would like to see us trade back and get Marvin Wilson out of FSU, he is same player, same size everything as Derek Brown and by trading back we can pick up draft picks, then want us to pick up Cam Akers out of FSU as well. Best running back in the draft currently projected 4th best back and projected to go around 64.  AJ Epensa will be there as well. He is projected to go around 13-15. Wild card is if Richard LeCounte is coming out this year out of UGA. If he comes out he will be the steal of the draft and will be late 1st early 2nd round pick. We pick 37 2nd round. Dont sleep on Tristan Wirfs either. He is a plug and play OL that will be there as well when we go to make our 1st round pick. 

Edited by Refried Beans
vitaman likes this

Falcons are drafting a starting cornerback.  Thats a little high for Derrick Brown.  The corner they are going after is Jeff Okudah from Ohio State.  The only question that remains is how much Oliver develops over the remaining part of this season will determine which direction they go with Trufant...

Image result for jeff okudah

D.B.N. likes this

1 hour ago, Refried Beans said:

Derek Brown will be there when we pick. Would like to see us trade back and get Marvin Wilson out of FSU, he is same player, same size everything as Derek Brown and by trading back we can pick up draft picks, then want us to pick up Cam Akers out of FSU as well. Best running back in the draft currently projected 4th best back and projected to go around 64.  AJ Epensa will be there as well. He is projected to go around 13-15. Wild card is if Richard LeCounte is coming out this year out of UGA. If he comes out he will be the steal of the draft and will be late 1st early 2nd round pick. We pick 37 2nd round. Dont sleep on Tristan Wirfs either. He is a plug and play OL that will be there as well when we go to make our 1st round pick. 

Marvin Wilson is not the “same player” as Derrick Brown.

Cam Akers is not “the best back in this draft.”  

Just speaking things like the above doesn’t make it so.  NFL Draft isn’t an exact science but don’t get so enamored with outsmarting obvious talent.   Sometimes you try to get what you perceive is equivalent talent at a discount and you end up  with very little.   Having more picks doesn’t always mean more good players, either.

A homerun draft is getting one game changer plus at least one other starter(preferably two) and some good role players.

I’ve seen many a draft over the years with 10+ picks and they just don’t tend to hit at a high rate.  

vitaman, Pacific_Falcon, vel and 1 other like this

1 hour ago, stizz said:

I like Brown. I do. But we absolutely need playmakers on defense. These guys have no idea how to cause a turnover. 

Grant Delpit is exactly that recipe. A safety tandem of Delpit and Kazee with Rico in the slot would be ideal.

I agree. I think hes every bit as good as.Ward was coming out. I like Young, Delpit, and Brown for ojr first pick im that order personally

LOVE the day 3 picks solid mock

Vandy likes this

I've heard Josh Jones has a chance to go in the first 2 rounds - he isn't likely going to be there in the 7th.

Yetur Matos-Gross played at 259lbs last year, I think he's 260lbs+ now. He's got a lot of upside though and probably a 1st rounder when all is said and done.

Love the CEH pick. I thought of MJD and Freeman when I saw him.

Derrick Brown is going to be good.

g-dawg and CMarinoNFL like this

Young is obviously a pipe dream at this point, so next best would be Okudah, Brown, Espensa. I could get down with this haul for sure . nice work 

Spts1 and g-dawg like this

12 minutes ago, D.B.N. said:

Young is obviously a pipe dream at this point, so next best would be Okudah, Brown, Espensa. I could get down with this haul for sure . nice work 

Another reason they will and should go Okudah is the Saints game proved that you can get sacks from either your pass rush or your secondary.  In other words, if you have lock down corners you can either get coverage sacks or sacks from blitzs.  The Falcons have invested too much on that line.  Rebuild the secondary and get your sacks from there...

Edited by Spts1

13 minutes ago, Spts1 said:

Another reason they will and should go Okudah is the Saints game proved that you can get sacks from either your pass rush or your secondary.  In other words, if you have lock down corners you can either get coverage sacks or sacks from blitzs.  The Falcons have invested too much on that line.  Rebuild the secondary and get your sacks from there...

I'm warming to the idea of a truly elite press corner such Okudah. Ohio State has really pumped out some talent. Okudah is physical, has great size, and will lock down one side of the field. He would be BPA as well 

Spts1 likes this

12 hours ago, Refried Beans said:

Helll no to Wilson and Akers. Nobody on FSU is playing worth a crap right now. Clyde Edwards-Helaire is VASTLY  superior than Cam Akers

ATLSlobberKnockers likes this

59 minutes ago, Spts1 said:

Now I love the fact about Okudah. But you can never invest in the d line too much. Impossible 

Butudontseeme™, thamill and Vandy like this

3 minutes ago, youngbloodz said:

Now I love the fact about Okudah. But you can never invest in the d line too much. Impossible 

They can spend every dime they have on tbe line. Doesn't mean anything if you can't cover..

7 minutes ago, Spts1 said:

They can spend every dime they have on tbe line. Doesn't mean anything if you can't cover..

True. But if you cant get to the QB eventually the WR will get open. It all works together. No corner can cover for 6 seconds. Just won't happen