Let's Talk About: A Well Executed Stunt (sacking Breezus) GIFs ADDED

:tiphat: @PeytonMannings Foreheadmissed these bro!  So what changed?  Same personnel so it’s safe to say this was totally on coaching.  These guys seemed like they had the green light to go the whole game.  These guys were very violent with there hands.  Seems at times the Saints OL were on skates.  We finally exhibited an identity which was to be very physical on defense and run the frickin ball effectively for a change.  This is what we all envisioned of this team to start the season however I hope this is no fools gold!!!  Again thanks for the thread PMF!!

6 hours ago, Jerz #Quinning said:

Takk just plays with that tenacity sometimes that I love in a DLineman.

6 hours ago, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

Agreed.  Effort is non-negotiable, and for all you can say about Takk, he brings it.

I agree. I know the box-score results may not have been there as much as we want, but he's been affecting plays and he's 100% effort. 

Takk isn't our problem by any means.. the finishes are going to come.

18 hours ago, NWFALCON said:

@PeytonMannings Forehead

One thing that I found interesting is the division of defensive coaching duties. It’s a quick excerpt but in his press conference, Quinn said having Morris and Ulbrich calling the defense has left him able to set the direction of the overall team but more specifically DQ has been working with the defensive line almost exclusively. 

So now you have DQ focusing solely on the d line, Ulbrich getting the linebackers in line, and Morris working the secondary. The three coaches are tight and I’m sure they come up with a direction and they work on getting specific things conveyed when It comes to plays and communication. 

You're making me want to go cue up one of DQ's press conferences now.  And I had promised myself I was off that narcotic.  :( ...

... but yeah, the difference is night and day.  Q was so focused on being the defensive coordinator, he lost sight of everything else.  You could just tell this was a rudderless ship.  Sometimes the worst thing you can do as a leader is micromanage.  Trusting your people and knowing where to delegate can bring the best out of everyone.  You could just feel a different energy Sunday.  They didn't have that worn, beaten down look to them.   

18 hours ago, blkbigdog35 said:

:tiphat: @PeytonMannings Foreheadmissed these bro!  So what changed?  Same personnel so it’s safe to say this was totally on coaching.  These guys seemed like they had the green light to go the whole game.  These guys were very violent with there hands.  Seems at times the Saints OL were on skates.  We finally exhibited an identity which was to be very physical on defense and run the frickin ball effectively for a change.  This is what we all envisioned of this team to start the season however I hope this is no fools gold!!!  Again thanks for the thread PMF!!

I've never been one to let players off the hook, but yeah, in this particular circumstance, the tweaks to the scheme made all the difference in the world.  And a lot of it was as simple as just putting bodies in the right places.

16 minutes ago, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

You're making me want to go cue up one of DQ's press conferences now.  And I had promised myself I was off that narcotic.  :( ...

... but yeah, the difference is night and day.  Q was so focused on being the defensive coordinator, he lost sight of everything else.  You could just tell this was a rudderless ship.  Sometimes the worst thing you can do as a leader is micromanage.  Trusting your people and knowing where delegating can bring the best out of everyone.  You could just feel a different energy Sunday.  They didn't have that worn, beaten down look to them.   

I've never been one to let players off the hook, but yeah, in this particular circumstance, the tweaks to the scheme made all the difference in the world.  And a lot of it was as simple as just putting bodies in the right places.

No doubt about it, the players bare some responsibility also!

2 hours ago, NWFALCON said:

@PeytonMannings Forehead

One thing that I found interesting is the division of defensive coaching duties. It’s a quick excerpt but in his press conference, Quinn said having Morris and Ulbrich calling the defense has left him able to set the direction of the overall team but more specifically DQ has been working with the defensive line almost exclusively. 

So now you have DQ focusing solely on the d line, Ulbrich getting the linebackers in line, and Morris working the secondary. The three coaches are tight and I’m sure they come up with a direction and they work on getting specific things conveyed when It comes to plays and communication. 

That’s the worrying thing Mallory and Sutton have sabotaged Quinn of soughts or Quinns taken too much of the mentioned onboard and its hurt the defense big time.

If the defense comes on strong and the team comes up short Quinn will be cursing the fact he’s been allowed to be second guessed.Its almost as though he’s put too much trust in his coaches and gone against his gut.

Remember back in the hard knocks days listening to Coach Robiskie talking in the WRers meeting.You ain’t getting me fired I think Quinn May have drawn the line on a few of these guys he trusted early.

3 hours ago, NWFALCON said:

@PeytonMannings Forehead pick It up at 2:42.  One little bump of that narcotic won’t hurt  

It’s hard to root against Quinn.  He gets no refit for the defensive improvement but he is still the DC.  And he is spending most time with the DL which balled out against the Saints. He didn’t simply forget how to coach.  Here is hoping we finish winning 7 of 8

6 minutes ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

It’s hard to root against Quinn.  He gets no refit for the defensive improvement but he is still the DC.  And he is spending most time with the DL which balled out against the Saints. He didn’t simply forget how to coach.  Here is hoping we finish winning 7 of 8

I still like him. It just sucks that so much of the season was marred by mental mistakes. 

16 hours ago, athell said:

It's not popular with some, but his win rate speaks for itself.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/27584726/nfl-pass-blocking-pass-rushing-rankings-2019-pbwr-prwr-leaderboard

Top 10 DE/OLB Pass Rush Win Rate

1. T.J. Watt, Steelers, 32%
2. Robert Quinn, Cowboys, 31%
3. Takkarist McKinley, Falcons, 31%
4. Myles Garrett, Browns, 28%
5. Preston Smith, Packers, 27%
6. Matthew Judon, Ravens, 27%
7. Jadeveon Clowney, Seahawks, 26%
8. Dante Fowler Jr., Rams, 26%
9. DeMarcus Lawrence, Cowboys, 25%
10. Za'Darius Smith, Packers, 25%

Yep. Takk brings it. That's why I don't complain about him. The problem is if he and Grady aren't winning, nobody is. 31% is high, but it also means 7 out of 10 snaps he's not winning. Grady is winning 21% of the time, so that's another 8 out of 10 snaps he's not. Put them together and you've got nobody winning 50% of the time. Not ideal. 

2 minutes ago, vel said:

Yep. Takk brings it. That's why I don't complain about him. The problem is if he and Grady aren't winning, nobody is. 31% is high, but it also means 7 out of 10 snaps he's not winning. Grady is winning 21% of the time, so that's another 8 out of 10 snaps he's not. Put them together and you've got nobody winning 50% of the time. Not ideal. 

100%

Need more horses in the race...Takk isn't a 1a but if we can get him an actual running mate on the other side I think he can be salvaged.

I was going through a couple more of these sacks and I just had to gif this one up.

Look at this beautiful club over by Grady.  Oh my goodness.  That's perfect.  Line play is hands and leverage.  That offensive lineman wants to get hands on you and lock you out.  Your mission rushing one-on-one is to get his hands off you and make sure he has the smaller target available to work with.  That club over move is ideal.  

Grady sets it up with that little jab step.  That's incredible for a big man.  I wanted to slow it down so everyone could get a good look at it.  That's athleticism right there.  Jab step, to that club.  Use the momentum of that club move to carry you around the offensive linemen, so even if he recovers, he's got no surface to put his hands on.  Clubs the guard out of the way, gets skinny and it's easy money from there to the QB.  I need to go back and do this again, because Clay had a great move too to work half a man and get the edge.  But this is nice.  This is clinic tape right here from Grady.

giphy.gif

Here's a closer view on Clay's rush.  You can see him going for his trademark, cross chop, but the offensive tackle does an excellent job of initiating contact, but Clay is still able to get under him and work half a man.  I think this is a good rush.  In fact, I've seen this flagged as a holding many time this year -- although that doesn't mean much when it comes to the way our games are officiated.  But you can see the edge pressure and interior working in concert.  Drew has nowhere to escape to.

Contrast this to Vic's move on the other side, you see there's no handwork.  He's somewhat handicapped by arm length, but you see there's no attempt to get the tackle's hands off him.  It's a straight speed rush around the end.

giphy.gif

2 hours ago, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

I was going through a couple more of these sacks and I just had to gif this one up.

Look at this beautiful club over by Grady.  Oh my goodness.  That's perfect.  Line play is hands and leverage.  That offensive lineman wants to get hands on you and lock you out.  Your mission rushing one-on-one is to get his hands off you and make sure he has the smaller target available to work with.  That club over move is ideal.  

Grady sets it up with that little jab step.  That's incredible for a big man.  I wanted to slow it down so everyone could get a good look at it.  That's athleticism right there.  Jab step, to that club.  Use the momentum of that club move to carry you around the offensive linemen, so even if he recovers, he's got no surface to put his hands on.  Clubs the guard out of the way, gets skinny and it's easy money from there to the QB.  I need to go back and do this again, because Clay had a great move too to work half a man and get the edge.  But this is nice.  This is clinic tape right here from Grady.

giphy.gif

Here's a closer view on Clay's rush.  You can see him going for his trademark, cross chop, but the offensive tackle does an excellent job of initiating contact, but Clay is still able to get under him and work half a man.  I think this is a good rush.  In fact, I've seen this flagged as a holding many time this year -- although that doesn't mean much when it comes to the way our games are officiated.  But you can see the edge pressure and interior working in concert.  Drew has nowhere to escape to.

Contrast this to Vic's move on the other side, you see there's no handwork.  He's somewhat handicapped by arm length, but you see there's no attempt to get the tackle's hands off him.  It's a straight speed rush around the end.

giphy.gif

That's a hold. You know why? Jake was called for this very thing in the Super Bowl. 

:ninja:

4 hours ago, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

I’ve been telling y’all about Vic. This is his go to move. 

ConfusedEvergreenBuzzard-small.gif

@PeytonMannings Forehead Hey man, I really love your work and the time you spend putting all this together for us, couldn't be more grateful to have you on these forums, please never leave!! 

I see we have made several changes and they have paid dividends in the 1 week after they were made, what I am a bit more curious on is how is this change affecting the CB's? Does this video ring true at all about Oliver? I feel like it has been impossible to evaluate the young guys due to how broken down the D has been the whole year, what's your views on Oliver? Can he live up to this guys hype?

On 11/13/2019 at 6:36 PM, kiwifalcon said:

I look for Takk just to put one other move he can hang his hat on consistently.Much like Clayborns cross chop I look for Takk to be one of those guys.Power Bullrush seems to be his go just add one more and I think he’ll be ok.

AC teachin’ Takk well! :tiphat:

On 11/13/2019 at 2:55 PM, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

Greetings, beautiful people, it's been way too long, but finally, the Falcons have given me something interesting to dig into.  I've made no secret over the years of my love for defensive football, so you can imagine how rough these past few seasons have been.  Every football sensibility I have has been assaulted by these sumbitches in every way, but on Sunday... oh, boy, Sunday was a welcome respite.  For ONE AFTERNOON, our defense was everything I ever wanted it to be, and against the Saints, no less.

Now there was a whole lot of good football to break down Sunday, but for my own selfish reasons, I'm gonna dig into one of my favorite parts of the game: Stunts.  I love me some defensive line stunts.  Not as much as I love run fits, but it's a close second -- kinda like that middle child you love to death, but maybe not quite as much as that first born.  You know what I'm talking about?  Yes?  No?  Ok, you don't have to admit it.  

Just in case there are any questions as to what a defensive line stunt is, it's basically where your pass rushers will exchange rush lanes to confuse the protections. Almost like when the offense aligns their receivers tight to create a natural pick.  Here, we're doing the same thing.  We're trying to create a free runner, to the QB.  It can wreak havoc on a offensive line if it's well timed and executed.  People talk about being creative on defense, being aggressive, bringing pressure... this is a way to accomplish all of that, while rushing four and not compromising your coverage.  There are literally endless combinations of them you can bring: E/T, T/E, Double Tex.  You can E/T on one side and T/E on the other, you can run Pirate, Charlie, then you can bring a backer into it add even more combinations.  The only limit is your imagination.   But for the sake of brevity, I'm gonna focus on this one from the 2nd quarter.

3rd and 4 - 2nd quarter: Now we want to look at the alignment first and the personnel.  Vic's in a wide-9, Takk is next to him inside in a 4 technique on the offensive tackle, Grady is in a 1 tech, and Clay is aaalllll the way to the other side in no-man's land in a 9.  This is a really creative use of personnel.  Your two most athletic pass rushers to one side, next to your best interior rusher, and your best overall pass rusher all by himself.  What do you do as an offensive line with this -- three to one side, one to the other?  Naturally you're gonna want to slide your protection, which way?  And if you do, it's gonna leave you thin somewhere else.  It's almost like when the offense puts three receivers to one side, and Julio all by himself wide to the other.  It forces the coverage to adjust in ways that stresses them.  You dictate terms when you do stuff like that.  But here, we are dictating to the offense and forcing them to adjust.

IMG_1433

This is the game that we have on.  We've got a TEX stunt to the left side of the screen where the Tackle will go first, hard to the outside, while the End will fake a rush upfield, then loop around  inside where the defensive tackle used to be and find the hole.  On the other side we have an Exit stunt where the End will go first.  Here, Clay will take a hard inside move and it's Grady who is supposed to be the looper.

IMG_1434

Here is how it actually plays out.  New Orleans slides their line to Takk and Vic's side, which makes sense.  Clay on the end, makes a hard inside move at the snap.  No wasted motion.  He's going right now to pull that offensive tackle inside.  The back, Murray, is in a check release on the Campbell.  Campbell didn't blitz, so he's gonna release into the pattern.  Kamara to the other side in the wing, gets out immediately, so it's a straight 5 man protection.  It's all on their linemen to beat ours.

IMG_1435

This is the key part of this play.  Grady starts from a 1tech and slants all the way over to the left guard (pictured right) and engages him.  Because he engages him, that guard now cannot pick up Clay coming on the loop.  The tackle on Clay correctly looks to pass him off to the guard and pick up Grady, but Grady ain't coming quite yet.  The game to this side ain't exactly playing out as designed, but that's part of it.  Defensive line coaches tell their guys all the time, "I can't tell you were the hole is going to open up", you just gotta keep rushing and find it.  Be a football player.

IMG_1436

This right here is just pure beauty.  Poor #75 at guard is just all in pieces.  Ain't in position to block nobody.  His man Grady done looped around, and Clay done came out of nowhere and knocked the s*** out of him.  Another thing to look at is because of the alignment and the slide to Takk and Vic, the Center has to block to that side.  So he can't help to the side where our most dangerous rushers are --Clay, and Grady.  He's gotta help out to the other side.

IMG_1437

No commentary needed.  #75 is dog food...

IMG_1438

... And Drew is dead.

IMG_1439

Now to be fair, #75 is in a bad spot.  Usually, and especially when you're a guard, you've got a man over you, so you naturally can pick up those games better.  But this is just an awesome design to screw with the protection of the Saints, knowing they would slide the line to Takk and Vic and that would create one-on-ones for Grady and Clay.  More of this, please.

giphy.gif

Credit @SPITFIRE for looking out on that All-22.

I feel like ever since Quinn’s been here we run more stunts later in the year. I used to think that this was to keep them off tape for as long as possible but clearly that’s not the case.

On 11/14/2019 at 8:25 PM, FalconBlood23 said:

@PeytonMannings Forehead Hey man, I really love your work and the time you spend putting all this together for us, couldn't be more grateful to have you on these forums, please never leave!! 

I see we have made several changes and they have paid dividends in the 1 week after they were made, what I am a bit more curious on is how is this change affecting the CB's? Does this video ring true at all about Oliver? I feel like it has been impossible to evaluate the young guys due to how broken down the D has been the whole year, what's your views on Oliver? Can he live up to this guys hype?

One change I really liked to the secondary last week is we played the corners in a press look. Oliver always looked more comfortable to me up in the receiver’s face. Even in zones we had them pressed in a man look which helped to disguise coverage presnap, and allowed the corners to contest short throws in coverages where we’d previously had them playing off and ceding ground. I like that because it naturally puts guys in a more aggressive mindset, and it allows our long corners to really use their big bodies.

We also got hands on receivers at the snap. Previously, even when we were in press man, for some reason, I didn’t see a lot of jams at the LOS. This is another small adjustment that plays to our guys’ strengths. Now I don’t know just what changed about the communication on the backend, so I can’t offer a real evaluation there, but guys looked a lot more sure of themselves, so it was clearly better as the coaches indicated.

Now I have flat out hated the way Oliver has played to start the season off. There have been too many times where I don’t think he’s showed even basic football awareness, but I can also acknowledge that the whole scheme seemed to have been disjointed from the start, and didn’t always put him in the best spots which can have guys out there looking lost. I can see what the guy in that video likes about Oliver — especially compared to the other names in that class he mentioned.

He’s a guy I’m not ready to give up on yet. Going back and looking at those sacks, there was some nice, sticky coverage in the backend last Sunday.

2 hours ago, ShmevinShmarris said:

I feel like ever since Quinn’s been here we run more stunts later in the year. I used to think that this was to keep them off tape for as long as possible but clearly that’s not the case.

Yeah, DQ seems to be — at least since he’s been here — been more about the details of the technique to make each individual rusher better, as opposed to scheming pressure with games.

As I mentioned in here someone, I saw this advances stat from a few seasons ago where we were near the bottom of the league in called stunts, but near the top in effectiveness when we did run them. So I guess that’s a philosophical thing. Also, when it comes to running games, it takes a fair amount of choreography. Everyone has to be functioning as one, so you gotta have guys doing it together as a unit to get good at them. That may also be part of it.

Just a guess.

11 hours ago, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

Yeah, DQ seems to be — at least since he’s been here — been more about the details of the technique to make each individual rusher better, as opposed to scheming pressure with games.

As I mentioned in here someone, I saw this advances stat from a few seasons ago where we were near the bottom of the league in called stunts, but near the top in effectiveness when we did run them. So I guess that’s a philosophical thing. Also, when it comes to running games, it takes a fair amount of choreography. Everyone has to be functioning as one, so you gotta have guys doing it together as a unit to get good at them. That may also be part of it.

Just a guess.

This is why people downplaying injuries are misguided.

Its the same for the oline.....and it is the same for the secondary.

Anything outside of the most generic base plays requires every guy in their unit to do their job **** near perfectly.

Little mistakes lead to big plays.

On 11/13/2019 at 6:11 PM, athell said:

It's not popular with some, but his win rate speaks for itself.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/27584726/nfl-pass-blocking-pass-rushing-rankings-2019-pbwr-prwr-leaderboard

Top 10 DE/OLB Pass Rush Win Rate

1. T.J. Watt, Steelers, 32%
2. Robert Quinn, Cowboys, 31%
3. Takkarist McKinley, Falcons, 31%
4. Myles Garrett, Browns, 28%
5. Preston Smith, Packers, 27%
6. Matthew Judon, Ravens, 27%
7. Jadeveon Clowney, Seahawks, 26%
8. Dante Fowler Jr., Rams, 26%
9. DeMarcus Lawrence, Cowboys, 25%
10. Za'Darius Smith, Packers, 25%

Wow.